New Heroes: Heroes, Light and Shadows

NSSKG151

41 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Not all infantry swords are the same situation, some are more strongly associated with swords and being infantry than others.

Sure, but spring Bartre and bride Oboro both did not need to be infantry swords (especially since they're seasonals) while fallen Ike and baby Marth did not need to be things at all (especially when there were already two infantry sword Ikes and Marths).

That, and I'd say the infantry sword bloat is a bit more concerning than lance flying's when the former now makes up nearly 12% percent (65/547) of the game's entire roster.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Sure, but spring Bartre and bride Oboro both did not need to be infantry swords (especially since they're seasonals) while fallen Ike and baby Marth did not need to be things at all (especially when there were already two infantry sword Ikes and Marths).

And then you have Shanan, Larcei, and Say’ri, who do need to be infantry swords. So you must consider them on a case-by-case basis.

That, and I'd say the infantry sword bloat is a bit more concerning than lance flying's when the former now makes up nearly 12% percent (65/547) of the game's entire roster.

It reflects the demographic of the series, a lot of characters don’t make sense as anything other than sword infantry. Which is why OC and seasonal units should be filling the gaps instead of adding to the bloat of sword infantry.

Edited by Baldrick

5 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Not only did fallen Ike not have to be a thing, but he also didn't have to use Ragnell. He has a perfectly fine associated sword called Ettard that has been over looked several times now, and it would be thematically relevant as it was the sword Greil used while berserk (of course Fallen Greil would have been a far better choice for a character than Fallen Ike, not that any of this helps the infantry sword bloat in any way).

Edited by Jotari

I just fought a blonde, green-ish eyed sword infantry and didn't even recognise him. Turns out it was Owain. There are just so many of them now that their individual identities are just so completely meaningless. And still somehow people still want Inigo and Severa added as duplicate sword infantries, ehhh, at least make them different classes, c'mon.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I just fought a blonde, green-ish eyed sword infantry and didn't even recognise him. Turns out it was Owain. There are just so many of them now that their individual identities are just so completely meaningless. And still somehow people still want Inigo and Severa added as duplicate sword infantries, ehhh, at least make them different classes, c'mon.

I can't really fault anyone wanting Inigo and Severa in the game, though dancer Inigo is enough for me. But there really is no good reason to give Kris or any seasonal unit a sword. Severa could be a mounted sword unit or even a mounted archer given Bow Knight is one of her natural promotions.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

But there really is no good reason to give Kris or any seasonal unit a sword.

Mercenary is his canon class, and being his first appearance in the game... I think it's fair to give him a sword. That's a good reason in my opinion.

"There are too many sword units" it's not a reason for them to not make sword unit anymore, or at least for a while.

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Hahaha. GHB Eremiya has Dazzling Staff. Because of course she does.

Fuck off, IS.

Wow, they'll do that, but not actually put it in her real kit. Fuck off, IS indeed.

GHB units always have different skills in the fight. It makes perfect sense for the boss version to have it even with them not being willing to hand it out free. 

I just wish she had a prf. GHBs should always have prfs.

26 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Mercenary is his canon class, and being his first appearance in the game... I think it's fair to give him a sword. That's a good reason in my opinion.

"There are too many sword units" it's not a reason for them to not make sword unit anymore, or at least for a while.

If mercenary is his canon class then female Kris should have been sword infantry too. Unless canon class merit only works for men.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

If mercenary is his canon class then female Kris should have been sword infantry too. Unless canon class merit only works for men.

They did it to not have another Byleth situation, where both a sword units competing with each other. It's nice to have one of each class, like how each OG Robin is a different color of tome unit, or Male Corrin represent the sword while Female Corin represents the dragon power Corrin has.

Having both as sword would have even more people complaining that already have. Oh, but I am sure you would be super happy with both being sword.

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

They did it to not have another Byleth situation, where both a sword units competing with each other. It's nice to have one of each class, like how each OG Robin is a different color of tome unit, or Male Corrin represent the sword while Female Corin represents the dragon power Corrin has.

Having both as sword would have even more people complaining that already have. Oh, but I am sure you would be super happy with both being sword.

For real. Also, they did F Kris a huge favor by putting her into one of the rarest unit types in the game.

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

For real. Also, they did F Kris a huge favor by putting her into one of the rarest unit types in the game.

I totally agree.

I am happy that they made each Kris a different class. Even though they have the same stats and their weapon have the same role, being one sword and the other lance makes them unique... and more infantry lance units are always welcomed. I wish we get one that is grail or 3-4* unit someday.

Yeah, I'm happy with the way the Kris unit types were handled. One gets the "default" class, the other gets a related but much less common one. 

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

No, that obviously wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was that the fact that they give them a sword on the box art is zero obligation for them to have a sword in game when it's not their canon class at all. If it were their canon class then they would have  given both of them swords, but it's not, so they decided to give female Kris a lance (a class not even playable in her game). They had as much obligation to make either Kris a sword unit as they did making them a mage.

Edited by Jotari

With a surplus of sword infantry units, ideally you’d want to avoid giving it to any unit when possible. Kris had no canon prf sword and a variable default class, so the need to make him sword infantry was quite weak.

15 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Yeah, it’s been several days since the last lance flier.

I didn't count Summer Ingrid as "worthless" or "samey", since her kit's actually pretty interesting and her stats are ridiculous, especially her speed. 

15 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Lance fliers could strive to be more like Ingrid and less like ... well, Travant.

Yeah, if they're going to add a lance flier, IS should at least try to do something interesting with them. I give them an A+ for effort when it comes to Fiora, because at least they tried to make her a good user of Pegasus Flight.

12 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

As for infantry swords, they've only gone a single month this year (February, and that's mostly moot since they added four in January) without adding one

Yeah... infantry swords.

Well, on the bright side, this banner's pretty skippable for me, which means more orbs to try to summon said Summer Ingrid. Then I'll finally have all 4 units from a banner for once... That'd be nice.

1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

With a surplus of sword infantry units, ideally you’d want to avoid giving it to any unit when possible. Kris had no canon prf sword and a variable default class, so the need to make him sword infantry was quite weak.

This, basically. FEH made me think Kris was supposed to be a sword infantry by default, when really he/she could be... anything? IS could have and should have used their imagination. Female Kris is cool, though.

3 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

Well, on the bright side, this banner's pretty skippable for me, which means more orbs to try to summon said Summer Ingrid. Then I'll finally have all 4 units from a banner for once... That'd be nice.

Really? Because Spurn looks really, really good as far as skills go. And it's available on two units. And you can get a guaranteed unit after 40 summons, and you can save up to 25 orbs using forging bonds and free pulls on it.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Really? Because Spurn looks really, really good as far as skills go. And it's available on two units. And you can get a guaranteed unit after 40 summons, and you can save up to 25 orbs using forging bonds and free pulls on it.

As much as I'd like Spurn (and Close Foil from Julian), I'm fresh out of orbs after spending 100+ on the summer Three Houses banner (and I'm a F2P player). Although my luck's been pretty good on the 3H banner, before last week I hadn't gotten a banner 5 star since May (L! Ephraim on the Mila banner), so I don't really want to risk my luck, especially on a New Heroes banner. Even if I could save 25 orbs from tickets (and I definitely will), that still leaves 135 orbs for me to get from almost nowhere, since I've exhausted story maps, Chain Challenge, Arena Assault, etc. Also, I'm still really traumatized from trying to spark on the Fallen banner and getting 39 of 40 summons... *sob* 

4 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

You're right, though, Spurn is really tantalizing... maybe if I get Summer Ingrid right away, I'll shift my focus. Thanks for motivating me, we'll see 🙂

you have until the 8th of August, so you should have a nice few to try to get some 🙂 i hope you get ingrid soon!

3 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

you have until the 8th of August, so you should have a nice few to try to get some 🙂 i hope you get ingrid soon!

That's true. I'll try to summon later today, so hopefully gacha will be kind... Thanks! 🙂 

6 hours ago, SirErrant said:

This, basically. FEH made me think Kris was supposed to be a sword infantry by default, when really he/she could be... anything? IS could have and should have used their imagination. Female Kris is cool, though.

That’s how I feel about Summer Ingrid and any other seasonal that’s a common type of unit.