Who's a video game character you feel is overhated?

Perkilator

I think Rex is not entirely disliked, just not liked as much as the others in person of Nia, Zeke and Rex's ladies on his side.

Most Xenoblade characters have some Celtic or Welsh accent, so I can't see why Rex has a worse voice than others.

Edited by Falcom Knight

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overhated characters?
*looks at member badge*

... Yeah.

While we're on the topic of Echoes, I feel like Faye gets way too much flak, too.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Speaking of Symphonia. Emil and Marta have a terrible reputation in certain circles but I always liked them a lot. Emil's so wimpy and pitiful that its actually quite endearing and it gives chance for some good character growth. Marta might swoon a biiit too much but its also the only sort of positive attention Emil gets in years so its just what he needs. 

I'll die on that hill: Emil and Marta are fantastic characters. I personally love them both.

---

As for the Rex discussion, here's my highly unqualified take on it: Xenoblade 2 in general has shonen anime written all over it (it's not too different from DragonBall Z or Naruto in terms of atmosphere and storytelling), and Rex himself feels like the textbook shonen anime protagonist. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you (since I actually liked Naruto), just an observation.

As far as my own opinion on him goes, I've already entered that minefield of saying that I didn't find him to be all that compelling and that I would have liked the game better if either Nia or Zeke were the protagonist instead, so I'll just leave it at that.

Ignatz from Fire Emblem: Three Houses. What did he do to deserve it? Dang.

Lyn, SPECIFICALLY in the context of Heroes. Several other characters were and have gotten alts at a greater pace, and just simply have more, yet she shoulders all the hate and it's %@&#ing dumb.

Camilla. I do not like her, but I do feel a lot of people tend to go overboard on it. She isn't the worst character in the series Peri is.

Cyril. He's not the only one with a Rhea problem yet everyone focuses all their hate on him while conveniently ignoring Catherine (not that she deserves any hate either but the double standards are painful). Also gets ragged on for being a poor unit despite coming with good bases and growths along with early access to one of the most broken skills.

Camilla, Tharja and Faye also don't deserve as much hate as they get. Especially Tharja though since I constantly see people accusing her of being an abusive mom/wife when her hexes are at worst practical pranks or placebos like Noire's charm. "oh no, your mother made my nose runny. How ever will I live through this?"

12 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Cyril. He's not the only one with a Rhea problem yet everyone focuses all their hate on him while conveniently ignoring Catherine (not that she deserves any hate either but the double standards are painful). Also gets ragged on for being a poor unit despite coming with good bases and growths along with early access to one of the most broken skills.

Camilla, Tharja and Faye also don't deserve as much hate as they get. Especially Tharja though since I constantly see people accusing her of being an abusive mom/wife when her hexes are at worst practical pranks or placebos like Noire's charm. "oh no, your mother made my nose runny. How ever will I live through this?"

Isn't it implied Noire literally developed her split personality because of her mother's abuse?

ah yes, i'd like to name another character

Tidus from FFX: i really don't get why people hate him so much, he's just a regular teen with a credible background

actually, out of all FF main characters, i think he's the only one who truly seems to be and act like a 100% regular guy with a regular background (is this maybe what makes him so disliked?)

is he annoying, rash and irrational? probably, but who wasn't like that in his/her teens?

does he take too much screentime for hinself and yuna, leaving too little space for the other party members? absolutely, but honestly i think it's for the best

lulu, wakka, rikku and kimahri are very simple characters, but they're given just enough screentime to make them very likeable and deep, and they all get a chance to shine during the game

Edited by Yexin

34 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Isn't it implied Noire literally developed her split personality because of her mother's abuse?

Kinda. But there's never really much detail other than Noire saying she subjected her to "nasty curses" but every time that one of her hexes is showcased it's always something tame like watery eyes or runny noses. So at the very least, if Noire really was subjected to some abusive stuff, it wasn't from the Tharja we know but future past Tharja which is long gone and should imo be considered a different person entirely.

56 minutes ago, Yexin said:

Tidus from FFX: i really don't get why people hate him so much, he's just a regular teen with a credible background

I disagree with the "regular" part - he's a sports superstar with an even more acclaimed father, who also happens to be rather terrible at being a parent. Basically the newest 16-year-old Real or Barca shooting star with some (understandable) daddy issues on top.

Otherwise, I agree with you. I think he's a good character and protagonist - I like Zidane and Cloud better, all things considered, but Tidus works quite fine, too. I don't even mind the famous HA HA HA HA HA HA scene, it's just two kinds being silly, ffs.

34 minutes ago, ping said:

I disagree with the "regular" part - he's a sports superstar with an even more acclaimed father, who also happens to be rather terrible at being a parent. Basically the newest 16-year-old Real or Barca shooting star with some (understandable) daddy issues on top.

Otherwise, I agree with you. I think he's a good character and protagonist - I like Zidane and Cloud better, all things considered, but Tidus works quite fine, too. I don't even mind the famous HA HA HA HA HA HA scene, it's just two kinds being silly, ffs.

by "regular" i meant "which could exist IRL", and characters such as Cloud, Terra and others don't really fit that description

sorry, i probably worded it poorly

about Tidus's laugh, i absolutely loved it, but people apparently like to decontestualize it: it's very clear he's not laughing sincerely, that he's kinda forcing himself to, and by doing so he's also trying to let everything he's been bottling up since way before his arrival in Spira out

also when talking about that scene, most people tend to conveniently forget that Yuna does the same immediately after, because she has just as many unexpressed feeling and emotions as Tidus does

then they start laughing weirdly together, a scene which eventually bursts into a really honest and sincere laugh

i love that scene, it so sweet

Edited by Yexin

10 minutes ago, Yexin said:

about Tidus's laugh, i absolutely loved it, but people apparently like to decontestualize it: it's very clear he's not laughing sincerely, that he's kinda forcing himself to, and by doing so he's also trying to let everything he's been bottling up since way before his arrival in Spira out

also when talking about that scene, most people tend to conveniently forget that Yuna does the same immediately after, because she has just as many unexpressed feeling and emotions as Tidus does

then they start laughing weirdly together, a scene which eventually bursts into a really honest and sincere laugh

i love that scene, it so sweet

Not mention IIRC it's SUPPOSED TO BE AWK-WARD! Didn't it involve Tidus not realizing the fate of Yuna at the end of her pilgrimage and nobody being so courageous as to want to explain it to Tidus?

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not mention IIRC it's SUPPOSED TO BE AWK-WARD! Didn't it involve Tidus not realizing the fate of Yuna at the end of her pilgrimage and nobody being so courageous as to want to explain it to Tidus?

yes, it is indeed supposed to be awkward

well that scene happens later on in the game, but yeah, Tidus takes most of the party's circumstances quite lightly because he doesn't know what Yuna and the others feel, mostly because they don't tell him much to begin with

god i still fail to understand what's so hateful about him #Tidus4Smash

Edited by Yexin

13 hours ago, Hong Nhi said:

not that guy.

The guy just joined Avengers: Sasuke-kun Shippuden

Is that really a video game character?

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Overhated characters?
*looks at member badge*

... Yeah.

While we're on the topic of Echoes, I feel like Faye gets way too much flak, too.

I'll die on that hill: Emil and Marta are fantastic characters. I personally love them both.

---

As for the Rex discussion, here's my highly unqualified take on it: Xenoblade 2 in general has shonen anime written all over it (it's not too different from DragonBall Z or Naruto in terms of atmosphere and storytelling), and Rex himself feels like the textbook shonen anime protagonist. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you (since I actually liked Naruto), just an observation.

As far as my own opinion on him goes, I've already entered that minefield of saying that I didn't find him to be all that compelling and that I would have liked the game better if either Nia or Zeke were the protagonist instead, so I'll just leave it at that.

I don't think it'd endear me to him anymore, but I'm going to take all this Rex talk as an opportunity to vocalize something I've been wondering since I first played the game. Why isn't Rex black? Every other villager from his island is dark skinned. Oh but wait, he wasn't originally from there having been ship wrecked with his parents...except he's also able to open those really secure seals that only people from his village are able to open. How does that work? Magical DNA test I can buy, but magical cultural background check? That strains my disbelief highly. I was expecting all this to be reconciled in a twist where we discover who his parents are and what relevance they have, only they turn out to be absolute nobodies, unless there's some random NPC text or Heart to Heart I overlooked. Rex being a ship wreck survivor seems to exist just to justify his pasty ass skin. But even with that he's spent his life growing up on a tropical island and spends all of his time out at sea. The kid should at least have a tan.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't think it'd endear me to him anymore, but I'm going to take all this Rex talk as an opportunity to vocalize something I've been wondering since I first played the game. Why isn't Rex black? Every other villager from his island is dark skinned. Oh but wait, he wasn't originally from there having been ship wrecked with his parents...except he's also able to open those really secure seals that only people from his village are able to open. How does that work? Magical DNA test I can buy, but magical cultural background check? That strains my disbelief highly. I was expecting all this to be reconciled in a twist where we discover who his parents are and what relevance they have, only they turn out to be absolute nobodies, unless there's some random NPC text or Heart to Heart I overlooked. Rex being a ship wreck survivor seems to exist just to justify his pasty ass skin. But even with that he's spent his life growing up on a tropical island and spends all of his time out at sea. The kid should at least have a tan.

Torna ~ The Golden Country implies that Rex is possibly Addam's direct discendant. Malos makes the "those eyes" comment to both Rex and Addam. And Addam is a father in Torna (well, about to be, the final sidequest in the game states his wife is pregnant). Addam's direct lineage may have left Leftheria and it wasn't until Rex and his folks that they returned. A lot can happen in 500 years.

If true, the comparisons Pyra and Mythra make between Rex and Addam may be more than just coincidental.

Edited by Armagon

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Torna ~ The Golden Country implies that Rex is possibly Addam's direct discendant. Malos makes the "those eyes" comment to both Rex and Addam. And Addam is a father in Torna (well, about to be, the final sidequest in the game states his wife is pregnant). Addam's direct lineage may have left Leftheria and it wasn't until Rex and his folks that they returned. A lot can happen in 500 years.

If true, the comparisons Pyra and Mythra make between Rex and Addam may be more than just coincidental.

Does that mean the Leftherian locks encountered by the game couldn't actually be opened by any genuine Leftherian and only be people possessing Addam's DNA? We could still have the whole descender angle if Addam slept with black people in the village he himself founded.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Does that mean the Leftherian locks encountered by the game couldn't actually be opened by any genuine Leftherian and only be people possessing Addam's DNA? We could still have the whole descender angle if Addam slept with black people in the village he himself founded.

Well like I said, a lot can happen in 500 years. You know how everyone in Europe is pretty much descended from Charlemagne? A similar deal is likely at play here. Also, if we assume two scenarios:

A. Addam's children married Leftherian natives over time

B. Addam's wife died when Torna sank and Addam later remarried a Leftherian native

Rex would still be Leftherian, even if he's not black, because his part of the bloodline left Leftheria and came back. That's how genetics work. I'm partially black but you wouldn't know that unless you saw a picture or video my grandfather.

By the time the game's events roll around, everyone in Leftheria is distantly related to Addam and chances are some people in other parts of Alrest would be too (including Rex). Leftheria would just have the biggest concentration of Addam's bloodline hence Jin and co hiring an exclusively Leftherian crew at the start of the game. If Rex couldn't open the lock, there were like 15 other people there that could.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Well like I said, a lot can happen in 500 years. You know how everyone in Europe is pretty much descended from Charlemagne? A similar deal is likely at play here. Also, if we assume two scenarios:

A. Addam's children married Leftherian natives over time

B. Addam's wife died when Torna sank and Addam later remarried a Leftherian native

Rex would still be Leftherian, even if he's not black, because his part of the bloodline left Leftheria and came back. That's how genetics work. I'm partially black but you wouldn't know that unless you saw a picture or video my grandfather.

By the time the game's events roll around, everyone in Leftheria is distantly related to Addam and chances are some people in other parts of Alrest would be too (including Rex). Leftheria would just have the biggest concentration of Addam's bloodline hence Jin and co hiring an exclusively Leftherian crew at the start of the game. If Rex couldn't open the lock, there were like 15 other people there that could.

It'd also make everyone from whereever Rex's family game from Leftherian which at that point you're looking at a decent chunk of the entire population of the world. And Jin and co really should have questioned Rex's Leftherian claim on a racial level, assuming they have any idea what a typical Leftherian looks like (which I deem likely given they've been around this past 500 years). The end point is that even taking a split legacy into the plot, that influences literally nothing. Rex just straight up should have been black. Or at least his entire home town shouldn't have been. The whole shipwrecked foreigner orphan thing contributes nothings and causes more questions than it answers.

Edited by Jotari

From Conquest:

Camilla. I will not defend her character or her design, but people criticise whatever she does, whatever she does not do, and whatever it is that she represents. She is irrelevant to me, mechanically and as a character, but the lengths that people go to attack and to defend her amazes me.

Soleil. In particular, in her interactions with Ophelia. Either everyone loves hyperbole or no one has the slightest idea what a "sexual predator" or a "rapist" is.
Again, I do not care about her, as a unit or as a character, but it puzzles me the countless negative things that are said about her.

Oh boy.

That'd have to be Xander from Conquest for me. Definitely. People complain about how much of a coward he apparently is, but I genuinely think so many of them don't understand the position he's in. He's not a coward, he's a victim of abuse. His father is a man who wouldn't hesitate to kill his own children should they directly disobey. He doesn't want to admit his father may very well be gone; he's in denial. He thinks that if he and his siblings were to do as his father says, if Nohr wins the war, then he will go back to the stern yet loving father he once was. Which,  I honestly don't think is such a far-fetched belief.

Like, look. Maybe I'm being biased af since he's one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. Sure. But it always rubs me the wrong way when people just boil him down to being an "idiot" or a "spineless coward".

3 hours ago, spiderbrush said:

Oh boy.

That'd have to be Xander from Conquest for me. Definitely. People complain about how much of a coward he apparently is, but I genuinely think so many of them don't understand the position he's in. He's not a coward, he's a victim of abuse. His father is a man who wouldn't hesitate to kill his own children should they directly disobey. He doesn't want to admit his father may very well be gone; he's in denial. He thinks that if he and his siblings were to do as his father says, if Nohr wins the war, then he will go back to the stern yet loving father he once was. Which,  I honestly don't think is such a far-fetched belief.

Like, look. Maybe I'm being biased af since he's one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. Sure. But it always rubs me the wrong way when people just boil him down to being an "idiot" or a "spineless coward".

Honestly I find that him being a coward is kinda the point of his character. For all intents and purposes, Xander is a hypocrite for as much as he prattles on about justice and the strength needed to lead a nation he’s actually very weak willed as shown throughout the course of the story. In birthright, his cowardice in refusing to admit what’s wrong gets him and his sister killed by his own hand no less. Honestly never really quite understood the whole “two Xanders” criticism as his supports are pretty consistent with his actions in the story at least in the way that he’s intentionally being written as hypocritical.

13 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Honestly I find that him being a coward is kinda the point of his character. For all intents and purposes, Xander is a hypocrite for as much as he prattles on about justice and the strength needed to lead a nation he’s actually very weak willed as shown throughout the course of the story. In birthright, his cowardice in refusing to admit what’s wrong gets him and his sister killed by his own hand no less. Honestly never really quite understood the whole “two Xanders” criticism as his supports are pretty consistent with his actions in the story at least in the way that he’s intentionally being written as hypocritical.

Not to mention that the whole "two Xanders" thing is a result of localization making changes to his character, both inside of supports and out; he never said he's "wise enough to stand up to his father" in the Japanese version of his support with Corrin, nor did he make the heavy implication that he'd personally harm Corrin himself should what they said about Garon turned out to be a lie. For as much criticism and backlash the localization gets, I find it strange how people are unaware that Xander was heavily affected by it, as well.

8 minutes ago, tacticianwhite said:

Not to mention that the whole "two Xanders" thing is a result of localization making changes to his character, both inside of supports and out; he never said he's "wise enough to stand up to his father" in the Japanese version of his support with Corrin, nor did he make the heavy implication that he'd personally harm Corrin himself should what they said about Garon turned out to be a lie. For as much criticism and backlash the localization gets, I find it strange how people are unaware that Xander was heavily affected by it, as well.

Really? Do you have a source? I’d like to read a translation of the original script if you don’t mind me asking

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Really? Do you have a source? I’d like to read a translation of the original script if you don’t mind me asking

https://pastebin.com/xvDXm5eV Here is their Support from when people were translating the Japanese supports. The A Support is where Xander said he is now able to stand up to his father, but such a line is not present here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_rHbDXcSE At about 1:40 is Xander's dialogue. Now what he says even here may still be described as a threat, but I feel like it doesn't come off quite as...explicit? But sure, maybe it's my bias talking there.

There used to be a really good tumblr post detailing just how much Xander was changed, but unfortunately it no longer exists.

2 minutes ago, tacticianwhite said:

https://pastebin.com/xvDXm5eV Here is their Support from when people were translating the Japanese supports. The A Support is where Xander said he is now able to stand up to his father, but such a line is not present here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_rHbDXcSE At about 1:40 is Xander's dialogue. Now what he says even here may still be described as a threat, but I feel like it doesn't come off quite as...explicit? But sure, maybe it's my bias talking there.

There used to be a really good tumblr post detailing just how much Xander was changed, but unfortunately it no longer exists.

Interesting well treehouse at it again with their bullshit I suppose

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Interesting well treehouse at it again with their bullshit I suppose

I mean I'm personally so-so on Fates' localization; Treehouse certainly did change a lot, much more than necessary. Some changes I actually was in favor of, but what they did to the likes of Rhajat and definitely Xander are changes I am most certainly not a fan of.

17 hours ago, tacticianwhite said:

Like with so many things that don't work with Fates I think Garon is the one to blame here. He's so over the top that being devoted to him is inherently foolish. There is nothing that Garon ever said or did in the game that could make Xander believe there is any good in him. Any justification for his actions and any faith that there is still hope for Garon immediately go out of the window whenever Garon opens his mouth. Xander's misguided loyalty could have worked if Garon deliberately tried fostering this belief in Xander but he never does. Garon never tries convincing anyone that he's not 100% pure evil. All Garon talks about in Fates is about killing people who oppose or even mildly annoy him so its frustrating that Xander is just unable to see Garon for what he is. Even familial love needs to have some limit on it.  All that was needed for Xander's character to work was a Garon that at least pretended not to be completely insane. 

But overall I find Xander a good pick. His daddy issues are frustrating but its still typical Camus stuff. Garon is very over the top about it but he's not inherently different from all the other unworthy lords that the various Camus' insist on serving. Garon is terrible but is Ludwik who tries to help an evil dragon overthrow humanity and who sells off his children just because he's scared really any better? Is Garon really any more blatantly evil than Chagaal who starts a civil war and tries to murder both his Camus and his Camus' sister purely because he finds it hilarious? The lords that employs the Camus are often so cartoonishly evil that the whole archetype is a little bit silly. Xander being in denial about Garon of all people is perhaps a more noticeable form of this flaw but its ultimately the same flaw that more popular members of his archetype get a lot less flack for.