What changes would you make to Binding Blade in a potential remake?

Bring back Mines and Light Runes from FE7 since I like the options they add to combat.

Change any of the "Non-standard" ambush spawns, like in "The Trap"/Chapter 6, where dudes spawn in the bottom right room after opening the chests...in the middle of the room, so if you tried to block it off with a unit on the staircase inside the room, that unit is kinda in trouble. (It was pretty much Luck that no one died from that.)

Slightly better telegraphing for certain recruitments. (Such as recruiting Gonzalez with Lilina.)

Reference how a good chunk of the FE 7 cast is now dead, you could have additonal scenes with characters who are in both games reacting to/dealing with the fact their old comrades are now gone, such as having you find Oswin dead in the same level as Hector. (since apparently according to a novel he was present and died in this battle.)

Edited by Samz707
osWIN

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Tweak ambush spawns. I wonā€™t say remove them, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. There are some ambush spawns that are fine, but some that are unfair, so just remove the unfair ones or tweak them to make them more fair.

- Fix the Douglas situation. That chapter is really annoying solely because of Douglas. Make it so that he just sits in a corner and doesnā€™t move or something.

- Klein and Tate will randomly not move on their turn, but their squads will move, making it almost impossible to recruit them without killing their squad, causing you to miss out on the promotion items. This shouldnā€™t be able to happen this way.

- Echidna can die on the same turn she appears, although there are ways to prevent this such as sacrificing Kleinā€™s squad, that still doesnā€™t seem fair. Just make Echidna and the enemy Fighters appear on player phase.

- Some tweaks to units to balance them out a little better. I think some units definitely need some rebalancing, but Iā€™m a little iffy on this, because there are people that like using weak units. I donā€™t think that every unit needs to be even.

-Ā I donā€™t think the story needs much changing, though now that FE7 is a thing, they could connect the stories better and maybe add in some characters from FE7, but nothing too much.

- Skills/Abilities would actually be a great way to balance units better. Weak units could be given good and unique abilities to make them stand out and give them a purpose.

- branching promotion options like inĀ Sacred Stones could be pretty cool.

- Fix The Law ofĀ Sacae.

- Give Roy an earlier promotion and have it give him some kind of bonus, like a leadership bonus that increases Hit rates of nearby allies or something.

29 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Just make Echidna and the enemy Fighters appear on player phase.

I'd personally rather have Echidna just join without a weapon that gives her -6 to AS, personally, especially if it's a sword. It would help her make a not awful first impression...

30 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Fix Sacae.

Fixed it for ya!

31 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Fix the Douglas situation. That chapter is really annoying solely because of Douglas. Make it so that he just sits in a corner and doesnā€™t move or something.

Maybe they could have him be near some chests so you have the choice to get some chests and aggro him or leave the chests be and not have Douglas chasing you around?

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I'd personally rather have Echidna just join without a weapon that gives her -6 to AS, personally, especially if it's a sword. It would help her make a not awful first impression...

That would help, but it would still be possible for her to die if you get unlucky, though that would be much less likely.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Fixed it for ya!

Well, yeah, I guess all of Sacae is kind of cruel, but Law of Sacae is the worst of it all.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Maybe they could have him be near some chests so you have the choice to get some chests and aggro him or leave the chests be and not have Douglas chasing you around?

Yeah, that would be good. It gives you incentive to move into his range and you can get rewarded for doing so. After all, If he didnā€™t move at all then there wouldnā€™t be much point in him even being on the map.

Edited by Whisky

1- Give weapons better hit rates, this includes nerfing the thrones/gates avoid bonus.

2- Make Nomads/Nomad Troopers weak against anti-calvalry weaponry.

3- Make ambush spawns Hard mode only.

4- Give dragons 1-2 range on Hard mode at least.

Edited by Wolfgang

23 hours ago, Wolfgang said:

3- Make ambush spawns Hard mode only.

I think this is a bad idea. If ambush spawns are designed fairly (and they can be), then there wouldnā€™t be any issue with them being in Normal Mode, and if they are designed unfairly, then they should [not] be in the game at all. Adding unfair mechanics is a terrible way to increase difficulty.

If ambush spawns were still in Hard mode exactly as hey are now, and I had the choice of removing them in Normal mode or keeping them in, I would keep them in. Unfair ambush spawns are easier to deal with in Normal mode because the game is easier, and then when you play on Hard mode, you already know about them. So playing Normal mode prepares you for Hard mode. If they werenā€™t in Normal mode and then were in Hard mode, then they would be even more bs then they already are by coming as a complete surprise to the player who thought they already knew what to expect after playing on Normal Mode.

Edited by Whisky

I look at this thread and see bad ideas everywhere.

But yeah, they could stand to fix a couple glitches like with Klein and Tate's movement. Give Douglas and Raigh hard mode bonuses.

I'd maybe throw in a couple of master seals 'cause it'd be fun to be able to promote in ways you couldn't before, but I would keep class specific promotion items on the whole.

Roy can promote at chapter 16 I'm alright with that actually.

40 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Roy can promote at chapter 16 I'm alright with that actually.

Roy doesnā€™t actually gainĀ much from promoting. He normally gets the Sword of Seals at the same time as his promotion so some people might confuse the ā€œRoy is good after promotingā€ with ā€œRoy is good after getting the Sword of Sealsā€. The promotion itself doesnā€™t have very good promotion bonuses and doesnā€™t give him anything beyond a few stats. Donā€™t get me wrong, it would help. It just wouldnā€™t change things much without adding some kind of promotion bonus.

40 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Give Douglas and Raigh hard mode bonuses.

Actually, is it better to have hard bonuses or just remove them completely? Removing hard mode bonuses might make it easier for the game to be balanced for both Normal mode and Hard mode, without that balance changing between game (modes).

Edited by Whisky

56 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Roy doesnā€™t actually gainĀ much from promoting. He normally gets the Sword of Seals at the same time as his promotion so some people might confuse the ā€œRoy is good after promotingā€ with ā€œRoy is good after getting the Sword of Sealsā€. The promotion itself doesnā€™t have very good promotion bonuses and doesnā€™t give him anything beyond a few stats. Donā€™t get me wrong, it would help. It just wouldnā€™t change things much without adding some kind of promotion bonus.

He gets +1 move though, which is nice. His promotion bonuses are pretty decent. It doesn't make him good but it'd be nice for those weirdos who like to use Roy after his rapier breaks and before getting SoS. I don't even think it's so much helpful as it is weird that Roy can't promote until so late.

56 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Actually, is it better to have hard bonuses or just remove them completely? Removing hard mode bonuses might make it easier for the game to be balanced for both Normal mode and Hard mode, without that balance changing between game (modes).

I think hard mode bonuses are kinda neat, I'd keep 'em.

31 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

He gets +1 move though, which is nice. His promotion bonuses are pretty decent. It doesn't make him good but it'd be nice for those weirdos who like to use Roy after his rapier breaks and before getting SoS. I don't even think it's so much helpful as it is weird that Roy can't promote until so late.

Fair enough. The weird thing is that thereā€™s a part that would make sense for him to promote at, story wise, but he doesnā€™t. Itā€™s when he is ā€˜promotedā€™ to be the leader of the Eturian-Lycian Alliance Army. I forget the details, but I think it would make more sense for him to promote there than when you gets the Sword. No one else needs a legendary weapon (in this game) to promote, so whatā€™s Royā€™s deal?

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I think hard mode bonuses are kinda neat, I'd keep 'em.

I mean, they are interesting. Changing up unit quality between game modes is interesting and not necessarily a bad thing. Itā€™s just not balanced well. Some of the already best units in the game get even better while some bad units get even worse by comparison. There are some characters that are balanced better because of the hard mode bonuses but then those units maybe should have been better to begin with and arenā€™t good enough on Normal mode.

48 minutes ago, Whisky said:

I mean, they are interesting. Changing up unit quality between game modes is interesting and not necessarily a bad thing. Itā€™s just not balanced well. Some of the already best units in the game get even better while some bad units get even worse by comparison. There are some characters that are balanced better because of the hard mode bonuses but then those units maybe should have been better to begin with and arenā€™t good enough on Normal mode.

Eh, balance is overrated. Unbalanced games let you pick your difficulty more precisely and better express your preferences and style.

I know this is a topic about an official remake, but many or most of the core gameplay changes suggested in this thread can be done fairly simply with the original FE6 in FE Builder without adding any new assets. I know that at least the following can be done quite painlessly.

• Hit rates
  • "Balancing" units
  • Making enemy reinforcements spawn before player turn
  • Promotion timing for Roy
  • Promotion item frequency
  • Adding hard mode bonuses to Raigh, Douglas, Hugh
  • Changing support speed
  • Making Rapiers/Horseslayers effective against Nomads/Troubadours and their promoted classes

If we were to get a faithful remake of FE6, I think the single feature I would most want is a "randomized" mode, where units, and possibly their classes, are shuffled. I think the classic FE formula lends itself well to this sort of mechanic.

1 hour ago, gringe said:

I know this is a topic about an official remake, but many or most of the core gameplay changes suggested in this thread can be done fairly simply with the original FE6 in FE Builder without adding any new assets. I know that at least the following can be done quite painlessly.

If we were to get a faithful remake of FE6, I think the single feature I would most want is a "randomized" mode, where units, and possibly their classes, are shuffled. I think the classic FE formula lends itself well to this sort of mechanic.

I thought moving Roy's promotion even screwed some things up? I must be mistaken.

A randomized mode would be a great addition though, I think I even suggested that somewhere myself. I usually replay these games randomized anyway so that would be a nice convenience to play a fancy-pants looking game where Roy joins in Chapter 12 as a Fighter with a 60% defense growth. Fire Emblem is so well suited to randomization I was surprised to learn that randomizers didn't start as a Fire Emblem fandom thing.

If we're talking about strict additions rather than adjustments, I wouldn't mind a version of hard mode where the first five chapters are toned down a bit so long as the regular hard mode was kept. I also actually really like Heart Seals so I'm almost inclined to ask for those, but thinking about it that wouldn't really work with class specific promotion items so nevermind.

58 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I thought moving Roy's promotion even screwed some things up? I must be mistaken.

I've never tried it myself but I've seen a few hacks that do it and it is "theoretically" possible. Maybe it does cause issues, though.

Well, for one, promoted Roy is clearly wielding the Binding Blade, so it would be a little unfitting if going for believability, but that doesn't affect gameplay.

I love playing randomizes of FE games. Having an official randomized mode is a great idea. Iā€™ve played several randomizers of the GBA games, particularly Binding Blade. You can get some pretty fun game modes.

11 hours ago, gringe said:

Well, for one, promoted Roy is clearly wielding the Binding Blade, so it would be a little unfitting if going for believability, but that doesn't affect gameplay.

I thought when promoted Roy attacks with a regular Sword he just looks like normal un-promotedĀ Roy?

Edited by Whisky

3 hours ago, Whisky said:

I thought when promoted Roy attacks with a regular Sword he just looks like normal un-promotedĀ Roy?

That is the case. And unpromoted Roy even has the BB animation, even though that is obviously an unused specification because that cannot happen without cheats.(At the end of the day, bothĀ classes have the same animations tho and that is kinda lame.)

Edited by German FE Nino

48 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

That is the case. And unpromoted Roy even has the BB animation, even though that is obviously an unused specification because that cannot happen without cheats.(At the end of the day, bothĀ classes have the same animations tho and that is kinda lame.)

It is lame. Roy really doesnā€™t gain much of anything from his promotion, not even a new sprite or animation. ItĀ just comes at the same time that he gets the Sword. If Roy never promoted, he probably wouldnā€™t even be much worse.

Edited by Whisky

5 hours ago, Whisky said:

Ā 

I meant on the map screen. I guess that wasnā€™t clear. When you select Roy he waves the Binding Blade back and forth.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, gringe said:

I meant on the map screen. I guess that wasnā€™t clear. When you select Roy he waves the Binding Blade back and forth.

Oh I see. I misunderstood you.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Eh, balance is overrated. Unbalanced games let you pick your difficulty more precisely and better express your preferences and style.

Thatā€™s an interesting opinion, and dare I say, an unpopular one. Iā€™m interested in seeing you elaborate on your perspective on this subject. Iā€™m a little unsure how I feel about that myself. I donā€™t think that all units need to be equal but I think they should have something to offer, rather then just being inferior versions of other units.

Iā€™ll use Bors as an example actually, the game literally tells you that Armour Knights have ā€œimpenetrable defensesā€, but Bors gets ORKOed by early game Fighters, and canā€™t take too many attacks from other enemies either with them always Ā doubling them. I donā€™t mind if he would still be bad due to low Spd and Move, as long as he could actually take hits like the game tells you heā€™s supposed to be able to.

2 hours ago, Whisky said:

Thatā€™s an interesting opinion, and dare I say, an unpopular one. Iā€™m interested in seeing you elaborate on your perspective on this subject. Iā€™m a little unsure how I feel about that myself. I donā€™t think that all units need to be equal but I think they should have something to offer, rather then just being inferior versions of other units.

Iā€™ll use Bors as an example actually, the game literally tells you that Armour Knights have ā€œimpenetrable defensesā€, but Bors gets ORKOed by early game Fighters, and canā€™t take too many attacks from other enemies either with them always Ā doubling them. I donā€™t mind if he would still be bad due to low Spd and Move, as long as he could actually take hits like the game tells you heā€™s supposed to be able to.

I don't know, Bors actually tanks quite well against the cavaliers, soldiers, and bow users of the early game. He may get doubled but a lot of these guys deal 2-3 damage if they even damage him at all. The fighters are what gives him trouble and having problems with one unit type is fine.

He is still really bad though, and the question was why its okay to have really bad units. So enough Bors apologetics!

Here is spouted nonsense hope it makes sense.

First is personal difficulty. You can challenge yourself by using bad units, and that's fun for a lot of people.

• This is the sort of difficulty I find fascinating in games. It's dynamic, unlike picking a difficulty from the start of the game, changing as you want it to or need it to. It's also very precise. Looking at Kid Icarus: Uprising, you might not be able to understand the difference between intensity 6 and 7. It's a weird abstraction that doesn't really mean anything other than telling you the level will probably be harder. However, the player can much more easily understand the impact using or not using a certain unit will have on their experience, that's intuitive and relates to the core gameplay.
  • Challenge runs are also fun. Ironmans are a pretty common challenge run, and losing a unit you like and being stuck with a worse alternative creates an interesting scenario for the player. Maybe units should all have niches over each other, but I don't know if that's strictly necessary. Probably a good idea. Wendy technically has a niche so...

Second is expression. You can use a unit just because you like them, and not for any practical reason.

• Now, there's no inherent conflict between using a unit you like and that unit being good, but it does create a unique relationship between players and their units when the choice isn't pragmatic or is even counterproductive. Fire Emblem has a lot of weird mechanics that really don't make sense and are probably objectively bad, but they somehow work out and the result of things like permadeath and growth rates is that you develop a personal attachment to units. Using a unit in spite of them being worse, merely for some favoritism, is a unique sort of thing Fire Emblem lets you do.
  • You might like a unit's personality, if they're a bad unit and you use them anyway, that immediately attaches you to that unit in a special way.
  • Some people like to put in the effort to train up a weak unit. This is nearly always a bad idea. It's fun though, but you can't really balance that. If they don't turn out quite good, they weren't worth the effort, but if they're too good, they break the game (which is actually a problem).

Third is dominant strategy. The attempt to balance units can often erase their unique features.

• Speed is the best stat, right? Not many units can be good without good speed. Movement is also very important.
  • Many people look at Armor Knights and see they're slow and have low move, and their idea to balance that is to remove those weaknesses. This is really lame and this design philosophy leads to all units being competent at the dominant strategy rather than unique or interesting or having niches or doing something cool or presenting a unique challenge to use them. People try to cut down on the differences in the important stats and the result is more homogeneous unit design.

Fourth, it just won't work.

• Like, literally ever. Balance has never actually happened.
  • What even is balance? Is FE6 Marcus a "balanced" unit? He has a definite purpose, that's for sure. However, you're extremely dependent on him for the first third of the game and he's completely useless for the last third. That goes against what most people consider balanced, but I think FE6 is better for having units that shine during specific periods. You could argue that such is a sort of balance, but I obviously don't care.
  • Don't let balance become more important than fun. The mistake many people make is wanting a game which is infinitely polished and played exactly how they want and sounds so good on a box that they forget how execution works.

@AnonymousSpeedĀ Thanks for saying it better than I ever could. I've been saying it a lot lately, not everyone has the same playstyle, not everyone likes just choosing the most efficient paths. Bad units can always be picked over good ones for a multitude of reasons, thanks for putting that in that many words.

As someone who likes inefficient play, I do hope they won't change that in a potential remake, I actually enjoy training units like Sophia.

As it happened I did make a Binding Blade Hack before.

I got a little carried away in some ways, but my main idea was to make useless characters more useful,Ā  make theĀ  magic weapon triangle more useful, make Guinevere playable and make the end game harder. Oh and having the Gaiden bosses actually use the legendary weapons they're guarding. All of them except one can actually use the weapons in their given class, so why the hell not. I find it fun and scary to go up against legendary weapons.

Edited by Jotari

Merlinus-Marcus S-rank since it's the one true canon paired ending from FE7.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:43 PM, Whisky said:

Ā 

- Fix The Law ofĀ Sacae.

Not go to that chapter yet ( assuming I end up there) what's wrong with it?

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Ā 

I got a little carried away in some ways, but my main idea was to make useless characters more useful,Ā  make theĀ  magic weapon triangle more useful, make Guinevere playable and make the end game harder. Oh and having the Gaiden bosses actually use the legendary weapons they're guarding. All of them except one can actually use the weapons in their given class, so why the hell not. I find it fun and scary to go up against legendary weapons.

Yeah makingĀ GuinevereĀ playable seems like an obvious one. (Apparently she was ment to be playable originally, at least it's a claim I've seen made online in a few places.)

I guess maybe acknowledge that Armads kinda makes the user kinda die in battle somehow if you give it to someone.

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

Not go to that chapter yet ( assuming I end up there) what's wrong with it?

The sieze point is surrounded by a ring of about...Twelve-ish houses? The second you enter into it, a nomadic trooper spawns from each of those houses for, like, four turns. And believe me, especially on hard mode, those blighters are brutal.

Unless I'm mistaken, that is. There's a few rough chapters in Sacae.

2 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I guess maybe acknowledge that Armads kinda makes the user kinda die in battle somehow if you give it to someone.

Well, that was a thing added by FE7, and I'd personally rather just see that part removed from FE7, since it doesn't really add all that much IMO.