What would be a really bizarre/unexpected pick for Smash?

RomanFlour

This topic is basically what it says on the tin, who would be a really bizarre, unexpected, but at the same time somewhat doable (in that they're a video game character, not a meme pick like Shrek or Goku) in Smash bros and how would they play? This does not take into account things like copyright, feasability of actually appearing in Smash, etc. 

I know Phoenix Wright isn't necessarily an "out-there" choice, but I think he still be a bit bizarre. He did appear in MvC as a fighter, but it'd be difficult to derive a moveset from his original games. They could always make an original moveset, kinda like with Captain Falcon.

For a more out-there character, that Phoenix Wright, I'd like to see Stocke from Radiant Historia.

• 3 weeks later...

Marina from Mischief Makers. Her moveset revolves around her N Special, Shake-Shake. If she's not holding an item or opponent, she'll reach out her hand to grab. If she grabs an opponent this way, she can walk and jump around with them briefly and seague into an attack such as a punch or kick. If she's holding something, she can then use Shake-Shake to damage the held opponent or to possibly alter the held item. Shake-Shake can also stop projectiles and either grab them or turn them into blue or green healing gems.

Marina's S Special is Booster Dash, which has her rush forward using booster jets. The move can be spammed to chain boost, but each subsequent boost in the chain is shorter and weaker than the first.

Marina's U Special is Booster Jump, which works like Booster Dash but going upward.

Marina's D Special is Clanpot, which can be used to catch and store items. Marina can use Shake-Shake on the Clanpot to mix items inside. While a Clanpot is out, using D Special again will have Marina attempt to pull something out of it, though she has to be standing on or holding the Clanpot to do so. The Clanpot can of course be thrown as well.

Marina's Final Smash is Beastector. The combined mech fires off one attack from each member before they fire a rocket punch that Marina catches and throws back at them.

Segata Sanshiro could be an interesting, if not outright bizarre choice. He does have a videogame and popularity in Japan, but he would still be an unexpected pick.

• 3 months later...

Dirk the Daring from Dragon's Lair. Seeing a distinctly Western character like him in Smash would be so surreal. And yet, he is a video game character, and a pretty notable one at that. His game came out two years before Super Mario Bros., did you know? Those hand-drawn graphics looked pretty impressive next to the likes of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. If time and budget allowed it, I'd love to see his reveal trailer be animated by Don Bluth himself, or at least a poster like what Tetsuya Nomura did for Cloud. Yeah, a poster of Dirk surrounded by fellow Smash fighters all drawn by Bluth would be boss.

22 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Cooking Mama. She would attack using Cooking Utensils and throwing dishes. 

Game & Watch: "BEEEP boop beep."

(Translation: "Finally, a worthy opponent! Our cookoff will be legendary!")

Anyway, my answer is Madeline, from Celeste. To her credit, she's from a platformer - but it's a western indie one, which I doubt has much draw in Japan. And it's not like she's especially well-known.

Moveset:

Spoiler

General build: Fairly light (but not floaty). Fairly agile, and not especially hard-hitting. Small, hard to hit.

A-attacks: Pretty ordinary kick/punch attacks. Think Mario.

B-neutral: Level-Up. Her hair turns from red to pink, letting her double-dash. Cannot be done in midair.

B-side: Dash. A rapid horizontal dash attack (like Fox/Falco). If leveled-up, she can do a second one right after, in any direction (think Pikachu's B-up). After using this, her hair turns blue, and she can't dash again until she hits the ground.

B-down: Lift. She draws a crystal containing her friend, Theo, from the ground. And can throw it at foes to damage them. Others can pick the crystal up too, so watch out (think Peach's B-down). Only one Theo on the stage at a given time, though.

B-Up: Updraft. She pulls out a jellyfish-parachute, rises up quickly (damaging anyone she hits), then drifts down gently, moving horizontally as she wishes.

Final Smash: Reflection. Part-of-her (AKA "Badeline") arrives, and chases down one target, damaging them with every contact.

Anyway, I'd really be glad to see Madeline in the game. And she'd be making history in her own right, by crossing a new boundary in representation. That's right, she'd be the very first Canadian character in Smash!

• 4 weeks later...

At this point, Dr. Wily & Robot Masters would probably catch a lot of people off-guard, as evidently not many have thought of Wily leading a team Pokemon Trainer-style. But I think that'd be an ingenious way to not only include Wily by technicality but also to include some playable Robot Masters who, let's face it, are the true stars of the Classic Mega Man games. I mean, sure, Wily could be directly playable in his capsule or maybe a machine, but then you have three options for his moveset:

1. Try to pull as much from the games as possible, which mostly amounts to a bunch of energy projectiles.
  2. Borrow some weapons from other bosses, such as the Robot Masters or Fortress bosses.
  3. Implement a lot of original moves, which kinda defeats the purpose when you have existing material to draw from.

Way I see it, players would be more excited by the chance to play, say, Guts Man or Pharaoh Man than Wily himself. But Wily can still be included by way of the Final Smash using one of his Wily Machines to attack. And they could always add a Wily Machine boss fight to Smash to give the doc more presence.

Captain N: The Game Master. He fights with an NES Zapper and an NES "power pad" controller strapped to his belt. Being able to hit pause wouldn't work in a fighting game, certainly not one with more than 2 maximum players. But super jumps are A-okay. He's also a member of his high school varsity swim team, meaning he's pretty athletic. His dog side kick Zeke can also be incorporated into some moves. Maybe even Game Boy as well. 

I'm doing my best with a Captain N Mii fighter, teaming up with other cast members such as Mega Man, Simon Belmont, and Kid Icarus (Pit), but I'd really like him to be official. Or at least an official mii gunner costume. 

Brian from Quest 64, a game few people have played and fewer remember. Despite how short and shallow it was, Brian's selection of spells would make for an interesting moveset.

Speaking of short and shallow (yet nevertheless fun) RPGs, Benjamin from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. His moveset would include the sword, axe, claw, and bombs, as well as some White, Black, and Wizard Spells.

Not the most bizarre, but a "totally never gonna happen" pick I'd like is Haken Browning from Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga Endless Frontier. Not sayin' swords = bad, but wouldn't a JRPG protagonist packing an assault rifle, revolver, and explosive playing cards + maybe a downsized robot summon be a refreshing change of pace?

He'd be an SRW representative (and a Namco representative since Banpresto the SRW company is owned by Namco) as well, one that wouldn't be plagued with anime licensing issues or being three units in one (a Gundam, a Getter, and a Mazinger from what I read). Haken is from a spinoff which works against him, I'd think Masaki Andoh the original Banpresto Original hero character from the 1991 2nd Super Robot Wars who has shown up fairly frequently since would be probably the best SRW pick. I think an ancient 1992 game called Hero Senki has him use his Cybuster as a downsized suit of power armor, which addresses the problem of the actual Cybuster making Ridley look like a termite. But, Haken is more readily adaptable to Smash I think, and he can summon a downsized Gespenst to fight with him, and the Gespenst is but a year younger than Masaki & Cybuster, it is as much classic SRW. Haken's issues could be a lack of aerial techniques from his games of origin, and if Smash still has a problem with realistic non-explosive guns -not sure if Bayonetta did away with that issue.

Besides being very obscure, Haken is only the main protagonist in one game, and the three games in total that he has been in has Reiji and Xiaomu too, both of whom have a stronger claim to representing the -three, in a way, five- game series which Endless Frontier hazily fits into. Reiji and Xiaomu are as used to dimensional crossing as breathing air, so they'd know how to have a fun time in Smash, wherein they could shoot the breeze with Lucina and Chrom again. Xiaomu has the fun personality, but her without Reiji would be a little odd, so they'd have to borrow from their Project X Zone appearances and fight as a single unit. Reiji's katana, wakizashi, shotgun, and magnum arsenal, combined with Xiaomu's sword-staff, two handguns, magic and a couple of bombs would offer a fair deal of variety. However, all of that on two characters functioning as one unit would be technically demanding and possibly too elaborate to be worth including.

And yet, Reiji and Xiaomu then run into their own superior crossover friend issue- KOS-MOS. Kossy has shown up in every game those two have, plus Xenoblade Chronicles 2, plus having her own independent failed series of games in the form of Xenosaga. (And, Xenoblade has borrowed from her general design even without her. And, she was a costume without a unique moveset in Soulcalibur III.) KOS-MOS might be lacking for emotion, but I've seen enough of her fighting style in a non-XS context to know she could be fun. Her issue being that she competes for that second Monolith character slot that has two other contenders, and she unlike them competes for that second Namco representative slot, which is even more contested. She does not kill two birds with one stone, she hogs two seats (by asking T-ELOS to be her Echo) at once.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Had this idea this morning: N. Brio from Crash Bandicoot. He'd be able to throw vials that explode or create blobs and mix a serum he can drink to transform into Monster Brio for a short time. He might be able to fly using a jetpack since they were featured in Crash 2 and Brio himself used one in Crash Bash. His Final Smash would of course be the laser from Crash 2's true ending. Brio catches his foes in a teleporter that sends them to the Cortex Vortex space station, then fires the laser at the station, destroying it. Basically K. Rool's Blast-o-Matic but with a different cinematic.

I really want Brio in Smash now, along with Crash, Cortex, Coco, and a good number of other Crash characters.

While I'm on a Crash kick, I got ideas for Pinstripe Potoroo as well. Obviously his N Special is his Tommy Gun. While you hold the button, Potoroo fires his Tommy Gun and can aim the gun in different directions. However, if you let the gun overheat, it'll jam, preventing Pinstripe from using it for a few seconds. For his D Special, Toxic Waste, Pinstripe calls Fat to throw a barrel as happens in the level of the same name. For his S Special, Pinstripe throws a Bowling Bomb that rolls along the ground and explodes when it hits something or when you press R. Pinstrip's U Special, Heavy Machinery, conjures a platform under his feet which lifts him upward for a brief bit before falling. Pinstripe can use Heavy Machinery up to three times before he needs to touch the ground again.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, Dragoncat said:

I want Spyro in, but for a bizarre pick, I'll say Ripto. His final smash summons the robot Gulp. He fights with fire blasts from his scepter. He's small and light.

You know, Ripto could work well as a tag-team with Crush and Gulp. Crush would be the most melee-oriented with his big club giving him superior reach and knockback. Gulp could use his big maw to swallow items or to bite down on opponents, slam and bury opponents with his girth, and shoot a rain of lightning orbs from his back-mounted cannons. Ripto's melee attacks would make up for their lower range and power with greater speed and multiple hits, giving him some combo potential. A lot of his attacks would reference his three orb spells: fire wave, plasma gas, and electric orbs.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, Lord_Brand said:

You know, Ripto could work well as a tag-team with Crush and Gulp. Crush would be the most melee-oriented with his big club giving him superior reach and knockback. Gulp could use his big maw to swallow items or to bite down on opponents, slam and bury opponents with his girth, and shoot a rain of lightning orbs from his back-mounted cannons. Ripto's melee attacks would make up for their lower range and power with greater speed and multiple hits, giving him some combo potential. A lot of his attacks would reference his three orb spells: fire wave, plasma gas, and electric orbs.

So like Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer kinda?

Moreso Pokemon Trainer. I could picture Ripto using Crush and Gulp as mounts, making them function more like Duck Hunt or Banjo & Kazooie, but then it also would feel appropriate for him to command them from the background a la Spyro 2's boss fights.