Is it possible to have an armored mage in GBA FE?

Samz707

Probably won't start actually using the FE builder for a while but I was curious if it was possible to build a armored mage character who uses magic? Like that one CIPHER card with Valjean in his heavy armor with a tome, is it possible to have a unit using both say, Tomes and Lances/swords? or are the strength/magic stats completely unable to switch in GBA? (Since they're in the same spots in level up/use the same stat booster items.)

I know it's probably impossible but I'm wondering.

Edited by Samz707

Yep. Really easy to add one, in fact! As long as you can find animations for it, it will work.

Edited by Benice

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yep. Really easy to add one, in fact! As long as you can find animations for it, it will work.

I did try to look this up earlier and I did see mentions of needing a patch on another site, is that for another modding thing unlike FE builder or is the patch just part of FE builder nowadays?

So how do the stats work? does the game actually track magic/strength seperately or do they just share the same value?

Edited by Samz707

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

I did try to look this up earlier and I did see mentions of needing a patch? is that for another modding thing unlike FE builder or is the patch just part of FE builder nowadays?

So how do the stats work? does the game actually track magic/strength seperately or do they just share the same value?

Yep, there is a patch that applies a str/mag split-it's part of the skills patch, actually. You can add the patch to the ROM through either the patch menu in FEbuilder or from the skill configuration menu. FEbuilder adds it to the ROM and you're done!

And yep, Str/Mag are seperate stats.

24 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yep, there is a patch that applies a str/mag split-it's part of the skills patch, actually. You can add the patch to the ROM through either the patch menu in FEbuilder or from the skill configuration menu. FEbuilder adds it to the ROM and you're done!

And yep, Str/Mag are seperate stats.

Cool, I guess as one more question because I forgot to put it on the post, can full on dragons (Such as the final boss of FE7) be made playable with no issues?

Me and a friend are just discussing about ideas for an Hack where you get a water dragon. (and if possible, it's water breath attack causes it to start raining, slowing movement temporarily like the rain in Fe7.)

Edited by Samz707

5 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Cool, I guess as one more question because I forgot to put it on the post, can full on dragons (Such as the final boss of FE7) be made playable with no issues?

Me and a friend are just discussing about ideas for an Hack where you get a water dragon. (and if possible, it's water breath attack causes it to start raining, slowing movement temporarily like the rain in Fe7.)

Hmm... Not too sure about dragons, actually. I know that the class is present in FE7 and that you could reasonably use it, but I haven't tried.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:06 PM, Samz707 said:

Yes, but it is trickier to set it up. You will need to install the "Battle Transforming Editor" patch from FEBuilder's patches section.

KfapNnm.png

These special classes that use transformations each require 4 animation slots. This is done in order to circunvent the limitation of 16 palettes per animation. The battle starts with its "transform finished animation", which is just the background. Then it switches to "base animation", which is the unit's appearance. In the dragon's case, its tail moves around and then the dragon drops down to the battlefield. Next is the "transformed animation", which is the animations for combat per se, such as the dragon attacking and dodging. Finally, "transform back animation" is the transition between the combat animations and the first animation, which closes the cycle. You also need to set the transformation sounds between each animation, otherwise the music will be muted. Also keep in mind that playable units have a limit of 60 HP. If you want to increase that, you will also need to use "Playable character HP limit" patch.

pmKVUYF.png

On 6/24/2020 at 8:06 PM, Samz707 said:

(and if possible, it's water breath attack causes it to start raining, slowing movement temporarily like the rain in Fe7.)

Not sure if this is possible, I'm not very experienced with eventing.