Who's a video game character you feel is overhated?

Perkilator

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Like with so many things that don't work with Fates I think Garon is the one to blame here. He's so over the top that being devoted to him is inherently foolish. There is nothing that Garon ever said or did in the game that could make Xander believe there is any good in him. Any justification for his actions and any faith that there is still hope for Garon immediately go out of the window whenever Garon opens his mouth. Xander's misguided loyalty could have worked if Garon deliberately tried fostering this belief in Xander but he never does. Garon never tries convincing anyone that he's not 100% pure evil. All Garon talks about in Fates is about killing people who oppose or even mildly annoy him so its frustrating that Xander is just unable to see Garon for what he is. Even familial love needs to have some limit on it.  All that was needed for Xander's character to work was a Garon that at least pretended not to be completely insane. 

But overall I find Xander a good pick. His daddy issues are frustrating but its still typical Camus stuff. Garon is very over the top about it but he's not inherently different from all the other unworthy lords that the various Camus' insist on serving. Garon is terrible but is Ludwik who tries to help an evil dragon overthrow humanity and who sells off his children just because he's scared really any better? Is Garon really any more blatantly evil than Chagaal who starts a civil war and tries to murder both his Camus and his Camus' sister purely because he finds it hilarious? The lords that employs the Camus are often so cartoonishly evil that the whole archetype is a little bit silly. Xander being in denial about Garon of all people is perhaps a more noticeable form of this flaw but its ultimately the same flaw that more popular members of his archetype get a lot less flack for. 

I don’t think it’s so much that Xander believes that his father isn’t evil. He is fully aware of how terrible Garon is but he refuses to acknowledge it because he’s in denial. The power of trust through blood ties(especially in Japan) is a very powerful thing even if it may be based on some kind of falsehood. In that way I think it makes enough sense.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Like with so many things that don't work with Fates I think Garon is the one to blame here. He's so over the top that being devoted to him is inherently foolish. There is nothing that Garon ever said or did in the game that could make Xander believe there is any good in him. Any justification for his actions and any faith that there is still hope for Garon immediately go out of the window whenever Garon opens his mouth. Xander's misguided loyalty could have worked if Garon deliberately tried fostering this belief in Xander but he never does. Garon never tries convincing anyone that he's not 100% pure evil. All Garon talks about in Fates is about killing people who oppose or even mildly annoy him so its frustrating that Xander is just unable to see Garon for what he is. Even familial love needs to have some limit on it.  All that was needed for Xander's character to work was a Garon that at least pretended not to be completely insane. 

But overall I find Xander a good pick. His daddy issues are frustrating but its still typical Camus stuff. Garon is very over the top about it but he's not inherently different from all the other unworthy lords that the various Camus' insist on serving. Garon is terrible but is Ludwik who tries to help an evil dragon overthrow humanity and who sells off his children just because he's scared really any better? Is Garon really any more blatantly evil than Chagaal who starts a civil war and tries to murder both his Camus and his Camus' sister purely because he finds it hilarious? The lords that employs the Camus are often so cartoonishly evil that the whole archetype is a little bit silly. Xander being in denial about Garon of all people is perhaps a more noticeable form of this flaw but its ultimately the same flaw that more popular members of his archetype get a lot less flack for. 

You know, I have to agree with you. I think Garon is the one more at fault than Xander is. The former is just so stupidly, blatantly evil. If only Garon was written better, I would like to think the backlash against Xander would not have been so great. Garon is just too...over the top?

I don’t think it’s so much that Xander believes that his father isn’t evil. He is fully aware of how terrible Garon is but he refuses to acknowledge it because he’s in denial. The power of trust through blood ties(especially in Japan) is a very powerful thing even if it may be based on some kind of falsehood. In that way I think it makes enough sense.

That being said I definitely agree with what Ottservia said here, as well. This is why I think Xander isn't stupid or cowardly as many other people claim.

Edited by tacticianwhite

• 3 weeks later...

For Fire Emblem Characters, I feel like Leonie is rather overhated, as the stuff people bring up are her supports with Byleth and to a lesser extent, Marianne. Admittedly, her C and B supports with Byleth show her at her worst. Outside of her C and B supports with Byleth, I find her tomboyish personality rather charming and a neat foil to characters like Hilda. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 6:49 AM, Yexin said:

yes, it is indeed supposed to be awkward

well that scene happens later on in the game, but yeah, Tidus takes most of the party's circumstances quite lightly because he doesn't know what Yuna and the others feel, mostly because they don't tell him much to begin with

god i still fail to understand what's so hateful about him #Tidus4Smash

Never had any problems with that laigh scene either. If anything, I actually found it appropriately heartbreaking from the very first time I watched this.

...Of course, that doesn't stop me from loving how Lann lampoons the laugh in WOFF either.

Onto the main answer:
As much as Naoto Shirogane from Persona 4 is my least favorite character from the game (and possibly from the 3-4 duology), even I think she's overhated from the accusations of transphobia, which ultimately had nothing to do with Naoto's identity. Granted, they should have written her Social Link to be more about the sexism she (and her late detective mother) would face throughout the story like Mitsuru's SL in P3 or at least part of what I heard about Sae's character arc in P5 - and remove as many traces of ambiguity of her gender identity, instead of a Amazing Race-like quiz across town. (Here's my take on how I would do it (Reddit).)

Edited by henrymidfields

Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs.

People say he's boring, something I heavily disagree with. He may not be very emotive, but his actions tell a different story.

Still, Watch Dogs starts off somber and never changes its tone, so it's fine if that's not your cup of tea.

12 hours ago, Slyfox said:

Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs.

People say he's boring, something I heavily disagree with. He may not be very emotive, but his actions tell a different story.

Still, Watch Dogs starts off somber and never changes its tone, so it's fine if that's not your cup of tea.

I think mister Pearce rubbed people the wrong way from the start because he's yet another Ubisoft protagonist who wants revenge for the death of a loved one. Its kinda the company's default motivation for any protagonist.