Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
------

About to start Edelgard's paralogue... (minor spoilers I guess?)

Recommended Posts

...using only Byleth and El. Is there anything I should know about going into this? I don't want any of the story details if that's possible, but basically I'd like to know ahead of time if there's any traps, ambushes or other things to avoid/watch out for (a la Petra and Bernadetta's paralogue).

Byleth's in the Enlightened One class. She has the Sublime Creator Sword, Blutgang and a Silver Sword+ along with Nosferatu, Heal, Recover and a Magic Staff equipped. So she's set for healing, dodge tanking and dealing with magic-weak enemies.

Edelgard's in the Emperor class and has Aymr, a Silver Axe+, a Brave Axe+ and a Killer Axe+ with a Silver Shield equipped. I just picked up an Axe of Zoltan off an enemy commander in my last battle but I haven't checked it out yet to see if it's any good. I also gave her the movement +2 boots a while back because I know Emperor's movement isn't all that.

My plan is to keep Byleth and El together for linked attacks and gambit boosts, and so Byleth can heal El if needed. Byleth's batallion is Jeralt's Mercenaries (which I'm not changing) and El's is Empire Archers since I haven't found anything that suits her better in terms of stat boosts.

Any words of advice (or warning lol) are much appreciated! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nader will stay in place, I remember that for sure. Wyverns will reinforce around him and will charge at you by the looks of it (It's been a while since I played)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Maddening  this chapter actually makes me happy I like going Dancer Edelgard. Sword avoid  on who ever your dancer id/axe breaker are your friends with so many axe units.

Nader is the easiest part of the chapter even on maddening thanks to the terrain surrounding him making his hitrates bad.  I had him have zero hit rate on Byleth and Edelgard during my no new game plus run thanks to the forests around him.  The biggest problem is all of the wyvern reinforcement spam going for the goal (its a defend an area map). Not sure how a low man of this map would go or if you need at least one more body to deal with the spam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

On Maddening  this chapter actually makes me happy I like going Dancer Edelgard. Sword avoid  on who ever your dancer id/axe breaker are your friends with so many axe units.

Nader is the easiest part of the chapter even on maddening thanks to the terrain surrounding him making his hitrates bad.  I had him have zero hit rate on Byleth and Edelgard during my no new game plus run thanks to the forests around him.  The biggest problem is all of the wyvern reinforcement spam going for the goal (its a defend an area map). Not sure how a low man of this map would go or if you need at least one more body to deal with the spam.

So Nader stays put, but what about the wyvern reinforcements? I'm assuming since this is a defense mission that they'll all start moving towards the goal from the start. In which case it would probably be better to keep Byleth and El in that spot and let the wyverns come to them, yes?

Also is the wyvern spam endless? Or is it possible to just kill them all and then go for Nader when he's the last one left?

Btw that Axe of Zoltan I found looks pretty useless. Just a discount Aymr with no Raging Storm lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

So Nader stays put, but what about the wyvern reinforcements? I'm assuming since this is a defense mission that they'll all start moving towards the goal from the start. In which case it would probably be better to keep Byleth and El in that spot and let the wyverns come to them, yes?

Also is the wyvern spam endless? Or is it possible to just kill them all and then go for Nader when he's the last one left?

Btw that Axe of Zoltan I found looks pretty useless. Just a discount Aymr with no Raging Storm lol

Wyvern reinforcements move on their phase (not always straight towards you, but they will attack eventually), I believe it's 4 per turn on Maddening, and they don't stop until you finish the map. The first few turns of the map are the toughest - while Byleth and Edelgard can probably hold the defend point, your army will be getting attacked from three sides by Bow Knights with Poison Strike, three Giant Birds and wyverns (and there's some infantry near the deployment area to be careful of). Almost everybody except Nader, the miniboss sniper, and one battalion-wielding wyvern in each corner has aggressive AI.

Often people go for an LTC clear (killing Nader finishes the map) because it can be a pain to play defensively/rout. There are some stat boosters lying around, and the sniper can drop his bow (a Brave Bow I think?) if you care enough, but getting those requires a lot more careful planning. Good luck low-manning it - IMO it's one of the harder paralogues in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Wyvern reinforcements move on their phase (not always straight towards you, but they will attack eventually), I believe it's 4 per turn on Maddening, and they don't stop until you finish the map. The first few turns of the map are the toughest - while Byleth and Edelgard can probably hold the defend point, your army will be getting attacked from three sides by Bow Knights with Poison Strike, three Giant Birds and wyverns (and there's some infantry near the deployment area to be careful of). Almost everybody except Nader, the miniboss sniper, and one battalion-wielding wyvern in each corner has aggressive AI.

Often people go for an LTC clear (killing Nader finishes the map) because it can be a pain to play defensively/rout. There are some stat boosters lying around, and the sniper can drop his bow (a Brave Bow I think?) if you care enough, but getting those requires a lot more careful planning. Good luck low-manning it - IMO it's one of the harder paralogues in the game.

I'm only on Hard if that makes a difference. Doubt I'll ever touch Maddening tbh since I'm playing mostly for story with a just bit of challenge.

If I go on the offensive and have Byleth and El work their way towards Nader, that leaves the defend point completely unguarded. How fast do the other enemies get there? And do they get distracted by fighting, or is getting to the defend point all they care about? I'm guessing it'll be as good as over once El's close enough to attack Nader. So if they both take the center path and cut through anyone in their way, any chance they'll reach Nader before the defend point's in trouble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

I'm only on Hard if that makes a difference. Doubt I'll ever touch Maddening tbh since I'm playing mostly for story with a just bit of challenge.

If I go on the offensive and have Byleth and El work their way towards Nader, that leaves the defend point completely unguarded. How fast do the other enemies get there? And do they get distracted by fighting, or is getting to the defend point all they care about? I'm guessing it'll be as good as over once El's close enough to attack Nader. So if they both take the center path and cut through anyone in their way, any chance they'll reach Nader before the defend point's in trouble?

I think Hard is actually a bit kinder (no Poison Strike at least, making it easier to tank stuff) although you'll still get the same number of reinforcements.

I don't think it's likely that you'll get to Nader with the strategy you described because the guys on the left and the right will capture the seize point in 3 turns or so. You can kite the bow knights because of their amazing range, but everyone else will ignore you. Ans since you'll get bogged down for at least two turns in the central clearing thanks to the terrain, while attempting to fend off ranged units/canto users all the while, you won't be able to get back to to defend or get to Nader before they seize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is possible, especially if the reinforcements are infinite.

5 hours ago, RainbowMoon said:

Btw that Axe of Zoltan I found looks pretty useless. Just a discount Aymr with no Raging Storm lol

I would beg to differ - Aymr requires Agarthium (which, by the way, is one of the rarest materials in the whole game) to repair, and that 60 base accuracy is worrisome (how strong your attack is is only meaningful if you can actually land it in the first place, after all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it a bunch of tries using only the two of them and yeah it seems pretty impossible. No matter what I did, some random managed to slip past the border. I'd really enjoyed the Byleth and Jeritza duo mission (even if the actual fight was underwhelming), so the idea of Byleth and El going full two-woman army on her paralogue sounded like a lot of fun. But the whole guard the border part just made it too much of a nuicance to be worth it.

I had to do the normal way with my whole party, but I beat the paralogue! The endless wyverns were a pain in the ass, but nothing Petra and Ingrid couldn't take care of. And Nader went down in two hits thanks to Byleth and El.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't think this is possible, especially if the reinforcements are infinite.

I would beg to differ - Aymr requires Agarthium (which, by the way, is one of the rarest materials in the whole game) to repair, and that 60 base accuracy is worrisome (how strong your attack is is only meaningful if you can actually land it in the first place, after all).

I only use Aymr occasionally for Raging Storm's extra turn. I don't use any other combat arts with El since her basic attacks are typically strong enough and let her counter if she needs to. Zoltan's weight concerns me if I was gonna use it for basic attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...