What changes would you make to Binding Blade in a potential remake?

21 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Would Bern have a small chance of winning though? Etruria is depicted as one of the two superpowers on Elibe but it always came across as the weaker one compared to Bern. That and by the time of FE6 it has fallen into a deep decline while Bern seems more powerful then ever. 

Bern is already stretched thin, fighting a war with Ilia, Sacae and Lycia at the same time. Adding on the second strongest nation on the continent wouldn’t be ideal for them. Even if they believed they could win, they would want to use a strategy that would result in fewer losses than a direct war. It’s stated after Chapter 8, that if Narcian’s troops fought Percival’s troops, they (Bern) would be slaughtered, and Narcian is one of the top generals of Bern, so clearly this wouldn’t be an easy fight for them.

Eturia being in a state of decline is exactly why Bern waits instead of going to war now.

Edited by Whisky

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the game is too vague here. The narration at the start of ch.9 states that Lycia was expecting another strike from Bern and that didn't understand Bern's full inactivity (neither attacking nor reacting to a peace offer). Directly afterwards (ch.10 or 11, depending on the route), we see Milady interacting with one of two Etrurian governours of the Western Isles - who will either cooperate with her or pretend to do so, which is clearly not what is supposed to happen considering how the situation seems to be. And following that, we learn of the assassination attempt on Myrrdin/Elphin and that the instigators are practically taking orders from Bern's military.

At that point, it's not a particularly big leap to say that Bern is planning to install a puppet ruler in Etruria and "conquer" them in that fashion. Seeking military conflict before that would only be a waste of resources.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Would Bern have a small chance of winning though? Etruria is depicted as one of the two superpowers on Elibe but it always came across as the weaker one compared to Bern. That and by the time of FE6 it has fallen into a deep decline while Bern seems more powerful then ever. 

I think it's more since Bern is already still fighting rebels and such in Sacae if I remember, Zephiel basically doesn't want to bite off more than he can chew. (A bit like how things went South for Hitler when he took on both Russia and Europe/America at the same time.)

I guess also in hindsight Roy having to kill a decent amount of Eturia forces during the Isles section probably made things easier.

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well they do end up losing after a handful of chapters after Etruria does commit to the war. And that's with their court still in disarray.

55 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well they do end up losing after a handful of chapters after Etruria does commit to the war. And that's with their court still in disarray.

I'm not sure who but doesn't some Etrurian points out that they are only the Etrurian army as a formality and that its Lycia which brings the bulk of the soldiers? I wanna say Klein. 

Almost everything. The main thing is, is make Roy able to promote sooner. I got screwed over my first playthrough because of that and had to play a new one. Also, make the beautiful Princess Guinevere playable in the main game.

Edited by SSbardock84

16 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I guess also in hindsight Roy having to kill a decent amount of Eturia forces during the Isles section probably made things easier.

but those forces are basically in the opposite direction of Bern, if anything that resulting in easier liberation of Isles people into creating their own country than losing to Bern. Since majority of troops from Klein (+ his harem of pegasus troop) and Percival division should mostly be intact.

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not sure who but doesn't some Etrurian points out that they are only the Etrurian army as a formality and that its Lycia which brings the bulk of the soldiers? I wanna say Klein. 

The narratives said that majority of soldier under Roy's command is Etrurian army which is why their troops become named as Etrurian army (previously lycian alliance) when fighting Bern directly. At the same time it doesnt make sense at all when you look at the playable roster

6 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

Also, make the beautiful Princess Guinevere playable in the main game.

i would be more shocked if she stayed unplayable in a remake. considering Cipher and Heroes already make Aureola her Prf weapon

2 hours ago, joevar said:

i would be more shocked if she stayed unplayable in a remake. considering Cipher and Heroes already make Aureola her Prf weapon

Actually, that would be a solid reason to not include her. Aureola is optional, it would be a bit like if Forblaze was not a story-weapon in FE7.

3 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

Actually, that would be a solid reason to not include her. Aureola is optional, it would be a bit like if Forblaze was not a story-weapon in FE7.

uhh what? then how would we get the true ending? do you suggest aureola become unusable like eckesachs because the canon user is not playable?

Sure Forblaze in FE7 is optional because we already have ARmads and durandal, but theres only one dragon that you totally need to use it anyway. its different situation for FE6 if we want to exclude aureola because of unplayable character

Edited by joevar

6 hours ago, joevar said:

but those forces are basically in the opposite direction of Bern, if anything that resulting in easier liberation of Isles people into creating their own country than losing to Bern. Since majority of troops from Klein (+ his harem of pegasus troop) and Percival division should mostly be intact.

The narratives said that majority of soldier under Roy's command is Etrurian army which is why their troops become named as Etrurian army (previously lycian alliance) when fighting Bern directly. At the same time it doesnt make sense at all when you look at the playable roster

Long story short I actually ended up killing Percival and his troops in my playthrough (I forgot anyone who could possibly recruit him so I had to take him down.), even if they're in the opposite direction, it's still less forces that can be sent over to attack Bern.

4 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

I think they could still keep Aureola optional, sure it could be I guess suggested in dialogue to give it to her but the player could still be free to give it to anyone. (Kinda like the Echoes Classes I guess>)

2 hours ago, joevar said:

Sure Forblaze in FE7 is optional because we already have ARmads and durandal, but theres only one dragon that you totally need to use it anyway. its different situation for FE6 if we want to exclude aureola because of unplayable character

Forblaze is not optional and I said keep Guinivere out if the main reason for her inclusion would be an optional weapon. I never said anything about the weapon itself.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, Axie said:

GAMEPLAY:

- add the unpromoted light magic user class (but actually i am not sure if saul should be its user as it's always been said? i like the idea of just adding a new character? a woman even? norne it up tbh. on the other hand three staff users by chapter 6 has always been way overkill)

- make roy promote after chapter 16 - i wouldn't give him a horse because not everything is about efficiency lol but i'd give him a second weapon - or staves if this remake did mixed classes

- remove merlinus from gameplay

STORY

- ......... remove merlinus from the story too? distribute his role to marcus, wolt, lilina, an old shoe? he is a character only because of an outdated gameplay decision, and he is a bad character who takes up too much air. marcus deserves it way more.

-What about put the Monk Class in The Binding Blade remake since that class did first appeared in The Blazing Blade since the Monk class does use Light Magic?

-What about adding a third tier class in The Binding Blade remake? That might give Roy promoted to the Great Lord class in Chapter 16 instead of Chapter 21 and Chapter 21 that will might give Roy a 3rd Tier Lord Class that be promoted after Great Lord?

-I don't think they should remove Merlinus in the game since you need him for Convery and plus, he is one of Roy's tacticians as well. I do think they should give him a weapon like in Fire Emblem Heroes as an improvement in The Binding Blade remake along with The Blazing Blade remake as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

On 11/19/2020 at 2:03 AM, German FE Nino said:

Forblaze is not optional and I said keep Guinivere out if the main reason for her inclusion would be an optional weapon. I never said anything about the weapon itself.

sounds like you're contradicting yourself to me. its not because the weapon so she must be included, but rather now they give her a weapon possibly means they want to include her as a playable. its just the means, not the reason. if that didnt make sense, then just the change the reasoning for her inclusion into: because she's there with Roy army most of the game, barring the western isles. (and since now she has a weapon that she can wield (no casual player would know she has actual stat in game), she can contribute to the actual fighting, hence the aureola connection)

maybe you misunderstand since i said it as"prf weapon" while im not specifically meant it as locked weapon for individual

or if you want to take it further, its the reverse merlinus situation. where he's playable but dont have weapon. but now they give him one because he's playable so you can use it in fight.

and im sure you perfectly knows why she's unplayable in FE6

Edited by joevar

Guinevere not being combat trained is hardly a hard thing to believe, and Cipher and Heroes aren't sources to take as canon. Armads also isn't canon for Dieck, even though his cipher card shows him wielding it.

Even if Guinevere were added as a playable character (which tbh I wouldn't mind either way), I wouldn't imply her being the 'canon wielder' of Aureola. Having the player decide who wields it without pushing anyone either way would be best.

That does make me wonder, would it be a good thing if they went the PoR way and made staves/light magic 1 rank instead of 2? Certainly helps in the amount of possible wielders of Aureola.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 2:14 AM, LightingChaos said:

make the game playable because goddamn every chapter is a fucking test of mental strength 

late response but how the hell is binding blade "unplayable" because each chapter is a quote "test of mental strength"

1 hour ago, sunstarsage said:

late response but how the hell is binding blade "unplayable" because each chapter is a quote "test of mental strength"

I think every chapter is an exaggeration but some of the late-game chapters really, really aren't fun to play in my experience.

Getting sniped with a high-accuracy sleep/silence staff that's so far the entire screen needs to scroll twice just to see the guy is a bit trial and error. (Since No new player is going to assume staves get THAT much range.)

Add in the fact half the time these dudes charge down towards with with a whole bunch of other guys after about 7-8 turns and the game turns into extreme turtling out these guys. (And I like turtling in FE but when every chapter essentially turns into having to the turtle status-staves that are certain death if you don't or Siege Tomes that are also almost certain death, it gets old, fast.)

Also Sacae, what a circle of random ambush spawns around the boss isn't good game design? and that Fort I was using for healing turning out to have Ambush Spawn Nomads over 10 turns in totally isn't an unfair move.

Edited by Samz707

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Getting sniped with a high-accuracy sleep/silence staff that's so far the entire screen needs to scroll twice just to see the guy is a bit trial and error. (Since No new player is going to assume staves get THAT much range.)

thats only in hard mode (i think?). since i dont remember using utility staff like restore when playing normal decade ago. and i played with no one allowed to die mentality

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Add in the fact half the time these dudes charge down towards with with a whole bunch of other guys after about 7-8 turns and the game turns into extreme turtling out these guys. (And I like turtling in FE but when every chapter essentially turns into having to the turtle status-staves that are certain death if you don't or Siege Tomes that are also almost certain death, it gets old, fast.)

cant argue with this tho, i thought it was the norm having that many enemy charge you at once (especially ch.21). then i realized never encounter that kind of thing in another game ever again, except maybe game like total war or RTS, but not in turn based SRPG

i dont go near sacae (thank God), so i dunno

7 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I think every chapter is an exaggeration but some of the late-game chapters really, really aren't fun to play in my experience.

Also Sacae, what a circle of random ambush spawns around the boss isn't good game design? and that Fort I was using for healing turning out to have Ambush Spawn Nomads over 10 turns in totally isn't an unfair move.

Players playing this game right after Thracia would absolutely think staves have that much range. That being said I can't think of any chapter that's particularly bad with status staves in Binding Blade. The only chapter in that game that really makes me want to just not play it is the Apocalypse Gaiden for its fog of war trap combination and for the fact that it comes right after the best map in the game yet right before Roy's promotion when I just want to get the dang Binding Blade already.

the three last gaiden chapter have enemy with status staves. the worst one is Maltet i think. the one with 4 level of walls that you need to get thru but somehow force split your army, the druid conveniently placed in the center. so it can pick your heavy hitter with berserk, that happen to be without a healer with restore staff.

in short, it force you to turtle, counter-status or use siege tome fast like @Samz707said

but man whoever didnt get pissed because the game pulled a "hey the BB is there for you to pick, but lets go to other part of dungeon first" so you can enjoy carrying roy one more time

Edited by joevar

The solution to status staves is just to have a lot more restore staves available. They can also be D rank and give Sages/Druids D Staves instead of E on promotion. So don't do what Thracia did when it didn't give you Restores until after the first enemy Sleep Staff.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, Stones said:

The solution to status staves is just to have a lot more restore staves available. They can also be D rank and give Sages/Druids D Staves instead of E on promotion. So don't do what Thracia did when it didn't give you Restores until after the first enemy Sleep Staff.

the amount of restore staves available is not the problem, you can just buy it in bulk when it appears in shop, but with only 1range and C requirement, thats where problem comes. it leaves you with only primary healer that can readily use it without heavy grind for magician. ideally you only bring 2 healer (priest or troubador + priest)

someone got berserk'ed while away from healer? pray hard its not rutger or a paladin. gaiden chapter encourage you to split up and you actually do it? oh boi, you're in for a treat.

its all manageable by turtling, but thats it. Turtle-ing.

14 minutes ago, joevar said:

but with only 1range and C requirement, thats where problem comes.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like someone should have a prf staff that lets them restore from range or something, as well as someone with an anti-status skill, (Like Boon in FE10) and Staff Savant as a skill.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, I agree. I feel like someone should have a prf staff that lets them restore from range or something, as well as someone with an anti-status skill, (Like Boon in FE10) and Staff Savant as a skill.

Not having every Sage start with E Rank in staffs sucks a bit too.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Not having every Sage start with E Rank in staffs sucks a bit too.

Yep. I'd have classes start at C/D at the very least and make Weapon Ranks much faster, although neither idea is exactly controversial.

Edited by Benice

On 12/4/2020 at 10:41 PM, joevar said:

someone got berserk'ed while away from healer?

On 12/4/2020 at 10:41 PM, joevar said:

its all manageable by turtling, but thats it. Turtle-ing.

Or, you know, good unit placement, which also completely chesses status staves and allows you to progress forward.

The status staves are easily dealt with. You get three earlygame healers, and if you are using even one of them, you are guaranteed to have a restore user. Not only this, but you can get two restore staves before status staves show up, and, there are shops with restore staves (although 2k gold is a little much), and when the game brings mroe status stave spam, it gives you Cecilia, who can use restore, Niime, the best staff user in the game, Yoder, who can use a mapwide full heal and restore staff. The game gives you resources to deal with status staves, and I like them the way they are because they reward good unit placement if you want to avoid turtling.