In the ending of Verdant Wind, do you think that Rhea really...? (Spoiler)

Just some thoughts from my recent replay of VW:

In the ending of VW, it is implied Rhea died from her wounds (despite not being fought by Byleth as final boss)

But do you think she really "died" there?

I think it is possible that her "death" was in the same vain as Sothis, Byleth or Flayn earlier,

that rather than true death like human, she's being sealed away again in a long slumber to recover from her wounds.

Her death in VW was not directly from violence, but slowly progression from exhaustion during imprisonment followed by the wounds (which she recovers from in Silver Snow)

Sounds very similar to how Sothis exhausted her power following fighting the war and rebuild the world.

I don't think there really is a definitive answer in the game, just wondering what people think about this.

I'm a teensy bit of a Rhea stan myself, so I prefer to think that she literally did retire to Zanado to live out the rest of her life in peace: however long she has left.

I'm in two minds about the idea of Rhea going into a sleep state.  On the one hand, I kinda want her to survive because I think she's a fascinating character.  On the other hand, I also feel like Verdant Wind is very much about moving forward, away from the old systems, so it would make a degree of thematic sense.

I brought this up because the game earlier, especially in Silver Snow implies the Byleth actually "died" fell off the cliff, but recovers from their injury using Nabatean slumbering

Flayn: Well, um... Actually, I have a question for the professor. My brother mentioned that...you slumbered for five years. Where was it that you slept?

Byleth: Under a rock.

Flayn: Under a rock... How similar we are! As it were, I took my rest in a casket made of stone.

Byleth: I don't know.

Flayn: Oh. Well, I suppose one's first long slumber is difficult to recall...

Byleth: ...

Silver Snow Chapter 14:** A King Without a Kingdom

Sothis: You… How long do you intend to sleep? Your body is awake. Your eyes must open now, and you must find the strength to stand upon those legs of yours.

Magic Wielder: My reading of the stars predicted that, during the war, you would fall to your death.

Silver Snow Chapter 21: Following a Dream

It seems to me the game strongly hints the slumber is actually Nabatean way recovering from severe or near fatal injuries, like Tiki did in Marth games. (Young Tiki would go back to slumber she "dies" in the game).

**Another question here, what's the chapter name here "A King without a Kingdom" referred to?

Who's the king, who's kingdom? It's definitely not Dimitri since he has minimum screentime in Silver Snow.

Edited by Timlugia

So far, all good points in this thread.

That said, I like to believe Rhea died from her wounds in VW. Catherine doesn't have her Zanado endings and you can't marry Rhea in this route, despite it being almost exactly the same route as SS. The worst part is that I have to headcanon the differences between the two endings because Three Houses doesn't show you why things ended up the same.

My VW headcanon is that Rhea ate a few extra missiles and expired not long after Nemesis was defeated. She even feels her own death approaching, based on her words. Maybe she decided to give up, let Claude and the others lead, and allowed her body to shut down instead of fighting it?

My SS headcanon is that she tanked less missiles, which hit Shambhala in slightly different places and dropped rubble onto Nemesis... So no Nemesis in this route. Rhea has a slightly better chance at surviving, but since that means she won't expire as quickly but instead remain in a weakened state for longer, her crest/dragon powers take the opportunity to go out of control since she can't fight it? And she survives at a higher support level because your "connection" leads to a better understanding on how to heal Nabateans (which Byleth would presumably do after the "Wailing" cutscene?)? ???

Ugh. So much gets explained in Three Houses or implied, even if you have to piece it together. But the different endings in VW and SS desperately needed better explanations as to why things happened that way.

3 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

Most likely actually dead. We can only hope anyways.

1 hour ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Found the Edelgard fan.

Wrong thread for this nonsense, both of you.

My take is that Rhea's actual fate is irrelevant.  The "injuries" are the reason why she steps down - once she's out of the story, it doesn't matter if she dies, goes to sleep, or quietly lives out the rest of her life.  I wouldn't mind the third option, so she can see what a world with better diplomatic relations with Almyra looks like!

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

My take is that Rhea's actual fate is irrelevant.  The "injuries" are the reason why she steps down - once she's out of the story, it doesn't matter if she dies, goes to sleep, or quietly lives out the rest of her life.  I wouldn't mind the third option, so she can see what a world with better diplomatic relations with Almyra looks like!

This.
I believe it's left vague because it doesn't matter in VW whether she lives or dies. Rhea's time is over, whether she died with her sins or lived to repent them. Fodlan is in new hands.

EDIT: That said I'm really not for Rhea dying. I'd rather her not get off scot-free for the ignorance she'd had throughout her life as Archbishop. She had the 5 years of imprisonment, but for a nearly ageless being, that's practically nothing. She deserves to live with the reality of what she did, or didn't.

. Y'know that sounded really harsh, and it was. For the record, Rhea's probably my favorite character in 3H in terms of just her character, I just don't believe she deserves the luxury of death.

Edited by Emerson

4 hours ago, Slyfox said:

So far, all good points in this thread.

That said, I like to believe Rhea died from her wounds in VW. Catherine doesn't have her Zanado endings and you can't marry Rhea in this route, despite it being almost exactly the same route as SS. The worst part is that I have to headcanon the differences between the two endings because Three Houses doesn't show you why things ended up the same.

I think she died in VW regardless, but question is if she's "dead" dead lorewise.

Like does she die a permanent death? or did she die in the sense of Sothis, Tiki, Flayn and Byleth, being sealed away for long period of time (maybe hundred or even thousands years), but eventually return to the mortal world?

As far as we know, Nabatean has some really strange physiology, like how Sitri does'n decompose even after her heart was removed, or that Relics all contain beating heart of it's original owner.

Furthering that, if Sothis could return to mortal world by implanting her heart into a compatible body, does that mean it could be done on all other dead Nabatean (including those in Holy Tomb) as long as their crest stones (heart) remain?

Story writing wise I agree with eclipse. It's more a way to get Rhea out of picture in Verdant Wind politics. But I too think it's cool if Rhea "returns" centuries later to witness a new society. Maybe then she will finally enjoy the peace with rest of her remaining families.

12 hours ago, eclipse said:

Wrong thread for this nonsense, both of you.

My apologies. I wasn't trying to fire anything up. I'm just tired of that arguement being brought up absolutely everywhere Rhea is so much as name dropped. 

Now, on to the important topic, I like to believe that Rhea simply stepped down from any and all official positions and retired herself to a small home away from the rest of the world to watch how Byleth would handle the world she'd left to them. If she has to die, I prefer the idea of her doing so when she's alone, peacefully returning to her mother's embrace.