Do you dislike any popular video game characters?

Anacybele

I'm legitimately curious about this now after the latest Smash Bros. reveal.

I tend to dislike popular video game characters for some reason or another and this always annoys me... I don't know why it happens, it just does. I don't dislike popular characters for being popular, that would be silly. And I'd hate Ike instead of being a massive fangirl of him. xP And my favorite characters tend to not be popular as a result, which also saddens me. It makes me feel like my tastes are not good or feel left out of a lot of excitement and fun. Sometimes I even feel really alone in my disappointment when a disliked popular character gets some attention over someone I do like. But maybe I'm not quite as alone as it seems sometimes, so that's why I've made this thread.

Also, disliking so many popular characters has led people to ask me if I like anyone at all, particularly in FE because I dislike a ton of popular FE characters. Obviously, I do like a lot of FE characters. It's just that the ones I like don't get talked about nearly as much.

Anyone else dislike a number of popular characters?

Let's keep the conversation civil, though, of course. No arguing or anything. This thread is supposed to be similar to those unpopular opinion threads.

From FE alone, I dislike: Camilla, Tharja, Lucina, Chrom, Micaiah, Lyn, Eirika, and Mia. Though I don't dislike Lyn and Eirika as much as the others here. But this is a lot of very popular characters from just one series. 😕

I seem to dislike quite a few popular Pokemon too: Charizard, Blaziken, Gardevoir, Greninja, and I'm also pretty meh on Mewtwo, though I do appreciate its backstory and that one line it has in the First Movie ("I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.") I have a nice range of favorite Pokemon that I don't really see anyone talk about.

From other games: Wario, Waluigi, Peach, Geno (Mario), Min Min (ARMS), Tingle, Skull Kid (Zelda) (though Tingle's popularity seems to only exist in places that aren't the US, I still count him here), K. Rool (Donkey Kong)

And that's really all I can think of right now. Occasionally, sure, I do like popular characters (I did mention Ike already, and Eevee is a pretty popular Pokemon. I think Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash are too), but that seems to be much rarer. And I wish it wasn't. I hope this trend ends for me someday.

So yeah, tell us your disliked popular characters.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i liked Min Min actually; never played ARMS, but she looks really fun to play as in Smash

i generally tend to be annoyed by games/franchises when they're spammed too much for my tastes, not single characters, but there are some popular characters i dislike (sometimes even hate)

Edelgard (hate her character which imo is a good thing considering how controversial IntSys wanted her to be), Camilla (no explanation needed), many more FE characters i'll not waste time listing, Luigi (can't stand him), Waluigi (don't actually dislike him but his fandom is what really bugs me), Kairi from KH (simply pathetic), every overly marketed Starter pokemon since Gen6 (Greninja, Incineroar, Cinderace), Pikachu (what really gets under my skin is that he will simply never stop being pushed so hard by TPCI, Nintendo and Game Freak)

there are more, but i think this list will do for now

Edited by Yexin

From FE, particularly popular characters I dislike include Celica, Elise, Flayn, and Lysithea. Also, Nowi, Donnel, and Sylvain are reasonably popular characters that I dislike.

In regards to popular Smash candidates, I do not like the idea of having Sora, Dixie Kong, Twintelle, Rillaboom, Geno, Arle, and especially Steve added to the game.

Never liked Rex as a protagonist in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The entire rest of the cast is great. Just not the boring kid in assless chaps.

For me, the only ones that come to mind are, 

1. Crash Bandicoot: I have nothing against the games, they actually look like great 3D platformers. What I do take issue it is his design. Something visceral deep inside me just screams when I look at him.

2. Bayonetta: Again, the gameplay actually looks quite good from the series, but good lord is she repulsive. I've never been a fan of these kinds of characters, but she's really just a flroified dominatrix, and I get the feeling the people that made her just want her to step on thier throats with her high heel guns. 

3. Edelgard: Now, while I do find her character quite interesting, and her design is really good, the root of it is her vehement fandom. She is actually a fantastic villain, but I think she shines the best as such, a villain. All these people that insist that she was in the right, even though in three out of four storylines she's a major antagonist, just turned me off of the character. The fact that she's pretty close to being an avatar-sexual doesnt help my opinion of her. I am intending on finishing my Crimson Flower run just yo see why people may love the character so much.

So, in summary, Crash for bad design, Bayonetta for giving me the creeps, and Edelgard for community reception.

Edited by Sir Gerwald of Vallora

Oh yeah, I'm pretty meh on Edelgard right now myself. I just can't really say I truly dislike her yet because I haven't played her route in TH.

17 minutes ago, Yexin said:

Waluigi (don't actually dislike him but his fandom is what really bugs me)

Actually, this is mostly why I hate him too. He can actually be amusing in his game appearances. But his fandom has pissed me off with how they treated Sakurai.

Some overly popular/"classic" games, yes, characters, not so much. I try to moderate my emotions to be bland, and to be academic when discussing things. Not always I concede in sin, but when I express criticism, I try to provide the specified, narrowed grounds for the dislike apart from what was perfectly fine about them.

This said, within FE, I'm not in the Arvis Fanclub. I wanted to love him, I had amped myself to do so long before playing FE4, but nah, he failed to be sympathetic enough. I won't roast him, but I can't adore him.

And Lewyn is a 50-50, I like Gen 1 Lewyn. But Gen 2 Lewyn... no, that isn't what Forseti is, it must be Forseti's drunken mean uncle. I cannot stand by an honorable dragon of legend speaking like that!

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

33 minutes ago, Yexin said:

Luigi (can't stand him)

there are more, but i think this list will do for now

😨 I am genuinely concerned that you have no soul. 😨:itsame:😨

27 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

From FE, particularly popular characters I dislike include Elise, Flayn, and Lysithea. Also, Nowi, Donnel, ... are reasonably popular characters that I dislike.

Nor you.

As for me, I don't usually try to hate anyone, but basically the entire cast of Sonic the Hedgehog (well, with the exception of Eggman since we kind of have the same goal--"To clobber that there hedgehog", and I do genuinely find him funny at times), mostly by franchise association. Ever since I discovered it, the Genesis-era marketing has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. Like, every time I look at his stupid face, I feel like it's telling me, "NERRRRRDDDDDD!", but in a strange twist of fate, the incarnation in 2020 film of all things softened me up a little. I won't give SEGA my money, but I'd actually like to see it with someone sometime.

Also, characters like Duke Nukem and Travis Touchdown; I don't so much hate them as I find them absolutely repulsive, someone get me a crucifix.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

Hmmm, I'm not sure if "dislike" would be the word, but I would say Cloud from FFVII. Although he was a bit better in the remake, I still dont think he's very interesting.

I suppose I've never been much of a Sephiroth fan. He has this gigantic following but every time I see him outside FF7 he's just so aggressively boring. A one note character who's only motivated by messing with Cloud. I know that's not how he's supposed to be so imagine my annoyance when FF7 Remake decides to use the boring version of Sephiroth that's only interested in messing with Cloud. 

In Samurai Warriors the most consistently popular character is Ishida Mitsunari but I just can't stand him. He's everything I dislike in the tsundere archetype. An unpleasant jerk to everyone but expected to be given a pass on it because he's sensitive deep down. He's also unbelievably self righteous, shouting from the rooftops how he's in the right for starting a war while also screaming what an irredeemably monster his rival is, despite his rival being one of the more consistently benevolent members in the cast. That Ishida gets to be so popular because he's pretty and his rival being unpopular at least partially due to being a fat old man only makes it worse. 

As far as Fire Emblem is concerned its definitely Ophelia and to a lesser extend Odin. I think Owain was a very good character but when he was reintroduced as Odin without the character development Inigo and Severa received I started finding him very boring. Odin made the archetype stale so Ophelia taking up that archetype for a third time did not endear her to me. Ophelia deciding to go bully Siegbert just because his existence intruded on her fantasies also made her really repulsive. She knows that Siegbert is already struggling with his status and decides to go make that a lot worse for him. 

There's also Michalis though I wonder if he's especially popular. He is decently popular though, enough to inspire future archetypes. Aside from thinking he's an unlikable twat I also think he just doesn't work in general. He doesn't have any screentime which gives him neither any credibility as a good villain nor does it justify the idea that he supposedly is a noble guy who went astray rather than just an irredeemable tyrant. Him getting a happy ending despite very willingly becoming incredibly evil while Hardin died for things he had no control over doesn't exactly help either. 

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I suppose I've never been much of a Sephiroth fan. He has this gigantic following but every time I see him outside FF7 he's just so aggressively boring. A one note character who's only motivated by messing with Cloud. I know that's not how he's supposed to be so imagine my annoyance when FF7 Remake decides to use the boring version of Sephiroth that's only interested in messing with Cloud. 

In Samurai Warriors the most consistently popular character is Ishida Mitsunari but I just can't stand him. He's everything I dislike in the tsundere archetype. An unpleasant jerk to everyone but expected to be given a pass on it because he's sensitive deep down. He's also unbelievably self righteous, shouting from the rooftops how he's in the right for starting a war while also screaming what an irredeemably monster his rival is, despite his rival being one of the more consistently benevolent members in the cast. That Ishida gets to be so popular because he's pretty and his rival being unpopular at least partially due to being a fat old man only makes it worse. 

As far as Fire Emblem is concerned its definitely Ophelia and to a lesser extend Odin. I think Owain was a very good character but when he was reintroduced as Odin without the character development Inigo and Severa received I started finding him very boring. Odin made the archetype stale so Ophelia taking up that archetype for a third time did not endear her to me. Ophelia deciding to go bully Siegbert just because his existence intruded on her fantasies also made her really repulsive. She knows that Siegbert is already struggling with his status and decides to go make that a lot worse for him. 

There's also Michalis though I wonder if he's especially popular. He is decently popular though, enough to inspire future archetypes. Aside from thinking he's an unlikable twat I also think he just doesn't work in general. He doesn't have any screentime which gives him neither any credibility as a good villain nor does it justify the idea that he supposedly is a noble guy who went astray rather than just an irredeemable tyrant. Him getting a happy ending despite very willingly becoming incredibly evil while Hardin died for things he had no control over doesn't exactly help either. 

I mean, ultimately, the unpopularity of Ieyasu is Koei Tecmo's fault. He should have had a more appealing design, like he does in Sengoku Basaara.

14 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh, you can count me in on the dislike train for those two as well, but for different reasons. Owain was hit and miss to me to begin with (sometimes he was funny, sometimes I thought he was just being stupid), but then him and Ophelia just got such horrible outfits in Fates that I can't take them seriously.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That Ishida gets to be so popular because he's pretty and his rival being unpopular at least partially due to being a fat old man only makes it worse.

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I mean, ultimately, the unpopularity of Ieyasu is Koei Tecmo's fault. He should have had a more appealing design, like he does in Sengoku Basaara.

If it is any consolation, I actually like Ieyasu's character in Samurai Warriors. More than Ishida, in fact.
But we all know deep down that Nobuyuki Sanada is best boi.

---

On topic:
Fire Emblem alone has plenty of characters that are on my shitlist. The most popular examples would probably be:
Azura, Xander, Ryoma, Takumi, Leo, Camilla, Hinoka, Tharja, Cordelia, Inigo, Anna, Hector, and Ephraim.
Depending on how popular they are, you can add Leonie, Linhardt, Lorenz, and Sylvain (I'm sorry, Ana, I just hate the philanderer archetype with a burning passion) to this list for Three Houses reps.

As for other games, IF (from Neptunia) has always been a sore spot for me. She's massively popular within the Neptunia fanbase, popular enough to get her own spin-off game that I will never play. But I absolutely hate her guts, because every other line out of her mouth is insults or Captain Obvious statements. And they're not even the funny, teasing kind of insults, but outright hostilities that really make me wonder how this girl has any friends whatsoever.

I'm also not too fond of Rex from Xenoblade 2. I think he's the worst part about the game, tbh.
It's a damn shame that by the end, the game becomes the Rex and Pyra/Mythra (who aren't too interesting, either) show, and the other characters are just there because we need a full party.

Gengar. I hate how Gengar gets Mega Evolution and Gigantamax while Mismagius who has been living under Gengar’s shadow for its whole life gets none of that buffs despite being underdogs. 

Salamence. I really dislike how Salamence and Dragonite are practically identical. They both are psuedo-legendaries that start from pure Dragon type and then into Dragon/Flying. Stat wise, they Salamence actually has literally one point higher attack than Dragonite, slightly higher Sp.Atk and noticeably higher speed, while Dragonite has higher defensive stats. Dragonite was outclassed by Salamence  until Gen 5, which was when Dragonite got Multiscale to separate it from Salamence. 

The worst part of Salamence was its Mega Evolution, which basically outclassed Mega Altaria, which was a new Pokémon that was a given a new life only to be overshadowed by a Pokémon who did not need a Mega Evolution. 

There is a couple more, but I wanted to get these off my shoulders. 

Edited by ZeManaphy

Well, for me it has to be Sora, and it has nothing to do with his character, it's the series he comes from

How bloated the story of Kingdom Hearts has just made me dislike him, seriously why is every spin off game crucial to the main story, do they even have a solid plan for the future

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure if "dislike" would be the word, but I would say Cloud from FFVII. Although he was a bit better in the remake, I still dont think he's very interesting.

more like he's not very INTERESTED HAHAHAHA sorry i just had to make this joke

1 minute ago, ZeManaphy said:

Gengar. I hate how Gengar gets Mega Evolution and Gigantamax while Mismagius who has been living under Gengar’s shadow for its whole life gets none of that buffs despite being underdogs. 

ah yes, the same for me, but with Charizard, i just had enough

1 minute ago, Yexin said:

more like he's not very INTERESTED HAHAHAHA sorry i just had to make this joke

😂 no blame there! But good grief, is he so dreadfully boring.

44 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Not gonna disagree with this at all, I actually totally feel you on them getting stale over time especially if you didn't like it to begin with, I'm just personally a big fan of the trope. I also completely agree, Ophelia in her Siegbert support is pretty awful and I do not blame you for disliking her for that.

But I'm actually gonna come in and talk about said Ophelia/Siegbert support a little. The Eng script as a whole really tries to push Ophelia's pride to usually blinded levels of it, where as in Jp she is, yes very prideful to the point of occasional rudeness, but NOWHERE near the level that Eng Ophelia hits.
(in the spoiler is a copypaste of a write up i did elsewhere)

Spoiler

"... eng decided to make her way more rude and snooty overall when shes, prideful yes, but never particularly rude, and especially never purposefully
like in JP Ophelia moreso tries to avoid confrontation with Siegbert during her B rather than straight up shoo him away and act way ruder in ENG
its a fan translation but what especially gets me is the end of the B support because in ENG she tries to rush him along and barely hears him out until the very end while in JP she actually listens to him
Siegberts in ENG makes some kinda rude, but understandable due to how kinda frustrated eng sieg seems to get, remarks too which feels way out of character from him as well"

JP:
Siegbert: For example even when I become king one day...that won't mean I was chosen, neither by the people or retainers or anyone. That is me.
Ophelia: Siegbert...
Siegbert: I apologize for stopping you, that is all I wanted to say. Well then, I will take my leave. Keep doing your best. If it is you then I believe you will become a splendid chosen one.
Ophelia: Ah, Siegbert....he's gone...I-I've hurt Siegbert...

ENG:
Siegbert: When I am king, it won't be because my people chose me.
Ophelia: Get to the point.
Siegbert: Isn't it obvious? You're a chosen one. Not me. I never could be. I'm just not incredible enough for fate to choose me. But you, Ophelia? You've worked hard for this and it shows. You are a chosen one through and through. How could fate not choose you? That's...all I had to say.
(Siegbert leaves)
Ophelia: Oh, Siegbert... I think I hurt that poor boy's feelings.

"even accounting for it being a fan translation, the general way the 2 versions go is way different in how the two act overall
that final line in the ENG B support has NEVER sat well with me"

You can read the JP support here: https://pastebin.com/TE6zUEak

And yes while it IS a fan translation, the difference in tone is a very big and turns Ophelia into a much worse person in Eng, which is carried over to 2 other supports, Forrest and Ignatius (both of which are far better in JP). It's so weird to see her going from her Midori support, all about how war is hard and sometimes you just need someone to tell you what you want to hear to keep you moving forward and how she's aware enough to be that person even if she does get lost in her own world, to Forrest and Siegbert ENG supports where she's so blinded by pride that she can't take a hint that maybe she's taken it too far before Siegbert spells the whole thing out.

Anyways yeah I just wanted to get this off my chest because I genuinely hate the way Eng Ophelia gets written in those 3 supports and I've seen this get talked about before.

... Oh, right, on thread topic
uhhhh I only really hate Azama across the whole FE cast and among all of gaming? Not much. I love every Pokemon, I don't have any characters I can think of that I dislike...
Not really THAT unpopular but I do have a bit of a hatred for Yosuke from Persona 4 because of how much oh an ass he is to everyone and ESPECIALLY Kanji, but I actually haven't even 100% seen his Social Link yet so I'm reserving my full judgement for now.

Edited by Emerson

Let me see... I realized that I don't have those character that I hate that bad...

Well... I have mixed feelings about Edelgard. I like the character and her concept. I don't like being ally to her, but this doesn't mean I hate the character. I like her... as a villain.

Others FE characters? Not really. I like Camilla and Tharja, two character that are quite popular for haters. I am not a fan of their designs, but it doesn't make me hate them. I am quite neutral about Tharja since I didn't use her in Awakening, but Camilla? I enjoy using her and some of her supports are nice. I like her.

I don't know if he is popular, but Lorenz can enter in my "hate list".

From others games... none that I remember.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Sylvain (I'm sorry, Ana, I just hate the philanderer archetype with a burning passion)

Your posted appeared while I was writting mine, and... yes!!! I Also hate this philanderer archetype!!! It bores me to death!!! I will say that Sylvain is my least hated of this list because he has some personality that I like that is outside this archetype, that you can see it in some supports like with Dedue and Mercedes. But yeah, this archetype is really meh.

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

i liked Min Min actually; never played ARMS, but she looks really fun to play as in Smash

She is fun in ARMS too. I like her a lot. She is the one from ARMS I wanted the most, and I am happy that she is the one picked.

For Fire Emblem, the only ones that really come to mind are Ike and Edelgard, never found the appeal in either of them myself.

As for other series, I find both Cloud and Sephiroth to be very boring and not very interesting characters. Cloud himself just does not have much to him and while I enjoy myself a good edge at times, Cloud is just boring. Sephiroth on the other hand is so one-note that I cannot take him seriously. The remake makes him only worse, making him out to be a big deal but having him only show up near the very end of the game showcasing no personality whatsoever aside from being a gigantic dick. But this is a classic case of ''You can get away with doing evil shit if you're cool enough''.

I'm not even going to open the Pokémon can of worms, that is something that pretty much my opinions are always in reverse to the leading opinion of the fandom. F.E Charizard sucks. and so does Snorlax.

11 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Your posted appeared while I was writting mine, and... yes!!! I Also hate this philanderer archetype!!! It bores me to death!!! I will say that Sylvain is my least hated of this list because he has some personality that I like that is outside this archetype, that you can see it in some supports like with Dedue and Mercedes. But yeah, this archetype is really meh.

Yup.
Every time it appears, it just makes me groan in frustration, because it's a comedy trope that just isn't funny. Never was, never will be.
I find it especially bad in Fire Emblem for some reason. I can't even put my finger on why.
And it gets worse when the characters belonging to that stereotype become insanely popular for some reason, like Inigo.

Sylvain's supports with Dedue and Mercedes are his best ones, definitely. But they don't really make up for the rest for me.

---

While we're on the subject of Pokémon, the franchise itself annoys me. Partially because it has one of the single worst communities imaginable.

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I'm not even going to open the Pokémon can of worms, that is something that pretty much my opinions are always in reverse to the leading opinion of the fandom. F.E Charizard sucks. and so does Snorlax.

I hate how Charizard gets more attention than the others Kanto starters... He got 2 Mega Evolutions, and is the only Kanto starter to be added in the base Sword/Shield.

Yeah... I am quite annoyed... I don't if I hate him because I like the design and using him in Smash... but I am not a huge fan of him though.

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

this is a classic case of ''You can get away with doing evil shit if you're cool enough''.

can't really agree with this statement

for example, Hojo is an awesome villain and i personally love him, yet he's a disgusting, terrible, abhorrent human being

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Yup.
Every time it appears, it just makes me groan in frustration, because it's a comedy trope that just isn't funny. Never was, never will be.
I find it especially bad in Fire Emblem for some reason. I can't even put my finger on why.
And it gets worse when the characters belonging to that stereotype become insanely popular for some reason, like Inigo.

Sylvain's supports with Dedue and Mercedes are his best ones, definitely. But they don't really make up for the rest for me.

Yeah... I also don't know why as well... maybe because we are not the target of these boring jokes? I don't know. Inigo, and also Soleil, are others that I don't like.

And yes... Those Sylvain's supports are pretty good, but do not save the character that much.

6 minutes ago, Yexin said:

can't really agree with this statement

for example, Hojo is an awesome villain and i personally love him, yet he's a disgusting, terrible, abhorrent human being

I'm not talking about Hojo though. He IS an awesome villain and actually gets the screentime and personality he needs to stand out, whereas Sephiroth.... really doesn't, not really sure why Hojo is suddenly part of this conversation. I used that analogy to refer to Sephiroth specifically, because that is how the internet seems to treat him, even though he is in my opinion a horrible villain.