Music Interpretation Club!

indigoasis

Hello, yes, welcome! I had the idea to make a thread dedicated to interpreting music and the meanings of songs, and thought that it would be a fun way to see how people analyze different types of music and genres and songs and what-have-you. (This is also lowkey General Music Thread #3, but shhhhhh).

A huge reason why I wanted to start this thread was because I had found a song called Chemicals by Rosemary Fairweather, and after listening to it more than a few times (I tend to listen to one song on repeat for hours, even days on end) and looking at the lyrics, I was thinking about what the song was trying to say. If I have this right, I think it's about addiction and trying to overcome it while at the same time trying to keep hidden the fact that the singer had an addiction in the first place. The title of the song is a fairly big giveaway. The word 'chemicals' can be a very broad term, and could refer to alcohol, drugs, or even dopamine (a chemical that the body produces that often rewards the body for partaking in what it may find pleasurable, like eating chocolate, for example), all of which the body can become addicted to through excessive exposure. As for why I think the singer is trying to overcome it and keep it hidden, the chorus goes...

Spoiler

Chorus

Chemicals, chemicals, chemicals
I can hear you
Let me go, let me go, let me go
Like I need you
I was wrong, I was wrong, I was wrong
But I feel you
Chemicals, chemicals, chemicals
When I see you

She knows what the 'chemicals' are, and is trying to rid it from herself, but at the same time, it will always be there since they've already had their effect on her life. As for keeping it hidden, in the second halves of Verses 1 and 2...

Spoiler

Verse 1 (Second Half)

How do I
Get it back
Oh really
How do I
Find a song to sing it out loud
If you know then I hope that it doesn't show

Verse 2 (Second Half)

How do I
Pull it back
Oh really
How do I
Find a song to sing it out loud
Find a song to sing the words that he doesn't know

...the singer asks how she can find a song to sing that can allow her to open up about her feelings, yet at the same time keeping what she had gone through a secret.

Anyway that's just my analysis of the song! I don't think it's incredibly detailed, but hopefully that should give you a general idea and a decent example of how to interpret a song. I would be very excited to hear what you guys have to share about songs that you've interpreted and analyzed, or maybe even wish to share your thoughts on! Feel free to share whatever song you wish to interpret the meaning of, and your interpretation doesn't need to be as long as mine. Even a simple, "I think this song is about X," is completely fine. I hope this thread provides a fine opportunity for you guys to exercise your analysis skills. (It sure as seashells would help me; college is sorta kicking my butt with online classes.) I may or may not share some other songs that I'd like to take a look at... wait, no... give a listen! I think [Don't Fear] The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult will be next on my list.

Oh, and if you guys want to add to others' analyses, please do so (as long as you are respectful of others' opinions)!

"Rockstar" by Nickelback is a break down of how people want to be rockstars because their life is perceived as glamorous and luxurious, but is in fact empty and destructive despite the constant yearning people have for that position.

• "I wanna trade this life for fortune and fame, I'd even cut my hair and change my name" is about people throwing away their own identity in pursuit of celebrity.
  • "The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap, we'll all stay skinny 'cause we just won't eat" reflects the unhealthy lifestyle of the rockstar.
  • "Every good gold digger's gonna wind up there" is about how the rockstar becomes surrounded with false friends.
  • "I'll get washed-up singers writing all my songs, lip-sync 'em every night so I don't get 'em wrong" shows how the rockstar might not have any talent or real outlet for artistic expression.

The music video even has a guy who is quite obviously a devil figure trying to cut a deal with the would be rocker.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed