Special Heroes Silhouettes (July 8th)

SockPuppet

21 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

Travant (and other similar units) sucks because this is a game of finite resources and he offers no incentive for players to build him over cheaper, common-pool units that perform similarly or better.  Oversaturated meta-irrelevant class, no exclusive weapon, no special abilities, no special perks like high BST.   He is "usable" like nearly every character in this game, but players who aren't die-hard Travant and/or Ippei fans are generally looking for more than that.  Again excluding personal biases, I could never in good conscious recommend that someone invest a lot of resources into a unit like Travant...or Heath...or Haar...etc.  All those combat numbers above tell me is that if I really need a unit with that particular stat line and class, I'll invest in Altena and take my grails elsewhere.  

Honestly as someone who has Travant as one of their personal favorite Fire Emblem villains, I would totally build Travant if he actually had the Gungnir with him. And I'm still mad about that btw

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say much about Forrest as I haven't really used him, but I can say that Heath has been very good for me! I've experimented with quite a few builds for him and he's proven to be a very effective defensive tank, with a lot of attack power to back it up. But, like mostly all fliers, keep him away from arrows.

9 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

That's still not fair to people like Anacy who prefer to focus on their favorite units more than who is considered the best (hell become one with heaven when the day comes that the two align) and if given the choice, yes I would rather focus on my favorite unit before the best unit.

You're looking at raw numbers and effects, code basically. You can do that anywhere, you don't need to also demoralize the people who just want to look at their favorite characters be awesome, at least not if they're not asking for it.

And I'm not telling them they can't build their favorites, and it certainly wasn't my intent to demoralize them.  You're responding to someone who's most invested unit is Narcian - pre-refine he was a contender for worst green unit in the game.  I am no stranger to vanity projects, let's just put it that way.  I just don't feel comfortable justifying said projects as anything other than that.  I think if someone really likes a certain unit/character, they're going to build them regardless of how they perform and will never ask the question to begin with. 

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Pretty much this, yeah. Also don't forget that Sylvain is a male. Males especially get the short end of the stick. Even if they're popular (see Forrest, for example). There ARE a few free units that have been good (not counting stuff like CYL units and RD Ike and Altina, of course), but not many.

Oh yeah, another reason I'd like Felix to be the freebie is because he could be an infantry sword user and there are already so many of those in the pool.

Yeah, same. The only popular FE pairing I really like is Ike x Elincia. And I wouldn't say they're extremely popular, just fairly so.

Yes, indeed!

We got it! With Rhea as third wheel but excellent.

1 minute ago, charmedx3 said:

We got it! With Rhea as third wheel but excellent.

YES WE DID. But I'm still so happy OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

@XRay I argue that Travant's base skill kit sucks, and that's where most people draw the line. Silver Lance+, Ignis, Vantage, and Flier Guidance you have to admit are pretty shoddy skills, so you're basically starting from nothing to make Travant match his adopted daughter.
The only "free" units who I say were truly screwed in stats were the earliest free units, when the game was still dedicated to making units match a certain appearance compared to simply making strong units as they do now.

His base kit does kind of suck, but most units these days will need their vanilla kit overhauled anyways. Even SP!Mia needs her B and C skills replaced. Very few units are perfect right out the box, and few people agree which units are fine out of the box and which are not.

36 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

Travant (and other similar units) sucks because this is a game of finite resources and he offers no incentive for players to build him over cheaper, common-pool units that perform similarly or better.  Oversaturated meta-irrelevant class, no exclusive weapon, no special abilities, no special perks like high BST.   He is "usable" like nearly every character in this game, but players who aren't die-hard Travant and/or Ippei fans are generally looking for more than that.  Again excluding personal biases, I could never in good conscious recommend that someone invest a lot of resources into a unit like Travant...or Heath...or Haar...etc.  All those combat numbers above tell me is that if I really need a unit with that particular stat line and class, I'll invest in Altena and take my grails elsewhere.  

That can be said for almost every other unit in this game. If we are judging Travant this harshly, then Altena is no better either, and she should not even be built as a unit by this standard. Enemy Phase fliers have little to no place in the current meta, and Altena should basically be treated as a pile of Sturdy Stance Manuals.

Edited by XRay

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

That can be said for almost every other unit in this game. If we are judging Travant this harshly, then Altena is no better either, and she should not even be built as a unit by this standard. Enemy Phase fliers have little to no place in the current meta, and Altena should basically be treated as a pile of Sturdy Stance Manuals.

I'm inclined to agree, though it's not necessarily the enemy-phase flier part that's bad.  Units with poor Res who struggle with ranged threats are a hard sell in any of the competitive modes.

Speaking of enemy-phase fliers - Guard Bearing caught my eye from the trailer.  I'm guessing it's flier only from the 3H skill it's based on, and might help the class engage a defense team they might have otherwise struggled to do.  Still...I'll wait and see what other impressions are like before I consider pulling for it.  If it's really just one time use, that might be a little too situational for my liking. 

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It's like a dream! And a perfect color balance for the awakening otp team! I can't believe it!! 

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I called you would lose your mind, hahaha

RIP your orbs.

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

I called you would lose your mind, hahaha

RIP your orbs.

Yeah, indeed. Though I shouldn't have to use a WHOLE lot for Sylvain given that he's also 4 star. I expected Ingrid to be the 4 star since she's not popular. But I guess IS still thinks she'd sell because she's female. 😕

If it takes time to get the others though...yeah. Argh.

Edited by Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, indeed. Though I shouldn't have to use a WHOLE lot for Sylvain given that he's also 4 star. I expected Ingrid to be the 4 star since she's not popular. But I guess IS still thinks she'd sell because she's female. 😕

If it takes time to get the others though...yeah. Argh.

Don't worry, I'm kinda on the same boat. I have no more orbs left for Kjelle merges and this banner.

23 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

I'm inclined to agree, though it's not necessarily the enemy-phase flier part that's bad.  Units with poor Res who struggle with ranged threats are a hard sell in any of the competitive modes.

For Aether Raids super tanks, BST matters more than stat distribution since poor stat distribution can be patched by tweaking a unit's skills and its support units' Drives, and even low BST usually is not a huge issue since support units can already give a huge amount of stats. Altena and most Enemy Phase fliers' issue is that they basically need to run Iote's Shield on their Sacred Seal slot and they lack access to strong B skills like Lull Atk/Spd and Null Follow-Up.

For stuff like Arena Assault though, there is no point in holding units to a high standard when you can counter pick your enemies. Giving Travant Sapphire Lance, Glimmer, and Swordbreaker is not going to kill anyone's bank.

Edited by XRay

17 hours ago, Landmaster said:

This is (presumably) pre-time skip Ingrid, it's post time skip where she cuts her hair

I know; I wasn't referring to TS Ingrid. I was referring to Student Ingrid. That's why I was surprised when I saw that pic someone posted of her official student art.