Auto-Battle Only Playthroughs possible on higher difficulties?

Hello,

I love FE: Three Houses and have always been intrigued by the Auto Battle option. Testing it leads to poor results, even poorer I feel than Auto Battle in the 3DS games. That said, I still want to give it a shot. Do you think an Auto Battle only run is possible in Hard or Classic?

The goal would be a Maddening/No NG+/Classic playthrough, but I assume that would lead me to having no units very quickly, so I am open to concessions, like bumping it down to Hard. If anyone has tried something similar, do they have any tips? Specifically about any research done on the Auto Battle mechanic? This is meant to be for fun and not a speed run, but I also want it to be doable.

i absolutely believe a hard/casual autobattle run is possible

maddening is a bit of a far stretch - even lunatic in awakening was a bridge too far for me, though i did an entire hardmode autobattle playthrough besides nah's chapter (autobattle gets stuck in an infinite loop).

from my experience with autobattle in these games, creating strong tanks is far more important than creating big damage killers, and classic is always going to be a complete crapshoot and frankly is never worth working at. recommend you make a playlog for it in the LP forum, give some after-action reports, maybe we can work on it collectively

xoxo

17 hours ago, Integrity said:

i absolutely believe a hard/casual autobattle run is possible

maddening is a bit of a far stretch - even lunatic in awakening was a bridge too far for me, though i did an entire hardmode autobattle playthrough besides nah's chapter (autobattle gets stuck in an infinite loop).

from my experience with autobattle in these games, creating strong tanks is far more important than creating big damage killers, and classic is always going to be a complete crapshoot and frankly is never worth working at. recommend you make a playlog for it in the LP forum, give some after-action reports, maybe we can work on it collectively

xoxo

Thank you for your insight! I hadn’t really given any thought to build optimized for Auto Battle, but I agree that putting more emphasis on bulk would be ideal.

Hard/Casual would certainly be doable but I want to go a little farther. Would Maddening/Casual be more doable than Hard/Classic? I think Maddening/Casual would be more interesting from a reproducibility perspective whereas a Hard/Classic Auto Battle run might end up being impossible.

What forum are you referring to?

I loaded up my Maddening Casual NG+ Azure Moon save on Chapter 13. I was able to Auto Battle and win.

Some comments:

- Auto Battle cannot get through barriers. The little corner where Sylvain/Felix/Ingrid spawn has two barriers. Sylvain and Felix could not break the barrier, so I manually had Sylvain break the barrier. It was my only action, but I suppose it wasn’t necessary. For those curious, the only surviving units were Dimitri, Gilbert (despite missing most of his axe swings haha) and Sylvain.

- Focus is probably what I would use for 90% if the turns. The only exception was the first turn where I wanted to use Unite to bring Dimitri and Byleth closer.

- This was a NG+ run, and I did use it to level up my Professor Level way back on month 1, which allowed me to teach the students more stuff. Other than that, though, I didn’t use the more obvious NG+ buffs like skill level ups or crests.

- I’ve definitely given up on doing Classic. I still think Maddening/Casual could work but It’s possible that I spend a few hours only to reach a hard stop somewhere in the first seven chapters.