Golden Deer no recruit. Good or Bad idea ?

If Golden Deer have no recruit then we have :

- Byleth

- Claude

- Lorenz 

- Raphael 

- Ignatz

- Lysithea

- Marianne

- Hilda

- Leonie

- Seteth 

- Flayn

It's good or bad idea on this route without recruit ?

Awful idea. A good deal of them are... not great, to say the least. Not to mention you miss out on faculty training in part 2.

Edited by Shadow Mir

You'll do fine; that team covers all the bases adequately. Obviously it's easier/better to grab some of the stronger recruits but it's far from essential. You will also miss out on adjutants much of the time.

That's how I played all my first runs. Even now, I hesitate to recruit people from different houses, because it kinda defeats the purpose of picking a house to me.
So, as someone who's done this at least four times by now, let me tell you that you'll do fine, maybe unless you play on Maddening or something (I haven't tried Madenning yet).

Are you on Maddening? If not, then you should be fine.

Golden Deer has pretty good characters that can fill all the roles you need (yes, I do think Raphael should be considered a good character in this type of run mainly because of the unreliable Defense Power of the units). Also, don't you get the Church guys in post-skip? I'm 60% sure you do even if you don't recruit them in pre-skip..

Honestly I wouldn't really recommend not recruiting anyone, cuz Byleth, Claude, the other seven GD students, Seteth, and Flayn is just simply too small of a party, especially since Claude doesn't get any exclusive recruits of his own unlike Dimitri and Edelgard on their respective routes.

If you're playing as a female Byleth, then you should at least recruit Hanneman for his paired ending with Lysithea.

Spoiler

She doesn't survive in any of her endings with the Golden Deer students except maybe Claude.

46 minutes ago, RainbowMoon said:

If you're playing as a female Byleth, then you should at least recruit Hanneman for his paired ending with Lysithea.

Hide contents

She doesn't survive in any of her endings with the Golden Deer students except maybe Claude.

I always choose the man. Thanks.

I had done a run like this a while ago on maddening and it was easy (or at least easier than blue lion recruitless, and easy as far as maddening goes). I'd recommend it if you want a bit of challenge but from what I got, blue lion recruitless is a lot harder (still haven't beaten the final boss yet after 50+ attempts)

6 hours ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

Are you on Maddening? If not, then you should be fine.

Golden Deer has pretty good characters that can fill all the roles you need (yes, I do think Raphael should be considered a good character in this type of run mainly because of the unreliable Defense Power of the units). Also, don't you get the Church guys in post-skip? I'm 60% sure you do even if you don't recruit them in pre-skip..

If you play the game a certain way (mainly for me, kill everything before they can get to me) then the game has it's challenges but is decently easy (as far as maddening goes). Only thing for me was the end where I had to sacrifice Lysithea to kill the final boss (it was either her or 2+ other units because Nemesis is a POWERHOUSE when you got no good defence units).

imo, this is totally doable. It's the cast you have for ch 13 (Dawn Breaks, the first one after the timeskip), so you'll train them up anyways. However, I like having at least 15 people in my army. Last chapter lets you deploy 12 characters and 3 adjutants.

I normally play this game using 8 units (Byleth +7), so long as you pick a difficulty you're okay with you can do whatever you want. (Only pick hard mode if you're a pro or in NG+, only pick maddening if you're a genius or planned out and optimized every small detail.)

Even in Maddening you'll be fine if you know what you are doing (my first maddening run was with them, and the only out of house units I used were Catherine and Seteth, others were adjutants). Most of the GD units are really good, and in Hard or Normal you can do everything with them and be fine all the way.

19 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Awful idea. A good deal of them are... not great, to say the least. Not to mention you miss out on faculty training in part 2.

He won't miss out faculty training in part 2 as any student can teach you in their boon skills if they are higher than yours in part 2. And between all students, you'll cover basically anything you need.

4 minutes ago, Myssdii said:

He won't miss out faculty training in part 2 as any student can teach you in their boon skills if they are higher than yours in part 2. And between all students, you'll cover basically anything you need.

Shadow Mir might be referring to the fact that faculty can teach you in Part 2 even if their weapon rank is lower than yours (which is not the case for students). Byleth is likely to have higher ranks than the students in their preferred weapon(s) for much of Part 2, and if you failed to get A rank authority before the end of Part 1, then Seteth is probably the only person in your army who can teach that. 

1 minute ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Shadow Mir might be referring to the fact that faculty can teach you in Part 2 even if their weapon rank is lower than yours (which is not the case for students). Byleth is likely to have higher ranks than the students in their preferred weapon(s) for much of Part 2, and if you failed to get A rank authority before the end of Part 1, then Seteth is probably the only person in your army who can teach that. 

By the timeskip, it's highly probable that units like Ignatz or Claude have higher Authority than Byleth (at least Ignatz since most of his strength comes from his rallies that are unlocked with Authority). The only skill you might miss is Swords, I'd say, but Byleth can easily level it up on his/her own.
You won't have multiple trainings per week for every skill without a lot of additional units, but you should get some at least between Seteth and the students.

3 hours ago, Myssdii said:

Most of the GD units are really good

Really? Because I honestly felt that when I played as the Blue Lions after, I felt like I had moved from the Dawn Brigade to the Greil Mercenaries; the Lions have no obvious weak links, unlike the Deer and probably the Eagles. Having who's supposed to be the tank fail miserably at that, which Raphael does, is just a pain in the ass.

That's if and only if they have higher skill levels than Byleth. The faculty and knights aren't restricted in this regard.

By the timeskip, it's highly probable that units like Ignatz or Claude have higher Authority than Byleth (at least Ignatz since most of his strength comes from his rallies that are unlocked with Authority). The only skill you might miss is Swords, I'd say, but Byleth can easily level it up on his/her own.
You won't have multiple trainings per week for every skill without a lot of additional units, but you should get some at least between Seteth and the students.

I don't really see it - speed is the only noteworthy one Ignatz gets until S authority, where he gets Rally Strength (which is most likely coming too late to matter, if at all).

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Really? Because I honestly felt that when I played as the Blue Lions after, I felt like I had moved from the Dawn Brigade to the Greil Mercenaries; having who's supposed to be the tank fail miserably at that, which Raphael does, is just a pain in the ass.

That's if and only if they have higher skill levels than Byleth. The faculty and knights aren't restricted in this regard.

I don't really see it - speed is the only noteworthy one Ignatz gets until S authority, where he gets Rally Strength (which is most likely coming too late to matter, if at all).

I've had the reverse impression: BL maddening has been more difficult for me than GD. GD students don't need tanks when they have high mobility and better range than any other house naturally. I agree that Raphael sucks though, but every other unit ranges from ok to amazing (and mostly amazing).

Ignatz doesn't need much outside of bows and authority to be really efficient (a D+ in axes to unlock Brigand for Death Blow, and 12 instructs in Reason to get Seal Strength and you're good to go), so all the extra passive tutoring with goals can go in Bow + Authority, allowing him to reach A-rank and the strongest battalions really early without needing to instruct him too much.

51 minutes ago, Myssdii said:

I've had the reverse impression: BL maddening has been more difficult for me than GD. GD students don't need tanks when they have high mobility and better range than any other house naturally. I agree that Raphael sucks though, but every other unit ranges from ok to amazing (and mostly amazing).

Ignatz doesn't need much outside of bows and authority to be really efficient (a D+ in axes to unlock Brigand for Death Blow, and 12 instructs in Reason to get Seal Strength and you're good to go), so all the extra passive tutoring with goals can go in Bow + Authority, allowing him to reach A-rank and the strongest battalions really early without needing to instruct him too much.

I can't say about on Maddening, but I found recruiting more of a necessity than a luxury on my first playthrough, which was with the Deer. It's not like Raphael is the only loser among the Deer, either; Lorenz and Ignatz also struggled to pull their weight, more so the former.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I can't say about on Maddening, but I found recruiting more of a necessity than a luxury on my first playthrough, which was with the Deer. It's not like Raphael is the only loser among the Deer, either; Lorenz and Ignatz also struggled to pull their weight, more so the former.

Ignatz is a Maddening beast, many people were ditching him as bad before doing a GD maddening run ^^

His rallies and debuffs become much more stronger in Maddening, while they seem mostly unnecessary in Normal and Hard as most units can double or one shot with ease. The fact that he gets Rally Speed at D rank in a game were all enemies have extremely boosted stats is amazing to avoid getting doubled early on. He's amazing in the beginning of the run and stays relevant because of how strong bows and Snipers are in this game.

Lorenz is an nice unit, with a pretty unique niche of being a good mixed attacker (capable of dealing magic and physical damage). He's much more complicated to use than most, and is way better as a Paladin than a pure mage so you can benefit from extra movement and canto. There is a topic on Lorenz somewhere where I posted my advice on him, so I won't do it here as it's not the main topic ^^

I'd say the GD is probably the easiest house for Maddening just because of their natural affinity for bows and riding/flying. They have a lot of map control through early B-rank Warp with Lysithea and Claude's Encloser + unique battalion post-timeskip (as well as having the only class that combines flying + Bowfaire), debuffs on multiple units (Ignatz, Hilda and Leonie) and early Rally Speed (with the right set-up, you can unlock it for chapter 2).