June's Legendary Hero Is: Seliph - Scion of Light

daisy jane

Considering how much people were hyping up Legendary Seliph I didn't expect that many complaints. I am really excited about him and I am glad he is purely an enemy phase cavalier. We don't need any more Galeforce/player phase cavs and we are extremely lacking pure enemy phase ones. He seems like a really good and self sustainable tank with that B slot and that +14 Hp self healing. Also the red pool with Sothis and Fortress Def/Res is really good. Blue is also amazing due to Azura and Peony. I really am tempted, however I will try to resist. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty much exactly what I hoped for in a Legendary Seliph.  But I don't know if I can roll for him, I'm saving for Amelia merges.  I'll do the initial roll and roll any reds there but I won't put much faith into the terrible legendary focus system, otherwise I'll just get burned with characters I only consider as fodder.  Maybe I'll save for him after Amelia and hope for a single copy.  Thankfully I have a +10 normal Seliph to satisfy me until then.

Edited by Sayyyaka

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That problem is that he has a very small niche, and that niche is also exclusive to a "set and forget" mode where you won't be controlling him as a unit.

Additionally, being useful under player control and being useful under AI control is not at all a symmetric comparison. It is far more impactful to a player when a unit is good under player control because that's how players will be interacting with their units most of the time, and that's before even considering that there are only 2 game modes in the entire game where your units are under enemy control.

I do not think being useful in a very small niche is a problem if that very small niche is pretty significant and important, as Aether Raids is our primary source of Grails. I also do not think player control should be given extra weight over AI control. Just because a player does not value AI control does not mean it is not important. It would be no different if I dismissed Enemy Phase units because the only significant mode where I need to use Enemy Phase units is just Aether Raids.

Seliph is still a really hard tank to kill under player control if he only faces one enemy at a time. He might not be able to do multiple rounds of combat in one turn well, but he gives that up in exchange for doing that one round of combat per turn really well.

Naga on the other hand pretty much sucks no matter who is controlling her. Like most of other melee units, she is just horrible in AI hands. Even though she is meant for players' hands, buffing Def and providing dragon effectiveness are not very relevant, and she is competing with Altina who is generally a much more useful unit who can support Counter-Vantage units and is more than capable to get into fights herself. Just because Naga is meant for player control does not make her any more important.

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

Considering how much people were hyping up Legendary Seliph I didn't expect that many complaints. I am really excited about him and I am glad he is purely an enemy phase cavalier. We don't need any more Galeforce/player phase cavs and we are extremely lacking pure enemy phase ones. He seems like a really good and self sustainable tank with that B slot and that +14 Hp self healing. Also the red pool with Sothis and Fortress Def/Res is really good. Blue is also amazing due to Azura and Peony. I really am tempted, however I will try to resist. 

While we do not need anymore Player Phase sword and lance cavalry, it would be nice to have more axe cavalry. I would not mind more lance cavalry either if the lance cavalry comes with some type of Heavy Blade like BH!Roy and Eliwood.

I think the last axe cavalry we got is Walhart, who is not exactly great, even when he was released.

Edited by XRay

24 minutes ago, XRay said:

While we do not need anymore Player Phase sword and lance cavalry, it would be nice to have more axe cavalry.

I am still waiting for Gustav to appear... I was kinda sad that he was not in the fallen banner.

6 hours ago, XRay said:

Not every unit/tactic/strategy needs to be good under player control to be considered good. Seliph has a strong niche for Aether Raids defense. Saying Seliph sucks because he sucks under player control is like saying Celica sucks because she sucks under AI control.

Similarly, it does not make sense to judge a unit solely on its Player Phase performance nor Aether Raids performance. It makes no sense to judge BH!Ike as a Player Phase unit. It also does not make sense to build Kronya either just because she is a good Aether Raids unit, as she is really expensive to build and she is pretty crap in any other mode; and with how good defense teams has gotten in the higher Tiers lately, Kronya is not exactly as easy to use as she used to be either. White Wings, Cain, and Abel are not exactly stellar, but they completely trivialize Røkkr Sieges, and in my opinion, they have a much better pay off than Kronya.

Seliph's value does not come from being watched. Seliph's value comes from reducing Lift Loss, which will happen whether you watch replays or not. Ideally, you still want to watch some of the replays to improve and update the defense map as necessary, but Seliph is pretty hands off outside of adjusting setup since the AI is doing the battle.

Hopefully his Refine gives foes Desperation so it makes sense to use Crusader's Ward. Something similar to BH!Ike would be perfect.

Updated base Weapon:
Grants Res+3. Reduces damage from foe's first attack by 50%. If foe uses magic, staff, or dragonstone, reduces damage from area-of-effect Specials by 100% (excluding Røkkr area-of-effect Specials) and before combat foe initiates, deal damage to target and foes within 3 spaces of target or unit by total damage reduced.

Refine:
If unit receives consecutive attacks and foe's Range = 1, reduces damage from foe's second attack onward by 80%. If foe initiates combat, foe can make a follow-up attack before unit can counterattack.

Compared to BH!Ike, in exchange for Slaying effect and a B slot, Sigurd gets slightly stronger damage mitigation on the first hit as well as a "NO U!" against Blazing nukes that target Res.

I agree about wanting a Desperation effect on Sigurd's weapon, but I don't think it needs to be that close to Urvan. My preference would be for some sort of limited Distant Counter effect, to focus on playing up his use against ranged attackers.

Edit: Maybe something along the lines of:

Base: Grants Res+3. Reduces damage from foe's first attack by 50%. If foe uses bow, dagger, magic, or staff, reduces damage from area-of-effect Specials by 80% (excluding Røkkr area-of-effect Specials).

Refine: If foe uses magic or staff, unit can counterattack regardless of foe's range and if foe initiates combat, foe can make a follow-up attack before unit can counterattack.

Could also have the refine include a tome/staff-specific NCD, for good measure. 

Edited by Othin

FINALLY! MY BOY!

Definitely going all in on red. I don't have Sothis and more Mirabilis merges wouldn't hurt for AR. If there aren't any red orbs, then I'll summon on blue since I'm seemingly one of the few people that doesn't have L!Azura. Also Chrom.

Ah nice, been waiting for him to appear. My boi Leif needs his buddy. Alas, I don't have the orbs to go all out for him. I'm saving up for someone. Even I don't know who, to be honest, but I'm not a big enough fan of Seliph to make sure I get him. I kinda want to +10 Silque (currently I have her at +-1...... I've yet to pull my first copy), and I feel like we will get some 3H banners soon, and heavens forbid I miss Ingrid on her release. I might pull all blues on my first circle though, I need an Azura to make the typical disgusting AR Defense teams that I hate so much...

Hilarious how underwhelming he looks compared to LChrom and LEdelgard.
Think he really needed some kind of broken effect like Urvan's % reduction to be relevant at all.
Love the art though.

On the other hand, I welcome enemy teams in Arena/AA having him, since that's one fewer dangerous unit to deal with. Adding to the pile of easy Earth legends helps dilute the threatening ones like LAlm and LJulia.

That said, I'll still take a red orb when there is no blue, as Sothis' TP fodder is very nice compared to the green/colorless options for me. Hopefully don't get Seliph'd.

Well I will pull red on the free pull and skip, since I don't really want or need anyone on the banner.  I am very happy Seliph finally has an alt, though I am going to stick with my easy to merge project OG version since I can +10 him once I have the feathers.

Pretty sure I just jinxed my free pull. I had an amazing discount pull on another game and the card I wanted most from the banner on said game for pennies. If I end up free pulling a 5* on the Legendary banner, I'm totally buying a lottery ticket. 

Huh, that's unusual. Sothis is set to comeback in early August. Every other Legendary/Mythic is the end of the month as usual.

August being CYL I.E. Choose Your Houses makes me wonder if there will be a Summoning Event with Sothis and maybe other 3H characters with her?

10 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Huh, that's unusual. Sothis is set to comeback in early August. Every other Legendary/Mythic is the end of the month as usual.

August being CYL I.E. Choose Your Houses makes me wonder if there will be a Summoning Event with Sothis and maybe other 3H characters with her?

Early August last year had that Summer Hero Fest, with Tibarn, Nailah, Surtr and Evil Tiki, which was an excellent line-up. This year's version has a lot to live up to - and I'd be disappointed if it was just the 3H lords being re-run as they're nowhere near as versatile as the above lineup.

P.S. Boy do these people work fast -

i4cf79x200851.png

Edited by Humanoid

43 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

We've had that happen before. Legendary Lyn's release banner started on May 1.

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

We've had that happen before. Legendary Lyn's release banner started on May 1.

The extremely short turnaround for her re-run plus there being no other legendary or mythic unit also scheduled for early August rules out a repeat of that scenario though.

2 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

The extremely short turnaround for her re-run plus there being no other legendary or mythic unit also scheduled for early August rules out a repeat of that scenario though.

Ah. In that case, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Red > Green > Blue > Colorless, and I got lucky.  Colorless was Eleanora or merges.

I now have Eleanora in my barracks.  SCORE!

So... stats.

41 Atk with a superboon for 45 Atk was kind of a given due to the current state of the game. I'm not surprised in the least.

He's basically a significantly stronger and bulkier (and better-looking) Hrid, but with no player-phase presence, which I think is fine. The enormous Atk stat with his weapon's effect is worth it.

Being vulnerable to Null Follow-Up, however, still hurts him a lot, which is unfortunate. That said, it's actually almost trivially possible to get his Atk high enough to one-hit kill Alm on the counterattack if Alm isn't running Sturdy Impact or Sturdy Blow. But Seliph will still get demolished by Infantry Pulse, so... eh.

He'll probably wreck most other game modes, though.

I wound up getting this guy for FREE. Wow. lol

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

(and better-looking)

☹️ I think Hrid is far more attractive...

But I do prefer tall hunky guys which Hrid is closer to being, so. lol

His stats are pretty nice for an enemy phase, although his Res could be a little higher... He has 29 Res (26+3). Also, three supper banes is pretty sad, and one of them is Res.

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

☹️ I think Hrid is far more attractive...

It doesn't surprise me... Hríd's art is basically Alolan/Galarian RD Ike.

14 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

His stats are pretty nice for an enemy phase, although his Res could be a little higher... He has 29 Res (26+3). Also, three supper banes is pretty sad, and one of them is Res.

His weapon's effect effectively gives him another 6 Res by lowering the opponent's Atk, which brings it up to a fairly respectable 35 Res.