Reworked adjuctant system concept

I enjoyed the way 3 Houses handled adjuctants, with them being selected before battle and having their own separate deployment limit, but I have some thoughts on how the system could be better and more interesting.

Adjuctants support everyone

Adjuctants would provide their benefits to all deployed characters in your party.

Adjuctants would gain experience and support points from every combat, or a set amount from the mission's completion.

Adjuctants will level at the same rate and build supports with everyone, regardless of who does the fighting.

Every character would have their own support bonus

Here's the real meat of the concept. Adjuctants each have their own power that applies to everyone in the party, instead of the basic attack, heal, or support effects.

I'll use Tellius as an example, since I am well acquainted with the characters.

Rhys would recover 5 hp to all allies at the start of each turn.

Brom would increase the Defense of all characters.

Boyd would increase the Attack of all characters.

Benching your Jagen is a big sacrifice, so Titania would increase Bonus Experience earned by 33%.

Gatrie would increase the stats of all female characters.

The friendly Mist would allow allies to build supports faster.

Bastian's Silver Tongue support ability would increase support stat bonuses.

The boisterous Kieran would allow support bonuses to reach an extra space.

Volke's Assassination ability would greatly increase the xp earned by the unit who kills the boss of that map.

Sothe's ability would spawn an extra treasure chest on the map.

As benching a Dancer is a huge sacrifice, Reyson's support ability gives everyone +1 Mov.

Zihark greatly increases the stats of all Laguz.

Jill increases damage done to enemy Laguz.

Hm... so it's basically using one unit to cast a "universal effect"? I like this concept, but definitely feel like it needs to be balanced out. I would limit the player to one "Adjutant" per map, and if you choose to bring one, you lose a deployment slot. At the end of the map, they could gain EXP equal to the total earned by your army, divided by total deployment slots. Ex. If there are 12 slots, you can field 11 and make Boyd your adjutant, and Boyd will gain Total EXP ÷ 12.

As for how this manifests, maybe instead of being assigned to a unit of your choice, they can back up the main Lord (so Boyd is just chilling with Ike). Or they actually take the field, and are controllable, but can't actually fight/heal/whatever as long as they're assigned "Adjutant". In this case, rather than a global effect, the effect could exist for a certain space (say, 5 tiles) around the unit in question.

17 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Hm... so it's basically using one unit to cast a "universal effect"? I like this concept, but definitely feel like it needs to be balanced out. I would limit the player to one "Adjutant" per map, and if you choose to bring one, you lose a deployment slot. At the end of the map, they could gain EXP equal to the total earned by your army, divided by total deployment slots. Ex. If there are 12 slots, you can field 11 and make Boyd your adjutant, and Boyd will gain Total EXP ÷ 12.

As for how this manifests, maybe instead of being assigned to a unit of your choice, they can back up the main Lord (so Boyd is just chilling with Ike). Or they actually take the field, and are controllable, but can't actually fight/heal/whatever as long as they're assigned "Adjutant". In this case, rather than a global effect, the effect could exist for a certain space (say, 5 tiles) around the unit in question.

I was thinking of a 2 deployment limit, to allow for synergies (ie: extra support bonus + increased support range).

As far as exp goes, I'd like to propose an alternative. Adjutants would level up faster than other units, but could also have a Fatigue system that does not apply to regular deployed units. They would have to either sit out or be deployed as regular units for the next 2-3 missions. This would make you select your adjutants more carefully rather than relying on particular ones.

23 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Jill increases damage done to enemy Laguz.

That goes against her character development though 😛

But yeah, that concept could work. Each unit having a passive ability they can provide.

Needs to be balanced as to not be op though. And only 1 units that can do that. 2 Map wide passive effect would be too op.

Would be cool if Enemy had that gimmick that well

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That goes against her character development though 😛

But yeah, that concept could work. Each unit having a passive ability they can provide.

Needs to be balanced as to not be op though. And only 1 units that can do that. 2 Map wide passive effect would be too op.

Would be cool if Enemy had that gimmick that well

Yes. It does. Which is why it would be her effect in PoR, not in RD. It could also be Shinon's effect, since he is a huge jerkass and a Beorc-supremacist.

Maybe instead of calling it Adjutant, the proper term for something like this would be Commander, and it would be quite akin to something like Advanced Wars in that regard.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Commander wouldn't be right either, since that is usually the lord.

Ya know, this idea reminds me very heavily of Trails in the Sky the 3rd, where you can assign a support member to you Party for various effects

Elws83S.jpg

I imagine something like this is what you mean? I can imagine it could work really with FE.

Let's take some of the PoR characters you posted as an example

Rhys would give everyone HP regen, but as a downside they would've lower Def

Brom would increase the Defense of all characters, but decrease speed.

Boyd would increase the Attack and crit of all characters, but decrease Lck.

Titania would increase Bonus Experience earned by 30%, decrease money earned by 10%.

Gatrie would increase the stats of all female characters, while slightly decreasing male ones (because they are annoyed).

The friendly Mist would allow allies to build supports faster, increase healing effects, and a one time miracle, but dicreases STR.

etc.

Edited by Shrimperor

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Commander wouldn't be right either, since that is usually the lord.

Ya know, this idea reminds me very heavily of Trails in the Sky the 3rd, where you can assign a support member to you Party for various effects

Elws83S.jpg

I imagine something like this is what you mean? I can imagine it could work really with FE.

Let's take some of the PoR characters you posted as an example

Rhys would give everyone HP regen, but as a downside they would've lower Def

Brom would increase the Defense of all characters, but decrease speed.

Boyd would increase the Attack and crit of all characters, but decrease Lck.

Titania would increase Bonus Experience earned by 30%, decrease money earned by 10%.

Gatrie would increase the stats of all female characters, while slightly decreasing male ones (because they are annoyed).

The friendly Mist would allow allies to build supports faster, increase healing effects, and a one time miracle, but dicreases STR.

etc.

That was actually the exact source. I'm playing Trails in the Sky 3C right now and couldn't help but appreciate their Support system and how well it could work with a game like Fire Emblem with its emphasis on character identity.

Also, a few more:

Makalov - Earn extra gold, decreased luck.

Lethe - Increased damage against Beorc foes, decreased damage against Laguz foes.

Haar - Waiting restores hp and increases stats for rest of turn. Attacking on player phase reduces stats for rest of turn.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That was actually the exact source. I'm playing Trails in the Sky 3C right now.

Considering it's my 2nd fav. game of all time, enjoy 😉

I am glad i whited out the character names then as to not spoil you haha

But to stay on topic, as i said, it should be limited to 1 per party, and while it should provide positives, it should also come with slight disadvantage as well.

I can imagine a support that gives +SPD would be used by everyone, as an example, so it should come with something to balance it, etc

15 minutes ago, whase said:

Sounds interesting, although I'd like to add 1 point. Enemies also get to have adjutants.

Sure, why not. Having the enemy leader of each map add a special effect for you to deal with could be a cool way to vary gameplay.

It could also be a way for them to design enemy skills for you to take into account without giving every enemy their own long list of skills to keep track of. Having all enemies in the same map have just their class skills + boss bonuses is much more reasonable.

It could actually fix a lot of the modern gameplay loop.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I was thinking of a 2 deployment limit, to allow for synergies (ie: extra support bonus + increased support range).

This would be okay, so long as the effects are not OP, and if doing 2 "adjutants" means sacrificing 2 deployment slots.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As far as exp goes, I'd like to propose an alternative. Adjutants would level up faster than other units, but could also have a Fatigue system that does not apply to regular deployed units. They would have to either sit out or be deployed as regular units for the next 2-3 missions. This would make you select your adjutants more carefully rather than relying on particular 

That could work I guess. Another way that came to mind is, remember how maps in the Tellius games each have a certain "affinity"? Well, maybe the ability to adjutant could be limited to those with the matching affinity. That would prevent the player from using the same one every chapter, but on the negative side, it would reduce player choice in a some situations. 

Anyway, here are some ideas for "adjutant powers" from units originating in Radiant Dawn:

Edward: Get Crit+10 when under attack from an adjacent space.

Leonardo: Cannot be counter-attacked when attacking at range.

Nolan: You don't lose weapon durability on each unit's first strike of the map.

Laura: Removes the Poison condition at the start of every turn.

Aran: Hit +10 when attacking a sword-wielding enemy.

Meg: Critical Avoid +10 when under attack from an adjacent space.

13 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

This would be okay, so long as the effects are not OP, and if doing 2 "adjutants" means sacrificing 2 deployment slots.

That could work I guess. Another way that came to mind is, remember how maps in the Tellius games each have a certain "affinity"? Well, maybe the ability to adjutant could be limited to those with the matching affinity. That would prevent the player from using the same one every chapter, but on the negative side, it would reduce player choice in a some situations. 

Anyway, here are some ideas for "adjutant powers" from units originating in Radiant Dawn:

Edward: Get Crit+10 when under attack from an adjacent space.

Leonardo: Cannot be counter-attacked when attacking at range.

Nolan: You don't lose weapon durability on each unit's first strike of the map.

Laura: Removes the Poison condition at the start of every turn.

Aran: Hit +10 when attacking a sword-wielding enemy.

Meg: Critical Avoid +10 when under attack from an adjacent space.

What if elemental map affinities strengthened bonuses and/or increased earned xp by the support unit if they match affinity? So rather than restricting the player, you achieve the same effect by encouraging them instead. You might not even need a fatigue mechanic for them then.

I really like all of these suggestions I'm getting. It's like being in a little design room and I hadn't even considered a lot of these ideas.