Could Forging work as a mechanic in a FE 4 remake

Shrimp Boat

So I was playing echos and noticed the forging system in the game I am pretty sure this was not in Fe 2 

So if a Fe 4 remake ever came out I think a Forging system of some kind would be pretty cool it probably would not function like it did in echos and more like forging in Fe 9 or 10 where you could change the stats on a weapon individually like hit rate, MT and so on. The weapons in FE4 already feel pretty unique even ones like the silver sword you get in the prologue its not just a silver sword its Sigurd's  Silver sword. Idk how limited the system would have to be as to not take away the value of the sheer power of holy weapons ( unless they can be forged to ). I just think I would be a cool little edition to give weapons the extra bit of flair. oh and you should be able to change the name of non holy weapons, and the forged weapons would cost more in the pawn shop. 

idk if this has been posted before I looked for a bit and couldn't find anything like it so I hope I am not breaking any rules 

Hmmm. . .

FE4 had a cool mechanic in the form of kills.  I also like Awakening's "X number of modifications total".   Why not combine the two?  Each weapon's MT, Hit, and WT can be modified, with each individual stat having a limit of five changes total.  You get one point for every ten kills, up to 5 (for a total of 50 kills).  Forging one MT costs one point for melee weapons and two points for any weapon whose range is greater than one, while forging 5 hit/-1 WT is one point.

Points based off kills sounds like a cool idea but i feel It might make it a bit shallow i guess not many weapons except for a small handful will ever get +30 kills in my experience and not many will ever even reach 50 or beyond however I have only played the game twice so I might not be 100% accurate.

I think limited modification amount would be a good idea but awakening and Fe4 have some what different stats for weapons as in the silver axe in 4 having 22 MT and the silver axe in awakening having 15 MT a 7 point difference. So maybe Increase the amount of modifications to a degree idk maybe 6 or 7 would work  

Also I think increasing cost for weapons with a range over 1 screws over both magic and especially bows and even then Javelins and Hand axes aren't even that good in FE4 compared to say FE10 where they can be forged and are very good. So i think Increasing their forge cost is holly unnecessary (also both Javelins and Hand axes don't get many kills anyway)

also forged holy weapons would on second thought not be as dumb as I thought as they already kill everything anyway 

Would require the weight on magic to be overhauled, naturally (because why is a Fire tome four times the weight of a sword?).  This game is fairly EP focused, and nonsense like a +7 MT Javelin will break the game in half.  Yes it'll screw over bows, but IMO I think mounted bow units should gain melee weapons on promotion, while infantry bow units get innate Critical.  Also, raise the general offensive stats on bows, as they only get one phase to utilize their effectiveness.

Yeah a 7+ might Javelin would be pretty broken so maybe Increase cost for 1-2 range melee weapons idk about magic as It would need a rework anyway due to the weight issue. Ranged mounted units should get a 1 range option most likely swords cause that is what nomads get on promotion. I don't think bows should cost extra to be honest. I have to ask though are their enemy snipers cause I can't remember having a bunch of enemy's that have critical would be a pain to deal with. Yeah bows should get buffs but I find in most cases that extra might on a bow wouldn't be as big of a deal as on other weapons as bows are surprisingly good at killing at least the better ones (Silver, Killer, Brave etc), I think what bows really need (thats not a good enemy phase) is more Hit in FE4 as a lot of bows have somewhat low hit chance. 

So basically their is no reason to increase the cost for bows and I didn't think about how broken a +7 Mt Javelin would be and magic needs a rework anyway        

Hmmm.  Perhaps weapons with a fixed range, then.  Still think that bows being able to attack without countering is valuable even if I think they're a little too weak compared to the rest of the weapons, and having a bunch of nitwits with Critical would make ballista more annoying than necessary.

Critical on Ballista don't give me flashback the FE5 Ballistas 

But yeah I agree for the most part but I had a somewhat funny idea what if by some divine miracle you get the enough kills on a bow to all possible points for forging you can use them all to get 1 range on a bow I mean it would be a long time before that's even possible. Just a funny idea 

I didn't even think about Forges on enemies though i doubt even forged weapons could stop Sigurd. Only a god can stop Sigurd or maybe a BBQ 

Though Forges on enemies would and should be limited I don't think their where any enemies in echos with forges so I doubt their would be any on enemies 

Also so more ideas maybe certain skills can be forged onto weapons like adept but not critical for obviously  

While forging would be welcome for Hit you might need to consider scaling back the weapons' base Might. Silver Swords are already running around with 14 and the next lowest silver has 18. Echoes' fixed forging is probably the way to go because of how absurd some weapons (Braves) would get under the free-form system.

Another consideration is that weapons don't just break into nothing, they break and can be repaired. Would the forged status stay or would it have to be reforged? The latter might add more depth to the economy and make for better balancing.

54 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Hmmm.  Perhaps weapons with a fixed range, then.  Still think that bows being able to attack without countering is valuable even if I think they're a little too weak compared to the rest of the weapons, and having a bunch of nitwits with Critical would make ballista more annoying than necessary.

A range bonus would help more than a crit bonus, it gives them a hard niche over mounted bows and a crit bonus high enough to matter (i.e. be reliable) would make them frustrating to fight on enemy phase.

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

While forging would be welcome for Hit you might need to consider scaling back the weapons' base Might. Silver Swords are already running around with 14 and the next lowest silver has 18. Echoes' fixed forging is probably the way to go because of how absurd some weapons (Braves) would get under the free-form system.

Another consideration is that weapons don't just break into nothing, they break and can be repaired. Would the forged status stay or would it have to be reforged? The latter might add more depth to the economy and make for better balancing.

I think it can easily fixed by increasing the repair price for forged weapon.

Forging would probably work pretty well, I think. It would help the weapons seem more individual, which is one of the cool things about FE4.

12 hours ago, Shrimp Boat said:

Idk how limited the system would have to be as to not take away the value of the sheer power of holy weapons ( unless they can be forged to ).

I wouldn't worry too much about holy weapons seeming weaker by comparison. They're more absurd than I think forging could make a Steel Sword.

One thing to note is that you probably wouldn't be able to forge Crit onto weapons due to how crits work in FE4, but hit and might alone are probably fine.

12 hours ago, Shrimp Boat said:

Fe 9 or 10 where you could change the stats on a weapon individually like hit rate, MT and so on

this'll be very broken considering fe4 weapons are infinite use so you can just get a 100 kill forged brave sword or whatever and go fucking nuts

100 kill forged javelin time