Pokemon Sword: I Need Help Making my Team

vanguard333

So, I plan to get Pokémon Sword at some point. For context, I've been playing Pokémon since Diamond/Pearl, and, so far, I've played every generation since then except gen 5 and gen 8. When I get a new Pokémon game, I have it that my story team consists entirely of new Pokémon (including regional variants as of gen 7). I've seen all the new Pokémon and regional variants for this game, I've made a list of the Pokémon I'm interested in using, and I need help narrowing it down to a team of six:

Starter Pokémon: 

• Scorbunny
  • Sobble

Other Pokémon:

• Rookidee
  • Wooloo
  • Chewtle
  • Sinistea
  • Galarian Koffing
  • Galarian Farfetch'd
  • Milcery
  • Falinks
  • Stonjourner

Any suggestions?

Edited by vanguard333

Between Scorbunny and Sobble, I recommend Scorbunny. It's useful against a wide variety of pokemon and it's personal move is a whopping 120 power and 100 accuracy.

Rookidee and Chewtle evolve into pokemon that are also useful against a wide variety of big battles, to the point that between Cinderace, Dreadnaw, and Corviknight I rarely had to change out. After that I recommend just filling the team out with pokemon to cover any glaring weaknesses. Dark type coverage would come in major handy, you fight a lot of dark types in this game.

5 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Between Scorbunny and Sobble, I recommend Scorbunny. It's useful against a wide variety of pokemon and it's personal move is a whopping 120 power and 100 accuracy.

Rookidee and Chewtle evolve into pokemon that are also useful against a wide variety of big battles, to the point that between Cinderace, Dreadnaw, and Corviknight I rarely had to change out. After that I recommend just filling the team out with pokemon to cover any glaring weaknesses. Dark type coverage would come in major handy, you fight a lot of dark types in this game.

Thanks. Scorbunny it is then. 

Well, in terms of dark type coverage, my plan was to include Milcrey or Weezing (both fairy types), and at least one of the two fighting types, so that should cover it. I can't decide between Sirfetch'd or Falinks; having both would be redundant, but I find them both so interesting. 

I know I want to use Wooloo almost regardless of viability, so that's Scorbunny, Rookidee, Wooloo, Chewtle, Milcrey/Weezing, and Farfetch'd/Falinks. That's six; I just need to decide on the fighting type. Which one (if either) would you recommend?

Edited by vanguard333

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Galarian Koffing

There's no Galarian Koffing. It's just Galarian Weezing. Koffing is still the same.

I can't really give any recommendations that haven't already been mentioned, though. Sorry. >_<

Between Falinks and Sirfetch'd I prefer Sirfetch'd just because I like the design more and giving it a Leek makes it a fun crit machine with guaranteed crits on Leaf Blade and Night Slash. It can also get around its mediocre speed by abusing the dynamax flying move to raise its speed while still dishing out damage.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There's no Galarian Koffing. It's just Galarian Weezing. Koffing is still the same.

I was using the names of the first to refer to the entire line; that's the reason I put, "Galarian" there. Sorry for the confusion; I realize that I should've been more clear.

23 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Between Falinks and Sirfetch'd I prefer Sirfetch'd just because I like the design more and giving it a Leek makes it a fun crit machine with guaranteed crits on Leaf Blade and Night Slash. It can also get around its mediocre speed by abusing the dynamax flying move to raise its speed while still dishing out damage.

Interesting. Those are good points. It's a really tough call. 

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I was using the names of the first to refer to the entire line; that's the reason I put, "Galarian" there. Sorry for the confusion; I realize that I should've been more clear.

Oh okay then. That's fine. Also, it makes me sad that you're not interested in Galarian Ponyta. It's so cute and then gorgeous when it evolves, at least to me. But I guess pretty unicorns aren't for everyone. lol But it is also a Shield exclusive too, so yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh okay then. That's fine. Also, it makes me sad that you're not interested in Galarian Ponyta. It's so cute and then gorgeous when it evolves, at least to me. But I guess pretty unicorns aren't for everyone. lol But it is also a Shield exclusive too, so yeah.

I am interested in getting Galarian Ponyta; the game's region is based on the UK, and the unicorn is Scotland's national animal. But, as you said, it's exclusive to Shield. It was a tough call but I think i would prefer getting Sword, one reason being the legendary. 

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I am interested in getting Galarian Ponyta; the game's region is based on the UK, and the unicorn is Scotland's national animal. But, as you said, it's exclusive to Shield. It was a tough call but I think i would prefer getting Sword, one reason being the legendary. 

Yeah, understandable, even if you could just trade for one.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, understandable, even if you could just trade for one.

True, and I do intend to trade for one. I just don't like using traded Pokémon in my story team. 

By the way, which fighting type do you think I should use: Sirfetch'd or Falinks? Or should I maybe use one of the other Pokémon I listed?

30 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

True, and I do intend to trade for one. I just don't like using traded Pokémon in my story team. 

By the way, which fighting type do you think I should use: Sirfetch'd or Falinks? Or should I maybe use one of the other Pokémon I listed?

Okay, that's fine.

And I dunno. I don't care too much for either one. Though if I had to pick, I guess Sirfetch'd.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, that's fine.

And I dunno. I don't care too much for either one. Though if I had to pick, I guess Sirfetch'd.

Oh. Okay. In that case, which do you recommend: Alcremie or Galarian Weezing?

55 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh. Okay. In that case, which do you recommend: Alcremie or Galarian Weezing?

Well, I think Alcremie is much cuter looking, but other than that, I can't really say. I haven't used either of them.

59 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I think Alcremie is much cuter looking, but other than that, I can't really say. I haven't used either of them.

Alcremie it is. 

In any case, it's probably for the best that I'm going with Alcremie. Whichever of the two fighting-type Pokémon I pick, I will end up with at least five Pokémon that are focused on physical attack & defence, so it would probably be best to have at least one Pokémon that focuses on special attack & defence. 

20 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Alcremie it is. 

In any case, it's probably for the best that I'm going with Alcremie. Whichever of the two fighting-type Pokémon I pick, I will end up with at least five Pokémon that are focused on physical attack & defence, so it would probably be best to have at least one Pokémon that focuses on special attack & defence. 

Alright, whatever you want in the end! 🙂

Just gonna throw my thoughts into the mix.

Less of opinions on what you should use and more of an idea for how to try having more fun with the game when ya play it.

Don't go in with a big plan. Just try to have fun out of the spontaneous decisions you make on the fly.

Just try to keep type balance in mind as you play through and make a team of Pokémon that feel comfortable to use. In my personal experience, the teams often turn out to be more fun and interestingly put together under conditions like this because you're not going out of your way to meet a fixed criteria which might accidentally overlevel you or something silly like that.

Nice to know you've got your team figured out. By the way, in case you don't know, Galarian Farfetch'd and Milcery have some really out there evolution requirements.

54 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Nice to know you've got your team figured out. By the way, in case you don't know, Galarian Farfetch'd and Milcery have some really out there evolution requirements.

Thanks. I am aware; Farfetch'd requires getting three critical hits in one battle, which is made easier if they hold a leek, and Milcery requires the character spinning around while holding a specific type of item. 

Edited by vanguard333

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. I am aware; Farfetch'd requires getting three critical hits in one battle, which is made easier if they hold a leek, and Milcery requires the character spinning around while holding a specific type of item. 

I would add that the first one is best done in a trainer battle for obvious reasons. The second one, though, makes me think "how does Gamefreak come up with this crap?!", given that that's not something I would even think possible unless I was told.

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would add that the first one is best done in a trainer battle for obvious reasons. The second one, though, makes me think "how does Gamefreak come up with this crap?!", given that that's not something I would even think possible unless I was told.

Thanks. 

To be honest, it's not like there haven't been strange evolutions before, and it makes sense for a cream-making Pokémon to evolve by essentially being stirred.