What is your preferred play style for GHBs, BHBs, LHBs, and MHBs?

XRay

GHB, BHB, LMB, & MHB PLAY STYLES, STRATEGIES, AND TACTICS   

26 members have voted

1. 1. What difficulty do you try to complete for GHBs, BHBs, LMBs, and MHBs?

• Abyssal, no guides
    • Abyssal, some guides
    • Abyssal, with guides
    • Infernal, no guides
    • Infernal, some guides
    • Infernal, with guides
    • Lunatic, no guides
    • Lunatic, some guides
    • Lunatic, with guides
    • Hard, no guides
    • Hard, some guides
    • Hard, with guides
    • I do not play HBs.
  2. 2. What is your preferred play style for HBs? (You can pick more than one if you use a combo like I do.)

• Player Phase (Galeforcers, Firesweepers, Dancers/Singers, etc.)
    • Enemy Phase (Spd Tanks, Def/Res Tanks, Super Tanks, etc.)
    • Dual Phase (Counter-Vantage, dual phase follow-uppers [Hríd, Edelgard, dual phase armors, etc.], etc.)
    • Other (I doubt there is another play style other than the top three, but if there are, please tag me so I can add it!)
    • No Preference
    • I do not play HBs.
  3. 3. What Player Phase combat units, support units, and tactics do you prefer or use?

• Raw Damage Nukes (Blade mages, Blazing nukes, one shot nukes, slow Brave nukes, etc.)
    • Firesweepers/Chippers (Firesweep archers and Firesweep staff units)
    • Galeforcers (Leif: Unifier of Thracia, Brave Heroes Roy, Tibarn, Cordelia, etc.)
    • Dancers/Singers
    • Smiters
    • Bonus Buffers (Hones and Fortifies, Tactics, Opennings, etc.)
    • Drive Buffers (Drives, Close Guard, Brave Heroes Lucina, etc.)
    • Debuffers (Aversa, Iago, etc.)
    • Healers (staff units, Reciprocal Aid, Eir, etc.)
    • Out of Combat Damage (Duma, Bolt Tower (O), A Monstrous Harvest Hector, etc.)
    • Other
    • No Preference
    • I do not do Player Phase.
    • I do not play HBs.
  4. 4. What Enemy Phase combat units, support units, and tactics do you prefer or use?

• Slow Def/Res/Mixed Tank
    • Spd Tank
    • Super Tank
    • Special Interference (Guard, Pulse Smoke, etc.)
    • Special Acceleration/Charge Increase (Slaying Weapons, Steady Breath, Special Spiral, etc.)
    • Buff Denial (Dulls, Lulls, Panic Smoke, etc.)
    • Debuff Prevention (Bonds, DB!Ike, etc.)
    • Defensive Follow-Up Modification (Myrrh, Wary Fighter, Null Follow-Up, etc.)
    • Offensive Follow-Up Modification (Quick Riposte, Vengeful Fighter, Null Follow-Up, etc.)
    • Damage Percentage Reduction (Brave Heroes Ike, Sigurd, Close Call, etc.)
    • Healing/Sustainability (THIS IS ON THE COMBAT UNIT; NOT THE SAME AS USING A DEDICATED HEALER LIKE STAFF UNITS!!!) (Noontime, Renewal, Mystic Boost, etc.)
    • Null C-Disrupt
    • Dancers/Singers
    • Smiters
    • Other
    • No Preference
    • I do not do Enemy Phase.
    • I do not play HBs.
  5. 5. What Dual Phase combat units, support units, and tactics do you prefer or use?

• Counter-Vantage (Blade mages, Ares, Altina, etc.)
    • Dual Phase Follow-Ups (Hríd, Edelgard, dual phase armor units, etc.)
    • Dual Phase High Spd Units (Solo-Close Call-Rouse, etc.)
    • Dancers/Singers
    • Smiters
    • Other (Renewed Spirit Alfonse probably falls under here since he is pretty unique.)
    • No Preference
    • I do not do dual phase.
    • I do not play HBs.

What is your preferred play style for Grand Hero Battles, Bound Hero Battles, Legendary Hero Battles, and Mythic Hero Battles? I am going to lump these together since they are all pretty similar. Enemies have high stats all around, there is a boss or two, and many of them have reinforcements. There are no restrictions whatsoever, so players can have at it with their A team.

For those of you who are curious about the last preferred play style poll, here is the Arena poll. I do these polls about once every few weeks or whenever I feel like it.

The following are all the modes I want to cover. I am only including modes that need a certain level of grinding, planning, and/or investment. For this reason, I am excluding modes like Voting Gauntlets and Story Maps because they honestly pose no challenge of any sort, although I guess I can cover them after all the other modes are covered first.

Oh, and I am classifying "PvP" content as anything that involves the AI using foes built by the player. PvE involves the AI not using units by players. And let me know too if there is an option missing.

PvP:

Spoiler

Aether Raids

Arena
Arena Assault

Grand Conquest

PvE:

Spoiler

Limited Hero Battles
Grand Hero Battles/Bound Hero Battles/Legendary Hero Battles/Mythic Hero Battles
Rival Domains

Chain Challenges
Squad Assault
Blessed Gardens

Allegiance Battles
Resonant Battles

Tempest Trials
Forging Bonds
Røkkr Sieges
Mjölnir's Strike
Hall of Forms

I am going with GHBs this time. We have a lot of PvE modes to tackle, and I think GHBs were the second type of end game content released after Arena.

— — — — — — —

For me, I complete Abyssal with some guides. I can usually do it without guides, but Mila's map was extremely brutal, and I rather not spend too much time on it.

My preferred play style is Player Phase. More specifically, it is one raw damage nuke with three Dancers/Singers with Tactics bonus buffs.

I do not use Enemy Phase nor dual phase stuff, unless I am following a guide or something, but I do not think that counts since it is not my preference anyways.

I honestly just look at the starting enemies and go "oh, let's see, there's a blue guy, I'll get one of my greens" and so on. Usually I gradually tweak the team around (maybe swap a unit or a skill) til it works. Sometimes it's just a matter of crossing a certain stat threshold to kill a specific enemy, or finding a counter to one particular foe that gives me the most trouble.

As far as units I've built go, I built them cuz I think they're cool, and I give them whatever works for their stats/unique skills. No preference either way as to what phase they excel at, to me that feels like saying "my favorite tool in my shed is the hammer" when you gotta use whatever the job calls for.

For (non-Limited) Hero Battles, I generally send in a blade tome flier (Summer Tana or Summer Corrin, sometimes Spring Camilla) backed up by Legendary Azura, Dancer Micaiah, and whatever other infantry dancer seems best suited to round out the team (generally PA Azura or Dream Azura). If an Abyssal map seems too resilient to that type of approach, I usually end up using a guide.

I don't think lumping the various battle types into one poll question would give an accurate picture on overall habits since there's such a big gulf in difficulty between, say, a BHB and an LHB.

In general, BHBs and GHBs are easy enough that I can throw my default-ish flier team at it (Lazura, Cherche and/or Trio, Eir and/or Aversa) and win it with no fuss.

LHBs and MHBs I go straight to Pheonixmaster, I don't even make a single attempt at doing it myself. Well, not since Hector, if I remember right, which was a sort of "why am I wasting my time" epiphany. Infernal only, mind you, I find absolutely no reason to complete Abyssal. Well, except to get rid of the annoying exclamation mark over the menu item perhaps, but not worth my time.

Part of the calculation is that while I'm reasonably sure I could beat the harder fights myself, the likely solution would probably require material investment in the form of SI, upgrading seals, etc, which I am loathe to do for a one-and-done fight. Yes, even if it's something laughably common like a weaponbreaker skill from a 3* unit. I often end up screwing myself over afterwards by forgetting to switch the skills back - for example just today I messed up an AA run because I forgot to switch Bowlyn's assist back to Reposition after switching it to Smite for the Ryoma LHB.

Edited by Humanoid

My preferred way to play is to win using my favorite characters or use a theme team such as using a Fallen Hero team or a team of Anna and her alts (or as close as I can get it to)

I usually do Abyssal maps with only fliers because they are my favorite movement type, but I'll use other units for Infernal difficulties.

For the most part, I don't like using dancers because it just doesn't feel like I'm using four units. Galeforce users are usually fine with me, but I do like hearing special activation quotes, so I'll try to not use them unless I can't seem to solve the map. 

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I don't think lumping the various battle types into one poll question would give an accurate picture on overall habits since there's such a big gulf in difficulty between, say, a BHB and an LHB.

In general, BHBs and GHBs are easy enough that I can throw my default-ish flier team at it (Lazura, Cherche and/or Trio, Eir and/or Aversa) and win it with no fuss.

LHBs and MHBs I go straight to Pheonixmaster, I don't even make a single attempt at doing it myself. Well, not since Hector, if I remember right, which was a sort of "why am I wasting my time" epiphany. Infernal only, mind you, I find absolutely no reason to complete Abyssal. Well, except to get rid of the annoying exclamation mark over the menu item perhaps, but not worth my time.

I think that is only because BHBs and the later GHBs lack Abyssal. I can usually solve everything on Infernal without any issue, except Mila's map. Once the later GHBs and BHBs get Abyssal difficulty, I think their difficulty will be about the same as LHBs and MHBs.

No preference at all, clear all of them with no guides.

I clear all of them with the Askrtrio and Veronica on Abyssal.

Then i do Team clears. I built Teams around synergy. I have various Teams with fixed a cast that are built around a theme (debuffs, drives, buffs, bonus doubler etc.)

3 Dancers and a nuke are not my thing because it undermines and devalues the game in my eyes for me and takes away from strategy.

Throw Ophelia at the problem. If Ophelia is not enough to solve the problem, throw Leaf at the problem, too. If that still doesn't work, Altina probably works because if I'm still having a problem at this point, the problem is definitely a Triangle Adept horse with Gronnraven. If all else fails, throw the latest version of my armor ball at it and slow push my way to victory.

I do one-turns for every hero battle, which usually involves a lot of Galeforce, but some GHBs and BHBs let me get away with end-turning with Caeda (and sometimes, it’s a blend of both). For L/MHBs, I also do two PP Mage + refreshers clears, and one ??? clear. The ??? clear employs whatever strategy works best for the four units I threw together, so it’s impossible to lump that into any one category.

So...

1. Abyssal, no guides
  2. No Preference
  3. Nuke mages, Galeforce, refreshers
  4. No Preference
  5. Other

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

The exclamation mark used to annoyed me as well, till I found out that you can go into the map then forfeit immediately and the mark will be gone.

As for the poll, I mostly used Niles and 3 dancers for Abyssal. I would tried to use theme team for difficulty lower than that, if that fails then Niles it is. I have not tested Say ri with Brave Lucina in Abyssal but it should be doable.

Limited Legendary however is depending on the series chosen. From FE4 to FE8 guide is almost necessary since I don't build much units from these series. Julius did forced me to build my Lute and I managed to clear it with no guide. 

I don't have a prefered playstyle, I use charaters I like or useful, and based on whether they are better as offensive or defensive units that's how I decide to build them.

I voted "other" a couple times since I don't take as many technical aspects into consideration as was listed. Basically, I like using themed teams (I have a Valentian Infantry team, a dragon team or two, etc.) and I like using all-arounders/units with good defenses. Of course, I use the same teams for everything in this game.

I used ideas from guides twice: first, using LH!Ike and a Dazzling Staff unit against Legendary Tiki's Abyssal; second, not breaking the block in Duma's Abyssal.

Beyond that, I've usually employed a mostly Player Phase style, using Nino (bladetome), Cordelia (Galeforce nuke), Reinhardt (slow Brave nuke) and Legendary Azura (visible buffs + Dance). That team crystallised when I got Azura, just before Roy's battle, and hasn't changed since.

Until Bramimond's battle, Nino ran a dual-phase set (Distant Def 6 with Atk Smoke), allowing her to tank almost any ranged unit. Starting with Bramimond, that set began to lack the power to kill generics, so I switched to hyper offence (Life and Death/Flashing Blade). Reinhardt is also losing steam, but he's still finding use as a Reposition bot or to weaken sword enemies, and having Blazing Thunder charged does often get ORKOs.

Prior to Legendary Roy, my team was more fluid, though still using the same tactics. Nino was used in every Abyssal bar Tiki's. On at least one occasion (Legendary Robin), I was forced to use double dancers.

You know how I asked once if there's any good reason for me to keep that Neutral Olivia around, and I was told that she was for F2P guides?

Well yeah I still don't do guides, and my tactics are somewhat varied usually, but never have I needed to resort to using any of Olivia's many forms.

It is, however, much harder to justify defensive playstyles in Abyssal Hero Battles these days, given the raw power that the enemy units tend to pack. Even Edelgard, who was supposed to be a defensive tank, could be taken out by an offensive Red Pegasus Carrot+ user (which if you seen my LegEdelgard clear is exactly what I did), but it'd be a lot harder to justify throwing a Red tank in her path since she had so much raw damage AND permanent Galeforce (maybe if that tank was Selena...)

Offensive playstyles, meanwhile, are easier to use in Abyssal just because they let you delete enemy units before they begin to become a problem. And of all the reliefs that can be said about the boss, the one big one is that they usually don't pack forms of Close/Distant Counter, and the ones that do (Lif for instance) usually can be weakened in other ways. I think with Lif I used an Iceberg-charged attack from LegJulia to wipe him out before he could even attack. And of course the usefulness of Firesweep can't be understated, even if I don't utilize it that often myself.

Well, as most people know, I always go with Elise Emblem and some random forth unit for my Hero Battles. Usually Nowi, Keaton, a Sakura, or, recently, Mirabilis. I've also used S!Lyn and Sophia here and there. Whoever helps cover their weaknesses the best.

The Elises vary from clear to clear but generally S!Elise runs a Vantage Bladetome build, and HS!Elise is usually just very Player Phase oriented. Sometimes she runs a stat stacking tanking set but that's very rare. OG!Elise is usually more support based, but pretty offensive more often than not. Very very few clears have had her only relegated to healing but she is usually carrying the Tactics and the Drives.

Because no Elise has a Def stat to speak of, I usually use Nowi or Sophia as EP tanks, Keaton as a DC Vantage sweeper, or Mirabilis as a meat shield. 

No Dancers (if I use a Dancer, I remove Dance) and no guides~

My general strategy is to just brute force a map with 2 dancers (usually L!Azura and Reyson), Cordelia and my +2 fallen Julia (❤️).
If my having problems I either try to restart the map a couple of times or fine tune the skills on my units.
If everything fails there are still phoenixmasters guides 😛