Do You Think We Will Get A Capcom rep in FP 2? Who Will It Be?

Bk1234

Do You Think We Will Get A CAPCOM rep in FP 2? If so, who will it be?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think We Will Get A CAPCOM rep in FP 2? If so, who will it be?

• Yes, it will be Dante
    • Yes, it will be Monster Hunter
    • Yes, it will be Phoenix Wright
    • Yes, it will be Amaterasu
    • Yes, it will be "Other Capcom rep." (post who down below)
    • No, there will be no Capcom rep

I think there is a pretty good chance that we will get a Capcom rep. But what do you guys think? What Capcom character would get in? Explain your reasoning below.

Edited by Bk1234

Phoenix Wright, because he offers the most unique playstyle out of every other rep and is arguably the most iconic character of them all. Bringing him in also offers the opportunity for an easy sell for the next entry in the series on switch. The original trilogy has already sold pretty well on it, after all. Then there's the stuff like a courthouse stage, and all of the amazing music/remixes, and the general flair that Wright brings with him. Dante and Monster Hunter to me are just not as interesting, and someone like Amaterasu just doesn't have as much of a legacy in gaming as Wright.

1 minute ago, Brave Lance said:

Phoenix Wright, because he offers the most unique playstyle out of every other rep and is arguably the most iconic character of them all. Bringing him in also offers the opportunity for an easy sell for the next entry in the series on switch. The original trilogy has already sold pretty well on it, after all. Then there's the stuff like a courthouse stage, and all of the amazing music/remixes, and the general flair that Wright brings with him. Dante and Monster Hunter to me are just not as interesting, and someone like Amaterasu just doesn't have as much of a legacy in gaming as Wright.

I hope you're right! Phoenix Wright is one of my Most-Wanted fighters for smash. You brought up some good points about being unique (moveset wise) and legacy, as well as the potential marketability of the character. 

A year ago I would've said Resident Evil, but after they added the spirits for them and considering that it's possible they don't want something that features extra grotesque creatures, I think it's out.

I think it'll be Monster Hunter. It's one of Capcom's biggest franchises and curiously lacks anything beyond Rathalos and his Ancestral Steppe "stage", while also having more than enough material to create a character. The aesthetic and personality of the MH series is a natural fit for Smash, too. Some have speculated a new MH game on Switch is likely, perhaps as a tie-in reveal.

13 minutes ago, Johann said:

A year ago I would've said Resident Evil, but after they added the spirits for them and considering that it's possible they don't want something that features extra grotesque creatures, I think it's out.

I think it'll be Monster Hunter. It's one of Capcom's biggest franchises and curiously lacks anything beyond Rathalos and his Ancestral Steppe "stage", while also having more than enough material to create a character. The aesthetic and personality of the MH series is a natural fit for Smash, too. Some have speculated a new MH game on Switch is likely, perhaps as a tie-in reveal.

god I hope it's monster hunter. Monster hunter is by and large my favorite video game franchise of all time. We have rathalos but you can't have rathalos without the hunter. Monster hunter is the only fighter I need in smash. I already have joker now for some monster hunter rep please. But another monster hunter for switch? that's a little surprising as I would expect the next game to build upon formula world established but hey I ain't gonna complain either way. I miss old school monster hunter anyway.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

god I hope it's monster hunter. Monster hunter is by and large my favorite video game franchise of all time. We have rathalos but you can't have rathalos without the hunter. Monster hunter is the only fighter I need in smash. I already have joker now for some monster hunter rep please.

Dream scenario is the Splatoon treatment, where you get 4 female and 4 male alts, each with a unique armor set. I was a little concerned when Byleth was shown off cuz their moveset is very MH-like, but then there are still like a dozen other unique weapons a Hunter could use, like Switch Axe or Gun Lance.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

But another monster hunter for switch? that's a little surprising as I would expect the next game to build upon formula world established but hey I ain't gonna complain either way. I miss old school monster hunter anyway.

MHW is the formula going forward for sure, it's the best selling game in the series by a landslide. I imagine they didn't bring it to Switch due to graphical issues and that Switch is designed to support portable and local area play in ways PS4 or PC can't.

I would like to see Phoenix Wright make it to Smash but if we are just looking at Capcom there is a ton of competition since Capcom has a lot of popular franchises to choose characters from.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Dream scenario is the Splatoon treatment, where you get 4 female and 4 male alts, each with a unique armor set. I was a little concerned when Byleth was shown off cuz their moveset is very MH-like, but then there are still like a dozen other unique weapons a Hunter could use, like Switch Axe or Gun Lance.

Honestly if Monster Hunter will be a fighter I’d imagine their moveset will incorporate mostly the great sword, insect glaive, the light bow gun, either the switch axe or charge blade, duel blades, and maybe one of the two lances. And between those there are plenty of ideas for a cool and unique moveset

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

My heart wants to say Resident Evil due to Spirits being back on the table.

Base game Spirits, anyways, according to my brain.

Oh yeah base game spirits for sure, especially if you figure spirits exist as a way to pay tribute, so to speak, for characters not in the game, and thus were not planned to be added. Spirits and Mii fighters added after whenever they decided on Fighter Pass 2 are probably not gonna happen if you consider those things as that same sort of tribute. Trouble is, we don't know when they decided on those spirits/costumes or Fighter Pass 2 itself, so we can't determine any kind of cutoff I guess.

I think we have enough Capcom characters along with Sega characters, Konami characters, and Square Enix characters in Ultimate. We definitely just need another Bandai Namco character, an another 3rd Party character, and some more Nintendo characters for Fighter Pass Vol. 2. I really think Fighter Pass Vol. 2 definitely doesn't need to fill too much 3rd Party characters since Fighter Pass Vol. 1 roster has too much 3rd Party characters.

Edited by King Marth 64

not voting cause i'm not so sure we're getting another Capcom rep

who i'd like to see being added in smash is Phoenix Wright, but since preferences are not considered in this thread, i'll just pass

I don't really lean one way or the other in believing that capcom will or will not have new rep but if they do then I hope it's Phoenix cuz I just love the Ace Attorney series and he'd be a very interesting fighter. If not him then I hope it'd be Zero or Chris/Jill. Oh Morrigan would be really good too and I'm sure her design would be no issue if someone like Bayonetta managed to make it in.

Objectively, I think it'll be Dante as his fighting style lends itself well to Smash and the DMC trilogy has released on Switch. Personally, I'd rather get X or Zero, ideally both together as a tag team. X has a generous selection of Special Weapons to choose from and Zero has all his saber moves plus his Z-Buster.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:55 PM, King Marth 64 said:

I think we have enough Capcom characters along with Sega characters, Konami characters, and Square Enix characters in Ultimate. We definitely just need another Bandai Namco character, an another 3rd Party character, and some more Nintendo characters for Fighter Pass Vol. 2. I really think Fighter Pass Vol. 2 definitely doesn't need to fill too much 3rd Party characters since Fighter Pass Vol. 1 roster has too much 3rd Party characters.

Thing is, Capcom has one of the most robust catalogs of iconic characters. They're arguably the second most nostalgic company, behind Nintendo. 

Even if they got say... Dante, the grand-daddy of the character action genre, there would be a hot demand for Monster Hunter (one of Japan's great pasttimes), Phoenix Wright (who is practically synonymous with Nintendo), and Resident Evil (the most iconic horror franchise in gaming).

Whereas Konami has 2 of its 3 most legendary IPs in the game and Square Enix has both of its mainstay IPs in the game.

Bandai Namco is admittedly under-represented. A Tales rep would complete the mainstream JRPG trifecta, so I'm all for that. I'm less excited for the prospect of Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Dark Souls, but there is clearly a high demand for them.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Though I agree that Phoenix Wright would make a more interesting fighter mechanically, I'd like to see Dante in Smash. Like, come on, you'd be able to face off Dante vs. Bayonetta, that alone is worth it 😉 

On 6/25/2020 at 5:20 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Thing is, Capcom has one of the most robust catalogs of iconic characters. They're arguably the second most nostalgic company, behind Nintendo. 

Even if they got say... Dante, the grand-daddy of the character action genre, there would be a hot demand for Monster Hunter (one of Japan's great pasttimes), Phoenix Wright (who is practically synonymous with Nintendo), and Resident Evil (the most iconic horror franchise in gaming).

Whereas Konami has 2 of its 3 most legendary IPs in the game and Square Enix has both of its mainstay IPs in the game.

Bandai Namco is admittedly under-represented. A Tales rep would complete the mainstream JRPG trifecta, so I'm all for that. I'm less excited for the prospect of Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Dark Souls, but there is clearly a high demand for them.

Well, my point that I was going to say two 3rd party franchises made by the same 3rd party company in the roster is definitely enough for Ultimate and plus, we do know that Dante from Devil May Cry is definitely most likely deconfirmed in Ultimate by Ken's VA and the Director of Devil May Cry series. I definitely think adding an another Capcom character will might definitely hog the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 (incase if there's too many 3rd Party Fighters hogging up the Fighter Pass roster again) because some of us wanted some Nintendo characters, another Bandai Namco character, and maybe one more another 3rd Party Fighter for Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since Fighter Pass Vol. 1 was hogged by too much 3rd Party characters (4 out of 5 in the roster). Tekken rep is most unlikely due to Heihachi Mii Fighter costume was added in the Round #6 Mii Fighter Wave.

I definitely think a third 3rd Party Franchise rep (I'm not saying all 3 or 4 3rd Party Fighters made by the same 3rd Party company, I'm talking about three 3rd Party franchises from the same 3rd Party company) should be saved for later and be introduced in the next game incase if Super Smash Bros. Ultimate got a sequel or the future Fighter Pass like Vol. 3 or 4 or so on incase if Sakurai decided to change his mind and make it happen if he's getting alot better in the future during at Quaratine.