What popular or critically acclaimed games do you dislike?

twilit

Super Mario Odyssey. I just... could never get into this. In the game’s defence I’m not really a platforming type of person, and the only platformer I’ve finished from beginning to end is Super Mario Galaxy 2. By the praise the game got from reviews and from friends, I figured I’d enjoy Odyssey as much as that at least, and I’d get through it. But the gameplay just never clicked with me, and I dropped it after... the snow world? I honestly can’t remember. So now my copy just sits there gathering dust.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would't go so far to say I disliked Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I did drop it out of annoyance. Its probably the highest rank game that I did't like all that much. The game making changing characters both annoying and counterproductive was something that kept bugging me and the game as a whole was kinda bad at explaining itself. Loads of tutorials, but I always felt behind.

FE7- With FE7, I will be short. The first playthrough has forced Lyn mode, which would bore any newcomer. All of the good character development is locked behind Hector mode, and the story sucks a lot. (And the map design ain't amazing either...) I feel like a lot of the praise it does get comes from nostalgia. (which is a valid reason to like a game-I'll admit that Sacred Stones will always be special to me from being my first FE game, even if RD was better, I'm just saying that FE7 doesn't earn much of the praise it gets.)

(Note, I'm not excluding FE6 because I like it but because everyone else hates it.)

Twilight Princess-Not a terrible game by any means, but how was this the top selling game in the franchise until BotW? The gameplay was super easy at all times except for the back half of the cave of ordeals, the temples weren't very good overall, (There were a few great ones) and Link isn't interesting in this one; Midna is its saving grace in my opinion.

FE4-Divisive one, but I do think that it is a largely OVERHYPED game, not a bad one. It's not for everyone and that's fine, but before I played it, I got the impression that every other game was infinitely inferior to FE4 and that it's Kaga's perfect game. As a narrative, it's good, but the gameplay is... Overall pretty awful in my opinion. Some people will love it, but if you're not a fan of the huge maps, you may want to watch someone else play it. (AND ARDEN IS BEST WAIFU FITE ME)

Jugdral Fire Emblem: This is an FE forum so let's start with these. These games are probably the most unfun out of the whole series. FE4 has terrible gameplay elements that plauge the experience and FE5 is takes that and turns it up to 11.

Final Fantasy 7: I wouldn't say I dislike this one, I actually did like what I played but it's Holy Grail status is massively overblown. I took a break at Gold Saucer and felt no need to go back. 

Tales of the Abyss: combat is so.....strange to me. From what I can tell, Tales games did this whole 3D fighter but on a 2D plane (or is it the other way around) thing and I just wish they'd pick one or the other. Appearently it took until Tales of Zestiria to fully embrace being a 3D ARPG.

Kingdom Hearts: Honestly has the messiest writing i've seen in any video game franchise.

6 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Loads of tutorials, but I always felt behind.

Wait, Xenoblade X had tutorials?

Edited by Armagon

Fire Emblem: I love Three Houses, but I agree that it isn't the most visually stunning.

I recently played and finished Blazing Blade, and I didn't love it. The gameplay was fine, but the story was kinda bad. Really liked the characters, though. Though, I WILL say this: Lyn's story actually had a much better story than Hector or Eliwood mode, it made sense and had a nice little cast of characters. It's a shame it was only used as a tutorial and the game resorted to the whole "Oh no, evil dragons" plotline that most games do. 

Pokemon: Yeah, I don't usually play Pokemon (The last one I played was Platinum, I think) , but I bought Shield for my switch recently since people seemed to like it. I didn't like it all that much. The gameplay was nice enough, but I could never really get into it. I get that the story is never really important in Pokemon, but boy, the story was bad. I didn't hate it, but it was only meh for me. 

11 minutes ago, CustardPudding said:

Pokemon: Yeah, I don't usually play Pokemon (The last one I played was Platinum, I think) , but I bought Shield for my switch recently since people seemed to like it. I didn't like it all that much. The gameplay was nice enough, but I could never really get into it. I get that the story is never really important in Pokemon, but boy, the story was bad. I didn't hate it, but it was only meh for me. 

According to the critic reviews, yes, because Pokemon's enormous brand name prevents it from getting bad scores. But it's been very divisive in the Poke fanbase.

42 minutes ago, Benice said:

(And the map design ain't amazing either...)

No FE does really. Not a single one. All of them get by on averageness on the whole, with at most scattered moments of greatness. And that usually works out. FE map design still on the whole outdoes say Final Fantasy Tactics-styled SRPGs a lot of the time to me, where map design doesn't truly exist. 

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

From what I can tell, Tales games did this whole 3D fighter but on a 2D plane (or is it the other way around)

It's semantics, but I'd say its 2D Fighter on a 3D Plane. The franchise as you're aware started as pure 2D with Phantasia, where it remained for Destiny, Eternia, Destiny 2. Even after Symphonia brought the franchise into a 3D battle arena, Rebirth and Legendia briefly continued in the pure 2D style. Abyss set the course of the franchise to 3D for the rest of its existence so far.

Now, mind you the last 3D Fighting Game I played was Soulcalibur 2 on the GameCube. But aren't at least some 3D fighting games "3D arenas, yet the two combatants are bound to each other by an invisible chain" that in practice makes it 2D-ish? Is it fair to fault Tales for being like one then? -But your criticism "Tales is weird, it tries to be 3D but is really 2D" is still perfectly reasonable.

Tales being stuck in 2D for some isn't a terrible surprise, the transition from 2D to 3D hasn't been easy for all franchises. Mario (at least initially) and Samus had to reinvent themselves. Castlevania never got a good 3D footing, Sonic has continually struggled with it in spite of some successes, and Kirby never dared to leave 2D at all.

2 hours ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

This summarizes well what I think about the story of the game...well, not exactly about the bullies being dead, I guess.

While overall I think it's ''okay'' enough, the game will drag it into more chores 'cause it gotta have Story Missions like a normal game and that means combat.

Reading it online made me appreciate it way more.

Oh, I just mentioned it because I thought it was realistic. Alot of people that are bullied feel that way, and I thought it was an interesting way to put it in game. I.E the bullies are in ivalice as zombies, A.K.A dead. That's just something I took from that game that I liked.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But aren't at least some 3D fighting games "3D arenas, yet the two combatants are bound to each other by an invisible chain" that in practice makes it 2D-ish? Is it fair to fault Tales for being like one then?

That's a good question but the difference between 3D fighters and Tales is that in 3D fighters, there will only ever be two characters on the screen at once: you and the opponent. Whereas in Tales, you have a whole party fighting multiple enemies at once and that would've flowed a lot better if it fully embraced the 3D ARPG aspect.

Basically, the flow of 3D fighters is a lot better than the flow of Tales combat imo.

Speaking of Fire Emblem: Neither FE4 nor FE5 appealed to me in the slightest. FE4 for being way too boring (almost fell asleep halfway through the first map and quite the game right then and there) and FE5 for just being annoying. Story wasn't anything too amazing in either game, either.

Both games are also not very visually striking. The artstyle for 5 is slightly better, but character portraits in 4 just look... off, to say it as diplomatically as possible. The music is kind of forgettable, too, though it's not FE6 levels of annoying, thankfully.

Speaking of which: I finished it, but I didn't enjoy FE6 whatsoever, either. Though I will say Idoun is one of the better antagonists in FE as a whole.
Especially that standard player phase map theme got old after the second time and grated on my nerves when it still played about 18 chapters later (at which point I just turned the volume down and just put on my own music).

The Kingdom Hearts Series 

This series is a mess, and not in a fun way. Honestly, at this point I feel like the producers behind it can just release a small video of two characters from that series talking about the weather, and it's fans will still lose their mind and act like that's something crazy and worth losing your mind over. I think my biggest problem with this series is that most of the characters are just uninteresting, or at least in my opinion. You would think a cast of characters from a game which such a crazy and messy story would have more depth to them....but they really don't. Truly the only reason I believe this series is even still going and is so popular is becasue people are SO obsessed with Disney and Final fantasy.

As for me it's rather game series.

None of the played Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy games (technically each Square Enix JRPG) could appeal me. The gameplay feels from the stone age.

Also big no to random encounters! That's also why I don't play the old Tales of games despite I like this series.

Speaking of Tales, Tales of Symphonia would be probably the best example for the list because I don't like the 2.5 D battle gameplay at all. Furthemore the design of the characters feels too cartoonish for me.

Persona 4 would be another example (for liking SMT) because I dislike the majority of the character cast. Technically the characters I like the most are non playable (Adachi, Nanako and her dad). Naoto was the only interesting character for me personalitywise. Furthermore I find most battles extremely tedious. Final boss was just terrible (screw the music theme) and the requirements to have access to the final dungeon were a mess.

Edited by Falcom Knight

5 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

Persona 4 would be another example (for liking SMT) because I dislike the majority of the character cast. Technically the characters I like the most are non playable (Adachi, Nanako and her dad). Naoto was the only interesting character for me personalitywise. Furthermore I find most battles extremely tedious. Final boss was just terrible (screw the music theme) and the requirements to have access to the final dungeon were a mess.

I didn't even make it to the final dungeon. XD
If I may ask out of curiosity, what did you need to do to reach it that was so messy?

Tales of Vesperia

The story never goes anywhere. It just starts and stops plot threads whenever it feels like it without providing any sort of closure. Doesn't exactly help that all the characters except for Estellise and Repede are obnoxious at best. It's the kind of game that mistakes random wackiness with humor and acts of cruelty as signs of friendship.

As for the gameplay, what gameplay? It's a JRPG. It's just repetitive busywork occasionally interrupted by story. So if the story is bad and the characters are insufferable, it's not gonna be a good game.
Though I always had the feeling that the Tales series likes to recycle assets more then it's competition, and I think Vesperia might even be a tad worse then the rest of the series. Like, the Definitive Edition added a whole dungeon that is just 30 identical floors, with each floor being a maze of identical rooms. They just change up the lighting a little every 10 floors.
Either way, Tales of Vesperia has definitely more moments where I just got feed up with it then any other JRPG I played. Like, there is also the Repede pissing quest. Would take a while to talk about that one.

Edited by BrightBow

Dragon Age: Inquisition. 

When I bought it it was buggy; some bugs were fine, like how my character throughout the entire game jumped, did a landing animation in the air, then did the landing animation again when he, you know, landed. Others were threatening to be gamebreaking, like unskippable dialogue not loading correctly, causing a kind of softlock. Thankfully after a few reboots I could get past it, but my word did that bother me.

Then, the story bites off far more than it can chew and does most of its arcs half-assedly. Bioware has a bit of a problem with you solving problems/uncovering mysteries that have been around for potentially hundreds of years in an afternoon, but the real offender was the main antagonist. The guy is a boring, bland, moustache-twirling villain who, despite an interesting backstory, does nothing unique or interesting. After you foil his plans at every turn, he alone rushes to your base of power and gets himself killed while whining that a magical artifact he had been using runs out of juice. 

Inquisition has some things going for it, like a few good characters like Solas, but it tried telling so many different stories at once that I struggle to remember much of the game at all. I mostly remember button mashing my way through an ocean of mass produced, MMO-like quests.

Very few. If there's a critically acclaimed game I'm not interested in it usually has to do more with it just not being for me. I don't care about The Last of Us or Dragon Quest for instance but I'd never say they aren't good or interested in their own right. The games I do dislike tend to have such noticeable flaws that they generally don't get any acclaim. 

Games I have a dislike towards are Fable 3, Mass Effect 3 and Sticker Star which are hardly controversial opinions. 

2 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Giving the right answer to like a half dozen of questions.

I used a guide for it.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh boy...

The story is a Murder Mystery, so what did you expect? ;):

(I'll agree that the first part of the "riddle" is pretty obscure, but the second part can be figured out even if you didn't recognize the true murderer beforehand, like stupid ol' me)

(not trying to convince you that P4 is ACTUALLY perfect, I agree that it's definitely a flawed game and fully understand that they outweigh the good aspects for some players.)

Aright

Fire Emblem 6 I tried getting into it a few times its not happening. The map design is just too long for no damn reason. Like why? 

Xenoblade 2 I can make a bible long book on how EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME DOSE NOT WORK. The only good thing i can say about it is it doesn't ruin Xenoblade 1. 

The only popular game I can say I actively disliked was Double Dragon, and even then I can see why people love it. I'm just not that good at beat' em ups, and didn't know the tricks to approach enemies without them getting the first hit in. It is the game I've been the most frustrated with, though, and I have to actively restrain from judo tossing the arcade machine whenever I give it a try.

Otherwise, I can't say there are many other popular games that I didn't enjoy playing. Majora's Mask 3D and the Mega Man X games come close, and even then I far from hate those games; they just didn't click with me as I expected they would. The time elements of the former are pretty cool and are utilized extremely well, but having to redo progress all the time added up pretty quickly, and was especially frustrating when I discovered how to proceed in certain side quests or dungeons via trial and error, meaning I'd likely have to repeat steps later on. As for Mega Man X, I think that's more due to how I haven't played a platformed  in a long time and am probably out of practice. Doesn't help that the game requires frequent dodging, which I was never really good at doing in 2D games in the first place. I aim at giving these both these titles another shot someday, maybe when I finish the dozen or so I'm currently playing.

6 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Tales of Vesperia

The story never goes anywhere. It just starts and stops plot threads whenever it feels like it without providing any sort of closure. Doesn't exactly help that all the characters except for Estellise and Repede are obnoxious at best. It's the kind of game that mistakes random wackiness with humor and acts of cruelty as signs of friendship.

Bolded: "Yuri, we should rest at an inn." Every few scenes, you see this, it's humerous at times. Goes a few steps, "oh, wait, we should rest at the inn and prepare"... again.

7 hours ago, ping said:

(I'll agree that the first part of the "riddle" is pretty obscure, but the second part can be figured out even if you didn't recognize the true murderer beforehand, like stupid ol' me)

(not trying to convince you that P4 is ACTUALLY perfect, I agree that it's definitely a flawed game and fully understand that they outweigh the good aspects for some players.)

I didn't know that Persona 4 is suppossed to be a playing detective game.

I mean figuring out the culprit was very easy which was not part of getting access to the final dungeon though.

The relevant questions for the final dungeon weren't obvious to answer at all for me at least.

7 hours ago, ping said:

Yeah a really shitty murder mystery but it was never trying to be that in the first place. I still love that game though