Video games are just not doing it for me.

I don't know if its age or this shity year, but games to me are losing there magic. I feel guilty playing them. They are not as impactful as a good book or art in me at this point. Plus my brain keeps telling me to focus on working out, self improvement, art, writing or studying instead of playing a game. Even then if i play a game just change difficulty if things get too hard on them now to save time. 

Its getting to the point where my favorite games like Xenoblade aren't doing it for me.  Guess I will have to accept the fact I'm not longer a hard core gamer and more casual. I'm at this line where the only thing that will make me buy a new console is a new fire emblem game. 

Life goes on. 

You dare disrespect the gamer creed!?

Don't guilt yourself over how you spend your time - or how you play your games. Self improvement especially is a heck of an excuse. Boy do I feel like a schlub lately when trading small talk with friends who are doing productive things and I only mention games and movies from the last few days. And great games aren't going anywhere. When you feel the itch to play, just relax and play.

Over the last few years I’ve started to feel the same way about playing video games. If you want to engage with art that fulfills you I would suggest trying to read more. If your looking to get into reading fantasy I’ve posted a list of my recommendations in the Entertainment forum.

just a part of life, we all get burred out on things we enjoy

one thing I've found that as I get older is that I really don't like as many games as I used to, and I don't play as often, but what games I do get to play I enjoy a lot more

I'm also much bigger into tabletop games since there's a really good social aspect to it, and I've made some really good friends through it

-

take a break from games and do something else, you're probably a little burned out from the hobby, I hadn't played a shooter in years but I've loved DOOM Eternal, because the game's missions are reasonably sized and just sticks to the action. This is coming from a guy who used to spend 5 hours a day on Halo 3 while I was in 6-7th grade

I would not feel guilty about playing videogames and thinking it is not productive. There are many different types of videogames and each type exercise a different part of the brain. For Fire Emblem itself, it is a turn based tactics game and that jogs your brain to use logic and planning, and Heroes in particular uses a lot of logic and math. I am not sure about Xenoblade, but I imagine it to be similar to Skyrim, so I will speak for Skyrim. For Skyrim, while you do not need to use logic to the same degree as Fire Emblem, there are still tactical elements at play to solve dungeons. You can choose to sneak around obstacles and tackle challenges more tactically, or go all in with Fus-Roh-Dah and bash skulls. And even if you choose the mindless hack-and-slash route, there is still a lot of planning involved in what skills to take and what potions to buy while also exercising your hand-eye-coordination during combat.

If you do not feel motivated to play games though, then I would just do something else that you feel more motivated to do.

12 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm also much bigger into tabletop games since there's a really good social aspect to it, and I've made some really good friends through it

Yeah, board games are fun. I rather play board games face to face with my friends rather than play co-op online with my friends. Online interaction is not bad, but I think face to face feels better, at least for me personally. I am down with playing videogames face to face with my friends too and that is just as fun as playing board games face to face. While we can all bring our laptops to someone's house to solve the split screen issue, lag then becomes more of a problem.

I just want the viral crisis to be over soon so I can get to back interacting with my friends normally.

I have to be honest I only play videogames which challenge my brain and / or increase my wisdom. For example Fire Emblem is a series which requires at least basics in mathematics and logical thought. Sim City is a series which requires a good dealing with given ressources. So yeah, that's why I wouldn't count videogames as unproductive.

Then find something that makes you happy.  If you're not sure what that is, try different things until something sticks.  Would recommend against any sort of financial commitment in the beginning, though.

Edited by eclipse

This came to me with age and it's never gone away. I still play games. Just not as many different ones and I'm far less prone to spending time on games I don't really really like. You'll find a way to deal with it! 🙂

So do what you feel like doing instead of what you feel obligated to feel like doing.

That might sound confusing but basically what I mean is that if you feel obligated to game because it's the only way people will know you're a gamer, you're not really playing games for their exact purpose, which is entertainment. Instead you're playing them because you feel you need to mark yourself as a person that is known for playing games.

So I ask you...

Why?

Take for example Jackie Chan. Without looking into it too deeply, you'd be unlikely to know that he's a fan of Dragon Ball. I sure as hell didn't know until recently.

You don't need to broadcast your interests unless you're looking to meet or help people with those same interests.

Take a break, have some fun with something else. The popularity of video games isn't gonna drop off the map by the time you feel you want to come back to them. I promise.

Edited by Light Strategist

7 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

So do what you feel like doing instead of what you feel obligated to feel like doing.

That might sound confusing but basically what I mean is that if you feel obligated to game because it's the only way people will know you're a gamer, you're not really playing games for their exact purpose, which is entertainment. Instead you're playing them because you feel you need to mark yourself as a person that is known for playing games.

So I ask you...

Why?

Take for example Jackie Chan. Without looking into it too deeply, you'd be unlikely to know that he's a fan of Dragon Ball. I sure as hell didn't know until recently.

You don't need to broadcast your interests unless you're looking to meet or help people with those same interests.

Take a break, have some fun with something else. The popularity of video games isn't gonna drop off the map by the time you feel you want to come back to them. I promise.

No that's not it at all, if that was the reason I wouldn't even be on this website. I  stop caring what other people thing of me a long time ago. 

16 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

I have to be honest I only play videogames which challenge my brain and / or increase my wisdom. For example Fire Emblem is a series which requires at least basics in mathematics and logical thought. Sim City is a series which requires a good dealing with given ressources. So yeah, that's why I wouldn't count videogames as unproductive.

Yeah I feel that. Fire emblem is the only  type games that challenge my brain instead of my patience (that's way I never liked dark souls, I was never the mlg type of person.)

As long as they aren't played to excess, their isn't anything wrong with playing games in the end it's just a story, gameplay, and a screen so I really do think gamers should get invested in other hobbies outside of video games (like playing an instrument, swimming, and visiting different places), you can either pursue another hobby or skill, or if you've been playing games for a long time go to the next level and become a developer! Not only is there money (as we know) to be had if you're good but you can also impact lives by encouraging and giving hope to people.

Edited by Fates-Blade