The direction of FEH with Limited Hero and Resonant Battles

LoneStar

37 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

You don’t really lose anything, that’s one of their deceptions. The rewards are always being drip-fed, and will be until the game stops being supported, at which point everyone will lose everything they’ve built up no matter how frequently they logged in.

Seriously, think about why you play Heroes. Are you just running on a hamster wheel, or do you have a goal in mind, something that means you “win”? And does your goal require you to play every day, even if you don’t want to?

Yeah, I'm well aware I'm falling victim to the usual Skinner box mechanics. It was the same with World of Warcraft and all that. That said, it's not so much that I have a goal as much as that I haven't yet found a useful alternative to occupy my dead time at work. Well, one alternative in that I'm a FreeCell addict, but that's a lot more dangerous because I can end up playing that for hours in a row. But at any rate, I'm in a "ready to bail" state if I can find something definitely better. The only hard requirement is that whatever I play has to be turn-based so I can drop it in an instant.

Until then though, even if there's zero chance of IS taking my opinion into account, I figure I may as well have my two bob on the state of the game as it relates to my preferences.

I dislike Resonant Battles mostly because of its going to alternate with Allegiance Battles (while it's a small reduction in orb income, it's still a reduction nonetheless), that it tries to do whatever it takes to prevent players from using specific strategies (namely Galeforce), and gives very little room to experiment with strategies since there's a limited number of attempts per season. I could only be glad that it's not based on Arena scoring, that you can use AA items, and that Harmonized Heroes are pretty much dead, whalebait content.

I liked Limited Hero Battles until Legend Ryoma arrived. Ryoma felt like an unfair challenge, especially since I didn't get specific units (like Brave Hector) or made specific investment decisions (like 5+10ing Nino and Eliwood). Ryoma, IIRC, already felt like a tougher Abyssal map and that's with the ReinLyn+2 dancers combo especially with how crowded the map can be with Ryoma teleporting in units (including the fridge) with Guidance. The time limit didn't really help matters, either. It's probably only going to get worse, especially if IS were to make players use 3H or TMS characters in LHBs.

20 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

These modes are just plain unfun and I think it's dumb that the game expects players with new accounts to spend all their grails on units from the right games just so they can participate in these restricted battles, when grails are already disgustingly scarce and they might have a favourite in the grail unit list they want to +10 instead.

I don't think the game expects new accounts to play these modes.at all. It's obvious they are intended for long time players and I fail to see what's wrong with it. Heroes is the exception because I play from day one, but in basically every gacha-like game I tried I was either locked out of some game modes and limited events for months, or I could partecipate but could not get the higher tier rewards that are meant for the veteran players. 

What IS probably expects new players to do is concentrate on the game modes that are more accessible and accumulate orbs playing the story. Then they can summon on new banners, skill banners, any kind of banner and slowly they will get a variety of units. In a few months they will be ready to tackle even the hardest and more limited content and I don't see anything wrong with it.

There are ways in which FEH screws over newbies (gifts outside of Brave Ike, L!Ike, Tome Eirika and a recent CYL winner being lost forever instead of being pemanently available in a Xenologue like L!Ike, the rate of Coins being given compared to the amount of needed Seals, various problems with climbing in Aether Raids, etcetera) but this isn't one of them.

5 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I dislike Resonant Battles mostly because of its going to alternate with Allegiance Battles (while it's a small reduction in orb income, it's still a reduction nonetheless),

Could've sworn there was a new weekly quest set to be added that gives 1 orb, so that means we're going from:
-5 orbs every 3 weeks from AB
to
-11 orbs every 6 weeks (1 weekly orb from quest + 5 orbs every 6 weeks from AB)
So that's a net gain of 1 orb isn't it?

On 6/19/2020 at 4:22 PM, Nym said:

You are missing the point.

There's a major difference between something being difficult to beat and something being impossible to beat because you don't have the necessary tools to do it.

I could try as hard as I could on the Julius map, but there's no way I am going to beat that map with two unmerged armors (Halloween Myrrh and Amelia). The rest are 4 stars, and there's not even a healer from SS I could use. My fault for foddering Cav Erika, sure, but I couldn't know at the time she would get a good refine and IS was going to implement gamemodes with unit restrictions.

And then, you have other titles like Awakening that are literally a walk in the park for me.

It's different for every player, but this is the major problem I have with this gamemode.

Nah dude, restricting your tools is a meaningful challenge, the problem is strictly the time limit to have them beaten by. If these fights were permanently available (like Blessed Gardens) or at least on a weekly rotation (like old GHBs), you wouldn't be upset because sooner or later, you would end up with units that would work.

After clearing Ryoma's Limited Abyssal with a team involving three units I haven't really been using lately for anything else, I'm doubling down on my support for LMBs. The time limits are annoying, but I love the push to find uses for the specific skillsets of units that wouldn't stand out among my full roster, and it's really satisfying when it works.

Edited by Othin

I am fine with Limited Hero Battles. They are fun.

The idea of Resonant Battles is cool, but it was poorly executed. It could easily be another mode in Special Maps, like Rival Domains is. But nope... its another rank-tier based mode, that uses a new type of hero that is not worthy to summon for unless you are a fan of that character. That's just a waste of game data.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:28 PM, SockPuppet said:

This is an idea I was talking to a friend about just a few days ago actually. The move IS is currently going is indeed getting people to spend more and more orbs. The spark system is not IS being generous, but rather trying to get people to spend at least half of their monthly orb income on a guaranteed new unit. People are happy to get something certain at neutral IVs, but down goes the orb stash. Feel bad? Just buy more! Just look at this path new heroes banner we got this month with Anna. We got 5 tickets, on top of the forging bonds tickets, on top of the free summon; even spending 4 orbs after each free pull will push a player towards 20 out of 40 summons! Might as well continue, no? I’ve seen plenty of players on various forums and on Twitter debating if they “should keep going” because they’re “almost” to the 40th mark. They don’t need to, but that number is taunting them even more harshly than a pity rate % can.

Modes like these, however easy or difficult they may be to some, will at least get people to consider keeping copies of “good” units despite how nice their fodder may be. 

Next month, we have the Duo Ephraim banner coming back. I wonder how many orb stashes that banner is going to delve its claws into. IS knows what they were doing bringing it back as a voting option, just a few weeks before the new Brave Heroes are released.

And how many people spend 1/2 their monthly orb income trying a new banner (before spark) and got nothing for it (either NO five stars, or horrible pity breakers).  This time last year give or take, the first Three Houses banner came out, and i tried for a Byleth and all i got from it  was a lousy Seigbert. if the spark had existed, at least i would have the opportunity to gain the unit i wanted and if i got a Seigbert along the way - whatever, because i knew that at 40 summons i'd at least have the unit i wanted. Same with the Mareeta/Peony banner. Same with Lyisthea's banner (which was the last banner without the sparking system). if it had been there i would have at least have an Annette/Lysithea (or both). also. if i knew in 140 orbs i can have a guaranteed fodder (as most new hero banners has something great now)  -  it could totally be worth it. if it isn't for other people then save up for hero w/banners. 

how many people skipped new hero banners because "it would be easier to get them on legendary/heroes w/banners" then complain how hard it was on legendary (or the bloated pools on a heroes w/banner). and more importantly - how many people are wishing the spark system was on the seasonal banners - as well as the new hero banners.  It is generous. Is it also a smart business tactic to get people to spend (or re-evaluate orb spending decisions if they are F2P?) of course. IntSys  isn't a non profit organization or a charity and it always boggles my mind when people go "it's a cash grab"  or it's not "generous" well. yeah. their job is to get you to spend money (or as a free to play player, to get you to really be tempted to get other things) but i will always say they also do give a lot of things to the player base. i just feel that people quibble about everything. (and I'm guilty about it too. like i wish the "Choose your Free 5 Star just had 4 colours, and then the unit is random but you can choose the colour you want. or you can just PICK what you wanted.or the ivs were neutral). 

And for the bolded part, I was watching the Feh Channel we got August 1st when it was announced what the CYL heroes would be (which ran alongside 1/2 anniversary). they released 21 banners and a hero fest before CYL (and the weekly banners were active). so yeah. they are gonna tempt you before the next wave of BST adjusted units/brand new skills/possibly meta aiding/defining/anti-meta/(3H lovers) units are introduced with a very rare appearance. that's their job)

they can want your money, and still be generous at the same time. it's a lovely shade of grey. 

----

as for the Limited Hero/Resonate Battles. I rather enjoy it. and I say this as someone who struggled this go around (and I didn't do the Abyssal of Ryoma).  I have my niches (Ophelia/Igrene for dancer cheesing), a few other built units (my fliers, and whatever i got lucky in) and that's it. there are some games i don't have really invested units in at all. (see: Eliwoods game and Awakening (strangely enough), - or ironically. i had only one colour of the one game. (which cracked me up).  and some units where i actually had more choices than i thought. I was going to follow PM1's guide - and it required to have a 5* Nino. I decided i wasn't going to waste resources in building up a Nino (right then), to get 10 divine codes. Ifigure eventually those 10 codes will be made to me somehow. It's the same reason why i don't fodder  off units to make clears, or expend a lot of crests to do well in arena, or stress out too much if i lose ladders (unless i'm in danger of demoting to tier 20. then i will freak out). i've always been of the belief it will always even out- and a firmer belief that regardless of Meta and what "benefits" you - you should build units up for Fun and because you like them.  I felt that from the get go - even when i was struggling to do well in Arena, and i couldn't even do hard mode in BHBs.  

it would be nice if these repeated with different games. but i really enjoy them. even if I can't complete them. 

--

as for the Foddering of units. honestly - i usually try to get two copies if it's a unit I like (for example. on Mareeta's banner, I got two copies because i wanted her). if it's a pity break with bad ivs (or a unit i simply don't like stares hard at Ylgr - then it's fodder pure and simple. if it means i lose out on HM, or a dragonflower increase or two ah well.. me needing the skill trumps me having the unit be a dusty member of my barracks. especially if they aren't offensively neutral (if that is their job) or defensively neutral (if that's their job). 

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

And how many people spend 1/2 their monthly orb income trying a new banner (before spark) and got nothing for it (either NO five stars, or horrible pity breakers).  This time last year give or take, the first Three Houses banner came out, and i tried for a Byleth and all i got from it  was a lousy Seigbert. if the spark had existed, at least i would have the opportunity to gain the unit i wanted and if i got a Seigbert along the way - whatever, because i knew that at 40 summons i'd at least have the unit i wanted. Same with the Mareeta/Peony banner. Same with Lyisthea's banner (which was the last banner without the sparking system). if it had been there i would have at least have an Annette/Lysithea (or both). also. if i knew in 140 orbs i can have a guaranteed fodder (as most new hero banners has something great now)  -  it could totally be worth it. if it isn't for other people then save up for hero w/banners. 

how many people skipped new hero banners because "it would be easier to get them on legendary/heroes w/banners" then complain how hard it was on legendary (or the bloated pools on a heroes w/banner). and more importantly - how many people are wishing the spark system was on the seasonal banners - as well as the new hero banners.  It is generous. Is it also a smart business tactic to get people to spend (or re-evaluate orb spending decisions if they are F2P?) of course. IntSys  isn't a non profit organization or a charity and it always boggles my mind when people go "it's a cash grab"  or it's not "generous" well. yeah. their job is to get you to spend money (or as a free to play player, to get you to really be tempted to get other things) but i will always say they also do give a lot of things to the player base. i just feel that people quibble about everything. (and I'm guilty about it too. like i wish the "Choose your Free 5 Star just had 4 colours, and then the unit is random but you can choose the colour you want. or you can just PICK what you wanted.or the ivs were neutral). 

And for the bolded part, I was watching the Feh Channel we got August 1st when it was announced what the CYL heroes would be (which ran alongside 1/2 anniversary). they released 21 banners and a hero fest before CYL (and the weekly banners were active). so yeah. they are gonna tempt you before the next wave of BST adjusted units/brand new skills/possibly meta aiding/defining/anti-meta/(3H lovers) units are introduced with a very rare appearance. that's their job)

they can want your money, and still be generous at the same time. it's a lovely shade of grey. 

dunno i usally did spend money on FEH, but after Legendary Lif i stopped. I kinda dont see the point in it anymore and have thus 650 Orbs saved up. I see no point in summoning units anymore because the powercreep is gonna come around anyway and screw everything up. I lost drive in the competetiv modes, and my Askrtrio or other units can clear PVE just fine.

I am only spending now 10 bucks on the FEH pass, but that is getting questionable to me due to the resplendent heroes they have been picking lately.

Waiting for Bruno and Healers refines thats it, anything else doesnt interest me anymore.

I have no problem with Limited Hero Battles. They're not much different from my old challenge back around launch to clear Grand Hero Battles without high-tiered units.

I'm mixed about Resonant Battles.

The gameplay is actually pretty solid, but that's about all I really like about it. It would've been great if it were just another regular map type.

But as it is, it's just another new competitive game mode meant to push a new gimmick to get players to pull for new units with the new unit type unnecessarily shoehorned into the scoring mechanic despite the fact that the game mode would have actually been great without it.

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

dunno i usally did spend money on FEH, but after Legendary Lif i stopped. I kinda dont see the point in it anymore and have thus 650 Orbs saved up. I see no point in summoning units anymore because the powercreep is gonna come around anyway and screw everything up. I lost drive in the competetiv modes, and my Askrtrio or other units can clear PVE just fine.

I am only spending now 10 bucks on the FEH pass, but that is getting questionable to me due to the resplendent heroes they have been picking lately.

Waiting for Bruno and Healers refines thats it, anything else doesnt interest me anymore.

that's fair. 
i've seen this a lot recently i have to say for me, this is where i am thankful i don't care about power creep and i never really cared about the competitive modes. (It's not to be dismissive of you or anyone else who do like it) - it's just that for me,  - and i sort of came in just when power creep started - it never really bothered me because I always felt behind anyway. I had to do with what i had (which was not a lot),  and just get better slowly. I summon for units that I enjoy, (or the skills for the units that I enjoy) a lot of my favourite ones are still gen one, and gen two (I like the fairies, because they are fairies and they dance) and some of the newer ones because they were my favourites in the game, but if they were "not good" (In the sense of power creep or whatever) - i'd still want them.  I was really cruddy at a lot of PVE (and still am) so my mantra is, just do my best, and that's all that matters. so if it's top 20,000, 10,000, 100 or first, cool if not. as long as I gave it an effort, then that's all i care about. I figure if they are the move type i like, or the weapon type i like, that's great for me, or if it's a skill i can give to someone and i can be all creative. 🙂 

i spend money on the game because I like heroes, i play it every day, I believe the artists, etc (even in a f2p game should get some income), and I support the franchise. I don't always like the direction (and i let them know that), but there are some things i do (and i let them know that too) via the feedback. 

it really is a bummer that nothing else isn't interesting you anymore though. that really does stink. 

LHB: Leaning towards liking them. I tend to use the same characters(I do try to swap out units when one reaches max HM) to clear maps so it's refreshing to use units that I don't usually field. The introduction of these maps made me realize how little 5 stars I own for certain games and that certainly limits who I can use to clear LHBs. So far I've been able to clear all Abyssal maps but we'll see how long this will keep up. 

Resonant Battles: I've been putting this mode off closed because of the negative reviews this mode has received but it's not as bad as I thought it was. It's got a simple objective and doesn't take a long time to play so that's a plus in my book. Doesn't seem like we'll be getting orbs from this mode so I'll just be playing it for the participation rewards. I just find it funny that I recently managed to score high enough to get the highest rank awards in Allegiance Battles and they rotate it out with this new mode.