Who's a video game character you feel is overhated?

Perkilator

Just as the title says. Any game character you feel like is overhated? Then this thread needs no introduction.

For me, it's Sora from Kingdom Hearts. I know people rag on him for plenty of reasons, but his positive attitudeĀ helped me shape myself into someone who sees the good over the bad wherever I can.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Rex from Xenoblade 2, for much the same reason. To this day I'd say he's probably one of my favourite protagonists from a video game.

Rex is hated? That honestly shocks me. I find him adorable.

Anyway, I'd say Elincia from Fire Emblem. For a major character with a beautiful appearance and nicely written arc, she's sure not liked much and that saddens me. I love her a lot.

Edited by Anacybele

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Rex is hated? That honestly shocks me. I find him adorable.

Heā€™s not universally hated or anything, but heā€™s definitely more controversial than, say, Shulk. At least on Reddit it seems to be a 50/50 split between love and hate him. For me at least, his perspective on the world around him and his story were a massive part of why the story resonated with me so much, which is why I feel he gets too much flack.

11 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Heā€™s not universally hated or anything, but heā€™s definitely more controversial than, say, Shulk. At least on Reddit it seems to be a 50/50 split between love and hate him. For me at least, his perspective on the world around him and his story were a massive part of why the story resonated with me so much, which is why I feel he gets too much flack.

I see. But yeah, I do see your point about Rex.

Honestly, although I'm not a Camilla fan, I do think that she IS overhated; sure, she's not a great character, (most of the time) but the amount of derision the word "Camilla" generates is sort of startling.

This is a bit hard for me to answer, since a lot of the characters who I'm aware of being widely-hated, well... I tend to actually see a lot of validity in the gripes with them underneath the hyperbole and vitriol. Doesn't mean I feel the same way, but like, I get why people would dislike them that much.

For me... I guess I'd say Donnel? He's probably more obscure than a lot of characters people are likely to bring up here, but he's just... so incredibly inoffensive as far as I can tell? Like I can understand not really caring about him because he's so easily-missable and I know a lot of Fire Emblem players aren't as interested in using "investment units" as I am, but actively hating him just feels a bit excessive to me.

i absolutely agree with what's been said about Sora and Rex: i understand they can be preceived as boring, but imo they've done nothing to deserve all the hate they get
at the same time, although i really like him, i think Roxas is very overrated: seriously, go back and play 358/2 Days once more, you'll realizeĀ how big of an asshole he can be at times due to that game's particularly terrible writing, despite being all "i love my friends so much", even more than Sora

I feel any question like this is a little loaded (not that I think the OP intended it that way). Few characters are truly really hated. They're just divisive. For every character that is hated by a subset, there's a subset that absolutely loves them while the majority lingers on indifferent (prompting such responses as we've seen of "Huh? That character is hated?"). So rather than hated I'd prefer to phrase it as underappreciated. To that I say Kuja is the greatest Final Fantasy villain, fight me.

2 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

This is a bit hard for me to answer, since a lot of the characters who I'm aware of being widely-hated, well... I tend to actually see a lot of validity in the gripes with them underneath the hyperbole and vitriol. Doesn't mean I feel the same way, but like, I get why people would dislike them that much.

For me... I guess I'd say Donnel? He's probably more obscure than a lot of characters people are likely to bring up here, but he's just... so incredibly inoffensive as far as I can tell? Like I can understand not really caring about him because he's so easily-missable and I know a lot of Fire Emblem players aren't as interested in using "investment units" as I am, but actively hating him just feels a bit excessive to me.

I wonder if it's possibly because recruiting him is kinda a pain if you're not thinking about just exploiting the fact Archers can't do anything if you physically block them off from moving, so anyone playing Awakening, either as an early game or as their first game. (In my experience) is going to be very frustrated very quickly on how they actually feed Donnel kills without him dying, since he does so little damage it's actually hard to feed him kills otherwise in my experience and border-line impossible to get enemies in the "sweet" spot via attacks from other units since he doesĀ thatĀ little damage while pretty much dying from one round of combat with pretty much every other enemy. (And his hit chance isn't super high if I remember either.)

So it's probably slightly because of how hard it is to recruit him in the first place (Since people love to recommend Awakening as a first game.)Ā so their frustration with his recruitment overflows onto him.

Edited by Samz707

I'd say Ignatz. The fanbase generally seems to haveĀ had a very negative reaction towards Ignatz from the start and even after the game came out he's still often found in the bottom of many polls. And there just doesn't seem to be any reason as to why this should be the case. In fact Ignatz has several traits that were seen as very favorably when other characters had them.Ā 

And I second Rex. He's a bit of an easy target due to his screaming not sounding great but that's not too big of a deal.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd say Ignatz. The fanbase generally seems to haveĀ had a very negative reaction towards Ignatz from the start and even after the game came out he's still often found in the bottom of many polls. And there just doesn't seem to be any reason as to why this should be the case. In fact Ignatz has several traits that were seen as very favorably when other characters had them.Ā 

I second this. It's not on the same level as, say, Cyril, but he does get a lot of very unjustified hate. I can't confirm we have the same idea about traits, but I honestly think he's one of the mostĀ versatile characters in the game while also being one of the characters that grows the most between the game. He might be one of the best dodge tanks, his personal skill shines on finishing speedy units (most notable in Maddening), and he can be amazing as a Support Unit (combat art debuff, healing, rally, etc)....but maybe people just don't like him because find him ugly or something?

(And while writing thisĀ I discovered that his voice actor isĀ Christian La Monte..it all makes sense now..)

Smash Ultimate Lucina. It's always either, "I hate her because she's just better than Marth!" Or, "I hate her because her gameplay is boring!" It gets really old really quick.

I'm going to be devil's advocate and say Peri. Her writing is poorly handled and it's hard to even understand a character when they're so morally offensive, but I can sympathize with her backstory, even though it's not given as much attention as it probably should have been. She's not a cold, heartless murderer because she was born that way. She was a child who tragically saw her mother die at the hands of a servant and developed horrifically violent tendencies because of it. There's no redeeming her actions, but her and Laslow's supports at least give some understanding as to why she is the way she is. She's meant to be pitied, but because of how the Fateswakening supports tend to take one gimmick or part of a character's personality and overemphasize it, this aspect of Peri's character is woefully underdeveloped.

Cloud from FF7 - People complain that he represents angst or being cool for the sake of it, but I kind of enjoy his charather arc. I like that he lives thinking he is a famous soldier, but those memories belong to the deceased Zack. He kind of assumes that maybe he is a fully artificial lifeform (hence the controllability) during his depression phase. During the memory sequence, he realizes he was the helmeted minor grunt in those same scenes and is comfort in proof that he really existed after all. Maybe not the best payoff, but I like a ;lot of the little things along the way - even before the wheelchair, you can sometimes see scenes where other charathers who know things lie to keep up Cloud's fiction. Some of these charather interactions could even be interesting in a game with a less supernatural plot where the lying wasn't even based on supernatural reasons.Ā 

I think Cloud has the bad fortune of Square Enix never really understanding what made him popular and just shoving an extremely simplified version of him in everything after FF7. I've never played the original FF7 but I did see its characters in many products after they became a big hit. And Cloud was always so aggressively boring about everything. A joyless emo who couldn't be bothered to get motivated about anything. In FF7 he'sĀ not that caricature anymore and I've warmed up to him a great deal. Rather than a boring emo he's a dork who's attempts to be too cool for school, and overly edgy are just an act, an act he's not even very good at. I can appreciate that much more than what Square originally thought was interesting about Cloud.Ā Ā 

There's also Dark Pit from Kid Icarus. He's appreciated by the Kid Icarus community because we're a sophisticated bunch but the Smash community dislikes Pittoo very much. They often complain about him being a boring clone, an unnecessary character or that he's ''stealing'' a slot due to Sakurai bias. All of that is nonsense. Dark Pit isn't the greatest addition in the world but he's also extremely easy to implement and only included at the last moment because time and resources were too little to add anyone else. He took even less time and resources then Lucina. I kinda suspect Pittoo being a lil angel boy and Lucina being a cute waifu made people a lot more forgiving of the later than the former.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Whereas I genuinely think that Lloyd from Tales of SymphoniaĀ was a flat, generic protagonist.

Speaking of Symphonia. Emil and Marta have a terrible reputation in certain circles but I always liked them a lot. Emil's so wimpy and pitiful that its actually quite endearing and it gives chance for some good character growth. Marta might swoon a biiit too much but its also the only sort of positive attention Emil gets in years so its just what he needs.Ā 

As pointed out before, there are very few characters who are truly hated but i'm gonna have to echo what's been said about Rex. I understand that his voice acting isn't the best and his motivations at the start aren't as compelling (especially when compared to Shulk) but man, he's just super chill. One of my favorite kinds of characters are the really casual ones and Rex is basically that. He's my favorite Xeno protagonist because of that (note: favorite, not best, best Xeno protag is Fei and it's not even a contest).

Also i find Rex to be a better protagonist than Shulk but that's a discussion for another time *whistles*.