June's Legendary Hero Is: Seliph - Scion of Light

daisy jane

Too much overlap with Hrid, seems a waste of a legendary slot. But it's just as well I suppose, the other units on the banner make it close to a write-off, with blue the only colour even having the slightest appeal to me. Undecided on whether to go for one unit and bailing, or just holding onto all my orbs until the next sparkable banner.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm... His sword only works in enemy phase or if he is not at full HP, and his B skill only works in enemy phase... Which means, if you bait him when he is at full HP, he is very easy to take down... He is not a treat at all to find in Arena and AA.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Nice. I used all my orbs for Summer Mia and now I can safely skip this banner.

did you get her?

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

To say something positive about Seliph, at least he's good fodder, so if I happen to somehow free pull him and he has bad IVs, I can give yet another unit DC or something.

honestly, i think Seliph is one of those 
If you like Genealogy you are happy because he's a good unit. 
If you like Seliph in general - you are happy because he seems to be a good unit
if you wanna pul on a Legendary Banner and he's there you're not sad if you get him because he's got DC/tier 4 C skill for arena. 

as far as things go - it could be a lot worse. 

Just now, daisy jane said:

did you get her?

Yup. Although it was really tedious. I used up all my saved orbs and had to keep waiting days until I got to 20 orbs before pulling. After getting pity broken by Caineghis and Surtr, I got her finally while at 4.5%. I also got two 4* Summer Lutes, which I appreciate.

Hm... skip for me, but I can see the appeal of this banner. Just as well, the money I had set aside in case of a good Legendary was already spent getting Mareeta.

Seliph looks... I mean, he looks good, but while he probably does the job better than those already existing he's still a defensive Sword, and if you already have defensive swords then you probably won't be in the most urgent need for Seliph. Plus he's a purely enemy phase unit, so he's not even going to be that hard to counter.

The rest of the banner...

• Red carries Sothis and Mirabilis. Considering we've had nearly a month to get Mirabilis, not the strongest color, but hey all 3 units are still good.
  • Legendary Azura, Peony, and Legendary Chrom habit blue. Two strong dancers and a bulky Blue archer, pretty good. Gonna have to dodge this color myself, considering I +10ed Azura and don't feel the need for Peony (a unit we got for free) or Chrom (a unit I'm okay with not having)
  • Green is the weakest color for me, carrying Legendary Lyn, Yune, and Ced. Ced is a unit I don't have yes, but I +10ed Yune and don't need her SI, while Lyn... just... no.
  • Colorless looks good. Grima still has her uses... I guess... while Duma remains strong, and Eleonora remains a sweeper (I assume, I dunno I never see her).

...yeah, there's certainly appeal to this banner, but if you gave me $50usd and told me to pick a banner to spend on, I wouldn't go for this one.

Pretty nice and nothing crazy, unless they release Vantage as a Sacred Seal. He will be bonkers with that.

I will probably skip too though. I think I will try to free pull VS!Azura.

35 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I'm satisfied. Seliph needed an alt, and his base self was way worse off than Sigurd's.

Seliph and Sigurd fill completely different Enemy Phase roles. Seliph is a LOT better off than Sigurd in my opinion.

Seliph is an extremely strong front line unit for Aether Raids defense, and can be extremely annoying to deal with if the player is not prepared. The only front line unit more annoying to deal with is probably BH!Ike.

Sigurd is not as good on Aether Raids defense, and he is better in player hands than in AI hands in my opinion. Whatever Sigurd can do, Hríd can do much better, especially when factoring in support units. If the player is keeping Crusader's Ward and wants to take advantage of it to its fullest potential, Sigurd basically has to give up Distant Counter and that is a huge deal breaker. Being a wall that cannot kill is bad strategy in general in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Seliph is an extremely strong front line unit for Aether Raids defense, and can be extremely annoying to deal with if the player is not prepared. The only front line unit more annoying to deal with is probably BH!Ike.

The problem is that, unlike Brave Ike, Seliph's niche is next to worthless when under player control.

And unless you spend an inordinate amount of time watching your Aether Raids replays, you're primarily going to be seeing your own units under your own control.

So Seliph is the next legendary. Personally I never really had much of an opinion about him but it is nice that he can finally join Leif and Julia in the alt club plus we have another unit that can provide Distant Counter on legendary banners. Also it is one less obstacle for Marth and Chrom in CYL5. 

For the banner itself I'm just going to hope for a red or blue orb for my free pull. Red orb because I would like Time's Pulse fodder off of Sothis or blue for a chance to get L!Chrom. Not really much else to say.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

Sigurd is not as good on Aether Raids defense, and he is better in player hands than in AI hands in my opinion. Whatever Sigurd can do, Hríd can do much better, especially when factoring in support units. If the player is keeping Crusader's Ward and wants to take advantage of it to its fullest potential, Sigurd basically has to give up Distant Counter and that is a huge deal breaker. Being a wall that cannot kill is bad strategy in general in my opinion.

I think the biggest problem with Sigurd is that he was made SPECIFICALLY to counter the prime units at the time, Reinhardt and Brave Lyn, both of whom are now a LOT weaker in comparison to the existing nonsense now. Meanwhile Sigurd has not changed one bit since his release, with Seliph getting a upgrade to Tyrfing that Sigurd does not have.

So his base weapon is outdated as hell, his Personal skill is useless, and he has no way to set himself apart from the world until he gets a refine, which isn't even guaranteed to fix crap.

I would’ve preferred Seliph next year, so that he had a chance to double dip, but he looks nice. Don’t know what’s with his B skill, if the foe initiates they don’t counterattack.

34 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Don’t know what’s with his B skill, if the foe initiates they don’t counterattack.

It should say "before foe's next attack" instead of "before foe can counterattack".

This means that on enemy phase, the order of combat will be

1. Foe
  2. Seliph
  3. Seliph's follow-up
  4. Foe's follow-up

or if he has a Vantage effect (if we ever get a Sacred Seal or status effect), the order of combat will be

1. Seliph
  2. Seliph's follow-up
  3. Foe
  4. Foe's follow-up

2 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Me: Cool.

Also me: He's a sword cavalier--Now, what's Brave Seliph going to look like?

implying this game will still run long enough for Seliph to win CYL

I would love that though, he could also be a Lance Cav-- oh wait, that's been done. Maybe they could give him light magic since his mama can use it.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The problem is that, unlike Brave Ike, Seliph's niche is next to worthless when under player control.

And unless you spend an inordinate amount of time watching your Aether Raids replays, you're primarily going to be seeing your own units under your own control.

Not every unit/tactic/strategy needs to be good under player control to be considered good. Seliph has a strong niche for Aether Raids defense. Saying Seliph sucks because he sucks under player control is like saying Celica sucks because she sucks under AI control.

Similarly, it does not make sense to judge a unit solely on its Player Phase performance nor Aether Raids performance. It makes no sense to judge BH!Ike as a Player Phase unit. It also does not make sense to build Kronya either just because she is a good Aether Raids unit, as she is really expensive to build and she is pretty crap in any other mode; and with how good defense teams has gotten in the higher Tiers lately, Kronya is not exactly as easy to use as she used to be either. White Wings, Cain, and Abel are not exactly stellar, but they completely trivialize Røkkr Sieges, and in my opinion, they have a much better pay off than Kronya.

Seliph's value does not come from being watched. Seliph's value comes from reducing Lift Loss, which will happen whether you watch replays or not. Ideally, you still want to watch some of the replays to improve and update the defense map as necessary, but Seliph is pretty hands off outside of adjusting setup since the AI is doing the battle.

43 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I think the biggest problem with Sigurd is that he was made SPECIFICALLY to counter the prime units at the time, Reinhardt and Brave Lyn, both of whom are now a LOT weaker in comparison to the existing nonsense now. Meanwhile Sigurd has not changed one bit since his release, with Seliph getting a upgrade to Tyrfing that Sigurd does not have.

So his base weapon is outdated as hell, his Personal skill is useless, and he has no way to set himself apart from the world until he gets a refine, which isn't even guaranteed to fix crap.

Hopefully his Refine gives foes Desperation so it makes sense to use Crusader's Ward. Something similar to BH!Ike would be perfect.

Updated base Weapon:
Grants Res+3. Reduces damage from foe's first attack by 50%. If foe uses magic, staff, or dragonstone, reduces damage from area-of-effect Specials by 100% (excluding Røkkr area-of-effect Specials) and before combat foe initiates, deal damage to target and foes within 3 spaces of target or unit by total damage reduced.

Refine:
If unit receives consecutive attacks and foe's Range = 1, reduces damage from foe's second attack onward by 80%. If foe initiates combat, foe can make a follow-up attack before unit can counterattack.

Compared to BH!Ike, in exchange for Slaying effect and a B slot, Sigurd gets slightly stronger damage mitigation on the first hit as well as a "NO U!" against Blazing nukes that target Res.

Seliph doesn’t look meta defining, nor even impactful. It might make for a fun Cav ball frontline, but that’s about it.

Glad he has an alt though. I am sticking with my regular +10 Seliph though, and that one was built mainly because he and Jeorge were my first ever 5 stars and he could fill a space on my AR Defense team.

Red looks good. Great fodder all round, Good for AR Defense if you’re lacking in lift reduction. Skip for me.

Green is a tease. Yune has value for defense, though you only need two if you have 0 dark mythics. Lyn is the dud. Ced is amazing value in pulse smoke, but that ⅓ chance on green makes it a hard bait. Skip for me, though I will try a green stone if it’s on the first session.

Colourless is the worst, Grima is meh all around. Duma is good for score reduction but he is rather niche on defense and his main use is being a bolt tower. Eleanora is good, but not worth it when sharing here.

Blue is stacked for water core in arena, fodder and having two Peony in AR is so good. I am going for a second peony. It’s the only thing I want before I am going into saving everything for Nailah and Micaiah’s return.

Banner in a nutshell: Red and blue have something for almost everyone. Green is whale smoke territory, those with money can get all the ced’s they need. Otherwise it is not worth it. Colourless is a skip for most probably.

Seliph is worse then Hrid sadly.

Hrids weapon guarantees a follow up attack and prevents follow up attacks, freeing his B-Slot. Getting debuffs on your foes is easy. Which means Hrid can run a Lull skill and ignore enemy buffs. Meanwhile his weapon is active on player or enemy phase

If Seliphs spread is somewhat similar to Hrids, his B-Slot is locked down and it only guarantees a follow up attack on enemy phase.

yeah... Seliph is in my eyes weaker then Hrid currently. Which is kinda surprising for a totally new Legendary hero.

9 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Seliph doesn’t look meta defining, nor even impactful. It might make for a fun Cav ball frontline, but that’s about it.

Glad he has an alt though. I am sticking with my regular +10 Seliph though, and that one was built mainly because he and Jeorge were my first ever 5 stars and he could fill a space on my AR Defense team.

Thats because he is weaker then Hrid. Seliph only gets a guaranteed follow up attack on enemy phase, and thats locked on his B-Slot. Hrid gets a follow up attack regardless of which phase as long as there is a debuff an AND it prevents follow up attacks, his B-Slot is free to run Lull Atk/Def which basicly matches Seliphs sword (with the bonus of ignoring buffs woooo).

If Seliph runs the same stat spread he is weaker then Hrid and worthless pulling for if you have a +10 Hrid (like I do).

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

Not every unit/tactic/strategy needs to be good under player control to be considered good. Seliph has a strong niche for Aether Raids defense. Saying Seliph sucks because he sucks under player control is like saying Celica sucks because she sucks under AI control.

Similarly, it does not make sense to judge a unit solely on its Player Phase performance nor Aether Raids performance. It makes no sense to judge BH!Ike as a Player Phase unit. It also does not make sense to build Kronya either just because she is a good Aether Raids unit, as she is really expensive to build and she is pretty crap in any other mode; and with how good defense teams has gotten in the higher Tiers lately, Kronya is not exactly as easy to use as she used to be either. White Wings, Cain, and Abel are not exactly stellar, but they completely trivialize Røkkr Sieges, and in my opinion, they have a much better pay off than Kronya.

Seliph's value does not come from being watched. Seliph's value comes from reducing Lift Loss, which will happen whether you watch replays or not. Ideally, you still want to watch some of the replays to improve and update the defense map as necessary, but Seliph is pretty hands off outside of adjusting setup since the AI is doing the battle.

Hopefully his Refine gives foes Desperation so it makes sense to use Crusader's Ward. Something similar to BH!Ike would be perfect.

Updated base Weapon:
Grants Res+3. Reduces damage from foe's first attack by 50%. If foe uses magic, staff, or dragonstone, reduces damage from area-of-effect Specials by 100% (excluding Røkkr area-of-effect Specials) and before combat foe initiates, deal damage to target and foes within 3 spaces of target or unit by total damage reduced.

Refine:
If unit receives consecutive attacks and foe's Range = 1, reduces damage from foe's second attack onward by 80%. If foe initiates combat, foe can make a follow-up attack before unit can counterattack.

Compared to BH!Ike, in exchange for Slaying effect and a B slot, Sigurd gets slightly stronger damage mitigation on the first hit as well as a "NO U!" against Blazing nukes that target Res.

Seliph has really fallen off on AR defense. Bolt towers now force him to ditch his QR seal and force an HP seal on him. He also requires max invested catapult and a Duma or two to secure his HP to remain above 50%. He was amazing because it was so hard to get him under 50%, now that Bolt towers can do 35 dmg, you need multiple mythics and an HP seal to not make him useless. And that kind of investment to make one unit relevant again is a detriment for the rest of the team. He’s actually better off nowadays on offense with Dc Noontime and two Eir with sparkling boost.

Kronya is still relevant, though there are maps dedicated to counter her type of vantage. She’s still a prime CC vantage unit with many uses. Since most Kronya’s receive Special Spiral she also doubles as a great Blazing nuke on Mjolnir’s Strike, for what it’s worth. Lastly, a combo of her and Duma often trivialises in game content up to even abyssals. Though plenty of units can do that so it’s not a big point in her favour. So even though it isn’t much, she’s a bit more versatile than you gave her credit for. 

I built Kronya myself mainly because she reminded me of Evelynn from League of Legends, who is one of my mains. Though I quickly found out she was a popular choice for many because of Athame.

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

Thats because he is weaker then Hrid. Seliph only gets a guaranteed follow up attack on enemy phase, and thats locked on his B-Slot. Hrid gets a follow up attack regardless of which phase as long as there is a debuff an AND it prevents follow up attacks, his B-Slot is free to run Lull Atk/Def which basicly matches Seliphs sword (with the bonus of ignoring buffs woooo).

If Seliph runs the same stat spread he is weaker then Hrid and worthless pulling for if you have a +10 Hrid (like I do).

And how impactful is Hrid in the current meta.... Yeah, if you’re facing steep competition from a unit that’s already rather irrelevant, you know you’re in a bas spot.

4 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

And how impactful is Hrid in the current meta.... Yeah, if you’re facing steep competition from a unit that’s already rather irrelevant, you know you’re in a bas spot.

I would run Hrid more on AR Offense or Defense, but there are 2 things hindering it: 1. Not matching season, 2. Cav effectiv weapons everyhwere (ok a 3. is Null Follow up Alms)

He was fantastic when AR was released and was basicly the unit that helped me hit Tier 21. Galeforce Hrid is a force. He is still fantastic, but there is Leif now sooo *shrug*

5 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Seliph has really fallen off on AR defense. Bolt towers now force him to ditch his QR seal and force an HP seal on him. He also requires max invested catapult and a Duma or two to secure his HP to remain above 50%. He was amazing because it was so hard to get him under 50%, now that Bolt towers can do 35 dmg, you need multiple mythics and an HP seal to not make him useless. And that kind of investment to make one unit relevant again is a detriment for the rest of the team. He’s actually better off nowadays on offense with Dc Noontime and two Eir with sparkling boost.

Seliph can still reach 71 HP at +10+10 with an HP Asset, stat Refinement, and double Mythics. HP skills are not necessary.

17 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Kronya is still relevant, though there are maps dedicated to counter her type of vantage. She’s still a prime CC vantage unit with many uses. Since most Kronya’s receive Special Spiral she also doubles as a great Blazing nuke on Mjolnir’s Strike, for what it’s worth. Lastly, a combo of her and Duma often trivialises in game content up to even abyssals. Though plenty of units can do that so it’s not a big point in her favour. So even though it isn’t much, she’s a bit more versatile than you gave her credit for. 

I built Kronya myself mainly because she reminded me of Evelynn from League of Legends, who is one of my mains. Though I quickly found out she was a popular choice for many because of Athame.

Kronya is still relevant, but I find her to be a lot more difficult to use in the latter part of the week compared to before. She is usually still pretty brain dead easy to use for the first few days, but as defense teams get better later on in the week, it makes her far less reliable, especially when the defense team uses a combination of Healing Tower (D) and a staff unit. I have seen one map with both and a Duo's Hinderance on top to really shut down any funny business with AMH!Hectors and BB!Micaiahs who are trying to support Kronya.

Against the latest Abyssals, I do not think Kronya is relevant for a lot of them due to the presence of reinforcements coming from all sides over multiple turns.

super super happy seliph finally got an alt, about damn time

sadly, this happened a few days too late for my patience, as i uninstalled the game last week

Senza titolo 222_20200629090323.png

IT'S THE HEIR OF LIGHT'S TIME TO SHINE!

He is of course a sword cav, while also an earth pair-up, with Virtuous Tyrfing (Res +3, If enemy initiates/unit HP < 100% at start, inflicts Atk/Def -6 during combat and if unit attacks enemy during combat, restores 7 HP to unit.), Ignis, DC, Holy War's End (If unit HP is >49% and foe initiates, unit gets a second attack before foe can counterattack (SO HE GETS BRAVE ON EP) and Joint Hone Def. Nothing much to say but he looks to be slow and EP. I dunno, Divine Tyrfing is good still, even his base form's refine. Virtuous Tyrfing mightn't be all that good, though +14 HP each time he fights is something.

As for the other colours, Red has Sothis and Mirabilis, Blue has L!Azura, Peony and L!Chrom, Green has Yune, L!Lyn and Ced and Colourless has F!Grima, Duma and Eleanora. Not gonna lie, my orbs might be safe, I'd rather not pull for Azura when she's sharing with two I have, Colourless has two I have and a TMS unit, Green has Ced and Yune, but L!Lyn is a buzzkill and Seliph is the only new unit in Red for me, but as it stands it's like Red > Green > Blue > Colourless, but it's a low vibe and depending on the future banners might be even a skip.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I didn't say he sucked. I said he had a problem.

That problem is that he has a very small niche, and that niche is also exclusive to a "set and forget" mode where you won't be controlling him as a unit.

Additionally, being useful under player control and being useful under AI control is not at all a symmetric comparison. It is far more impactful to a player when a unit is good under player control because that's how players will be interacting with their units most of the time, and that's before even considering that there are only 2 game modes in the entire game where your units are under enemy control.

Trying to decide if I should free pull on red or blue...Peony and Sothis are both sitting at +5, and I wouldn't mind Seliph, but I'm sketchy on Mirabilis since I have her already. Azura is +3 and I would like Chrom merges...😣 So many possibilities, only one orb! 

Green and Colorless don't have anything to tempt me.