I just had a thought a way to add a Golden Sun fighter for Ultimate

King Marth 64

I just had a thought as of right now to see if there was a way to add a Golden Sun playable protagonist to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Since Issac was brought back in Ultimate as an Assist Trophy again since Brawl. I just had a thought that what if Issac's son Matthew from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn should be a DLC playable character in Ultimate since Spring Man was an Assist Trophy in Ultimate and Min Min was later brought to Fighter Pass Vol. 2 along with ARMS music and Spring Stadium stage. This just gave me a thought when I was exploring the entire Assist Trophies in Ultimate and there might be a way to add a Golden Sun rep for Ultimate.

I definitely think Matthew from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn should join since here's my thoughts on why:

• I did checked the entire roster and I did saw there was lack of multiple characters were debut from the Nintendo DS system and Lucario was the only Nintendo DS debut character in the entire roster in Super Smash Bros. series. And I think if Matthew joins in that should take away Lucario's condition as the only Nintendo DS debut character in the entire roster since Matthew was debut from the Nintendo DS system game library as well.
  • Since Issac is already an Assist Trophy, I think this would work for Matthew to join in since Spring Man was an Assist Trophy and we didn't know earlier before Min Min back then was announced that other characters from the same franchise can get join in as reps while there's no other characters as playable characters from the same franchise and had an Assist Trophy in-game.
  • There wasn't much Dark Dawn characters appears as Spirits besides Matthew and his father in his adult form are in-game spirits and we know in-game spirits can't be deconfirmed to be as DLC Fighters for Ultimate since Min Min was added in the game a while ago.

So do you think about maybe Matthew from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn should join in the roster as a DLC Fighter while his father is stuck as an Assist Trophy in Ultimate similar to like Min Min and Spring Man were handled in Ultimate?

Edited by King Marth 64

I still think an ARMS character was a mistake for the first FP2 character, given the main response I heard most Byleth defenders give was 'oh, they must have had issues with making the fifth FP1 character, it'll appear as the first FP2 fighter and will definitely be new-franchise like all of FP1 was supposed to be' then surprise, ARMS.

So no, I think a Golden Sun character is a bad idea until we get at least one more new-franchise fighter to make up for Byleth psyching so much of the fanbase out. That said, the smash fanbase needs to grow up and grow a pair, my brother's entire experience with Fire Emblem is through smash and he's just as bad about it as the rest of them. So sick of hearing it called a Gay Dating Sim by morons who haven't even touched the series once.

I find it surprising that anyone would only suddenly realize this. I don't want to be a dick or anything, but it seems monstrously obvious that Matthew could serve as backup pick with Isaac locked out for being an assist trophy. Not that I think a Golden Sun rep is all that likely. Dark Dawn underperformed if I recall and the series has been left dead in the water for quite some years now.

Felix is also a possibility, on account of the recent debunking of the "Spirits deconfirm" theory. Or Jenna; Jenna might be cool, actually.

Personally I think it'd be fun to have a sort of Dragon Quest Hero-like setup and include Isaac, Felix, Matthew, and maybe Himi as alts of the same character with two colors apiece. That said, I don't actually know if it'd work to have Himi in there since she's so different from the first three in terms of her own stats and such... Maybe like, three colors for Isaac and Felix and one for Matthew? I dunno

I know Isaac's already an Assist Trophy, but they could always do something like how Link is replaced in the background of the Spirit Train stage if he's present as a fighter and make it so that another, non-playable character with Move shows up instead of Isaac if he's present as a fighter.

First of all, we don’t even know if assist trophies deconfirm. Second of all, while I would be fine with him, Matthew isn’t as iconic as Isaac. Isaac works because he’s been pretty popular around smash speculation, and for a pretty much dead series, that’s important. Since Dark Dawn didn’t do too hot, I doubt they would put a representative from that in the game. It’s either Isaac, or nothing... 😕

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

First of all, we don’t even know if assist trophies deconfirm. Second of all, while I would be fine with him, Matthew isn’t as iconic as Isaac. Isaac works because he’s been pretty popular around smash speculation, and for a pretty much dead series, that’s important. Since Dark Dawn didn’t do too hot, I doubt they would put a representative from that in the game. It’s either Isaac, or nothing... 😕

Unless the heaven's aline and Matthew some how gets a second game. Because Dark Dawn left a tonne of plot threads dangling.

I still have my hopes on Isaac. Pulling double-duty isn't unheard of, when you look at the likes of Rathalos, or Young Link in his Spirit Tracks stage which in this case is dynamic. But at this point I'd be content with any playable Golden Sun character. I won't deny, I have a soft spot for the series. First RPG I ever played.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Unless the heaven's aline and Matthew some how gets a second game. Because Dark Dawn left a tonne of plot threads dangling.

Chances don't look for Matthew. Even if we get a sequel to Dark Dawn, it's very possible the protagonist will be Takeru, not him.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I still have my hopes on Isaac. Pulling double-duty isn't unheard of, when you look at the likes of Rathalos, or Young Link in his Spirit Tracks stage which in this case is dynamic. But at this point I'd be content with any playable Golden Sun character. I won't deny, I have a soft spot for the series. First RPG I ever played.

Chances don't look for Matthew. Even if we get a sequel to Dark Dawn, it's very possible the protagonist will be Takeru, not him.

Yeah but I would at least expect him to play a major role in it ala Isaac in Lost Age. And looking similar to Isaac could give him an edge over a hypothetical protagonist!Takeru (especially if the smash appearance was co developed with the game which would take longer to make and finalize abilities/designs).

9 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

I know Isaac's already an Assist Trophy, but they could always do something like how Link is replaced in the background of the Spirit Train stage if he's present as a fighter and make it so that another, non-playable character with Move shows up instead of Isaac if he's present as a fighter.

That Link was a background character though, not an assist trophy. So it's not the same thing at all.

It could be handled the same way, is the thing.

I'm not saying they will do it (I'm almost certain they wouldn't), it's more like, how I'd handle the Assist Trophy situation if I were somehow able to force Isaac in as a playable character.

I guess my question is "why would they?" Golden Sun at its peak performance barely broke a million copies, and the entire franchise is just 3 games with dwindling sales figures from game to game. Dark Dawn's figures are actually sad, failing to break 100k in Japan. Those kinds of sharp spikes downward for sequels kind of show a failure to connect with a majority of people who bought each game.

We have major JRPG franchises like Tales, YS, and Kiseki that are both relevant today AND have long enough legacies to be nostalgic, going back to 1995, 1987, and 1989 respectfully.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier