What changes would you make to Binding Blade in a potential remake?

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 10:31 AM, Quell said:

I feel like you are all missing the point of remaking the game. It's so strange, I've seen a lot of people hoping for more drastic changes for the other competitor for a remake, aka FE4, when the game needs little in terms of changes and more in terms of enhancements and polishing. Lots of polishing, I give you that (that game feels OOOOLD), but not "cutting the maps up" like quite a few suggest. On the other hand FE6 needs work, lots of work, lots and lots of changes and even more work: for FE4 the groundwork has been done, FE6 on the other hand does not have a strange base over which rebuild the game. Ambush spawns, character rebalance, Hit Rates etc. etc. etc. are really minor in comparison, this game wasn't worth the 40$ at time it certainly isn't worthed the 60$ of a switch game, especially one so overhyped (thanks to smash). The games severely lacks content, even considering the trial maps there're at most ~35 chapters in the game, which might seems a lot but it's way less than pretty much all the following games (aside from the DS ones iirc). Not only that, the main gameplay loop is bringing Roy from point A to point B for every single one of them, and while some of them vary, they are usually incredibly linear with one clear path leading to the end. The game needs content, even at the cost of sacrificing stuff like voiced support conversations, because it lacks it. I love this game to death, I appreciate the more simplistic approach to the formula but it sticking to said formula to a T does more harm than good.

But all of this is rumbling, let me address for example what is considered the worst map in the game: Chapter 14 aka Arcadia. I personally don't dislike this map, I think 22 is worse for example, but I understand where people is coming from. FoW in GBAmblems is still stupid, the fact that the enemy can always see you is a terrible decision and withholding information from you, probably the most important resource in your disposal, is quite the questionable move. So how would I go to change it? Well, I would make it a defence map. After all that's basically what you are doing so why not having you stay inside Arcadia to protect it from Bern and the Bandits? It also would make slogging through the desert not required, which would improve the pacing by quite a bit.

Hard disagree. Most of what you cite there is what makes Binding Blade great and is specifically what I'd like them to keep. Usually I'm of the opinion that developers have too much restraint when it comes to remake and should change a lot more, otherwise what's the point in remaking it when the old game already exists. But in the case of The Binding Blade, it's already a great game. And I've personally made a rebalance hack of the game, but that was mostly for the fun of having the same old experience in a new way.

And Arcadia isn't anywhere near as bad as the Apocalypse chapter imo.

23 hours ago, Benice said:

Unless I am mistaken, (Spoiled for size)

•   Hide contents

• FE1 has 25 maps
    • FE2 is one I am uncertain about, but roughly 30 is my guess.
    • FE3 has 43 maps
    • FE14 has 12
    • FE5 has 35
    • FE6 has 40 unique maps, excluding trial maps; 32 main chapters, (Due to the 11/12 and 16-20x route splits) and eight gaidens. Techincally, there are 41, but the last map is just Idunn, so I'm excluding it. One could play as few as 22 maps in any given playthrough, and up to 32.
    • FE7 has a total of 38 unique maps, counting all the gaidens and Lyn mode, some of which aren't really maps, (Such as most of Lyn Mode being a tutorial and Battle Preparations not having any enemies.)
    • FE8 has 28 maps, counting the lone gaiden and route split.
    • FE9 has 33 unique maps, counting all four parts of chapter 17
    • FE10...Has a lot. Over 50, I think. Regardless, easily more than anything else thus far.
    • FE11 has 34 maps, including all gaidens and the prologue.
    • FE12 has 41 unique maps, including all gaidens
    • FE13 has a whopping 74 maps, but I don't know how many are unique, and some are DLC.
    • Fates has a total of 81 unique maps across the three routes
    • FE15: I actually don't know, but a lot of the maps are more or less the same. Still, I'd guess about  40~?
    • FE16: 36 maps across the four routes.

So FE6 is actually in the upper echelon of number of maps total. I do agree that things like Gaidens should have been much more obvious, though.

Old Mystery has 43, split across two across two campaigns, and some of them are reused. Fates likewise reuses maps too. So youre counting all the maps avilable in the game period for those (and considering Fates is three purchases, all the maps in three seperate games), so itd only be right to count Binding Blade Trial maps if your outright counting all the chapters the game provides (especially since you counted Awakenings DLC). Also Radiant Dawn has just over forty maps (43 to be precise, counting the end game as five and raise the standard as two), and I think less than Blazing Blade, though I thought Blazing Blade had more than Binding Blade. Let me have a quick glance. Yeah, Blazing Blade has 43 maps (so equal to Radiant Dawn, though with some much shorter maps given Lyn mode), I reckon you were counting for Eliwood mode which has a few less than Hector Mode (so in other words equal to Radiant Dawn).

I don't think Binding Blade is particularly in need of maps, it's much longer a game than Sacred Stones ends up being for a playthrough, that's the only game in the series I feel needs more maps (and most of that feeling would dissipate if you could actually play Eirika and Ephraim route parallel like in Gaiden), but I wouldn't at all object if they gave us mini campaigns showing what's happening in other parts of the world, like Hector's last stand or some kind of new subplot for Lyn and Etruria.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

A Binding Blade remake should make the Hugh glitch canon.

funny joke but in all seriousness this won't happen as it was only with a certain translation patch, so I doubt this would be a thing.

48 minutes ago, Hello72207 said:

funny joke but in all seriousness this won't happen as it was only with a certain translation patch, so I doubt this would be a thing.

It would make him a far, far more intersting character if he did have a crazy high magic stat, because as he is he comes so late and is so under level he rivals even Sophia for being a pain to train.

33 minutes ago, Jotari said:

t would make him a far, far more intersting character if he did have a crazy high magic stat, because as he is he comes so late and is so under level he rivals even Sophia for being a pain to train.

this is a terrible conparation. Sophia gets oneshot/onerounded by every enemy, has terrible accuracy, and is way underleveled. Hugh doesn't get doubled, has fairly good durability for a mage, and can be instapromoted if you want him too.

20 minutes ago, Hello72207 said:

this is a terrible conparation. Sophia gets oneshot/onerounded by every enemy, has terrible accuracy, and is way underleveled. Hugh doesn't get doubled, has fairly good durability for a mage, and can be instapromoted if you want him too.

Yes Sophia is worse, but there:s a diminishing returns issue there (though I find that more to be based on Sophia:s accuracy issues than her durability, as you can just have her avoid getting hit if youre careful). Hes still just a pain to train in general is what I mean. Course I don:t think I ever felt motivated to shell out the cash for his maximum stat states (doesn:t seem worth it in a game with better mage options and buyable stat boosters).

On 2/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, Quell said:

I feel like you are all missing the point of remaking the game.

thats a very bold claim. in other perspective everyone might agree you're the only one who's wrong

I love this game to death, I appreciate the more simplistic approach to the formula but it sticking to said formula to a T does more harm than good

then you havent read many people opinion, only skim through it. sticking to formula generally accepted as the shortcoming of SoV by fans, and nothing so far indicate IS will do that again. Well, remake means usually means something fundamentals, or at least many non fundamentals underwent changes small or big.

but love something too much and you become closer to hate and complaint about it more than average people

Lots of polishing, I give you that (that game feels OOOOLD), but not "cutting the maps up" like quite a few suggest. On the other hand FE6 needs work, lots of work, lots and lots of changes and even more work: for FE4 the groundwork has been done, FE6 on the other hand does not have a strange base over which rebuild the game. Ambush spawns, character rebalance, Hit Rates etc. etc. etc. are really minor in comparison, this game wasn't worth the 40$ at time it certainly isn't worthed the 60$ of a switch game, especially one so overhyped (thanks to smash). The games severely lacks content, even considering the trial maps there're at most ~35 chapters in the game, which might seems a lot but it's way less than pretty much all the following games (aside from the DS ones iirc).

lots of polishing yes. thats what so many people been saying here already....

but, what do you mean by FE4 already done ground work, and strange (strange or strong?) base ???

its also funny when you compare it to FE4 which have less (but bigger) maps. say, even if you cut that map into 4 part, its still a part of same skirmishes. while FE6 keep changing setting in almost each map. then you claim it lack content

"overhyped means not worth the price"? that is basically what often happen in market ... but lets discuss the price if the game actually release at all

Edited by joevar

oh yeah, hugh. for him to be worth 10k in a remake he should have some monster bases. his 5k bases should be more akin to his current 10k bases since they are already not that special.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:44 AM, Axie said:

- any base weapon rank for a promoted class being E (except for staves) is stupid. not a fe6 specific complaint, but it's worse here since it's a game without constant reclassing or grinding. make them Ds so they are worth using. ain't nobody got time to be stuck with irons or a stupid fire tome.

The real problem here is that weapon ranks are so very slow to rise. In this game, It takes 50 attacks to raise weapon rank by 1, -1 for killing blows. Contrast literally every other FE game since, barring 3H and SoV. Even in Shadow Dragon onwards, where weapon experience was on a combat round basis, raising weapon ranks was never that slow. 

On 11/16/2020 at 9:01 PM, joevar said:

- Evading a legendary spell tome that covers the entire screen didnt make sense (evading a meteor? ok fine. but a black hole and literal god rays? what even...)

On a tangential note, Radiant Dawn has one spell that is literally an ocean of fire (Rexflame), and another is pretty much Fimbulvetr from the GBA games, but playing out in reverse (Rexcalibur). Those, too, are spells that one cannot realistically dodge.

Edited by Shadow Mir

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The real problem here is that weapon ranks are so very slow to rise. In this game, It takes 50 attacks to raise weapon rank by 1, -1 for killing blows. Contrast literally every other FE game since, barring 3H and SoV. Even in Shadow Dragon onwards, where weapon experience was on a combat round basis, raising weapon ranks was never that slow. 

that's also a problem a remake should fix, but starting at E rank already annoys me in fates where it doesn't grow that slowly (20 wexp from E to D only!). i just don't see the point. secondary weapons should increase the combat possibilities of a character. using a different iron weapon doesn't increase anyone's combat possibilities lol. only staves i am fine with starting at E because just using heal is already helping and D is too close to C, which starts to make unpromoted staff users obsolete.

then again, a remake should improve staff experience and use some current ideas, such as physic being C rank.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:20 AM, Axie said:

that's also a problem a remake should fix, but starting at E rank already annoys me in fates where it doesn't grow that slowly (20 wexp from E to D only!). i just don't see the point. secondary weapons should increase the combat possibilities of a character. using a different iron weapon doesn't increase anyone's combat possibilities lol. only staves i am fine with starting at E because just using heal is already helping and D is too close to C, which starts to make unpromoted staff users obsolete.

then again, a remake should improve staff experience and use some current ideas, such as physic being C rank.

At the same time, if new weapon ranks started at D in this game, I don't think that'd be much of an improvement, because steel weapons are rather inaccurate, or at least steel lances and steel axes. C at least would make secondary weapons worth using, as you gain access to killer weapons.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:31 PM, Quell said:

I feel like you are all missing the point of remaking the game. It's so strange, I've seen a lot of people hoping for more drastic changes for the other competitor for a remake, aka FE4, when the game needs little in terms of changes and more in terms of enhancements and polishing. Lots of polishing, I give you that (that game feels OOOOLD), but not "cutting the maps up" like quite a few suggest. On the other hand FE6 needs work, lots of work, lots and lots of changes and even more work: for FE4 the groundwork has been done, FE6 on the other hand does not have a strange base over which rebuild the game. Ambush spawns, character rebalance, Hit Rates etc. etc. etc. are really minor in comparison, this game wasn't worth the 40$ at time it certainly isn't worthed the 60$ of a switch game, especially one so overhyped (thanks to smash). The games severely lacks content, even considering the trial maps there're at most ~35 chapters in the game, which might seems a lot but it's way less than pretty much all the following games (aside from the DS ones iirc). Not only that, the main gameplay loop is bringing Roy from point A to point B for every single one of them, and while some of them vary, they are usually incredibly linear with one clear path leading to the end. The game needs content, even at the cost of sacrificing stuff like voiced support conversations, because it lacks it. I love this game to death, I appreciate the more simplistic approach to the formula but it sticking to said formula to a T does more harm than good.

But all of this is rumbling, let me address for example what is considered the worst map in the game: Chapter 14 aka Arcadia. I personally don't dislike this map, I think 22 is worse for example, but I understand where people is coming from. FoW in GBAmblems is still stupid, the fact that the enemy can always see you is a terrible decision and withholding information from you, probably the most important resource in your disposal, is quite the questionable move. So how would I go to change it? Well, I would make it a defence map. After all that's basically what you are doing so why not having you stay inside Arcadia to protect it from Bern and the Bandits? It also would make slogging through the desert not required, which would improve the pacing by quite a bit.

On the contrary, I'd say you're missing the point. To be honest, I think both Genealogy and Binding Blade need a lot of changes. HOWEVER, I think it's the other way around from what you're suggesting - ergo, whereas there is a lot of agreement over what needs fixing in Binding Blade, there's hardly a consensus as to what should be done about Genealogy, as some people want it to be overhauled, whereas others want as minimal changes as possible, and there's no middle ground.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, OriginalRaisins said:

The existence of bad units (as compared to the rest of your roster) actually helps with variance, especially when those bad units join your roster later than the units they supposedly replace. Units who join later with comparatively low stats can act as a "plan b" should your other units die or get poor levelups. The problem is when these late-joining units are so overwhelmingly powerful (eg, perceval and miledy) that they're actually the plan A, even if you haven't yet recruited them.

On the other extreme, we have Wendy. Even if we ignore that the giant maps make Binding Blade one of the worst games to be an armored unit in, there's still the fact that she comes underleveled, has godawful bases, joins right before a part where the game starts primarily using axe units... as I see it, even when accounting for the possibility that units may have died, using her is a very hard sell, as she's an even bigger pain to train than Sophia (and even if you didn't mind the weaknesses of an armored knight, there's Bors and Barth, both of whom are much easier to raise). Anyway, another issue I have with this is that even if I did lose a unit, this game is such that it might be easier to continue investing in the decent units I have left rather than trying to babysit a unit that probably won't justify the investment needed, and thus would likely wind up being a liability for the sake of filling up a deployment slot. I mean, sure, you could say "just use Oujay" if Dieck bites the dust, but depending on how far in the game this happened, that can quickly turn out to not be much of a solution unless you happened to have been using him anyway - something that I wouldn't exactly say is a guarantee, considering that even if I ignore Dieck, he's still outclassed by Fir and Rutger.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:49 AM, Shadow Mir said:

On the other extreme, we have Wendy. Even if we ignore that the giant maps make Binding Blade one of the worst games to be an armored unit in, there's still the fact that she comes underleveled, has godawful bases, joins right before a part where the game starts primarily using axe units... as I see it, even when accounting for the possibility that units may have died, using her is a very hard sell, as she's an even bigger pain to train than Sophia (and even if you didn't mind the weaknesses of an armored knight, there's Bors and Barth, both of whom are much easier to raise). Anyway, another issue I have with this is that even if I did lose a unit, this game is such that it might be easier to continue investing in the decent units I have left rather than trying to babysit a unit that probably won't justify the investment needed, and thus would likely wind up being a liability for the sake of filling up a deployment slot. I mean, sure, you could say "just use Oujay" if Dieck bites the dust, but depending on how far in the game this happened, that can quickly turn out to not be much of a solution unless you happened to have been using him anyway - something that I wouldn't exactly say is a guarantee, considering that even if I ignore Dieck, he's still outclassed by Fir and Rutger.

I never said that Wendy was good or that she's a solution to any problem. Quite the contrary, deploying Wendy is almost always strictly worse than not deploying Wendy. But is fe6 a worse game because they give you a bad unit? I would argue that no, Wendy existing and being bad does not make the game worse.

If you have fun training bad units or if the challenge of using her is appealing to you, then she makes the game better. If you don't like to use her, then just bench her and she might as well not exist. I treat Wendy as a challenge: here's a bad unit, find a way to make her useful. If you try hard and Wendy is still not useful, then you failed the challenge.

5 hours ago, OriginalRaisins said:

I never said that Wendy was good or that she's a solution to any problem. Quite the contrary, deploying Wendy is almost always strictly worse than not deploying Wendy. But is fe6 a worse game because they give you a bad unit? I would argue that no, Wendy existing and being bad does not make the game worse.

If you have fun training bad units or if the challenge of using her is appealing to you, then she makes the game better. If you don't like to use her, then just bench her and she might as well not exist. I treat Wendy as a challenge: here's a bad unit, find a way to make her useful. If you try hard and Wendy is still not useful, then you failed the challenge.

I would agree with this if it were for one crucial thing every game in the series does, which is hide growth rates. For a blind player who doesn't obsessively read about these games on the internet, Wendy could potentially be a good unit. Her bases suck, but maybe she's a super growth unit (she's not). I don't think the games can really give us bad units in good faith so long as the game is also hiding exactly how bad they are from the player (and yes, bases are far more important than growths, but growths have some relevance too). Fortunately we do have people who have cracked open the games and made this information freely available, but it shouldn't be our job to learn about important stuff the games have just flat out kept a secret from us for over thirty years.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, Shadow Mir said:

It takes 50 attacks to raise weapon rank by 1, -1 for killing blows

Do killing blows even increase the value? I only know that the internal value for them is set to be 1 weapon exp, but I don't know if it is added to the regular gain or not.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, Jotari said:

I would agree with this if it were for one crucial thing every game in the series does, which is hide growth rates. For a blind player who doesn't obsessively read about these games on the internet, Wendy could potentially be a good unit. Her bases suck, but maybe she's a super growth unit (she's not). I don't think the games can really give us bad units in good faith so long as the game is also hiding exactly how bad they are from the player (and yes, bases are far more important than growths, but growths have some relevance too). Fortunately we do have people who have cracked open the games and made this information freely available, but it shouldn't be our job to learn about important stuff the games have just flat out kept a secret from us for over thirty years.

If they bring back the Augury from FE7, this could be a good use for that. The fortune-teller could analyze a unit's growths, describing in which areas they "have great potential", and where they "are likely to struggle". Similar to the IV checker from Gen VI Pokemon, if anyone is familiar with that - or the Love checker from Genealogy. Of course, it'd be less exact than simply displaying the growth rates - but it would provide an in-universe explanation.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:20 AM, Axie said:

If a Fighter becomes a Hero (not possible in FE6, but possible in more recent games, and might be possible in a remake), then getting E-Swords gives them a weapon option with good hit rates - particularly against Sword- and Axe-wielding enemies. On the flip side, a Fighter becoming a Warrior, and getting E-Bows, gives them a stronger option against fliers. And part of the motivation of using the E-ranks is getting to the higher-might, or effective, options at higher ranks - if a Sword user gets E-Lances, that's still good for giving them a window into D-Lances, and Javelins. Plus, Fates isn't the best counter-example - Bronze weapons are cheap to forge, giving them Might comparable to higher ranks, while the +10 Dodge is a boon in its own right.

40 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Plus, Fates isn't the best counter-example - Bronze weapons are cheap to forge, giving them Might comparable to higher ranks, while the +10 Dodge is a boon in its own right.

i know that, and that's the point! even in those conditions, starting at E for new weapons annoys me! imagine in previous games! i don't think you could make any point that could convince me secondary weapons starting at E is NOT a chore. i basically train them out of spite most of the time lol.

also, it doesn't help that from BlaBla to PoR, effectiveness was 2x, undermining even the bows-for-warriors point. a better point in BinBla but then i don't wanna use any warriors in it 😞

On 2/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, OriginalRaisins said:

And that's my point. If a unit is so shit they struggle to contribute in their joining chapter, never mind later on, something is seriously wrong. In any instance, most of the bad units in this franchise don't take nearly as much effort to raise as she does. What in the name of Eternatus am I supposed to do to raise her? Savescum? Waste two more unit slots on terrible units AND hope they can surround a unit knowing this is a game with extremely big maps (not on Holy War's level of big, of course, but still)???

4 hours ago, German FE Nino said:

Do killing blows even increase the value? I only know that the internal value for them is set to be 1 weapon exp, but I don't know if it is added to the regular gain or not.

A fatal hit doubles the wexp gain.

1 hour ago, Axie said:

also, it doesn't help that from BlaBla to PoR, effectiveness was 2x, undermining even the bows-for-warriors point. a better point in BinBla but then i don't wanna use any warriors in it 😞

That's only true of the localized versions of those two games. In Sacred Stones, the localizations kept triple weapon effectiveness.

Anyway, I agree that raising ranks from E is a "chore", but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you want to build a unit a certain way, it makes sense that you have to work for it. I do agree with making the margins between weapon ranks "telescope", so to speak - like, 10 from E to D, 20 from D to C, 40 from C to B, and so on. Maybe change the "Arms Scroll", too, so instead of boosting a full rank, it gives a set amount of WEXP. I think E-rank hell should be brief, but it should continue to exist, at least for some units. But that could be a matter of tastes.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

And that's my point. If a unit is so shit they struggle to contribute in their joining chapter, never mind later on, something is seriously wrong. In any instance, most of the bad units in this franchise don't take nearly as much effort to raise as she does. What in the name of Eternatus am I supposed to do to raise her? Savescum? Waste two more unit slots on terrible units AND hope they can surround a unit knowing this is a game with extremely big maps (not on Holy War's level of big, of course, but still)???

It is kind of hilarious that two of the units with the least movement (Wendy and Barth... Bath... Bart? IDK) join on the map that basically requires the most walking.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:24 PM, OriginalRaisins said:

I join Jotari and third this notion. Bad units are there to use if you enjoy setting up kills and such. Some people like to throw Perceval at the enemies and win, some people like to perform elaborate rescue trains, and some people like to play poorly. Having a bad unit to raise might not do much to increase your strategic options, but you do get a new experience in trying to raise them.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, Shadow Mir said:

What in the name of Eternatus am I supposed to do to raise her?

Poke archers with a slim lance. If that doesn't sound fun to you...then don't do it.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I join Jotari and third this notion. Bad units are there to use if you enjoy setting up kills and such. Some people like to throw Perceval at the enemies and win, some people like to perform elaborate rescue trains, and some people like to play poorly. Having a bad unit to raise might not do much to increase your strategic options, but you do get a new experience in trying to raise them.

Poke archers with a slim lance. If that doesn't sound fun to you...then don't do it.

Well I said I would support the idea if they didn't hide growths from us.

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

It is the year of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ two-thousand and twenty one. Just look up the growth rates.

Well, I do, but that doesn't make it good design that the game isn't telling me.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:56 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

If they bring back the Augury from FE7, this could be a good use for that. The fortune-teller could analyze a unit's growths, describing in which areas they "have great potential", and where they "are likely to struggle". Similar to the IV checker from Gen VI Pokemon, if anyone is familiar with that - or the Love checker from Genealogy. Of course, it'd be less exact than simply displaying the growth rates - but it would provide an in-universe explanation.

That would be cool, I really like the Augury in 7 for..well, actually being useful.

In 6 it just tells your general ranking stats while in 7 you get a bit of an idea of what's ahead of you from most of them.

So yeah a  thing that at least tells you if someone is "Good, medicore or bad" in stats growths could be cool.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Plot-twist, Wendy is now a unique Cavalier Armored Knight, trading most of the default durability away for more movement tiles, just give her more movement tiles.

I said it somewhat as a joke but it could be interesting if a Remake balances Wendy by actually giving her more movement (maybe buff her defense a bit) and she in-universe is wearing less armor so she can move more tiles than a normal armor knight ,so trading durability for getting to fights quicker.

Edited by Samz707