[FE7] Running into a problem when importing portrait

OdysseyNeptune

Hello, I am using FEBuilder and I'm working on my FE1/FE11 Hybrid Remake hack. (More info here: https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/92222-fe7-fe1fe11-hybrid-remake/)

I tried to import Jagen's sprite from FE11 to FE7, but I ran into one problem (yes, I know it's importing a DS sprite to a GBA game, but I couldn't find a GBA-style Jagen sprite). Besides the color reduction that makes Jagen look quite monochrome (as it exceeds 16 colors), FEBuilder automatically assumes part of his armor to be his mouth and eyes, and so the sprite ends up a bit scrambled (Here's a screenshot)image.thumb.png.7a475af460ff27cf4305ebda741a1b22.png
FEBuilder forced me to resize it to 128x112 (from 128x128), so that might be the issue.
How can I fix this?
EDIT: So apparently the GBA FE games have a "format". I'll try to do this the best I can.

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

Well GBA games use a template for portraits, so you should probably try to change that and make it adequate for the GBA and all, it also probably is a better idea to use the portraits from the SNES as they are closer in technology to the GBA, than the GBA is to the DS.

Just now, This boi uses Nino said:

Well GBA games use a template for portraits, so you should probably try to change that and make it adequate for the GBA and all, it also probably is a better idea to use the portraits from the SNES as they are closer in technology to the GBA, than the GBA is to the DS.

Oh yeah, I forgot that FE03 has Book 1. Although I would be left without sprites for some characters (like Wrys, or Darros)

I would say what is happening is your sprite is not fit to the expected template, and the game is processing it as well as it can. As far as I know, you pretty much have to obey the size and color constraints for sprites unless you're doing some serious back-end work. I would recommend either building your own sprite or resizing and recoloring the DS Jagen sprite with the 15 colors you want in a separate program. Then you can fit it to the template.

To get a template from FEBuilder directly: go into the portrait editor, select any portrait, and click export image at the bottom of the window. You will then save a direct png of the portrait you picked. Once you have that image, you can fit the sprite you want to it in any image editing program and when it's finished, you can import the new image.

Good luck!

Edited by Solvaij

Just now, Solvaij said:

I would say what is happening is your sprite is not fit to the expected template, and the game is processing it as well as it can. As far as I know, you pretty much have to obey the size and color constraints for sprites unless you're doing some serious back-end work. I would recommend either building your own sprite or resizing and recoloring the DS Jagen sprite with the 15 colors you want in a separate program. Then you can fit it to the template.

To get a template from FEBuilder directly: go into the portrait editor, select any portrait, and click export image at the bottom of the window. You will then save a direct png of the portrait you picked. Once you have that image, you can fit the sprite you want to it in any image editing program and when it's finished, you can import the new image.

Good luck!

Thank you! About the color thing, FEBuilder does it automatically and allows me to edit the palette, but I'll try to use my own colors.

Just now, OdysseyNeptune said:

Thank you! About the color thing, FEBuilder does it automatically and allows me to edit the palette, but I'll try to use my own colors.

Sure, it's really nice that FEBuilder has that!! I just find that it's a little unwieldy sometimes, so I prefer to do color reduction in an external program, but either way works!! Hope everything goes well for you!

Just now, Solvaij said:

Sure, it's really nice that FEBuilder has that!! I just find that it's a little unwieldy sometimes, so I prefer to do color reduction in an external program, but either way works!! Hope everything goes well for you!

Yeah, but FEBuilder's automatic color reduction left my Jagen.... A little color-less. His armor has mostly the same color, but his face is grey as you can see.

Just now, OdysseyNeptune said:

Yeah, but FEBuilder's automatic color reduction left my Jagen.... A little color-less. His armor has mostly the same color, but his face is grey as you can see.

I saw that  😁. You might try taking pallets (at least for skin tones) from other units in the game. FEBuilder doesn't restrict you to this (I don't think) but generally, the RGB values are multiples of 8 and stay between 32 and 248. Using colors from the game or other values with these constraints can make your sprites feel a little more natural and blend with the other assets in the base game.

Just now, Solvaij said:

I saw that  😁. You might try taking pallets (at least for skin tones) from other units in the game. FEBuilder doesn't restrict you to this (I don't think) but generally, the RGB values are multiples of 8 and stay between 32 and 248. Using colors from the game or other values with these constraints can make your sprites feel a little more natural and blend with the other assets in the base game.

Ah, I see.
I tried to resize Jagen to fit in the "neutral portrait" part of the template, but he doesn't look good at all. I guess I'll either have to learn how to recreate his sprite, or get someone to help me (which I would have to do regardless, considering my plans for the hackrom are pretty big)