What are some characters you unexpectedly enjoyed?

Are there any characters that you weren't expecting to enjoy playing, but actually ended up loving?

For me:

Terry

Was probably the most underwhelming announcement of FP1 for me. But he is a blast to play. 

Mario

Simple, but effective, and I love comboing into his Up Special uppercuts like he's a knockoff Street Fighter character or something. SHORYUKEN!

Cloud

It's only recently that I've become a FF fan with the FF7R. I disliked every entry I played prior. So I wasn't expecting to like Cloud. But what a badass character and moveset!

Hero

i'm still at the very beginning of DQXI (never played any DQ game aside from the very first), but when Sakurai showcased his moveset, i immediately fell in love with him, and i love the fact that he has RNG mechanics

Edited by Yexin

Terry.

Genuinely didn't expect to get much out of him because he was revealed long before I had Ultimate and I never expected to get the DLC either. But as you've said yourself:

44 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

he is a blast to play.

Edited by Light Strategist

There are some characters whom I've been playing recently in Ultimate that, closer to release, I would have told you are just bastardized versions of already gross Smash 4 movesets. But now I've come around on them

Mii Brawler: Brawler's A attacks don't combo into each other for noteworthy damage, he's not especially fast, his recovery is awful, and he has trouble landing the kill, but all that changes when you map out his ideal special moves. Shotput is a high damage projectile with a funky angle, letting you fish for free damage when an opponent is offstage. Thrust Uppercut is pretty short for a recovery move, but gives Brawler a huge suite of vertical combos and kill confirms he wouldn't have otherwise. His side B options are all pretty bad, Onslaught can kill, but is laggy and stops on shields, Burning dropkick is what I take to have just one more recovery move in the tool belt that doesn't induce special fall, but I'll seldom use it. Feint Jump is a poor imitation of ZSS's down B, but its a revelation for fixing his recovery. And together with burning dropkick you can pass on one or the other if you want a different side or down B, not that the other options are totally compelling.

Metaknight: I love offstage edgeguarding, but most of the characters I play can barely dip their toes offsage without risking a selfdestruct. Metaknight has a ludicrous five double jumps and his B-air is a huge hitbox. I also enjoy the new tornado and don't find him as reliant on the ladder combo as I was expecting.

Diddy Kong: Honestly, I've just been waiting for diddy kong to not be broken to pick him up. The banana is so fun to play with, and exploding into people with the rocket barrel is something I'll never not enjoy doing.