Pikachu was almost redesigned as a “tiger with huge breasts” for the US release of Red/Blue

Water Mage

I feel like this news broke a month ago? But yeah I recommend searching up the interview this comes from, it's a very interesting insight into what it took to bring pokemon overseas. That stuff about there not being a "cute" in marketing for western culture in the 90s is very interesting. 

Edited by Glennstavos

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I feel like this news broke a month ago? But yeah I recommend searching up the interview this comes from, it's a very interesting insight into what it took to bring pokemon overseas. That stuff about there not being a "cute" in marketing for western culture in the 90s is very interesting. 

It's like, did they not see Mickey Mouse? Or Disney in general?

If you looked at the darned games and not the anime, although you could attribute a fraction of it to limitations of the Game Boy Color and Game Freak's initial lack of experience as GSC would show, Gen 1 was the Pocket Monster generation. Set aside Clefairy and Eevee and a few others, and the generation was uglier, more monstrous or at least plain and on the whole less cute than later generations. Symbolic of this is Gen 1 being the source of a disproportionate number of the Poison type Pokemon, a type usually defined by being less than heart-meltingly sweet. Gen 1 is the realization of Satoshi Tajiri's inspiration- of bugs crawling over a GameBoy Link Cable, not plushies.

But, Pikaboobs has no place in vintage Gen 1, let Digiwaifumon have it. Though SMT wouldn't object were there a place for a tiger with cleavage, but I do not know if there is in any mythos. An abomination interpretation of Narasimha is the closest thing that comes to mind.