[FE12] Old Mystery of the Emblem

Darrman

FIRE EMBLEM: OLD MYSTERY OF THE EMBLEM

Dramatic story inside spoiler:

Spoiler

The 21st of January, 1994. Shouzou Kaga and his team of developers have finished creating the third Fire Emblem game, Mystery of the Emblem. In addition to porting a cut down version of the first game, a sequel to it was also included. It sold over 750,000 copies and was very well regarded in Japan. Yet in the West, RPGs were not a popular genre, and strategy games less so. With even the most famous of RPG series only inconsistently receiving translations, it was no surprise Mystery of the Emblem did not receive an official translation.

Fast forward to the 15th of July, 2010. Fire Emblem’s glory days had long faded. The ninth and tenth entries both sold poorly. The staff was completely replaced and reshuffled, halting the natural evolution of mechanics. To train up the new staff, a remake of the first game was created. The west were not pleased. In spite of the massive changes to just about every facet of the game, Shadow Dragon was decried as a NES game with a new coat of paint. Once again, it sold poorly. Nintendo of America determined that the next game, New Mystery of the Emblem, was not to be translated.

As Intelligent Systems desperately cashed on on their greatest hit’s nostalgia, they made many, many, changes. A long, unskippable eight chapter tutorial was added, to develop the player’s avatar character, new to the series. A casual setting was included, to make the series more accessible for beginners. The roster was dramatically expanded, going from 45 to 77 characters in size. And the plot?

The plot was butchered. Kaga swore that he would never add a self-insert character into Fire Emblem. But Kaga had left Intelligent Systems a decade ago, and his bridges were burned once he released Tear Ring Saga, the “other” Fire Emblem 6. The new developers had free reign to do what they pleased. Kris, to use the self-insert’s default name, was shoehorned in everywhere. From Princess Ellis telling them about his weaknesses, to constantly piping up in a vast array of scenes to say irrelevant nonsense, to having the vast myths and legends of Akaneia told to them instead of Marth in optional conversations, leaving the main story with no replacement. Even the last word of the game, once reserved for Sheeda, is now given to Kris.

Even without Kris’s presence, the story is effected. Right from the first chapter of the game, lines are cut out and the actions carried out modified. Implications of the corrupt General Lang killing Yumina and Yubello are watered down; the truth of the of the first king of Akaneia - Adrah - being a common thief is completely lost; the final fates of many of the dragon tribes, no longer mentioned. Kris putting silly hats on does not compensate for this.

The merits of FE3 and FE12’s gameplay have been endlessly debated. But in my eyes, comparing the stories of these two games leaves but one answer. The original story is superior.

This patch serves to undo the narrative damage dealt to Kaga’s tale. Kris shall no longer pop up to steal a line of Jeigan’s or to come up with Marth’s invasion plans. The missing details above, and a large amount more, have been restored to the script. Additional patches have also been included, to remove much of the new content to the remake and to move the game balance closer to the original’s.

It's the tenth anniversary of FE12's release, and therefore I believe there is no better time to release this hack.

Download here!

Mystery of the Emblem is the Fire Emblem that set the course of the series for the next seven games.
New Mystery of the Emblem did make some beneficial changes, but also made some harmful changes that negatively impact on the game.
The primary aims of this patch are twofold.

Aim #1: Compare the FE3 and FE12 scripts and restore all details cut out of the remake.
Aim #2: Remove all lines of dialogue from Kris, the player self-insert.
This applies to the 22 chapters in the original game. All Kris-centred cutscenes in these chapters have also been removed.

Several optional patches have also been included. These allow removal of the prologue and gaidens, and the adjustment of gameplay to disable reclass and use the original game's weapon balance.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

aeea8f9c394feca67556a0d2e20e99552ff91ce1unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png6a43c72b7a456c98dcad2f6e493105c49070cc7f908d0a33aba6483eaee8e1fa89a0af85e321bb2845b306d0c8dded35230203021631c9e23dc18e527f44db2b2cbf5879275458b28ffe81592e6949fe

CREDITS:
Shouzou Kaga and Intelligent Systems for making the original form of this game.
Original FE12 translation by the Heroes of Shadow.
Text editing tools by Nintenlord.
Hacking for this patch was by Darrman.

If you're talking about the forum I think you're talking about, then the Darrman there and the Darrman here are the same person. I've just posted the hack on Serenes because I had an update and was taking it more seriously.

Edited by Darrman

16 minutes ago, Darrman said:

If you're talking about the forum I think you're talking about, then the Darrman there and the Darrman here are the same person. I've just posted the hack on Serenes because I had an update and was taking it more seriously.

I think it was on FEU, though I don't remember the username of the poster there.

2 minutes ago, OdysseyNeptune said:

I think it was on FEU, though I don't remember the username of the poster there.

It was on FEU, and it was posted by me.

image.png.2a25c4d31ced9439ce2684b839eb90c9.png

So this is basically FE3 on FE12?

What else changes? Is there no playable Kris now?

Most importantly, does Lorenz blow himself up?

1 minute ago, This boi uses Nino said:

So this is basically FE3 on FE12?
In the base patch, FE12 with a script like FE3's. Reclassing can be disabled to bring it closer to 3. No dismount, unfortunately.

What else changes? Is there no playable Kris now?
If I could completely remove Kris, I would. Technical limitations means the unit remains, though without any presence in the main plot.

Most importantly, does Lorenz blow himself up?
If only...

Answers in bold.

3 hours ago, Darrman said:

Answers in bold.

I see, that's some pretty cool stuff!

I would imagine dismount could maybe work if you program in another option into the command menu that basically reclasses you into a "myrmidon" but with different bonuses of that of the myrmidon class so that it could somewhat resemble dismounting?

On 7/15/2020 at 3:40 PM, Darrman said:

FIRE EMBLEM: OLD MYSTERY OF THE EMBLEM

CREDITS:
Shouzou Kaga and Intelligent Systems for making the original form of this game.
Original FE12 translation by the Heroes of Shadow.
Text editing tools by Nintenlord.
Hacking for this patch was by Darrman.

Thank You!

I'm glad that finally a "heretic" had appeared, someone who remembered the freedom intended by the Designer put under "damnatio memoriae" by the nowadays "priesthood of Fire Emblem".

‐–—–‐
On the author's FEU page this hack is listed as:

Old Mystery - April Fools 2020

Edited by WolfTwin

6 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Did you reduce avatar's stat/growth so no one bother to use the avatar?

I haven't touched the growth rates; they're quite awkward to modify. See this thread for the technical details.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, WolfTwin said:

On the author's FEU page this hack is listed as:

Old Mystery - April Fools 2020

This incarnation of the hack is 100% serious. The first version, which I did not post to Serenes, was still 99% serious, and the one joke present there has been removed from this version. It's only an April Fool's hack in so much as it was released on the 1st of April; think of FEIV's yearly updates falling on the 1st of April. The next question is why release on the 1st of April and not any other day of the year; this is because it's a tradition of mine to release something on April Fools. Since you've read my FEU profile, you should have seen an April Fools every year from me since 2016. While the older hacks were humourous jokes, I had just started working on this a few days beforehand and wanted to get a release out. The motivator was the deadline. I wanted to release something on the 1st of April, and I did. This was the v1.0 release. It was alright, but I felt I could do better. So a few months later I set out on comparing the FE3 and FE12 scripts line by line. This revealed that the first patch missed several details, which I have since corrected. I also found out how the narrow font was used, which resolved some issues with abbreviations being in use. With a symbolic date approaching, that of FE12's tenth anniversary, I got back to work. And on that anniversary, I released the updated version of this hack. This version I opted to post to Serenes because I wanted to spread the word: the hack is completely serious. I don't make Serenes threads for joke hacks. 

In short: It's only April Fools in so much as that was the date of choice, this version is completely serious, I'll clarify my FEU profile description shortly.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:37 AM, karlak said:

Really cool. Can't wait to try it.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:14 AM, GlitchWarrior said:

I had no idea content was cut from FE3 when they made FE12. I'll have to play this thing.

I hope you enjoy!

On 8/10/2020 at 4:44 AM, Darrman said:

This incarnation of the hack is 100% serious. The first version, which I did not post to Serenes, was still 99% serious, and the one joke present there has been removed from this version. It's only an April Fool's hack in so much as it was released on the 1st of April; think of FEIV's yearly updates falling on the 1st of April. The next question is why release on the 1st of April and not any other day of the year; this is because it's a tradition of mine to release something on April Fools.

I'm glad to know that this is serious, at least I don't have to feel anymore like an April Fool, although laughing is good for everyone. Truthfully said, I don't know of what exactly a joke hack consists… Apparently I should try couple of them.

Edited by WolfTwin