[FE7] FE1/FE11 Hybrid Remake

OdysseyNeptune

After quite some work (and a long break in the middle), I am proud to announce "FE1/FE11 Hybrid Remake". Now, you might be wondering why it's called a "Hybrid Remake". This hackrom is a mix between FE1 and FE11. For example, while units and classes use their FE1 bases and growths, all text comes from the English version of FE11, due to FE1 not containing much text. I also imported "Trouble!" from FE11, and I'm planning on using purely FE11 music for the hackrom.
As for the game itself, there is only one chapter now, Marth Embarks (Chapter 1). The only problem is that Marth can't seize the gate (I don't know why, I tried to fix it but it doesn't work). The map is taken from an old FE1 remake, but there's a lot of differences between that hack and mine (like my hack having the units start at Level 1 instead of other levels, as well as using FE11 text.)
There's also other changes: the Weapon Triangle has been removed to make the game more accurate to FE1, some classes/units have been changed (like Sheeda being able to use Swords), the Curate class replacing the Monk class from FE7 (and I attempted for it to use Bishop animations, but it most likely failed), and gave the units their own descriptions. Weapons are also identical to their FE1 counterparts (except the Bowgun, as it also poisons. It replaces the Poison Bow, but I left the poison effect on purpose so you can make Gordin more useful)

Future plans for the hackrom include:

• Remaking the entire game
  • Implementing Manaketes if possible
  • FE3/FE12 Hybrid Remake as a sequel????? (Note: I might actually do this if this hack is well received)
  • Adding some easter eggs/secrets, perhaps?
  • BS Fire Emblem as another hack (or maybe I could include that in the hypothetical FE3/FE12 Hybrid Remake)

There's also a few "instructions" for the Demo 1:

1. Load a save in which you completed the game
  2. Select Eliwood Normal Mode (you can choose Hard but it's left unaffected)

This is because Chapter 1 is in Eliwood Mode. If you pick Lyn Mode, you will enter a previous version of the chapter (that was left abandoned due to tutorials and more things).

For the Demo 2, you can access Prologue I and a buggy, unfinished version of Prologue II by picking Lyn Mode. Chapter 1 is in Eliwood Mode.
Here is the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/08h61b0cprdm6/
image.thumb.png.e34d912c6213b558bd3caf95abf3061b.pngimage.thumb.png.8ecd05456e9915ebea1c7e969af82f90.pngimage.thumb.png.70cd044f487cf58e363521ce6cfd8d0d.pngimage.thumb.png.78cf03d0144d10b1f9ebcb4ba0d5981e.png
Here are some screenshots: (haven't changed portraits yet)

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

Can you please put up screenshots?

EDIT: I should have said this too but I think this idea is super cool.

Edited by This boi uses Nino

Oh yes, I can add screenshots.
Also thank you! I tried to give it my own twist.
EDIT: Added screenshots! And yes, you can visit Villages with non-Marth units, although the houses tell you only that Marth can visit Villages, mostly to keep the script identical to FE11's script.
EDIT 2: Apparently Gazzak's battle quote and death quote were set to trigger in the incomplete version of Chapter 1. I'm fixing this right now and adding death quotes as well.

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

Bump: I have updated the hackrom and the music sounds a LOT better. "Trouble!" (which is used in the pre-chapter dialogue) sounds indistinguishable from how it sounds in FE11 (at least to me), although "Come, Join Us/Together We Ride!" (recruitment theme) still has a very noticeable quality drop from how it sounds in FE11.

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

Bump: I'm releasing the update today. It includes the following: higher quality music, Prologues I and II from Shadow Dragon (although Prologue II has a few bugs), Frey as a character (albeit unused due to bugs), and the rom itself being 48MB after patching.
Since Demo 2's size exceeds 10MB, I uploaded both Demos to a Mediafire folder: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/08h61b0cprdm6/

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

• 1 month later...

Bump. This project is not dead! I have returned to it yesterday, and have finished the Prologue III, as well as fixed the Seize issue.
I have also improved in making events; the Prologue III events are significantly better than the events in the previous two Prologues.
I'll be working on Prologue IV soon, and Chapter 2 after that (as Chapter 1 is already done)

On 8/25/2020 at 2:54 AM, LightingChaos said:

my headcannon is that the FE7 characters are roleplaying as FE1 characters 

I mean, I wasn't able to import the FE11 portraits completely (due to the need of appropiate color reduction) yet, so you can interpret the placeholder portraits however you want

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

On 8/29/2020 at 6:05 PM, Peter The Cool said:

uh I might just be dumb but uh it's not working. after patching the USA copy of FE7 it just crashes vba-m. I tried both patch one and two.

That's strange... Have you tried using an older version of VBA? The hack runs just fine for me with VBA 1.8.0

14 hours ago, OdysseyNeptune said:

That's strange... Have you tried using an older version of VBA? The hack runs just fine for me with VBA 1.8.0

I am using vba - m. I will try the old one. I have to ask though, HOW did you get the rom to be 48MB? lol what did you do? I would love to help you out once I get my mod finished.

EDIT: I got it working with 1.8. You did a great job with the map. The music sounds very close to the DS. Maybe that's why it did not play on the other one, and why it is so big.

EDIT:2 Some of the songs go in and out btw.

Edited by Peter The Cool

7 hours ago, Peter The Cool said:

I am using vba - m. I will try the old one. I have to ask though, HOW did you get the rom to be 48MB? lol what did you do? I would love to help you out once I get my mod finished.

EDIT: I got it working with 1.8. You did a great job with the map. The music sounds very close to the DS. Maybe that's why it did not play on the other one, and why it is so big.

EDIT:2 Some of the songs go in and out btw.

I expanded the rom using HxD, using one of its functionalities that adds "00" bytes, therefore creating new free space.

Thank you! I tried my best recreating the maps, but I'll add more variety to the tiles. About the music, I used something that allows for higher quality music, but takes up a lot of space as a result (importing WAVs), so it does sound similar. It is the reason why the rom is bigger indeed.

Yes, WAVs fade out once a battle starts. There is no fix AFAIK.

EDIT: I will probably be remaking Chapter 1's Map at some point to make it more accurate to the game (also because I didn't make it, and I want to make my own map for it)

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Huh, I always thought expanding the ROM past 32MB on a gba game caused issues. The more you know, I guess.

To be honest, I thought the same, until I tried expanding it. I don't think the hack would run on actual hardware though.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, OdysseyNeptune said:

I expanded the rom using HxD, using one of its functionalities that adds "00" bytes, therefore creating new free space.

Thank you! I tried my best recreating the maps, but I'll add more variety to the tiles. About the music, I used something that allows for higher quality music, but takes up a lot of space as a result (importing WAVs), so it does sound similar. It is the reason why the rom is bigger indeed.

Yes, WAVs fade out once a battle starts. There is no fix AFAIK.

EDIT: I will probably be remaking Chapter 1's Map at some point to make it more accurate to the game (also because I didn't make it, and I want to make my own map for it)

oh you added extra "00" bytes, that makes scene now. Why not just add the Wavs to the end of the rom and add more as you go, though? Not that it matters too much, the actual hardware might not even be able to play it with the sound waves. I am just a bit curious.

That is very sad that there is no fix for the battles fading out the wav music. When I played a bit the map music did come back on at some point. I guess it waits for the track to finish? If you have a link to more information about the wavs, I would be interested.

Also, I might be able to make a few maps to help, since at some point I want to remake some for fun, but I can't promising anything at the moment. I have alot of projects I need to work on. Though, I will let you know if I get around to it.

On 9/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, Peter The Cool said:

oh you added extra "00" bytes, that makes scene now. Why not just add the Wavs to the end of the rom and add more as you go, though? Not that it matters too much, the actual hardware might not even be able to play it with the sound waves. I am just a bit curious.

That is very sad that there is no fix for the battles fading out the wav music. When I played a bit the map music did come back on at some point. I guess it waits for the track to finish? If you have a link to more information about the wavs, I would be interested.

Also, I might be able to make a few maps to help, since at some point I want to remake some for fun, but I can't promising anything at the moment. I have alot of projects I need to work on. Though, I will let you know if I get around to it.

Yes, the WAVs were placed automatically by FEBuilder once imported, I didn't really control where to place them in the ROM.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is with WAVs tbh, but it might be related to that.

I would be glad if you could help me, but if you're busy with other projects, it's all fine.