So MVP really is just a bunch of bull, huh?

Just finished Sothis's paralogue today and first things first I love how Edelgard tries to hide her not-so-little crush on Byleth when you could seriously cut the UST between those two with an ax- I mean knife lol

But to get back on topic, I have absolutely no clue what the game's thinking when it chooses an MVP. Throughout the entire battle, Ingrid proved herself to be the true MVP, dishing out the most damage to the monsters and getting the kill on five of them, including the boss. The rest of the party all did very well, especially Byleth and Edelgard, but I was surprised when Byleth, not Ingrid, was named MVP. I mean, I won't complain about the motivation boost for everyone, but damn if Ingrid wasn't snubbed on that one.

I'd ask a speedrunner/LTCer or hacker, either of them with a YouTube or Twitch channel with videos/VODs proving they know enough about the game to speed through it.  I wouldn't trust random nobs on the internet to answer conclusively, and the vast majority of people either forget details like how many exact kills certain units got over others or they aren't the type to test things repeatedly like a speedrunner or a hacker would.

I'm not sure how MVP is calculated, beyond that kills definitely seem to matter a lot. If anyone knows count me among those who would like to hear the exact method, but short of that sort of thing being put in an official guide or a LOT of testing it might be difficult to determine.

Also, a minor comment, but regarding "I won't complain about the motivation boost for everyone"... I actually find that pretty worthless overall? It's only a 25 boost and under normal circumstances you want 100, and most major methods of motivation boosting give you that much anyway (meals, support conversation with Byleth) with a few more giving 50, so I find one person getting a full boost more useful than a bunch of 25's.

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I find one person getting a full boost more useful than a bunch of 25's.

Definitely this. A Byleth MVP won't save me any points for dinner.

But on topic, I always had the impression MVP meant "was in the most battles", but most kills could also definitely be it. But yes, the game never picks the one I truly think did the best work for MVP, sadly.

15 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How many kills did Byleth get? If it's more than five, that's why.

That depends on what counts as a kill here. Each monster had to be "killed" twice. My strategy was to have Edelgard attack first to break one barrier, and then Byleth to break the second, which usually killed the monster for the first time. Then I had someone like Petra or Bernadetta snipe the last two barriers (which didn't do all that much damage to the monster itself) and Ingrid knocked off that last half of its healthbar. As more beasties started showing up I had to improvise a bit and Ingrid started taking on a few of the birds herself. I don't think she got the first kill on any of them but she did get the second. So if that first kill counts then yeah Byleth may have gotten more, but Ingrid definitely killed the most for real. Doesn't really matter in the end though haha. Was just surprised cause I thought Ingrid had it for sure on that one.

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Also, a minor comment, but regarding "I won't complain about the motivation boost for everyone"... I actually find that pretty worthless overall? It's only a 25 boost and under normal circumstances you want 100, and most major methods of motivation boosting give you that much anyway (meals, support conversation with Byleth) with a few more giving 50, so I find one person getting a full boost more useful than a bunch of 25's.

Ah, I never realized it was a flat 25. For some reason I thought I remembered it giving more sometimes. Thanks for the info, though. Maybe I'll rethink doing battles all month then since I don't wanna be stuck training my benched units every Sunday.

12 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Personally, I find 25 boost to all be better. If you use gifts/flowers to motivate student, it really helps you save money/flowers. Doing this helps saves activity points for other things like: tournament(helps with money/fast professor exp), sauna, cooking, and tutoring.

Objectively, dining is the worst thing you can spend activity points on(or 2nd).

13 minutes ago, leesangstar10 said:

Personally, I find 25 boost to all be better. If you use gifts/flowers to motivate student, it really helps you save money/flowers. Doing this helps saves activity points for other things like: tournament(helps with money/fast professor exp), sauna, cooking, and tutoring.

Objectively, dining is the worst thing you can spend activity points on(or 2nd).

I disagree - I don't know about you, but I find I'm better off gardening with something other than flower seeds more often than not. Buying gifts runs into the issue of only one being available every month, and as a result can get rather pricey quickly. For these reasons, I fail to see a Byleth MVP doing much of anything for me.

Edited by Shadow Mir

32 minutes ago, leesangstar10 said:

Even if you feel that way, a 25 boost to everyone (which is only going to be like 6-9 relevant people at most, so 150-225) is only somewhat lighter on gifts than a 100 boost to one.

Definitely disagree on this meals antihype too! For the price of one activity point you get (a) 200 motivation recharge, (b) build supports between three pairs of people, and (c) 200 prof exp, the highest of anything which isn't arena. It's one of the better actions. Just compare choir (which I don't consider bad): less prof exp, no motivation recharge. Faculty training is also clearly worse overall, since it gives no prof exp and obviously is much less helpful in other ways (a 200 motivation recharge translates into anywhere from 32 to 100+ class exp from instruct, while neutral facultry training averages under 30).

What I usually do when I want to conserve activity points is I plant flowers, then look at who likes the flowers I have at least 2 of, then give that student 2 flowers for 50 boost each. If they are already at 25, I still need to give them 2 gifts. (Added negative is that if a unit has 75 motivation, they get the same green smiley as 100 motivation and I often miss that I still need to give them a gift.)

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Definitely disagree on this meals antihype too! For the price of one activity point you get (a) 200 motivation recharge, (b) build supports between three pairs of people, and (c) 200 prof exp, the highest of anything which isn't arena. It's one of the better actions. Just compare choir (which I don't consider bad): less prof exp, no motivation recharge. Faculty training is also clearly worse overall, since it gives no prof exp and obviously is much less helpful in other ways (a 200 motivation recharge translates into anywhere from 32 to 100+ class exp from instruct, while neutral facultry training averages under 30).

Gonna have to second this, especially since meals are one of the only ways outside of battle to build support between my non-Byleth couples.