Contest Proposal: "SF Ruins Fire Emblem" Single-Chapter Bi-Monthly Hacking Contest

AnonymousSpeed

A lot of people on this site have ideas for Fire Emblem games they'd like to make, but these ideas are usually narrative in nature.

Fire Emblem is a series of video games, so even more important than the story is how fun it is to play. That's why it's important that we can hone our map design skills.

That is why I am announcing a new contest, "SF Ruins Fire Emblem." This competition will take place over 2-month long cycles and give the aspiring hackers of Serenes Forest an outlet to practice making fun chapters and get feedback on their efforts.

"SF Ruins Fire Emblem" is meant to take the model of the "Write Your Butt Off" short story competition and apply it to making Fire Emblem maps. Each cycle would feature contestants making a single-chapter hack in "Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones" and sharing their labor with others for review. However, as said before, this competition would be bimonthly instead of biweekly.

• Odd numbered months would be the design phase, it is from the first day of the month until the last day of the month that you are able to work on and submit your entry.
  • Even numbered months would be dedicated to judging and theme selection.
    • During the first three weeks of even numbered months, a public poll will be put up for people to vote for their favorite chapter.
    • The remainder of the month would be a rest period, during which the winner can think up their theme for the next round.

Themes would work much like in WYBO- a general idea for players to build their chapter around. This could be nearly anything, for example:

• Make a seize chapter
  • No 1-2 range weapons for the player
  • All 1-2 range weapons for the enemy
  • Give the player a team consisting entirely of mages
  • Implement a certain patch in your chapter

A lot of people want to start with full-length hacks, which is a massive undertaking for inexperienced hackers. This would hopefully give some concrete goals which can be used to gain experience at a more appropriate pace. The advantage of having a contest like this as compared to events like MAFC is that it's small scale, so there's less pressure for those unfamiliar with the basics to push beyond their ability, and it's more regular.

So, who's interested in participating?

I'm working on my own full length hack right now *cough* *cough* here's the thread, no one's commented on it yet *cough* *cough*

But I would definitely consider working on this if time permits.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm working on my own full length hack right now *cough* *cough* here's the thread, no one's commented on it yet *cough* *cough*

I'm sorry man, but I don't have any graphical skills. Looks cool though.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

I would like to sign up but the procedure seems way too complicated @.@ I don't even know how to properly make units talk or have enemies appear.

3 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I would like to sign up but the procedure seems way too complicated @.@ I don't even know how to properly make units talk or have enemies appear.

I could help you with that, if you want!

6 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

You won't learn unless something pushes you to do so. Those are both quite easy things in Fire Emblem GBA Builder. On the right of the main is screen there's a bunch of character faces pointing to other character faces. You just need to click on that, change which characters are talking to which, and then edit the script that's being displayed (if the chapter doesn't have any character conversations by default then you need to add them, which is very slightly more difficult, but play around in a chapter that already has character conversations first). 

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

You won't learn unless something pushes you to do so. Those are both quite easy things in Fire Emblem GBA Builder. On the right of the main is screen there's a bunch of character faces pointing to other character faces. You just need to click on that, change which characters are talking to which, and then edit the script that's being displayed (if the chapter doesn't have any character conversations by default then you need to add them, which is very slightly more difficult, but play around in a chapter that already has character conversations first). 

I'll see what I can do given that information.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:46 AM, This boi uses Nino said:

I'll see what I can do given that information.

There's an FEBuilder tutorial you can check out:

You don't even need to watch the whole thing to reach a somewhat-functional level.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 8:58 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

"SF Ruins Fire Emblem" is meant to take the model of the "Write Your Butt Off" short story competition and apply it to making Fire Emblem maps. Each cycle would feature contestants making a single-chapter hack in "Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones" and sharing their labor with others for review. However, as said before, this competition would be bimonthly instead of biweekly.

• Odd numbered months would be the design phase, it is from the first day of the month until the last day of the month that you are able to work on and submit your entry.
  • Even numbered months would be dedicated to judging and theme selection.
    • During the first three weeks of even numbered months, a public poll will be put up for people to vote for their favorite chapter.
    • The remainder of the month would be a rest period, during which the winner can think up their theme for the next round.

Is this contest going to start up tomorrow (or possibly today by the time anyone sees this), and if so where is it going to open up? Will this topic going to become the contest topic, or will a new one be opening up?

I am not entirely sure if I will join in, but it does seem interesting, and a good enough reason as any to start learning FE hacking.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Is this contest going to start up tomorrow (or possibly today by the time anyone sees this), and if so where is it going to open up? Will this topic going to become the contest topic, or will a new one be opening up?

I am not entirely sure if I will join in, but it does seem interesting, and a good enough reason as any to start learning FE hacking.

I will be starting the topic later today, hopefully.