What changes would you make to Binding Blade in a potential remake?

1. I'd like to see some of the more broken units get nerfed a ton, it's a lot of fun getting over 100 crit with Rutger, but it is definitely game breaking. With this in mind I'd nerf a lot of the bosses as well, since sometimes it feels as if using the broken units is the only way to beat them(or I'm just bad at FE :P), the way I'd do this is probably just decreasing throne bonuses since some of the faster bosses are impossible to hit.

2. I'd like to see something reminiscent of SoV's animations, they're quick and a bunch of fun to watch.

3. To be honest, I wouldn't like to see some of the bad units get buffed. Some of my favorite memories with this game are mostly me training up a unit like Sophia. I feel like its realistic in a way that some people are just outright stronger than others.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/9/2020 at 12:19 PM, Pups said:

1. I'd like to see some of the more broken units get nerfed a ton, it's a lot of fun getting over 100 crit with Rutger, but it is definitely game breaking. With this in mind I'd nerf a lot of the bosses as well, since sometimes it feels as if using the broken units is the only way to beat them(or I'm just bad at FE :P), the way I'd do this is probably just decreasing throne bonuses since some of the faster bosses are impossible to hit.

2. I'd like to see something reminiscent of SoV's animations, they're quick and a bunch of fun to watch.

3. To be honest, I wouldn't like to see some of the bad units get buffed. Some of my favorite memories with this game are mostly me training up a unit like Sophia. I feel like its realistic in a way that some people are just outright stronger than others.

1. decreasing bonus is one way, but i would prefer it if they can just remove the throne from some map and/or changes the objective. its kind of funny and silly that no matter what type of terrain in the map theres always a throne. (also throne giving big bonus would looks weird and nonsensical using 3D animation)

2. animation movie or gameplay animation? i love both of them tho.

3. its always like that tho? i mean past FE used to have some unit join late with low stats but catch up with big growth when trained.

Edited by joevar

40 minutes ago, joevar said:

1. decreasing bonus is one way, but i would prefer it if they can just remove the throne from some map and/or changes the objective. its kind of funny and silly that no matter what type of terrain in the map theres always a throne. (also throne giving big bonus would looks weird and nonsensical using 3D animation)

2. animation movie or gameplay animation? i love both of them tho.

3. its always like that tho? i mean past FE used to have some unit join late with low stats but catch up with big growth when trained.

Thrones haven't exactly disappeared since then. All the 3D games so far have managed to feature them without it being silly. 

On 10/9/2020 at 6:47 AM, Samz707 said:

I think maybe giving some of his dialogue to other characters talking to Roy could work, Merlinus would still exist as the "Default" for if the character is dead but giving Marcus and other characters dialogue could work.

Here's may take on some of the additional conversations and scripts we can have:

On 10/21/2019 at 6:19 PM, henrymidfields said:

For some ideas in FE6:

Recurring episodes:

• Marcus manages the discipline of the troops for Roy and discusses training, and he can also provide insight on the politics of Lycia and Bern from past experience. He can also talk about how some people betray the alliance. Out of cowardice? (Eric could be this.) Out of personal greed? (Wagner in Chapter 6.) Or out of a not-so-unfounded fear of retribution and punitive sanctions from the invaders? (It would be interesting to write a script, if Leygance was this, and he became desparate after the disaster at Araphen.)
  • Lilina and Roy could discuss how different actual practice is compared to theory learnt from Cecilia, and how it can be daunting. They can also talk about leadership and how they can exercise it.
  • If Roy romances Thany or Sue, the former can listen to the stories of Ilia/Sacae from the latter, and also have them as the leading scouts into the nation. Alternately, Lilina can do that instead - out from her desire to learn more about the different nations - if Roy romances Lilina. If a save state from FE7 Echoes is detected, then extra conversations may happen depending on who is Roy's/Lilina's parents. Lyn!Roy or Lyn!Lilina will have an extended conversation with Sue, and Fiora!Roy and Florina!Lilina will ditto with Thany.
  • If Douglas survives in Chapter 16, then Lalum thanks Roy for sparing her father. She also lets on further stories about how she got to the Western Isles, and how she and Douglas shifted things behind the scenes against Aracard and Roartz.

Other characters can have their own episodes here and there:

• Cecilia, Perceval after Chapter 14, and Saul corresponds to the rebels and to Jodel and discusses how further political and tactical pressure can be applied against Aracard and Roartz.
  • Actually, Saul and/or Dorothy can even comment on why they are in the Western Isles with Roy at Ebracum in Chapter 11 - Jodel asked them to investigate the extent of Oro's corruption, and the whereabouts of the church's previously-sent auditors. And they can take statements from exploited citizens to be sent back to the Etrurian Vatican and appoint a replacement bishop to restore order and work out restitution.
  • Dieck and Klein may have an extended conversation together if they already have support, and discusses the possibility of visiting the Rigel manor and the colosseum after Chapter 16 (or 16 Paralogue).
  • Rutger reminisces his younger days in Chapter 20 of the Sacae route, and resolves to take down Bern to settle his accounts against them.
  • Milady, Zeiss, Elen, and Guinevere convince Bernians to stand down and surrender, in Chapter 21?

In any case, I'd like to see a more significant/visible role of teamwork affecting the plot, with Echoes!Sigurd, Echoes!Roy and Echoes!Eirika/Ephraim, and Echoes!Ike/Micaiah actively having to rely on others, and backing off every now and then to give focus for the others' characters' arcs - sort of similar to what Itsuki, Yu, and Minako did in their respective Persona games.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Thrones haven't exactly disappeared since then. All the 3D games so far have managed to feature them without it being silly. 

in the context of battling a ruler inside a castle, not having a throne would be weirder. i say it would look silly if the map doesnt have anything to do with it, a "throne" as in where a king sit. you know, a chair giving heal buff makes sense a bit, but avoid buff though. a castle gate or something similar that works as throne in open field battle works as throne replacement too i guess

1 hour ago, joevar said:

in the context of battling a ruler inside a castle, not having a throne would be weirder. i say it would look silly if the map doesnt have anything to do with it, a "throne" as in where a king sit. you know, a chair giving heal buff makes sense a bit, but avoid buff though. a castle gate or something similar that works as throne in open field battle works as throne replacement too i guess

A lot of the thrones in Binging Blade are stuff like Castle Gates (or even the castles themselves) though.

A lot of this stuff has probably been said before but I just finished the game so...

1. Ambush spawns must be removed! I feel like this would be quite obvious; yet the fact that they’re in Three Houses (the most recent entry) baffles me...

2. A complete revamp of the support system; not only do I want the support limit removed, I want a completely different way of gaining support than leaving two characters not named Roy and Lilina next to each other for the entire game. Alas, this change, while in my mind second most important, will probably never happen.

3. Beserk staves really should go, at the very least berserk staves, since those all but guarantee at least one of your units’ deaths if you aren’t restore-turtling, and in a game with permadeath that is just an absolutely horrible mechanic. I’ve heard a lot of people dislike silence as well, but it never particularly bothered me, at least silence is fair a word that fe6 doesn’t know the definition of.

4. We need way more promotion items, there is just a complete drought of them, whether through changing them all to master seals or just adding more of the kinds we already have I just want more. Oh Thieves promoting would be nice too, as well as maybe splitting who can use hero crests, like make it a sword promotion item so to speak for thieves, myrms, and mercs, and then give something else to promote to fighters, the brigand, and the pirate. I guess this is kind of 3 points in one, I just wish there wasn’t such a dependency on hero crests.

5. Buff hit rates; apparently on hard mode especially, hit rates for your units can be really unbearable (thanks 2 RN!). And if this is a big enough issue to complain about quite a bit from others than it should be fixed!

6. Buff a few unit levels and bases, Wendy and Sophie should not be joining at level one... I mean Sophie is the epitome of a deadweight, and in a fog of war chapter with wyvern lords carrying silver weapons your only viable strategy to get that guiding ring, which you will want (see number 4) is to have units surrounding her at all times or to have her wait in the back and slowly advance, praying she doesn’t get ambush spawned (assuming you’re playing blind). It would be one thing if she was an est, but she isn’t so this is bad. Wendy is the same thing but to a lesser degree.

7. Make Merlinus unplayable, give him a class that can do something relevant to combat + promotion, or implement him like he was implemented in fe7, having a deadweight unit just really irks me. There is literally no point in ever deploying him.

8. Bring back the monk class, this one is probably only important to me, but the ability to use light magic being locked to promotion of two units that take forever to promote if you try to get them to 20 (so you can actually use them in endgame, more on that later) or an unfun (IMO) prepromote sucks specifically for using the divine light tome Aureola because it makes impossible to use without grinding, I tried to grind Yodel in the last chapter and yet I still couldn’t get him to S rank for Aureola. Not that anyone should feel like they have to resort to using Yodel if they want to use all the divine weapons, just slap the monk class on Saul (OR A PLAYABLE GUINEVERE >.<) and call it a day.

9. Waaay more paired endings, Roy can keep his harem if the writers so wish, but others characters really deserve better endings aNd endings with other characters. 

10. Last and least, Guinvere really should have been playable imo, since she was with us for practically the whole game. It would have been cool to see, so I would love to see it in a remake.

Edit: I’m not sure where this would go number wise but I forgot the story, Roy, Merlinus, and Elphin are really the only ones who appear regularly, and they are suuuuuuuuuper boring. I’d like them all getting echoes treatment, and  other characters getting some screen time, and echoes treatment as well, actually.

Edited by Sooks1016

On 10/18/2020 at 10:26 PM, Sooks1016 said:

A lot of this stuff has probably been said before but I just finished the game so...

not to criticize, but just commenting..

1. but, BUT! without it FE6(remake) will be much easier. 😞 .. lol just kidding, i wish they remove it in normal and keep it in higher difficulty so everyone wins
2. if we dont have monastery/castle/camp thingy, just deploying them in same mission should give them a support point imo, not pairing them all the time and drags some character down. (example: deploying gives 10 point support with relevant also-deployed char, while fighting together further increase the point altho minimal) or like you said, revamp completely.
3. Agree. in FE realm especially FE6, one turn being useless/unusable means risking someone's death.
4. Absolutely agree
5. Depends on how they calculate RNG i guess? but mostly agree
6. Sophia is a  lvl 1 is weird since she already live long enough as half half dragon
7. agreed.  or just make him as player character
8.&10. Agree, but monk iirc first appeared in FE7, so bringing back seems not the correct word. Also playable Guinevere in story seems guaranteed since FE cipher already make her the user of Aureola
9. Better yet, remove those horrible one-liner ending just because they didnt enter the temple of dragon. Also Roy x Guinevere for more  onee-san ending for our boy Roy 😄

Edited by joevar

On 10/18/2020 at 4:26 PM, Sooks1016 said:

4. We need way more promotion items, there is just a complete drought of them, whether through changing them all to master seals or just adding more of the kinds we already have I just want more. Oh Thieves promoting would be nice too, as well as maybe splitting who can use hero crests, like make it a sword promotion item so to speak for thieves, myrms, and mercs, and then give something else to promote to fighters, the brigand, and the pirate. I guess this is kind of 3 points in one, I just wish there wasn’t such a dependency on hero crests.

I dunno if other FE games do it but maybe Seals could be signifficantly more common on (assuming we get at least a Normal/Hard mode.) Normal but Hard has them be rare like original FE6, so there's a few more to find/take from enemies on normal mode but who you promote still matters as much on Hard.

9 hours ago, joevar said:

1. but, BUT! without it FE6(remake) will be much easier. 😞 .. lol just kidding, i wish they remove it in normal and keep it in higher difficulty so everyone wins

Yeah, there’s a difference between a difficulty that’s really hard and fun to play and a difficulty that’s really hard because it’s completely unfair.

Ambush spawns really need to be all or nothing. In other words, either in both modes or not in the game at all. Being in HM only would actually make them more unfair because they would come as a surprise to people that played NM.

6 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Ambush spawns really need to be all or nothing. In other words, either in both modes or not in the game at all. Being in HM only would actually make them more unfair because they would come as a surprise to people that played NM.

but thats my reason for wishing it to be separated. rather than just inflating all enemy unit stat in harder difficulty, with ambush spawn, theres something new with the enemy behavior. altho the nature of ambush spawn in FE6 especially in later game is Wyvern which is just horrible in harder mode

Edited by joevar

15 minutes ago, joevar said:

but thats my reason for wishing it to be separated. rather than just inflating all enemy unit stat in harder difficulty, with ambush spawn, theres something new with the enemy behavior. altho the nature of ambush spawn in FE6 especially in later game is Wyvern which is just horrible in harder mode

But then people who want a fair hard mode are out of luck. Which considering criticisms I hear seems to be quite the amount of people.

4 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I dunno if other FE games do it but maybe Seals could be signifficantly more common on (assuming we get at least a Normal/Hard mode.) Normal but Hard has them be rare like original FE6, so there's a few more to find/take from enemies on normal mode but who you promote still matters as much on Hard.

That actually sounds fun for there to be a limit on them and you have to choose wisely. Maybe it would have been cooler if Binding Blade had presented itself this way.

In my opinon, Ambush Spawns should not be in any FE. I can excuse them for only one reason-The game explicitly telling you that there are reinforcements coming. Even then, having them show up on player phase would be much better. Ambush spawns do not augment FE6, or any other FE for that matter. The less information you hide from the player, the better. I think I speak for almost everyone when I say that the Hardest modes should be fair and shouldn't rely on ambush spawns and the like to increase the challenge.

4 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I feel that they should increase the amount of promotion items you get in both modes, personally, but fewer resources on Hard isn't a bad idea. I think personal skills for the weakest units, (e.g Wendy, Sophia) could also help-Maybe Sophia having access to both dragonstones and tomes, for example.

Also, dragonstones should be a weapon tpe with different kinds that can be used, and there should be more than one so that Fae isn't milited to 30 uses,

I really hope they keep buyable boots. They should have hints about where to find the secret shops, since buyable boots are too fun.

In general, I’m really not a fan of ambush spawns. I agree that FE games really shouldn’t hide informaron from the player (I hate FOW in FE. It can work in some games, but FE is not the right game to have FOW in). That being said, I don’t think player phase spawns are a complete improvement from ambush spawns. Enemy reinforcements are easy to kill before they even get a chance to move if they appear on player phase so there’s almost not much point in even having them at that point. Between the two, I would pick player phase spawns for sure, but I think ambush spawns could work if the game told you when and where ambush spawns were about to appear from. There are a lot of ambush spawns that are perfectly fair in FE6, ones that you are given warning about or that appear far enough away to not kill anyone. It depends on how the specific spawns are designed.

10 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

But then people who want a fair hard mode are out of luck. Which considering criticisms I hear seems to be quite the amount of people.

yes, actually i do agree its becoming unfair when ambush spawn taken into account.
why i still want it to exist because difficulty in later FE games seems weird to me, like the hard mode stat should be normal, and normal should be called easy. but lunatic/maddening is just unfair/dumb without grinding. Or maybe because i dont believe IS can make a hard-fair AI enemy, or ive been playing too many games 😕

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

I feel that they should increase the amount of promotion items you get in both modes, personally, but fewer resources on Hard isn't a bad idea. I think personal skills for the weakest units, (e.g Wendy, Sophia) could also help-Maybe Sophia having access to both dragonstones and tomes, for example.

yeah they should, since there are too many units in FE6. it seems they really assume there would be many casualties/people wont have time to grind them so only select few and some pre-promoted unit will be used by player.
Also sophia need rework. mixed blood dragon descendant that at least not younger than marcus, actually start at lvl 1 unpromoted... bruh

how about reinforcement with warning (like a character telling you there will be more coming), and they dont move in the same turn they appear, is it counted as ambush spawn?

51 minutes ago, joevar said:

there are too many units in FE6. it seems they really assume there would be many casualties/people wont have time to grind them so only select few and some pre-promoted unit will be used by player.

FE6 is certainly designed with ironmanning in mind, and I really like that. Even if Deke dies, there are two other herores worth using. Even if Allance die, there are still two other cavs worth using. Even if Shanna dies, there is a pegasus worth using. It's a lot mroe fun to ironman than a game like, say, FE7, where I get few replacements. Canas died? No replacement. Priscilla died? No replacement. Only three cavs and two paladins kind of hurts compared to FE6's slew of cavalry.

48 minutes ago, joevar said:

how about reinforcement with warning (like a character telling you there will be more coming), and they dont move in the same turn they appear, is it counted as ambush spawn?

No, that's more like a normal reinforcement. Ambush spawns are a problem because they move before the player does. Three Houses sometimes has reinforcments spawn at the start of Enemy phase, but they usually don't move on Hard. There are those ambush spawns i ran into, but for the most part it's okay on Hard.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

In my opinon, Ambush Spawns should not be in any FE. I can excuse them for only one reason-The game explicitly telling you that there are reinforcements coming. Even then, having them show up on player phase would be much better. Ambush spawns do not augment FE6, or any other FE for that matter. The less information you hide from the player, the better. I think I speak for almost everyone when I say that the Hardest modes should be fair and shouldn't rely on ambush spawns and the like to increase the challenge.

It's even worse in chapters like Chapter 6, I had one of my ( I think? can't remember who exactly.) cavaliers sat on the stairs on the bottom right room of the castle to block off ambush spawns...so I open a chest and suddenly. a bunch of dudes spawn in the middle of the room (So not blocked off by the stairs) so my dude got basically ambushed by a bunch of dudes literally phasing into existence (They sure as heck didn't use the stairs.), thankfully I was able to deal with it without anyone dying but that was more luck than anything else.

5 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

It's even worse in chapters like Chapter 6, I had one of my ( I think? can't remember who exactly.) cavaliers sat on the stairs on the bottom right room of the castle to block off ambush spawns...so I open a chest and suddenly. a bunch of dudes spawn in the middle of the room

Ha! That actually happened to me as well, only with Clarine. Things like that are really dumb and annoying. FE6's (as well as FE11's) ambush spawns don't bother me as much as games like TH's do, since 9/10 times they're logical reinforcments that appear on the wrong phase. (I still dislike them, don't get me wrong. The game would be much better without 'em.) TH's are... Well, not. They randomly appear in the middle of a path with no indication that there should be reinforcements.

5 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

They sure as heck didn't use the stairs

Your cavalier is probably Canadian and politely got out of the way when the soldiers asked if they could use the stairs.

Edited by Benice

50 minutes ago, Benice said:

Even if Allance die, there are still two other cavs worth using.

I agree with this whole post, but you and I have a very different definition of “worth using”. Actually, I generally think the replacement units end up as worse than the original, but maybe that’s just the players punishment for the other ones dying, even if it was probably to unfair ambush spawns. Although you need your first nomad alive to recruit your second one, which is odd. I think ambush spawns get in the way of a game being designed to ironman, though. As does a drought of promotion items, because if one of your promoted units dies and you don’t have any more of that promotion item and won’t for a while, or a prepromote in that class, that’s a big fat F.

Yeah, the Chapter 6 ambush spawns are stupid. If you know about them, you shouldn’t even open those doors, but the ones you can’t avoid are the ones by the boss, and since they appear on 3 different turns with huge gaps in between them, it’s very difficult to approach the boss without getting ambushed. It’s dumb. The ones from the bottom of this map are fine though. They’re only triggered when all of your units move past a certain point, so the game doesn’t spawn them until it knows that your units aren’t in range. Unlike 3H spawning ambush enemies with Pass on top of your starting point on turn 2 -_-

Edited by Whisky

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Ha! That actually happened to me as well, only with Clarine. Things like that are really dumb and annoying. FE6's (as well as FE11's) ambush spawns don't bother me as much as games like TH's do, since 9/10 times they're logical reinforcments that appear on the wrong phase. (I still dislike them, don't get me wrong. The game would be much better without 'em.) TH's are... Well, not. They randomly appear in the middle of a path with no indication that there should be reinforcements.

Your cavalier is probably Canadian and politely got out of the way when the soldiers asked if they could use the stairs.

Haven't got that far but the ones in the Holy Tomb annoyed me since they spawn at the stairs...then get essentially free movement moving down the hallway. 

I know it's relatively minor but it still adds an element of "The AI gets to cheat" to me.

7 hours ago, Benice said:

No, that's more like a normal reinforcement. Ambush spawns are a problem because they move before the player does. Three Houses sometimes has reinforcments spawn at the start of Enemy phase, but they usually don't move on Hard. There are those ambush spawns i ran into, but for the most part it's okay on Hard.

oh, sorry. i keep mixing that one into ambush spawn. Actually i want that normal reinforcement (whatever it is called) rather than the ambush spawn. But in moderation and only select few maps of course, and not infinite spawn from doors. certainly not because i like getting punished

Like the map against Murdock, reinforcement should make sense plot wise since we are against top General defending the way to capital, so they should call back any troops stationed elsewhere. but not situation like this:

6 hours ago, Whisky said:

but the ones you can’t avoid are the ones by the boss, and since they appear on 3 different turns with huge gaps in between them,

thats dumb, spawning beside/behind boss to cockblock you from boss...  no arguing about that

I heared someone say once that ambushspawns have to be there to make a map challening. I think it has more to do with timing and placement. If you normalspawn an enemy at the beginning of the map in turn 12 or spawn them where they can be easily spawnkilled for easy EXP, then obviously it is not challenging. If you spawn them correctly tho, they can just be a motivation to go fast to have less issues.