Do you dislike any popular video game characters?

Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Yeah... I also don't know why as well... maybe because we are not the target of these boring jokes? I don't know.

I think that is a likely explanation. Though that does beg the question of who is the target for these jokes?

7 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Inigo, and also Soleil, are others that I don't like.

Oh gods, Soleil... Another reason why Fates in general is on my shitlist. I just left her out of my initial list, because I don't think she's that popular.

8 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

And yes... Those Sylvain's supports are pretty good, but do not save the character that much.

Gotta give it to the writers, they at least made an effort to salvage him.
A failed effort, but an effort nonetheless.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From FE: Chrom Because he looks like an idiot when he's surprised by Robin suggesting an army fights together for the tutorial on pair-up, his animations look stupid (I'm all for rule of cool but you kinda need some restraint, when someone sticks a sword in the ground, even when they're currently in a sword fight with another dude, that's not badass, that's being a dumbass.), He just comes off as a Vanilla incompetent so we can praise the player character, character and that's not very appealing to me. 

Spoiler

And well, what I've heard about his actions in the game's finale kinda make him even less likable to me.

Robin: because Avatar-worship (he's overpowered in gameplay and the interactions with him and the Shepards from the start are pretty much him being trusted/praised a large amount because of being the player character in way that feels super artificial.) and the whole "Having other characters breed for child units" thing never sits right for me (I'm a person who generally believes how you play a game reflects on the protagonist so if you're checking over what stats someone's children will have, that comes across to me as Robin doing that.)

Honestly the attempts at a lighter tone/everyone can romance everyone thing from Awakening...doesn't really reflect well on everyone, when characters are actively getting in anime hi-jinks after Lissa just got permanently crippled from an axe to the spine, that sticks out to me even more than just the character's not commenting on it and the fact that most of the Shepards can engage in a relationship with an underage/visually under age character, well, it honestly it basically makes it impossible for me to like someone when I know they're potentially a molester so the game kinda makes the entire playable cast look like not very good people, so yeah, the fact most males/females can opt to be in relationships with Nowi/Ricken is kinda a completely unforgivable thing for me so the mechanics of Awakening kinda make almost the entire playable cast irredeemable for me. (And the individual character writing makes me hate Lissa and Virion though I don't think those two are popular anyway.)

(And if I took Heroes as canon, which I don't, which lets you deploy very young looking versions of the FE1 cast now, then I'd hate everyone who's a unit in Heroes because then they have no problems with literal child soldiers it seems.)

As for non FE characters:

Reboot Lara Croft: She's just a pretty bland character in, her "character development" basically consists of getting beaten up for the most part and just in general she's an uninteresting invincible hero, getting hurt on-screen  and crying about it doesn't feel genuine when 5 seconds later in gameplay, the injury has magically vanished, it just starts feeling exploitative when your main character is constantly beaten up-close on-screen then fine afterwards and when it's not that, she's got plot armor because the usually "Kill them on sight" bad guys don't just shoot her when they catch her,  multiple times. (She's literally killed over 50 of them at one point and it's the second time they've captured her but nah, don't even take her weapons away so when she escapes 5 seconds later she can just start killing everyone again.) So I basically can't get invested in a character when the plot is bending over backwards. (Also, she's an idiot who uses a bow, against a large group of pistol instead of a semi-automatic pistol she already has in this section in a cutscene.) to keep them alive regardless of how stupid they act.

Big Boss: I like him in MGS3 and Portable Ops but I feel after that he basically became a worse character, his entire plot-arc in Peace-Walker is a bad re-trend of MGS3 (Which is extra bad since with the way the plot unfolds, you could probably remove his contrived "Arc" and just have him be motivated by other stuff in the plot.) and his ability to recruit enemy soldiers goes from "Presenting them with evidence that their person their working for is actually going to nuke their home country" to.....He's just that cool I guess that every single soldier in the world will abandon their country to work for him, every single one which is just kinda silly, in PW, then really silly in MGSV which is trying to be more serious yet the exact same filmsy excuse is used so he sorta gets worse for me while others love him in Peace Walker and MGSV.

Edited by Samz707

Assuming there's a difference between "not like" and "dislike" than no, I don't think so. Listen, I've met some bad characters in the games I've played, but when they do or say something I find objectionable, my objections are aimed at the writers and game designers that brought that character to life in the first place. Video game characters aren't breathing, thinking people. They just do what the video game says that they do. 

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Assuming there's a difference between "not like" and "dislike" than no, I don't think so. Listen, I've met some bad characters in the games I've played, but when they do or say something I find objectionable, my objections are aimed at the writers and game designers that brought that character to life in the first place. Video game characters aren't breathing, thinking people. They just do what the video game says that they do. 

I agree but I still tend to associate  the characters with the writing, I still know it's the writers but if a character consistently acts like a poorly written character. (Such as IMO Chrom.) then I tend to associate them with it.

While I've not finished FE Echoes, I don't have the same associate  of bad writing with Celica, Yes she does act kinda mighty stupid for the sake of the plot but because she's not normally this stupid, I just associate  it with bad writing since she's actually a decent enough character for the most part while if a character's entire..well...character can be the writing that annoys me, then I think of the character and writer.

Edited by Samz707

12 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

(And if I took Heroes as canon, which I don't, which lets you deploy very young looking versions of the FE1 cast now, then I'd hate everyone who's a unit in Heroes because then they have no problems with literal child soldiers it seems.)

All lords employ child soldiers. The baby Archeneans aren't really much younger than the likes of the orphan amigos, Sothe and Tormod, Delthea, Lissa, Ricken and many others. Even some boys who aren't shota's anymore like Takumi, Ashe or Boey would technically fall under child soldiers. Same with non loli girls like Lilina or Annette. Roy is even a child soldier employing other child soldiers. 

Its anime. Shota's, loli's and teenagers is pretty much the norm. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

All lord employ child soldiers. The baby Archeneans aren't really much younger than the likes of the orphan amigo's, Sothe and Tormod, Delthea, Lissa, Ricken and many others. Even some boys who aren't shota's anymore like Takumi, Ashe or Boey would technically fall under child soldiers. Same with non loli girls like Lilina or Annette. Roy is even a child soldier employing other child soldiers. 

Its anime. Shota's, loli's and teenagers is pretty much the norm. 

They're still less young than Ricken and at least have personal stakes. (Boey and such didn't even actually set out to fight, they were just headed to Mia's temple, they fought out of necessity at least while there's no real reason why Chrom can't just take Ricken home and get an actual adult mage from his army, Celica isn't seemingly actively rejecting the possiblity of taking an actually trained adult instead of a child, they're her friends, who are also trained to fight and they weren't even really intended to do half of the fighting they end up doing,  to the point of recruiting Saber for the purpose of fighting rather than willfully endangering children when there are better options, there's a difference between "Forced to fight" and "Well, I could go get an actually trained professional or have a small child fight and possibly die for me.") 

Ricken doesn't even look like he's a teenager yet which makes this especially egregious to me, he looks younger than Lyn and she was only 15 in the original Japanese, it wouldn't surprise me if he's barely 12.

You've also got the fact clearly much older characters can S-Rank Ricken, which is just kinda disgusting.

Edited by Samz707

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

^ This. Bringing up a Pokemon example raised earlier, I similarly hate the distribution of Mega Evolutions to Pokemon like Salamence, Charizard, Metagross etc, but I've never put that on the Pokemon itself so much as I put it on Gamefreak for awful distribution of Megas.

Another example is Camilla, Camilla is a character I really hate being so popular for the reasons that she is, but I can't bring myself to hate her as much as I hate the way she was written. She had a LOT of potential for being a good character, being possibly put into a seat of power she didn't want in BR (which was explored in Heroes but put aside for pandering sadly), experiencing immense childhood trauma from the concubine wars (ONLY explored in Niles/Camilla support), and growing up essentially acting as a mother to her other siblings, but instead of making an interesting character out of those elements, Intsys decided to pander to people who want their marriable "Onee-san". She HAS good supports like Xander/Camilla and Niles/Camilla but SO MUCH is outweighed by Avatar pandering, but I've honestly never put that on Camilla as much as I've put it on the writers.

Conversely, we have Azama, a character who's fully realized as a cynical, nihilistic monk with humorous remarks. Even without a proper backstory, he's still got a generally full and finished character. But I can't stand him and how much he genuinely bullies others for no good reason beyond getting a kick out of it. That's the difference, for me, in disliking a character and disliking a character's writing.

Edited by Emerson

55 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Well... I have mixed feelings about Edelgard. I like the character and her concept. I don't like being ally to her, but this doesn't mean I hate the character. I like her... as a villain.

Others FE characters? Not really. I like Camilla and Tharja, two character that are quite popular for haters. I am not a fan of their designs, but it doesn't make me hate them. I am quite neutral about Tharja since I didn't use her in Awakening, but Camilla? I enjoy using her and some of her supports are nice. I like her.

Huh, it looks like we think in much the same way about these chracters.

But to expand on Camilla, I feel the reason I went from hating her to finder her interesting is due to her backstory. She's easily one of the most tragic characters in Fates, even if the game just wanted her to be pushed as the waifu. I feel what the developers did really hurt what could have been a well rounded character by hiding her backstory in few supports, way overdoing the fanservice, and well, just being a Fates character. Her outfit is aweful, but there are plenty of other characters I like that could really be dressed better, Nowi and Tharja come to mind right away.

12 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Roxas > Sora and always has been.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I enjoy KH1 and 2's combat, even with Sora as the lead so I dont hold that against him, from a gameplay POV. I just would prefer any other character in the lead. (Aqua, please!)

2 minutes ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Huh, it looks like we think in much the same way about these chracters.

But to expand on Camilla, I feel the reason I went from hating her to finder her interesting is due to her backstory. She's easily one of the most tragic characters in Fates, even if the game just wanted her to be pushed as the waifu. I feel what the developers did really hurt what could have been a well rounded character by hiding her backstory in few supports, way overdoing the fanservice, and well, just being a Fates character. Her outfit is aweful, but there are plenty of other characters I like that could really be dressed better, Nowi and Tharja come to mind right away.

Yep. Camilla's backstory is pretty interesting, but most people only cares for her appearance. Maybe if she had less skin appearing... That's why Adrift Camilla is my favorite Camilla's alt in FEH, because I love that outfit on her.

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Yep. Camilla's backstory is pretty interesting, but most people only cares for her appearance. Maybe if she had less skin appearing... That's why Adrift Camilla is my favorite Camilla's alt in FEH, because I love that outfit on her.

Oh yeah. It's the only Camilla I ever got and I'd refuse to use any other. While the outfit is still midly suggestive, I'd agrue it's much more in character and modest than any of the other, more revealing, outfits Heroes throws around.

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

When the heck did that happen?

Lissa is a plot important character so I'm guessing that if she falls in battle she merely retires and still appears in cutscenes. And I think that Samz was referring to anime hijinks happening after Lissa was forcefully retired from the battlefield. 

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Sylvain (I'm sorry, Ana, I just hate the philanderer archetype with a burning passion)

No worries here. While I tend to be fond of this archtype (Sylvain is my fav, and I love Sain and Inigo and I like Gatrie as well. Virion...for some reason I didn't like him as much as the others, but I definitely don't dislike him), I know it isn't for everyone. It seems to be pretty hit and miss, actually, and that's probably what hurt Sylvain a bit. He cracked the top ten males of the latest Heroes CYL, but he couldn't beat his fellow Blue Lion guys save for Dedue.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I can't believe I didn't mention Felix. He's the only Blue Lion I can't stand. I just hate his attitude. Even worse, his attitude is mostly about chivalry, which I am a fan of.

Edited by Anacybele

From Fire Emblem alone Ike, Lyn, Roy, Mia, Soren, Bernadetta and Veronica are all characters I never really cared for nor saw the appeal of. Can't say I really like characters who are mostly popular for having a fanservice design either such as Camilla, Tharja or Loki.

Other popular characters I don't care too much about are Rosalina from Super Mario Bros, Ridley from Metroid and Shiek from the Legend of Zelda.

When it comes to FE, I'd say my least favorite characters in the series would be Sylvain, Bernadetta, Tharja, Camilla, Sain, Soleil, Cordelia, and Sumia. There are others, but they're not as popular.

Characters from other series that I don't care for are Peach from the Mario series (I prefer Pauline as a character, especially her depiction as a mayor in Odyssey, and I dislike the damsel-in-distress trope), Sonic the Hedgehog (I liked him better when he couldn't talk), the Breath of the Wild incarnation of Zelda, and most incarnations of Ganon (except in Wind Waker; that Ganon was the best written in the entire series).

Edited by twilitfalchion

1: Kefka, Terra, and  Celes  from Final Fantasy 6. I've always low key resented this game as being too melodramatic for it's own good. I understand that they kind have arcs, but nothing really does it for me... not Terra struggling with being half esper and opening an orphanage, Celes attempting suicide, and Kefka, while entertaining as you'd expect from the bad guy role... isn't really entertaining enough imo.. I guess it's coming from a non-RPG experience and wanting things like the Twisted Metal's Caylpso or Banjo Kazzoie's Grunty as my entertaining bad guys rather than the the Tim Burton era Joker performance we get from Kefka. 

2:Lewwyn God of exposition and to a lesser extent other Genalogy of the Holy war charathers. 

3:Krystal from Star Fox - I feel like if you replay actual Star Fox Adventures... a lot of charathers (Fox himself) have really weird animations during cutscenes. Crystal's flightsuit costume from every game after Adventure also kind of comes out of nowhere, and I'd argue fits with the theme (white trench coat and handcherchief scarf) I'd argue that the existing Star fox 64 NPCs like Katt and Bill have more personality despite getting like 2 levels worth of appearances.

I was about to say "the Vocaloid Fukase" until I noticed that you asked for videogame characters specifically (I don't like Fukase's voice, it sounds kinda muffled imo)

Anyway, if we're going purely off of voice, then GOOD GOD I CANNOT TOLERATE SELKIE! Her voice is so annoying imo.

Sumia is kind of bland imo.

Edelgard and Waluigi are characters I don't like that much purely because of their fanbases.

Uh.... that's it off the top of my head. Huh.

For me, it's Hector and to a lesser extent, Lyn. I know that disliking them ain't unpopular, but those two are super popular.

For Lyn, it's because I find her to be mostly bland.

For Hector, well, all of his good character aspects are locked behind Hector mode, which bothers me quite a lot. And I don't really like his character anyways.

Aside from that, I don't like Edelgard as a protagonist, (not gonna lie, partially 'cause of the fanbase)

Severa/Selena also annoy me somewhat. I'm just not too big of a fan of the tsundere trope in general.

And also Coldsteel the Hedgeheg

Edited by Benice

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I suppose I've never been much of a Sephiroth fan. He has this gigantic following but every time I see him outside FF7 he's just so aggressively boring. A one note character who's only motivated by messing with Cloud. I know that's not how he's supposed to be so imagine my annoyance when FF7 Remake decides to use the boring version of Sephiroth that's only interested in messing with Cloud. 

I've only played original FFVII and no compilation/remake but you absolutely shouldn't, but what else was there to Se-phir-roth!? "My alien "mother" (no, not at all your mother), let us embrace and rule over this planet!"

I don't remember getting to see very much of the person of normal Sephiroth before he went "oh my GAWD I'm not human!" nutso. Maybe Crisis Core did good here, but I wouldn't know. 

For Fire Emblem: Peri, Keaton, Tharja, Rhajat, Henry, Azama, Soleil, Niles, Nina, Charlotte, Xander, Shinon, Jakob, Velouria, Selkie, Ophelia, Saul, Kris, Corrin, Nah, Kjelle, Severa/Selena, Camilla, Faye, Cordelia, Sully, Leon, Asugi, Caeldori, Hubert. That is the complete list of playable main cast FE characters I dislike.

Outside of Fire Emblem:

• Kratos, from the God of War franchise. Sack of $#!^ that deserves no attention or popularity at all. This is one character that goes far beyond simply disliking them.
  • Name a tsundere, any tsundere, and there's a very high chance I don't like them. Sorry not sorry, it's all just a crappy smokescreen excuse for being a bunch of big ol' b****es.
  • Bayonetta, and most characters of that franchise. Just not my thing, really. Fun to play as in Smash Bros., though!

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of them right now.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan