Resonant Battles General Thread

Vicious Sal

Resonant Battles:

hqdefault.jpg

So Resonant battles are here, this is the place to discuss score, strategy and everything else related to the mode. Look here for help when you're stuck, spread some salt if you're annoyed at the scoring system, be happy that it's a fun little challenge and doesn't require daily play. you name it, talk about it here.

What are Resonant Battles:

The goal is to defeat all the thieves that move 1 space at a time (apparently Arena Assault items turn you into armour units) before they reach the top of the map. Defeat or circumvent the other units on the map and race to the top to maximise your score. Use Heroes from the two featured games to gain a boost in their stats and boost to your score. You can earn different rewards each week ranging from feathers to divine codes to divine dew to blessings.

feh-chan-june-016.jpg

Whilst battling and defeating the thieves, you might gain the items they stole. These are the same as the Arena Assault items and can be used during your play. 

Keep in mind that you only get 5 tries each season, so make them count! The mode will alternate every other week with Allegiance battles.

How should I tackle this mode?

Obviously, you want to speed along the map. So items that grant extra actions are a key skill to have on your units. Luckily, this mode does not check your skills for scoring purposes. So no need to run rally+ skills and Duel skills. You can use pivot, reposition, pass and more to aid your units in getting to the top of the map in time. Be mindful of the fact that the mode does use other ways to calculate score, so pay attention and find a balance between scoring well and using units and skills that are useful to this mode.

Scoring:

Though the mode does not need high SP cost skills, the scoring is once again geared to favour whales, though it is not the worst system out there! The highest intervals are probably for whales only. You'll see why in a moment:

Score is based on: 

- Number of Thieves killed x 10

- A + 10 score boost if you deploy either 0 or 1 dancer. 2 Dancers will lose you 10 points of scoring.

- Number of Units from the bonus titles games x 10 

- Harmonized units deployed (max 2) x the number of bonus title heroes x 5. 

The max amount of merges for Harmonised heroes. Each merge adds 1 point

So what does this mean:

- For your dancer, Peony or L!Azura are the best if they are in season. They offer great mobility for your team, so if they're available, don't miss out on them. Reyson/Leanne are also great because of their own enhanced mobility and the option to Galeforce themselves. The dancer can dance as many times as they want, unlike some Limited Hero Battle restrictions, but for optimal scoring, use only one dancer.

Each season has two game titles as bonus E.G.: Radiant Dawn and Awakening, units from these games boost your score. Using games from the bonus titles is one of the biggest ways to increase your score. Luckily, merges do not matter for the bonus heroes themselves, so even a +0 Ike can score just as well as a + Ike. 

Harmonised heroes boost your score, a lot. When you deploy a Harmonised hero, your other units gain a score boost, and the Harmonised heroes themselves also gains this score boost. So with 1 Hermonised hero, the score per bonus hero goes from 10 to 15. With two of them, the score goes to 20. So an optimal deployment order is 2 Harmonised heroes and 2 Bonus heroes. 

Merges do matter for Harmonised heroes. This is whale scoring bonus. Every merge on a Harmonised hero adds a point of score. Since there are 14 different game titles based on the Feh categorisation, you'll need Harmonised heroes spanning 13 different titles to have bonus harmonised heroes for every game combination.  So this mode is keen on making you spend your orbs here. The fact that merges matter as well, means that the highest ranks are most likely only reachable by whales, who not only are able to get highly merged Harmonised heroes on their debut banners, but also have fully built units from every game title ready to go through the mode.

So what can I do to maximise my score?

If you want to do well, the following things are advised:

- Try and get a Harmonised hero for every game title so be able to always have bonus scores applicable.

- Prioritise Melee Harmonised heroes over ranged ones if possible for added units that can galeforce.

- Keep two of the same harmonised heroes around if you're not going for merges. 2 + 0 Harmonised heroes offer more score than 1+1 hero.

What kind of skills should I be using?

Shoutouts L!Edelgard for her special way of Galeforcing. L!Chrom and L!Lucina might also be helpful since they can move units without wasting their turn.

- Pass and Lunge are great skills to use. 

- Pivot and Reposition are valuable. Smite can also be used, though it means leaving another unit behind(Maybe useful for a harmonised hero to use)

- Cavalry units are great to use with their added reach. 

- Armour March can be good if the map has many trenches.

- Fury with Wings of mercy/Escape route is great, everything that adds mobility is good.

- Weapons of skills that offer mobility are useful. Noatun, Warp powder etc can also be used to gain an advantage.

- Ground orders, Flier formation etc are all very valuable skills.

- Link and Snag skills are useful to debuff the guards whilst moving forward.

And that's pretty much it Summoners! Good luck out there! Let us know what works for you!

Edited by Vicious Sal

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The enemies have skills that restore 10 Hp and inflict +1 special cooldown on who ever kills them, so that nerfs Galeforce, Wings of Mercy, etc.

Looking at the map you could kill the thief in front of the wall with a range cavalier unit then shove them and catch the thief beyond the trench. I noticed that I don't have any ranged cavalier units from Radiant Dawn, and I not sure if there are any, so that is probably in part to why the Resonant Mia/Lucina is a ranged cavalier unit. Didn't notice that the other set of bonus units were from Heroes so ranged cavalry is definitely available here.

Edited by LoneStar

Galeforce is impossible to pull of due to that Pulse Smoke-like effect every enemy has so the only reliable users of extra actions are L!Edelgard, L!Lucina and L!Chrom. If I read correctly using 1 dancer doesn't penalize you so 1 dancer with WoM is certainly useful. Smite and Pass are EXTREMELY strong here (for Smite strats make sure the Smite bot also has WoM so they can join the fray later) because your goal should be to get rid of the thieves on the upper side of the map and go down from there. 

Cavalry and Flying Laguz (whenever RD is part of the rotation) are pretty great here. Luckily it seems this mode doesn't use the arena score system so you're free to bring all your +0s and you'll do fine. Having Harmonic heroes act as Mythics do for Mjolnir's Strike is a pain, but that shouldn't matter too much until tier 19~21 gets established.

I like that this doesn't use Arena scoring, but I don't like the limited number of tries. Still, it's not too hard if you look at the map for a second and realize you can skip over most of the non-thief enemies. Nice little mode that doesn't take up much time, which is great.

2 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Galeforce is impossible to pull of due to that Pulse Smoke-like effect every enemy has so the only reliable users of extra actions are L!Edelgard, L!Lucina and L!Chrom. If I read correctly using 1 dancer doesn't penalize you so 1 dancer with WoM is certainly useful. Smite and Pass are EXTREMELY strong here (for Smite strats make sure the Smite bot also has WoM so they can join the fray later) because your goal should be to get rid of the thieves on the upper side of the map and go down from there. 

Cavalry and Flying Laguz (whenever RD is part of the rotation) are pretty great here. Luckily it seems this mode doesn't use the arena score system so you're free to bring all your +0s and you'll do fine. Having Harmonic heroes act as Mythics do for Mjolnir's Strike is a pain, but that shouldn't matter too much until tier 19~21 gets established.

Yarne too can still GF if he gets HP down enough. I haven't really tried specifics too much because of the limited amount of tries but that's partly me thinking Awakening was a bonus because of Marth lol

It doesn't use Arena scoring system, but uses a system similar to AR. Not a fan, but at least I can use the Heroes I want (from those games).

If this mode is trying to sell me a Harmonized Hero, it failed hard.

At least I liked the gameplay. I got my max score (310) in my first try, by using Laevatein, Mordecai, Reyson and Líf.

I have difficulty getting the last two Thieves due to the distance and guards, and trying to get them with a high mobility unit from another game does not seem worth it according to the scoring criteria. My highest score is 290 with RS!Alfonse, Mirabilis, BB!Micaiah, and Altina with no death and missing out on two Thieves.

I have one more try left, so I think I will retry it over the weekend once I level up my SP!Mias.

Wow the mode was a lot more brain-dead than I thought it'd be, expected it to take more than 1 try to get the max score. Maybe next time will be harder if we don't have access to cheese like 3-mov Laguz.

Also completely forgot we could use Heroes units as well, and that items existed.

Nice that we're not forced to field +10s with max sp bin though.

Spoiler

unknown.png

Manage to do it without too much problem. 

WoM is going to be the key for this gamemode.

I understand now why they had to put those pulse skills, otherwise they would be too easy since the Obstruct effect only applies to range units for the guardiens.

This mode pretty much is break through the enemy lines kind of game mode.

Seems pretty easy. I got 300 my first try with a Dancer Micaiah, Naesala, Thrasir, and Eir, which doesn't seem like quite the most effective team. 310 shouldn't be too tough. 

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

This is how I did this first season of Resonant Battles:

I just realized I completely forgot about using Arena Assault items (I have not used any Arena Assault items in Arena Assault either for years now). I think I should be able to get the last two kills with help from Dancer's Veil.

Although it does not use Arena scoring, I dislike the gamemode overall, mostly because of the hamfisted way it tries to ban Galeforce (b/c of CD count +1 on KO) and soft-ban Desperation, Escape Route, and Wings of Mercy (b/c of heal on KO), especially when we effectively have a turn limit of 3 to kill all the thieves.

It may seem easy to rank high now but that's only because everybody has to start from Interval 1.

Thankfully, the main draw is Divine Codes which, once again, is not a huge reward given how IS doesn't seem interested in adding new code paths. 

Also, enemy units are set and don't change between difficulties aside from stats, meaning somebody could try to put together (F2P) guide videos though the limited attempts per season really puts a damper on that.

Worse off is after this season, Resonant Battles is to alternate with Allegiance Battles, meaning a decrease in orb income (although Resonant Battle quest in the weekly Coliseum quests gives 1 orb as a reward, Allegiance Battles' 5 orbs will be on every 6th week rather than on every 3rd week).

RIP Harmonized Heroes -- easily dead/whale content, perhaps moreso than even Duo Heroes (Harmonized Heroes are pretty specific for Resonant Battles while Duo Heroes at least can not only be used for Arena scoring if merged enough but can also find some use in AR depending on the Duo and team comp).

Edited by Roflolxp54

30 minutes ago, XRay said:

I just realized I completely forgot about using Arena Assault items (I have not used any Arena Assault items in Arena Assault either for years now). I think I should be able to get the last two kills with help from Dancer's Veil.

Yeah. And you can even see what each thief is carrying. It shows the item the thief is carrying in the seal slot.

That Laevatein's final kill... she did the right amount of damage, but I case she wouldn't kill the thief... I could use the Special Blade item to charge her special. I feel these items will be very important in higher tiers.

7 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Yarne too can still GF if he gets HP down enough. I haven't really tried specifics too much because of the limited amount of tries but that's partly me thinking Awakening was a bonus because of Marth lol

Oh yeah! I kinda forgot Yarne existed so that slipped my mind. He's still a little unreliable with the 10 hp heals per kill, but if one can work around that with stuff like Fury 4 and the like then he'll be one of the best whenever Awakening is on rotation. I don't have him, though so I'll have to work with different setups.

- - - 

I had a score of 300 when I was stubbornly trying to make GF work (I wasted like 3 attempts doing this). Once I got rid of that idea and went for the top thieves first the map became a breeze and I got 310 as my score. I used Tibarn, Naesala, Reyson and Mordecai. Mordecai was just a Smite bot while Tibarn and Naesala went ahead and destroyed the thieves effortlesly. 

Other titles aren't as lucky to have 3 mov fliers so I guess it's time to invest on melee cavs with lunge and brave/firesweep weapons. For FE8 it's going to be a pain but I can think of a comp using Duo Ephraim that will let me reach the top thieves in one turn.

Great. Another gimmick Arena mode to push another gimmick unit type.

The limited number of tries in this mode is stupid, but the gameplay is at least pretty solid.

Settling for 300 points because that's more than enough to move up to the maximum tier this week. I'll try harder some other time, though I still have 2 attempts left, so I might just throw things at the wall and see if anything sticks.

EDIT: Would have had 310 points, but derped on item usage. Also could've just avoided the situation by giving Altina Lunge instead of Vantage so that she could chase things down more easily, but whatever. Next time. Rank 17,156 doesn't look like it'll be in any risk of falling below 40% (rank 58,822), so it's not like it really matters this week.

I definitely think this game mode would be better with more attempts allowed, even if they're still limited (10 is probably fine), though after using all of my attempts, I can see arguments for keeping it at 5.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I definitely think this game mode would be better with more attempts allowed, even if they're still limited (10 is probably fine), though after using all of my attempts, I can see arguments for keeping it at 5.

I agree. More attempts would be welcomed... I would say 3 per day, but maybe it would be too much for IntSys (it would be 21 per season).

2 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

It's been 2 hours and no rewards yet from Resonant Battles.

I think it said in the notifications that we wouldn't be able to collect the rewards until the next season starts, so tomorrow.

Also, from what I saw on reddit the focus games for the next season is...

Spoiler

Awakening and Mystery of the Emblem

Should be an easy season for me since I have plenty of characters from both of those games built up.

Edited by NSSKG151

I think I scored 321, 331, or 341, it is one of those numbers. I used a SP!Mia +1+0 with three other bonus title units. Last time I checked, I was rank 260 something.

Edited by XRay