What changes would you make to Binding Blade in a potential remake?

15 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Plot-twist, Wendy is now a unique Cavalier Armored Knight, trading most of the default durability away for more movement tiles, just give her more movement tiles.

I said it somewhat as a joke but it could be interesting if a Remake balances Wendy by actually giving her more movement (maybe buff her defense a bit) and she in-universe is wearing less armor so she can move more tiles than a normal armor knight ,so trading durability for getting to fights quicker.

I would change weapon access somewhat. I'm thinking, give Wendy Swords, and Bors/Bartre Axes, in addition to their innate Lances. They could do this generally, as female and male Armor Knights are aready distinct classes. Then give Generals the full weapon triangle, like in FE8.

Conversely, I would take Axes away from Paladins, and split Cavaliers in twain: Lance Cav (Alan, Lance, Treck), and Sword Cav (Noah). The fact that the most mobile class also gets the most weapon types is... genuinely baffling.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I would change weapon access somewhat. I'm thinking, give Wendy Swords, and Bors/Bartre Axes, in addition to their innate Lances. They could do this generally, as female and male Armor Knights are aready distinct classes. Then give Generals the full weapon triangle, like in FE8.

Conversely, I would take Axes away from Paladins, and split Cavaliers in twain: Lance Cav (Alan, Lance, Treck), and Sword Cav (Noah). The fact that the most mobile class also gets the most weapon types is... genuinely baffling.

Seems a bit lobsidded to give three units the lance Cav class and only one unit the sword cav class. I know, Noah aside, they all come with higher lance ranks in Binding Blade, but changing that wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Especially for Alan or Lance so you can be introduced to Sword Cavalier and Lance Cavalier out the gate (and amusing as it is, Lance is usually depicted with a sword over, well, a lance, in artwork).

Edited by Jotari

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, Shadow Mir said:

. What in the name of Eternatus am I supposed to do to raise her? Savescum? Waste two more unit slots on terrible units AND hope they can surround a unit knowing this is a game with extremely big maps (not on Holy War's level of big, of course, but still)???

(Bit late to the replies but I got busy lately)

Unironically, yes. If you don't find that fun, then don't do it. You're never forced to use Wendy - even if you care about survival rank (is that a thing? I can't remember) it's not too difficult to move her and keep her alive against reinforcements. The game has so many options, and so many good options, that I fail to see how the existence of a bad option makes the game worse. The fact that you can articulate why she's bad and what you would need to do to train her shows that she's well-designed. 

11 hours ago, OriginalRaisins said:

(Bit late to the replies but I got busy lately)

Unironically, yes. If you don't find that fun, then don't do it. You're never forced to use Wendy - even if you care about survival rank (is that a thing? I can't remember) it's not too difficult to move her and keep her alive against reinforcements. The game has so many options, and so many good options, that I fail to see how the existence of a bad option makes the game worse. The fact that you can articulate why she's bad and what you would need to do to train her shows that she's well-designed. 

Are you kidding me? Even if I'm not forced to use her, the fact that the effort needed to raise her is just plain absurd is a facet of terrible game design. Most of the worst units in other games don't force me to go out of my way to the extent she does.

56 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Even if I'm not forced to use her, the fact that the effort needed to raise her is just plain absurd is a facet of terrible game design.

It's not, though. Some people, such as myself, enjoy using units like Wendy simply because she's bad. Similarly, some people like using units like Seth and Pent because they're good. I don't, but I can't complain about Seth or Pent because I am not obligated to use them if I don't want to.

59 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Most of the worst units in other games don't force me to go out of my way to the extent she does.

The game's not forcing you to go out of your way at all, though. Just bench her if you don't like her.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:22 PM, Jotari said:

Seems a bit lobsidded to give three units the lance Cav class and only one unit the sword cav class. I know, Noah aside, they all come with higher lance ranks in Binding Blade, but changing that wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Especially for Alan or Lance so you can be introduced to Sword Cavalier and Lance Cavalier out the gate (and amusing as it is, Lance is usually depicted with a sword over, well, a lance, in artwork).

Getting back to this super late, but honestly I'm flexible on the exact numbers. I wouldn't object to making either Alan or Lance a Sword Cavalier, too. Although, if we're considering total "weapon balance", keep in mind that a bunch of early-game units (Roy, Dieck, Chad, Rutger, Astohl, Ogier) are sword-locked. Whereas, with my proposed Armor Knight reform, only one early unit (Shanna), outside of the Cavs in question, will be lance-locked. So an imbalance between the Cav types can be argued as "correcting" a wider imbalance.

46 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Getting back to this super late, but honestly I'm flexible on the exact numbers. I wouldn't object to making either Alan or Lance a Sword Cavalier, too. Although, if we're considering total "weapon balance", keep in mind that a bunch of early-game units (Roy, Dieck, Chad, Rutger, Astohl, Ogier) are sword-locked. Whereas, with my proposed Armor Knight reform, only one early unit (Shanna), outside of the Cavs in question, will be lance-locked. So an imbalance between the Cav types can be argued as "correcting" a wider imbalance.

The real answer is actually to turn Ogier into lance infantry.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The real answer is actually to turn Ogier into lance infantry.

No, we need a more dramatic reform. You know how thieves have long skulked around with short swords, practically daggers beneath theif cloak? Well I say, no more! All thieves in the Roymake must fight with big honkin' lances equipped. Who needs stealth, when you can use your lance like a vaulting pole, to jump over obstinate walls? Why carry a lockpick, when you can instead pry the chest open? I'm telling you, big obnoxious spears are the way of the future for our burgling buddies.

23 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

No, we need a more dramatic reform. You know how thieves have long skulked around with short swords, practically daggers beneath theif cloak? Well I say, no more! All thieves in the Roymake must fight with big honkin' lances equipped. Who needs stealth, when you can use your lance like a vaulting pole, to jump over obstinate walls? Why carry a lockpick, when you can instead pry the chest open? I'm telling you, big obnoxious spears are the way of the future for our burgling buddies.

I am unable to refute your point. Therefore this idea is genius.

My take on balance is that it's pointless to try to "fix" the roster's balance without completely overhauling the game into something completely different. So instead i'd rather just focus on making it so that if a player wants to use a suboptimal unit out of their own volition, that they don't have a frustrating time, which is how it can be to use such units in FE6. So i wouldn't bother trying to make someone like Wendy/Gwendolyn outright good or top-tier, i'd just want it so that if i decided to use her i don't have an annoying time.

There's also other things that might be introduced into the game that we can take into account, i could easily see IS adding a Skill system, even if it's a relatively minor one compared to something like TH or Fates, and that still having a significant impact. Or reclassing, just something as small as a system where one unit can change class to one other class and nothing more could still have a big impact on unit viability.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:15 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Who needs stealth, when you can use your lance like a vaulting pole, to jump over obstinate walls? Why carry a lockpick, when you can instead pry the chest open? I'm telling you, big obnoxious spears are the way of the future for our burgling buddies.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:04 AM, Jotari said:

I am unable to refute your point. Therefore this idea is genius.

I think it should be an option to use Hammers to smash the locks off of things.

The pole vaulting idea is absolutely brilliant, that better be a skill in a tabletop game or something.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:17 AM, Benice said:

It's not, though. Some people, such as myself, enjoy using units like Wendy simply because she's bad. Similarly, some people like using units like Seth and Pent because they're good. I don't, but I can't complain about Seth or Pent because I am not obligated to use them if I don't want to.

The game's not forcing you to go out of your way at all, though. Just bench her if you don't like her.

I agree almost completely. I would disagree on Seth and Pent and say that units being too good can actually be a problem due to dominant strategy, but it's not the worst thing in Fire Emblem since you have to consciously elect to deploy those units and I'm aware of how busted they are.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 AM, Murozaki said:

My take on balance is that it's pointless to try to "fix" the roster's balance without completely overhauling the game into something completely different. So instead i'd rather just focus on making it so that if a player wants to use a suboptimal unit out of their own volition, that they don't have a frustrating time, which is how it can be to use such units in FE6. So i wouldn't bother trying to make someone like Wendy/Gwendolyn outright good or top-tier, i'd just want it so that if i decided to use her i don't have an annoying time.

i agree with this. even if the game becomes something completely different i would rather have battle/maps that can take advantage of weak unit rather than making them all good.

something like operating a tactical or strategic device, solving a relatively easy puzzle that takes up a unit (so you wont have a harder time choosing who dont get exp), or anything thats not reliant on stats (but skill, maybe)

On 3/23/2021 at 11:15 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

i say YES to this idea. that would be a big brain moment for games like this. no need to fear someone shoot an arrow at you when vaulting too since its turn based XD

On 3/25/2021 at 7:30 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

I agree almost completely. I would disagree on Seth and Pent and say that units being too good can actually be a problem due to dominant strategy, but it's not the worst thing in Fire Emblem since you have to consciously elect to deploy those units and I'm aware of how busted they are.

Hello there. I agree that having particularly strong units can hurt balance more than particularly weak units. I don’t understand why people claim that the existence of a weak unit that you aren’t forced to use if you don’t want to actively makes the game worse. The biggest example is Cath. I’ve seen people bring her up as an example of a useless unit for why Binding Blade is imbalanced. The developers were nice enough to add an extra Thief in case you got the other ones killed (which is very easy to do) and that makes the game worse? Okay.

As for particularly strong units. It depends on the enemies and the map design. There’s nothing inherently wrong with having 1 unit stronger then the others, as long as the game gives you situations where they need assistance from the weaker units. And I find Binding Blade to be particularly balanced in that regard, making weaker units more useful. This game forces your units to work together as a team far more than most FEs I’ve played where a single unit can clear out enemies by the dozens.

personally though, Wendy and Sophia are a bit too extreme for me. I think most units in Binding Blade are fine though.

16 hours ago, Whisky said:

personally though, Wendy and Sophia are a bit too extreme for me. I think most units in Binding Blade are fine though.

They are, uh...severe, to be sure. However, I think that's alright. They're like an extra challenge mode for the game.

• 8 months later...

I have a feeling some of these have been brought up but here are some changes I would like to see:

- Have Roy promote at the end of Chapter 16.

- Make all of the weapons that are enemy exclusive like the Brave Sword, Fenrir, Rune Sword, and Spear obtainable. I would also add some of the weapons from the later GBA games like the Longsword, Shine, Aura, Luna, and the Swordslayer. I also think they should include the promotion items from the other GBA games.

- Let Thieves promote.

• 6 months later...

The Binding Blade is one of my all-time favorite games, but it is massively flawed, so here's what I would want to change:

Fix both the hit rates and weapon xp. I'm not going to go through too much detail on this, because it's been said many times, but I also feel like FE7 style weapon xp gain would be super nice since I either had to grind on bosses or just end the game with low ranks for some of my characters in my other runs. 

I'd like to add 1 more Hero Crest to the game, as well as 3 obtainable Master Seals. Promotion items are tight, and if you want to promote more than a few units, your only option in base FE6 is to check out the chapter 16 secret shop. It would also be very nice to have some of the later promotion items on Zephiel and Brunnya and move them back a bit. Maybe the hero crest to Randy in Chapter 14, and the guiding ring to Arcado in Chapter 17.

Droppable items instead of stealables for some of the treasures would also be a welcome change, mostly just because I like it better that way. Stuff like the Delphi Shield and promotion items are very important, and not meeting stat benchmarks feels really bad. 

Rapid Fire Short Changes for the end:

- Get rid of ambush spawns

- Mess around with some character's bases and growths, especially mid game ones like Geese and Ogier to make them easier to train.

- Add an Iron Rune to the game to mitigate at least some of the +30 crit of enemy swordmasters 

- Either add an early Roy promote at Chapter 16, or let his base Lord class go up to level 35 and promote in Chapter 22

- Subtract gate/throne avoid by 10, which will make the bosses much easier to fight

And most importantly;

Remove Cecilia / Roy ending or make it platonic.

• 3 months later...

-Fix the weapon accuracy

-Make Roy promotable much earlier and give his Sword of Seals more uses

-Change the support growth system and make it like in echoes (making character perform action & stuff 1-3 cases away from each other inteas of making them stay next to each other for ages to gain supports convos)

-Add the weapon merge feature from FEDS

-Make support convos happen during preparation screen instead of doing them during the fight

-Keep the weapons/items shop on prep screen as well on higher difficulty, it's just annoying to do shores during a chapter...

-Give Roy an iron sword at the beginning so he's not forced to waste rapier uses against unarmored barbarians, it's not much but it would be good though.

-Making sniper a little bit better like giving them a 5 or 10% critical boost like in FEDS because Nomad Troopers are much better in almost every way than them.

-Maybe increase the bows ranges like they did in ember project since many of us considers bow users as among the worsts.

-Maybe also alternate class changes like in Sacred Stones?

-Skills and personaly skills could potentially be a nice touch also.

-Nerf some bosses...

• 4 months later...

1. Combine FE6 and FE7 into a single remake.

These games have virtually identical gameplay, which makes this an appealing choice. Doing a combination allows for the ability to do a generation system similar to Genealogy or Awakening, with parents from FE7 passing down abilities and stats to children in FE6. The issue is that unlike Genealogy or Awakening, not every character in FE7 has kids in FE6. I would rectify this by having some of the more generic, bland units in FE6 (of which there are many) to act similarly to Genealogy's "replacement" units. In Genealogy, if you don't pair up units and get their children, their children are replaced by somewhat generic replacement units who are generally weaker but still usable. FE6 could do something similar. For instance, if you pair up Oswin in FE7, you could get a new character in Chapter 8 of FE6 who is Oswin's child; if you don't pair up Oswin, you get Barth. Lance and/or Allan could be replaced by a child of Harken and Isadora. This change would not only create more unification between FE7 and FE6's stories, but also allow for the addition of more interesting new units to replace FE6's faceless horde of a cast. And for the singular diehard Barth fan out there, you can still get him, you just need to not marry Oswin or whoever in FE7.

I think the combination of FE7 and FE6 makes FE6's story a lot more interesting. Hector's death is more impactful, Zephiel is a more interesting character, and so on. Another change to FE6 I would make in this vein is to add Lyn as a playable character in FE6, perhaps as a prepromoted unit recruited in the middle of the game. It'd serve to make a fan favorite character feel more relevant.

2. Redesign the maps.

FE6 has some extremely large maps, which are often very boring due to their linear nature. I would shrink down many of the maps or redesign them entirely so that they have more varied map design. Chapter 8 is a great example. Cut off the entire eastern corridor, as it's only a waste of time. Remove the zigzagging corridor on the north of the map, too. Replace the second treasure room (past the throne room) with an enemy spawn point so there are reinforcements that appear behind your front lines, forcing you to adapt your strategy rather than tediously proceed down the map with your strongest units first. FE6 doesn't have droppable enemy items, so by adding those in you can replace the often extreme number of chests or villages that appear in certain chapters. So far, remakes have avoided map redesigns, but I think this game is one that needs it badly.

3. General QOL updates/rebalancing.

This one's already been talked to death: Increase hit rates, use a modern support system so you don't need to grind supports to read them, do some rebalancing, add skills. Let Roy promote earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good one, first, the obvious, ambush spawns must be gone. There is not a single instance of reinforcements in this game where they need to or it would make sense to make them move on the same turn they spawn, especially without any turnwheel mechanic. That's just cruel and cheap.

Secondly, supports are in this game, in case you didn't know. If you didn't, it's probably because they build at an absolutely glacial pace in this game. In a blind normal mode first playthrough it is unlikely that you unlock any more supports than those of characters you have since the beginning of the game, such as the Roy/Marcus support, or the lategame ones that build extremely fast like the Niime/Yodel support. Even then, you are unlikely to even unlock any A-rank supports. They should make supports more accessible, and probably make them build up by other means than just sitting besides eachother.

Furthermore, since FE6 was the first game to feature supports they are pretty shortwinded, Intsys should consider rewriting them to make them longer and bring them up to par with how they are nowadays. FE6's characters could do with some fleshing out.

Some characters that just never get used could use some buffs as well, Units such as Sophia and Wolt could use some buffed growth to atleast make them more viable if you decide to go through the trouble of training them, also make thieves able to promote into assassins smh my head.

Those are the most critical things to change IMO, otherwise I am mostly afraid of IntSys changing the game TOO much. Because yeah, FE6 laid the groundwork for how fire emblem plays today but it has a bunch of that old game jank that isn't for everyone but I love it for what it is. And I really appreciates how it sets itself apart from the other Fire Emblem games/GBAFE.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, Paper Jam said:

I'd like to see Eliwood recover from his illness and join Roy late in the game, and have a word with Zephiel too while he's at it.

Eliwood joining in his promoted FE7 class in the final chapter as a Gotoh archetype let's fucking gooooooooo

• 2 weeks later...

been thinking about a potential FE6 remake a lot recently but I think it's important that it would be done right without sacrificing what's in the base game!

new things I would add:
- Fates-style Reclassing. Reclass seal makes you the same level as 1 pre-determined class. Characters will have their same growths in their base class, but their internal growths would be different. I'm thinking something like, Pegasus knights could have a base 20% Strength growth, so Shanna would have a 10% personal strength growth. As a Knight with a hypothetical 30% base strength growth, she could have a 40% as a Knight, and while losing a lot of her Speed growth, she'd still be a uniquely speedy Knight while having her stats molded a bit more towards that class as well.

- Str/Mag Split with lots more magic-based weapons. Flame lance, Bolt axe, some more Wind tomes would be great.

- Skirmish maps accessible after every 4 gameplay chapters as "Downtime" (after Chapter 4, 8x, 12x, 16x, 20x, 23) where you can find bandits or grind, whatever. However, it'd work three houses style (2 maps only) until Chapter 23 where you can have infinite time to mess around. I like the idea of being able to "complete" all of my units (but without making most of the game incredibly easy). This idea is probably pretty farfetched so,

- If no skirmishes, PLEASE bring back Battle EXP. Side objectives are good and it's just a great concept in general to help in training all your units

- Spotpass-style characters would be fun... maybe could be a DLC thing. Unsure of this one's practicality. I just think that Mia sporting the Durandal would be cool!

- Add a few new classes. Mage Knights and Great Knights specifically. I don't know if Branch Promotions are the move because I don't think there needs to be a fancy new class for classes like Myrmidon and Pegasus Knight to have access to. Maybe DSFE Elysian Whip style promotions to a few different special classes.

- Add skills. Path of Radiance or Thracia-style, preferably. Something like Shade for Sophia, Adept for Shanna, Vantage for Alen, Wrath for Geese, etc. I like the idea of the proficiency skills in Radiant Dawn, too. Would love to see Swordmasters learn Astra, Paladins learn Sol, Generals learn Luna again. Maybe instead of this being using an item based, I'd make it to where these skills unlock at Level 10 promoted.

- Add weapon scrolls? I don't really know about this one but I think it would be interesting if there was an item that could teach Alen how to use Axes, or Raigh how to use Anima magic, stuff like that. Maybe even let Klein use Swords. The limit to this would be making giving Magic to a non-magic class would be to halve magic damage. This is my solution for FE6's rigid class definitions of Knights can't use Swords, Pegasus Knights/Wyvern Knights can't use Axes, etc.

- Weapon Forge. Let us name weapons again you cowards!

Anyway, here's what I would change from the base game:

- Supports build way faster, and from things like combat next to one another, healing, etc. like most modern fire emblems.

- Swordmaster/berserker crit bonus reduced to 15.

- Throne Avoid Bonus reduced to 20.

- Minimum hit on weapons needs to be 55. I generally like FE6's hitrates, but Hammers having 45 hit is a line of futility that I think doesn't need to be crossed. Eclipse will be nerfed to half-damage like FE7 and I guess it's permissible for that one to have futile hit...

- Roy can promote at any time. Someone can drop some Earth Seals sometime after chapter 8x and that'll do the trick. If Roy is unpromoted by the time he gets the Binding Blade, then... I guess that scene can still promote him, if needed. I would say that he should promote after Chapter 16, but modern FE doesn't even do story promotions anymore. Seems pointless.

- Certain weapon durability changes: First off, I think when weapons break, they shouldn't disappear (Thracia/Genealogy style, Three Houses may have done this?) to prevent getting locked out of the last three chapters. Binding Blade should be upped to 30 uses and the Fa stone should be upped to 50. I think the Rapier could use a buff too, 7 might if it's only going to be 25 uses.

- Nomads and Troubadours are not immune to effective damage.

I probably forgot something but I have had a lot of thoughts on how to handle this for a while! Maybe too ambitious but you have to spice it up a good bit to make it worth playing over the original game.

7 hours ago, twilightrowan said:

- Add a few new classes. Mage Knights and Great Knights specifically. I don't know if Branch Promotions are the move because I don't think there needs to be a fancy new class for classes like Myrmidon and Pegasus Knight to have access to. Maybe DSFE Elysian Whip style promotions to a few different special classes.

Rather than pegasus knights needing the Elysian Whip to mimic modern standards, I think it's actually the Wyverns that need an alternate class to update them, so to speak. As back in Binding Blade wyverns couldn't use axes, which they've solidly been married to for almost 20 years now. Narcian even uses an axe in Heroes (which I sort of don't like).

- Add weapon scrolls? I don't really know about this one but I think it would be interesting if there was an item that could teach Alen how to use Axes, or Raigh how to use Anima magic, stuff like that. Maybe even let Klein use Swords. The limit to this would be making giving Magic to a non-magic class would be to halve magic damage. This is my solution for FE6's rigid class definitions of Knights can't use Swords, Pegasus Knights/Wyvern Knights can't use Axes, etc.

I don't think you'd need to halve magic damage by giving magic to non magic classes. They're already going to be limited by their lack of a decent magic stat. Hybrid classes are notoriously difficult to make useful, there's no need to further nerf them when they're already poorly working by converting a unit not intended to be one into a hybrid class. And the same wouldn't be happening to a unit who use magic from base that you give a physical weapon to. Which would create an odd dichotomy where innate magic users are mechanically superior to innate physical users, and least when it comes to the potential for variety.

Swordmaster/berserker crit bonus reduced to 15.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for this. I like that the Critical bonus was 30% in FE6, it really makes it more impactful. The 15% bonus in other games just isn’t reliable enough. The 30% bonus is basically the perfect amount so that a Berserker will statistically always be more likely to get a Crit with one attack than another unit with two attacks (other than Swordmaster obviously). 

32 minutes ago, Whisky said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for this. I like that the Critical bonus was 30% in FE6, it really makes it more impactful. The 15% bonus in other games just isn’t reliable enough. The 30% bonus is basically the perfect amount so that a Berserker will statistically always be more likely to get a Crit with one attack than another unit with two attacks (other than Swordmaster obviously). 

I'm probably biased here as I have a bad experience with enemy Berserkers completely ruining my chapter by one shotting someone. But, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world, Killer weapons on enemies do exist and I find no issue with that, so there's no need to draw the line there by that logic.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I don't think you'd need to halve magic damage by giving magic to non magic classes. They're already going to be limited by their lack of a decent magic stat. Hybrid classes are notoriously difficult to make useful, there's no need to further nerf them when they're already poorly working by converting a unit not intended to be one into a hybrid class. And the same wouldn't be happening to a unit who use magic from base that you give a physical weapon to. Which would create an odd dichotomy where innate magic users are mechanically superior to innate physical users, and least when it comes to the potential for variety.

Ah, yeah, you're probably right about this, I guess a 3 magic Alen isn't getting enough mileage out of a Fire tome to warrant halving his magical damage output from 8 to 4.