Minor Bosses you'd like to see

Jotari

7 hours ago, Othin said:

Indeed. I'm not sure why they've been holding off for so long.

I can always return to this old Japanese poll that may have influenced the Elibean preferences of FEH for an answer. 

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/fe6-7-complete-character-poll-results-and-comment-translations-2004/

Nergal's ranking was 67th, two away from dead last, above Hannah the temporary fortune teller and Durbans, but below the effeminate axe brothers, Erik the jerk, and Brendan Reed the nonexistent.

It works equally well to explain the absence of Melady, despite her now-present popularity (and recognized gameplay greatness -but everyone you love and use is the very best unit to a more casual player), she finished 27th in the Binding poll, below both of the younger Peg sisters. She finished above Gwendy yes, but Gwendy maybe was needed in FEH from the very start to have a decent number of Armor units more than Melady was needed for Fliers.

Nergal is Yet Another Cackling Evil Old Man Red Tome Infantry GHB Sorcerer too, so why bother with him in FEH? Any, irrelevant for a popularity poll, critical argument in praise of him stemming from intimately antagonistic bonds with the heroes, is cancelled by criticisms of his unrivaled irrationality in carrying out his goals.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can always return to this old Japanese poll that may have influenced the Elibean preferences of FEH for an answer. 

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/fe6-7-complete-character-poll-results-and-comment-translations-2004/

Nergal's ranking was 67th, two away from dead last, above Hannah the temporary fortune teller and Durbans, but below the effeminate axe brothers, Erik the jerk, and Brendan Reed the nonexistent.

It works equally well to explain the absence of Melady, despite her now-present popularity (and recognized gameplay greatness -but everyone you love and use is the very best unit to a more casual player), she finished 27th in the Binding poll, below both of the younger Peg sisters. She finished above Gwendy yes, but Gwendy maybe was needed in FEH from the very start to have a decent number of Armor units more than Melady was needed for Fliers.

Nergal is Yet Another Cackling Evil Old Man Red Tome Infantry GHB Sorcerer too, so why bother with him in FEH? Any, irrelevant for a popularity poll, critical argument in praise of him stemming from intimately antagonistic bonds with the heroes, is cancelled by criticisms of his unrivaled irrationality in carrying out his goals.

That's interesting, but given how nonsensical it would be for them to go off those results for current hero selections when they have so many more recent polls, I do not think it's relevant.

There's plenty to criticize about Nergal's methods, but I don't think flaws with a character are relevant either, they can't cancel out a character's importance to their fans. He's a memorable antagonist with a large amount of presence, and specifically, one from the first game to bring Fire Emblem outside of Japan. FE has plenty of cackling evil old men who use dark magic, but Nergal, with his 1,718 total CYL votes, is no Veld (129 votes) or Manfroy (341 votes), or even Jedah (706 votes) or Validar (1,238 votes).

That said, while I think FE7's role in the series is a good reason to add key characters from it, IS doesn't seem to agree, considering how we still haven't gotten characters like Kent or Sain or Athos. Or Marcus, for that matter, who isn't particularly popular but would have been a fine candidate for a common launch character.

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

That's interesting, but given how nonsensical it would be for them to go off those results for current hero selections when they have so many more recent polls, I do not think it's relevant.

There's plenty to criticize about Nergal's methods, but I don't think flaws with a character are relevant either, they can't cancel out a character's importance to their fans. He's a memorable antagonist with a large amount of presence, and specifically, one from the first game to bring Fire Emblem outside of Japan. FE has plenty of cackling evil old men who use dark magic, but Nergal, with his 1,718 total CYL votes, is no Veld (129 votes) or Manfroy (341 votes), or even Jedah (706 votes) or Validar (1,238 votes).

That said, while I think FE7's role in the series is a good reason to add key characters from it, IS doesn't seem to agree, considering how we still haven't gotten characters like Kent or Sain or Athos. Or Marcus, for that matter, who isn't particularly popular but would have been a fine candidate for a common launch character.

I am honestly shocked Validar has more votes than Jedah.

Honestly, I feel like Kent, Sain, and Marcus (FE6 or FE7, either's good) should've been in the game at launch. I think the reason why we still don't have those mentioned characters is because we have other Cain and Abel duos and classic Jagens in the game, so including them at this point would probably be redundant.

26 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Honestly, I feel like Kent, Sain, and Marcus (FE6 or FE7, either's good) should've been in the game at launch. I think the reason why we still don't have those mentioned characters is because we have other Cain and Abel duos and classic Jagens in the game, so including them at this point would probably be redundant.

Launch does seem like it would have been a good place for them. I guess their reasoning must have been that they wanted the original Cain/Abel/Jagen trio and their Awakening counterparts and didn't want to overload on those archetypes too soon. In the long run, though, it would be very odd to continue excluding them. Particularly Kent and Sain, since they've proven quite popular, unlike say their FE4 or FE6 counterparts. As Julian's Forging Bonds shows, Heroes is happy to add several characters that share an archetype and then have them spend a while chatting with each other.

29 minutes ago, Othin said:

Well, it used to be relevant at least, hence the early inclusion of Ursula (though she had Tome Cavalry in her favor too), but yeah, four CYLs should matter a lot more now.

30 minutes ago, Othin said:

There's plenty to criticize about Nergal's methods, but I don't think flaws with a character are relevant either, they can't cancel out a character's importance to their fans. He's a memorable antagonist with a large amount of presence, and specifically, one from the first game to bring Fire Emblem outside of Japan.

The fact I brought up his positive alongside his negative indicates that I'm not judging him as the negative outweighing the positive, only they cancel each other out to an undefined extent. Though as I said, critical analysis of characters is irrelevant to popularity polls; and I'll now add that yes, critical assessment is irrelevant to him being the main villain of FE7 and the reason for entry into FEH that comes with that too. 

35 minutes ago, Othin said:

The launch pool had two "Jagen BST" characters in it already, both Cavs of course. Marcus as third might have workable if they gave him a sword (I'd go FE7 Marcus then), but perhaps they thought it would be too much. Later fan feedback that the Jagen BST thing was not a good idea may have made them hold off on his inclusion.

Now that Bramimond is in the game, who is more obscure than Athos, and the game's continued absence of Forblaze, the Archsage is just a matter of time if you ask me. As for other FE7 characters, those who remain excluded are:

1. Kent
  2. Sain
  3. Wil
  4. Erk
  5. Wall-Ace
  6. Marcus
  7. Lowen
  8. Oswin
  9. Punch-A-Rock Bartre
  10. Guy
  11. Dart
  12. Isadora
  13. Geitz
  14. Farina
  15. Harken
  16. Vaida
  17. Renault
  18. Athos

And the problematic Merlinus.

Looks like a lot though 43-44 IIRC is the total roster of FE7, so it's less than half. Both its Armors and all its non-Priscilla Cavs remain. As to how to spin these:

• Uber Spear!Vaida sounds like Lance Flier GHB no. 4971, and Harken can be GHB'ed as well.
  • Pairing Marcus, Lowen, Bartre, and Oswin could be earlygame E/H Mode-themed. With a Guy GHB?
  • Kent, Sain, Wil, and Erk can make for a Lyndis's Legion banner. Squeeze in a Dart GHB on the Wil-Dan connection?
  • Isadora, Wallace, Geitz, and Farina can be assembled for a mid-lategame banner. Pair with the Harken or Vaida GHB.

This would leave Nergal, Renault, and one of Harken or Vaida in no-banner land though.

--

To remain on-topic, while she isn't quite fought, and I'd rather wait for a remake to hopefully explain her circumstances more, Aida. The mother of Saias and who somehow gave herself over to a young man who loathed his father's philandering and cut off all ties his half-illegitimates barring Azelle had to the Dukedom (or is it Duchy? does FEH have an answer?) of Velthomer.

Although to be honest, I want FE in the future to have a handsome young (17 of course), talented, promising one-off generic boss who sincerely believes in some good ideals the evil empire has. Add a backstory of bookseller father and washerwoman mother who have toiled in a provincial capital to give their child a good life, and the child is now a young officer having worked to obtain their rank and is still working to ascend higher for a life with unending peace of mind later. Basically a playable character, but never in any way ever one, why must the heroes have a monopoly on pretty prodigal peons? Let me feel some guilt at killing an almost faceless youth grunt. No, route splits don't count.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Merlinus

Don't understand why he's not in the game yet. He's literally the only unit in FE6/7 that is immune to dying. That should make him top tier automatically, right?

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Launch does seem like it would have been a good place for them. I guess their reasoning must have been that they wanted the original Cain/Abel/Jagen trio and their Awakening counterparts and didn't want to overload on those archetypes too soon. In the long run, though, it would be very odd to continue excluding them. Particularly Kent and Sain, since they've proven quite popular, unlike say their FE4 or FE6 counterparts. As Julian's Forging Bonds shows, Heroes is happy to add several characters that share an archetype and then have them spend a while chatting with each other.

Started playing FEH sometime last year and was genuinely puzzled why Kent and Sain weren't in the game already. Besides Cain and Abel, they're one of the most iconic cavalier duos, and since FE7 was the first western game, I thought they'd be relevant (and popular) enough to be in a gacha game. Guess not? On the bright side, Sain got a sizable amount of votes in CYL4, so hopes are high he'll get in soon.

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Umm... The thing is, I was going to write an explanation as to why this was the case (Validar was main antagonist of Awakening besides Grima, one of the most relevant and newest games in the franchise). But I forgot that Jedah was SoV's main antagonist. Which is newer. And arguably just as relevant. I guess Validar's just more memorable and has more screen time?

honestly Berkut takes all of the spotlight though

27 minutes ago, SirErrant said:

Don't understand why he's not in the game yet. He's literally the only unit in FE6/7 that is immune to dying. That should make him top tier automatically, right?

Started playing FEH sometime last year and was genuinely puzzled why Kent and Sain weren't in the game already. Besides Cain and Abel, they're one of the most iconic cavalier duos, and since FE7 was the first western game, I thought they'd be relevant (and popular) enough to be in a gacha game. Guess not? On the bright side, Sain got a sizable amount of votes in CYL4, so hopes are high he'll get in soon.

Umm... The thing is, I was going to write an explanation as to why this was the case (Validar was main antagonist of Awakening besides Grima, one of the most relevant and newest games in the franchise). But I forgot that Jedah was SoV's main antagonist. Which is newer. And arguably just as relevant. I guess Validar's just more memorable and has more screen time?

True. Not that I have anything against Berkut taking spotlight tho 😛 Jedah's still better than Validar though. Not saying much yeah, but still

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, it used to be relevant at least, hence the early inclusion of Ursula (though she had Tome Cavalry in her favor too), but yeah, four CYLs should matter a lot more now.

The funny thing about the early stuff is that we actually didn't get any "dark mage" GHBs the whole of 2017 in the first place. Until we got Lyon in early 2018, the only red tome GHB was Arvis, who's a fire mage and has a pretty different role from the archetype in question. Part of the reason is that the GHBs up to that point seemed to be staying away from main antagonists, the only real exception was Zephiel.

The fact I brought up his positive alongside his negative indicates that I'm not judging him as the negative outweighing the positive, only they cancel each other out to an undefined extent. Though as I said, critical analysis of characters is irrelevant to popularity polls; and I'll now add that yes, critical assessment is irrelevant to him being the main villain of FE7 and the reason for entry into FEH that comes with that too. 

I don't think they cancel out to any extent. The way I see it, all that matters is reasons in favor of adding a character and how strong those are, there's no such thing as a reason against adding a character that could act as any sort of counterweight. Although redundancy can be a reason to hold off temporarily.

In any case, it sounds like we're roughly in agreement about what that works out to overall.

The launch pool had two "Jagen BST" characters in it already, both Cavs of course. Marcus as third might have workable if they gave him a sword (I'd go FE7 Marcus then), but perhaps they thought it would be too much. Later fan feedback that the Jagen BST thing was not a good idea may have made them hold off on his inclusion.

I think they could add FE7 Marcus with normal BST without issues.

After Seth and Titania, I was briefly hoping we'd get Marcus with an Emerald Lance to complete a trio of earlygame Paladins with gem weapons and regular stats, although Oscar kind of derailed that.

Now that Bramimond is in the game, who is more obscure than Athos, and the game's continued absence of Forblaze, the Archsage is just a matter of time if you ask me. As for other FE7 characters, those who remain excluded are:

1. Kent
  2. Sain
  3. Wil
  4. Erk
  5. Wall-Ace
  6. Marcus
  7. Lowen
  8. Oswin
  9. Punch-A-Rock Bartre
  10. Guy
  11. Dart
  12. Isadora
  13. Geitz
  14. Farina
  15. Harken
  16. Vaida
  17. Renault
  18. Athos

And the problematic Merlinus.

Looks like a lot though 43-44 IIRC is the total roster of FE7, so it's less than half. Both its Armors and all its non-Priscilla Cavs remain. As to how to spin these:

• Uber Spear!Vaida sounds like Lance Flier GHB no. 4971, and Harken can be GHB'ed as well.
  • Pairing Marcus, Lowen, Bartre, and Oswin could be earlygame E/H Mode-themed. With a Guy GHB?
  • Kent, Sain, Wil, and Erk can make for a Lyndis's Legion banner. Squeeze in a Dart GHB on the Wil-Dan connection?
  • Isadora, Wallace, Geitz, and Farina can be assembled for a mid-lategame banner. Pair with the Harken or Vaida GHB.

This would leave Nergal, Renault, and one of Harken or Vaida in no-banner land though.

Seasonals could smooth things over. Although I don't think it's likely for them to use all of those slots on new playable characters, either. The last FE7 banner had regular Fiora, they could do the same for Pent and Louise at some point. FE7 also has a number of non-playable characters that could join in, either as GHBs or with the Ishtar/Mustafa treatment on a banner. Which circles back to the topic!

In order of total CYL votes, the non-playable FE7 characters who are still missing but did appear on CYL are: Limstella, Sonia, Nergal, Guinivere, and Ephidel. Which... doesn't really have any minor bosses, I guess. Also, FE7 Guinivere seems a lot less likely than her FE6 counterpart. So basically Nergal and his morphs. But that's enough to complicate the banner math further.

As for Forblaze, Lilina actually got it as her prf a while ago. But Athos could get an alt version of it.

Edited by Othin

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Solution there, make him a red breath unit instead who summons the fire dragon!

3 hours ago, SirErrant said:

Validar is more attractive. I'm not even joking, that's probably it.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Solution there, make him a red breath unit instead who summons the fire dragon!

I mean Validar still looks pretty fucking stupid, you gotta admit

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd say that the more probable reason is that Validar is from Awakening (and also appeared in FE Warriors for whatever that's worth) while Jedah is from the 3DS game that released in 2017. 

Edited by Tybrosion

I'm not sure what qualifies as minor, but I'd like to see:

FE7 - Erik and Lundgren. Erik stood out to me since he's Eliwood and Hector's friend, plus he's the only boss who survives FE7! Lundgren is the Lyn Mode main villain, and I appreciate that he's motivated by something besides being manipulated by assassin leagues or crazy dark mages.

FE8 - Carlyle. Memorably creepy.

FE10 - They're a bit more important, but Jarod and Levail. We get more lance infantry in the game, and both were quite memorable to me for what they are.

Awakening - Cervantes. Just meme value, really.

6 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Awakening is more popular than Echoes. Until Three Houses came along Awakening and Fates consistently got more total votes in CYL than other games. (I think they were still in the top three in CYL4 but I haven't checked.)

53 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I mean Validar still looks pretty fucking stupid, you gotta admit

Yeah but not nearly as silly as Jeddah.

22 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm not sure what qualifies as minor, but I'd like to see:

FE7 - Erik and Lundgren. Erik stood out to me since he's Eliwood and Hector's friend, plus he's the only boss who survives FE7! Lundgren is the Lyn Mode main villain, and I appreciate that he's motivated by something besides being manipulated by assassin leagues or crazy dark mages.

FE8 - Carlyle. Memorably creepy.

FE10 - They're a bit more important, but Jarod and Levail. We get more lance infantry in the game, and both were quite memorable to me for what they are.

Awakening - Cervantes. Just meme value, really.

Awakening is more popular than Echoes. Until Three Houses came along Awakening and Fates consistently got more total votes in CYL than other games. (I think they were still in the top three in CYL4 but I haven't checked.)

For some reason I feel Carlyle would be a good candidate for forging bonds. I'd just like to see him interact with Joshua. His creep factor isn't something that could be shown off to much in battle quotes, Forging Bonds is the arena to play with character dialogue.

I didn't twig on Jedah's gimmick when I played through SoV so in the end I just walked past him and finished the game. So Jedah is not in FEH because to this day he's still standing in that cave shouting "Guys? Guys? Where is everyone?"

Anyway, I can't believe I'm saying this but... I think we need a sword infantry minor boss more than we need yet another axe one. No, I haven't been kidnapped by aliens, but Glass is way more interesting than Batta to me. Glass could be an interesting deconstruction of the myrmidon trope, and how lame and one-dimensional most of them are as characters, despite how "cool" every FE game tries to present them as being.

Come to think of it, is Lloyd still the only sword infantry miniboss in FEH?

Edited by Humanoid

Regarding Validar's prominence in his game, I'm surprised no one's brought up a very important detail: he's an extremely prominent character's dad. Having ties like that (plus being a reoccurring boss, plus having some development over the course of the game while still having room to grow/explore) makes him an appealing candidate (at least imo) for Heroes. Jedah actually has a lot in common with him, and I'd find an interaction between the two interesting. Maybe throw some FE6 Zephiel in there, too. And Garnef. Make this a FB about dark dragons and how cool they are and stuff.

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Regarding Validar's prominence in his game, I'm surprised no one's brought up a very important detail: he's an extremely prominent character's dad. Having ties like that (plus being a reoccurring boss, plus having some development over the course of the game while still having room to grow/explore) makes him an appealing candidate (at least imo) for Heroes. Jedah actually has a lot in common with him, and I'd find an interaction between the two interesting. Maybe throw some FE6 Zephiel in there, too. And Garnef. Make this a FB about dark dragons and how cool they are and stuff.

Jedah, Validar, Ghost Garnef and Nergal on a banner (Manfroy as GHB) would be fun. Don't see it happening though as Heroes seems incapable to give us banners that mix different series.

On topic, Septimus is a lark and he could have some great battle quotes. Could also be a prime unit for putting anti beast weaponry on (not that much of that is necessary right now). I also want the Wind Edge, Hand Axe and Javelin in the game as inheritable DC weapons. I don't know why this hasn't happened yet. Lightning Breath has existed since almost day 1 and works fine as an inheritable weapon. Why can't non dragons get this? Hand Axes and Javelins are also iconic weapons in the series that deserve to be in Heroes. The Wind Edge not so much which is why I'd like it on a Radiant Dawn character for authenticity's sake. My first experience of a wind edge and my first experience of a cavalry unit at all was Burton, the boss of the Prison Break chapter in Radiant Dawn.

For Valentia, Either Marla or Hestia would be pretty cool and it seems like they actually have an outside shot. As a meme, that boss that Berkut replaced in the woods chapter. Don't even remember his name.

For Jugrdal, don't know if Ishtor counts, but I'd like to see him and Liza. Ovo might be fun too because why the hell does he have a unique sprite? Burian as well because Swanchika/Helswath was a sweet axe and a more recent axe cav would be nice since they don't seem to want to give us Gustav, though I do feel like I'm probably forgetting someone.

For Elibe, I feel obligated to say Rude because a friend of mine has an absurd ironic(?) love of the character. I've always had a soft spot for Eagler. His mustache is awesome and I'm a big fan of paladins. Uhai is one I've wanted for a while. Maybe GHB cav archer? Pascal and Jerme also might be fun. Pascal could get actual art to differentiate him from Bauker some and both of them being psychotic would be a bit fun to see in a forging bonds.

For Magvel, Orson and the remaining stones of Grado are probably too major to count for this I'm guessing. Past them, was never big on any of FE8's bosses.

For Tellius, fricking Nedata needs to have his moment. I've always had a strange affection for Haffedd, and he'd be an easy infantry spear. Also Kezhda as a colorless cat because we need more beasts.

Edited by bottlegnomes

On 7/24/2020 at 1:17 AM, Mercakete said:

Schaeferr (the map boss from PoR's ch22.) Has the best death quote and I want more lines from him.

I wrote the above before skimming the thread. @Fabulously Olivier, he would not throw priests. ... He'd throw babies. (Red dagger. Red because the Japanese word for "baby" is akachan, which basically means "little red.") And @Topaz Light I love that personal C skill idea. It needs to happen.

I love this idea more than words can express.

And I simply cannot believe how much positive reaction my Schaeffer comment has gotten. I was joking. And I love it. Let's make him the next meme lord.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

6 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

For Valentia, Either Marla or Hestia would be pretty cool and it seems like they actually have an outside shot. As a meme, that boss that Berkut replaced in the woods chapter. Don't even remember his name.

I've always thought Marla and Hestia could be excellent Halloween units. Like Greil you don't even need to really change their design. Just debut them as seasonals.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

And I simply cannot believe how much positive reaction my Schaeffer comment has gotten. I was joking. And I love it. Let's make him the next meme lord.

If he's in CYL next round, I'll throw him a few votes.

9 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Meanwhile, I was (half) serious and came up with the idea on my own, thanks. (Hence the note "I wrote this before skimming the thread.")

21 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

or Jugrdal, don't know if Ishtor counts, but I'd like to see him and Liza

Sure, why not? He has a good chance as it is just by being related to Ishtar, and indirectly, Reinhardt. (magic is everything) 

Him plus Liza would be a cute couple. 

21 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

For Magvel, Orson and the remaining stones of Grado are probably too major to count for this I'm guessing.

True, but Orson's still not in the game, and he'd be super cool (especially if they made him a fallen unit). Watch him be a Valentine's seasonal though.

8 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

I'm not sure if you would consider him a minor boss, but Levail is someone I really want to see. I'm disappointed he doesn't show up on the CYL voting. I would vote for him honestly.

If anything, I'm more surprised that Lekain isn't even an option on CYL, despite the fact that he has official artwork and is more or less the closest thing Radiant Dawn has to a main villain outside of Sephiran.