Owain/Odin Appreciation Thread

TheChoZenOne

Owain is my favorite Fire Emblem character alongside Ike. He is a very well written character for someone who is considered comic relief. His character revolves around him putting on a facade of an eccentric hero (chosen hero by fate and the sort). He does this to mask the trauma and anguish he feels of losing his parents and to put on a brave face for his comrades and make them feel better. It's cool to see a game go into the psychological aspect of a character while also making it their trait that makes them stand out. Owain can be hilairous and silly but he can also be romantic and sensitive too. He has hope that they truly can change the future of the time that has not been affected by Grima yet. It would be amazing to see an anime about Owain in particular. He is just so interesting and gives off the same vibe Steins Gate's Okabe Rintarou (Hyouin Kyouma) does, being over top and eccentric but also dramatic and deep as a character. 

The supports I particularly like are his Severa/Selena, Inigo/Laslow, Morgan, Lucina, Ophelia, Leo supports. I ship him with Severa in particular because I find it hilairous and sweet how someone like Owain, with his chuunibyou tendencies can win over a tsundere like Severa's heart. (Also because their dynamic is practically Okabe and Makise from Steins Gate in a way lol). I like the awakening trio's dynamic, they are immature and clearly dealing with their trauma rough in awakening, but you see them grow and develop in fates and change for the better. (Owain still has his quirks, even moreso tbh, but that's beside the point). I love that its revealed that Severa named her weapon after Owain since the beginning because he was always special to her. I love the fact that in Odin's S support, he mans up like a true man and tells the woman he loves how he feels (a lot of men can learn from him). His bromance with Inigo is hilarious. I love how Inigo is such a bully to Owain but then they eventually become best friends by Fates. You clearly see their bond in Fates and how long they have been friends. This all leads to their dlc paralogue in Fates (which I'm so happy they did and I would have wished it became its own side story game at one point or even anime OVA because they have such a wonderful dynamic.) Now I understand that the story of the dlc is dragged down by Fates writing. But if we are talking about just the interactions alone shared by these 3, it's surprisngly believable and well written. I enjoyed the paralogue so much in fact, that it made me want this dream of having an OVA of these 3 guys to become a reality. It just surprised me to have me fall in love with these characters (especially Owain) that were just side characters in their respective games. It's great.

I married Lissa to my Avatar, so Owain is my son. Which means I got to see the wonderful sibling support with Owain and Morgan which is very well done as well. They feel like true siblings and I like seeing Owain in a big brother role, it shows he takes responsibilty for his family (as they are the only survivors of their own) and that he truly cares for his sister and will protect her at any cost.

Lastly is his wonderful support with his very own daughter, Ophelia. His daughter is literally the splitting image of his mother in looks and splitting image of him in personality. It's so entertaining to see these two together and play in this eccentric fantasy they created. In Ophelia's case, though less reason being of a trauma, but moreso as just being chuunibyou in general (probably due to Odin's influence). She wants to become a "Chosen One" like her father, as that is the title their family strives for some reason. By the A support, a rare side of wisdom is shown from Odin. He tells Ophelia that all that stuff about chosen ones is nonsense. To Ophelia's surprise, she is disheartened by the news. But, Odin reveals it does not matter because she carries the blood of his mother, one of a legendary hero, and a father who died saving his life. He goes on and tells Ophelia, that she can be proud of who her ancestors were but that she isn't chosen for the same role, such as he. His message basically states its okay to be a side character but sometimes, the side ensemble is what makes the main heroes shine brigther. "A strong side ensemble ensures that the star shines brightest of all". I found this line particuarly touching and deep. And I won't lie, even teared up by the end of the support. It doesn't matter if you are paritcualrly special or talented. What matters is that you can help someone that IS, and your wisdom and help can aid someone that can do something great for the world. And knowing you were apart of their journey and growth makes it all the reason worth in doing your part. Because you were the one to help them shine brightest of all. You were their Chosen Ones.

Thank you for reading my thread. It got a little philosphical there at the end but I guess I just like to take something special and meaningful out of the things I consume from video games. I believe that's a good trait to have though. Let me know your guys' thoughts on Owain and why he is OUR Chosen One ❤

Fire Emblem Cipher S14 - Text-Free Artwork.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Instant click when I saw Owain. I don't think I've seen many appreciation posts or posts in general talking about him. Not going to lie, I have an extremely hard time choosing my favourite FE characters, I always get anxious that I've missed a lot that I like and keep thinking to myself what if I add them too? and in the end it's a whole roster of characters. But when it comes to Awakening and Fates, he's definitely at the top of the list. I absolutely adore Owain, he's charming, genuinely funny, and his methods of escapism make him a more loveable character. I actually didn't remember his support with Ophelia but reading it here made me feel things. It shows that he understands his behavior is exaggerated and over the top, he can't help acting this way because of his trauma, and he does not wish for his daughter to live in the border between reality and unreality as he has been forced to do. At least that's what I got from it.

I love most of the child units in Awakening, their designs and supports are all lovely. 

Also interesting that you compare them to Okabe and Makise, I started watching Steins Gate yesterday

tumblr_mrbdjuk0WG1rq6o2xo1_500 (2).jpg

It's also funny that I had Owain as a member badge for the longest time. Now he has been a little replaced by Saber who I also adore, but of course Owain always has a place in my heart.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:09 AM, radiantsage said:

Instant click when I saw Owain. I don't think I've seen many appreciation posts or posts in general talking about him. Not going to lie, I have an extremely hard time choosing my favourite FE characters, I always get anxious that I've missed a lot that I like and keep thinking to myself what if I add them too? and in the end it's a whole roster of characters. But when it comes to Awakening and Fates, he's definitely at the top of the list. I absolutely adore Owain, he's charming, genuinely funny, and his methods of escapism make him a more loveable character. I actually didn't remember his support with Ophelia but reading it here made me feel things. It shows that he understands his behavior is exaggerated and over the top, he can't help acting this way because of his trauma, and he does not wish for his daughter to live in the border between reality and unreality as he has been forced to do. At least that's what I got from it.

I love most of the child units in Awakening, their designs and supports are all lovely. 

Also interesting that you compare them to Okabe and Makise, I started watching Steins Gate yesterday

tumblr_mrbdjuk0WG1rq6o2xo1_500 (2).jpg

Hello!! I'm so glad you took time to read my appreciation post. Glad to see another Owain fan!! And it means a lot that I brought light to one of his supports!! Yes I agree 100% on everything you said, and thats a hilairious coincidence that you started watching Steins Gate!! Im so glad your watching it, its an amazing anime and one of my absolute favorites!! 😁 Hope we can be friends on here!!

18 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I can appreciate Owain a lot. He's a consistently amusing character. I can't appreciate Odin though because he's a consistently stale character. 

Its funny cuz a lot of ppl say this but I disagree completely. I feel if anything, the Awakening Trio got some well treated development in their supports and a lot of growth was shown in Fates for them. Also the DLC story with them has some of the best writing for fates which is saying a lot (for the characterization of the trio atleast). It SURPRISINGLY has some good writing here and there but you have to really look for it haha.

7 minutes ago, TheChoZenOne said:

Its funny cuz a lot of ppl say this but I disagree completely. I feel if anything, the Awakening Trio got some well treated development in their supports and a lot of growth was shown in Fates for them. Also the DLC story with them has some of the best writing for fates which is saying a lot (for the characterization of the trio atleast). It SURPRISINGLY has some good writing here and there but you have to really look for it haha.

I think the trio did get some good development. Severa became friendlier and a less demanding version of a tsundere and Inigo seems more responsible then he was in Awakening. But part of my problem with Odin is that I think he's the only one who's still the same as in Awakening. 

Owain is definitely one of my favorite characters in the 3DS games. I remember laughing my butt off during his recruitment chapter. His references to other games were such a fun surprise that I almost couldn't believe it. And as a unit he was pretty good too! 

Odin isn't bad. It's clearly Owain playing a role and dedicating himself to the mission and persona, and it's fine to me. Owain didn't really need to grow in the same way that Severa and Inigo did and has been better adjusted from the start, so it stands to reason that he didn't mature as much as them. But as a unit...I play Revelation exclusively at this point. I play Fates for the character sandbox experience, and Odin is recruited so late that unless I'm trying to recruit Ophelia, he's really not worth using. 

But as a character, yeah Owain is phenomenal. 

On 3/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, TheChoZenOne said:

Hello!! I'm so glad you took time to read my appreciation post. Glad to see another Owain fan!! And it means a lot that I brought light to one of his supports!! Yes I agree 100% on everything you said, and thats a hilairious coincidence that you started watching Steins Gate!! Im so glad your watching it, its an amazing anime and one of my absolute favorites!! 😁 Hope we can be friends on here!!

Why yes, of course we can! 

I'm really loving Steins Gate so far (I'm on episode 14) it's very well made. 

On 3/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, radiantsage said:

Why yes, of course we can! 

I'm really loving Steins Gate so far (I'm on episode 14) it's very well made. 

Awesome!! Glad ur enjoying it!! See u around man!! 😁