What games disappointed you when you finally got and played them?

null

7 hours ago, Slyfox said:

Still, it's my favorite Fire Emblem, if only for the characters and story.

Of course, that's fair; it simply misses the mark on what I was looking for, and my expectations were unreasonably high. It has strong characters and a strong plot, the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by Benice

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one I thought of was Dark Souls 2, I won't whine about it too much though since I haven't beaten it. Imo it really just pales in comparison to 1 and 3 (I played those before 2). It also feels like it isn't even connected to the two games. Dark Souls 3 feels like a sequel to 1, but not 2. I'm almost convinced when they were in the beginnings of the game they weren't intending for DS2 to even be a sequel. Which doesn't seem too farfetched considering Demon's Souls exists before Dark Souls and has no connection other than Dark Souls being a spiritual successor. But yeah, story stuff has little to do with it. The game just feels far more choppy and unorganized. I do want to finish the game eventually though, maybe I'll like it more then. I've like every other game with their normal style from FromSoftware and I've played them all except Demon's Souls. I have heard from most fans though that Dark Souls 2 is their least favorite of all the games.

Disappointment might not be the best way to describe the experience of playing Fire Emblem Awakening. I'd describe it more as horror or disgust.
Still, it's the only purchase I ever made that I not only regret but actually felt guilty for. To think that my money filled the pockets of the guys responsible for it is a thought that makes me sick to my stomach.

With that out of the way, let's go to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Oblivion promised to marry the freedom of Morrowind with the atmosphere of Gothic. It... did not.
Any sense of freedom got utterly gutted. And there is no adventure to be had, when you find the same levelscaled junk no matter where you go. It's a game utterly devoid of fun. But hey, at least I still had Gothic III to look forward to. Speaking off...

Gothic III
As fun as it's atmosphere and gameplay always was, those games were never something you could describe as "polished". Still, it's perks always outshined it's many flaws. Until Gothic III. Gothic III was utterly broken. As in: So broken that lens-flares are visible while underground. Every monster/animal type enemy could stunlock you until you were dead. Meanwhile human-type enemies were the complete opposites. They could never do anything to do as long as you just kept mashing the attack button.

Mega Man X5
With how dreaded X6 is, I always figured X5 was at least decent. It's not. Stages are dull and mainly consist of recycled gimmicks of X4. Bosses are easy as hell. And the upgrade system is just utterly baffling. I'm actually rather amazed that X6 did such a good job to salvage a ton of X5's nonsense.

Mega Man ZX
A game that plays as if it was the first Metroidstyle game ever... yet it's a DS game. The game's map is worse then useless. It along with the game's awful mission system causes you to spend much more time running around rather then tackling the actual levels. And maybe it's just because the gameplay to bullshit ratio is so bad, but the levels themselves seem pretty lame. Fortunately ZX Advent completely salvaged this trainwreck.

Dragon Ball FighterZ
When first playing this game, it must have taken me at least 20 minutes just to get into training mode, with all this account creation nonsense and the game's constant attempts to connect online without prompting. And instead of having a proper menu, it has this impractical overworld thing, as if it was an mmo rather then a classic style fighting game. The game's story mode is one of the worst out there, and the game's progression system consists of loot boxes. So rather then progression feeling satisfying, it's just pure frustration as the game only gives you useless junk in exchange for your hard earned currency.
The game's visuals may look impressive in screenshots, but look like shit in motion. It's like the animations are done at a really low framerate. Doesn't exactly help that the gameplay consists mostly of cinematic moves. So you constantly switch between silky smooth gameplay and really crudely animated cinematics. ...which for the record, would be a bad thing even if the animations actually looked nice. I don't get why so many fighting games these days try to minimize the amount of actual gameplay as much as possible.
I get that in large part this is just mimicking the animation style of classic 2D fighters but... the game uses 3D models. Something it constantly highlights by spinning the camera at every opportunity. It's not pleasant to look at.
Also, it took them more then a year to make the AI capable of punishing Super Dash + Auto Combo. And the netcode of the game is shit, so it's not like multiplayer is the saving grace here.
I give them credit for fixing some of the game's many issues since then, but the fact that they also filled most of the character select with literal shopping carts to strong arm players into buying the DLC, goes a long way towards destroying my good will here.

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon
Just pointless cutscenes every 5 steps, Rotom commenting on everything, usually recapping the cutscenes I just watched and telling me how I am supposed to feel about them... 
And yeah, that's the game. It keeps this up until the credits. It's agony.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
To think people were so desperate for this game to be released internationally. The characters are jerks and the story is a mess that never goes anywhere. Dungeons are also really tedious and sidequests seem deliberately designed to piss players off. Including the literal "spread dog piss all over the world" quest, which becomes available way before it can actually be completed.

Edited by BrightBow

Of the ones that I actually played well past the halfway point:

• Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and see here for the reasons I disliked this game.
  • Final Fantasy XIII for having a gameplay that ended up being dull, and a plot that seemed unnecessarily convoluted and lacked good worldbuilding.
  • Fire Emblem Awakening for its dull plot, non-existing worldbuilding, and equally dull gameplay.
  • Fire Emblem Fates Conquest for its plot that is just a disaster of Hiroshima and Nagasaki levels, as people mentioned throughout various posts in the past.
  • Pokemon BW - for Dick-tendo being an ass and pulling the Wi-Fi service with little warning.
Edited by henrymidfields

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

Final Fantasy XIII for having a gameplay that ended up being dull, and a plot that seemed unnecessarily convoluted and lacked good worldbuilding.

But its battle system is considered one of the best in the series. 

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Of the ones that I actually played well past the halfway point:

Wow; that one's my personal favourite Zelda game, though I am more than willing to admit it is rather flawed: the flute easily being my least favourite part of the game.

That said, I thought it was pretty clear from the intro of the game (and the fact that Nico is the one narrating it) that Link, Zelda, and her pirates found a new land to settle and named it New Hyrule. 

For me, it's easily Link & Spirit Zelda that carry the game: their dynamic is fantastic, Spirit Zelds is probably the most useful companion Link has ever had, and the twist on the classic formula in that the villain's just needed Zelda's body and Zelda herself is never actually damselled was a neat variation. 

12 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

But its battle system is considered one of the best in the series. 

Actually, that one's true. I was surprised at how smoothly the battles generally went, and how well the CPU controlled allies worked well. It's more the lack of side quests, the lack of opportunity to earn money and the resulting lack of opportunity to buy stuff that did my head in. And this went on for a fair several chapters too.

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

Actually, that one's true. I was surprised at how smoothly the battles generally went, and how well the CPU controlled allies worked well. It's more the lack of side quests, the lack of opportunity to earn money and the resulting lack of opportunity to buy stuff that did my head in. And this went on for a fair several chapters too.

Yeah, the battle system is stellar. Easily the games best selling point. 

Yes the game is linear, but I personally dont mind it at all.

Buying stuff is an issue that persists past endgame as well, sadly. Buying transformation catalysts costs way too much, undoubtedly.

If you thought that XIII was lackluster, I cant imagine how you would feel about the two after it. (If you played them?)

On 10/9/2020 at 1:48 PM, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, the battle system is stellar. Easily the games best selling point. 

Yes the game is linear, but I personally dont mind it at all.

Buying stuff is an issue that persists past endgame as well, sadly. Buying transformation catalysts costs way too much, undoubtedly.

If you thought that XIII was lackluster, I cant imagine how you would feel about the two after it. (If you played them?)

Don't have, though I thought XIV (the new, overhauled one) is a lot better in content and story? I do hear that some people think the story of XV is not really worth the money...

Edited by henrymidfields

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Don't have, though I thought XIV (the new, overhauled one) is a lot better in content and story? I do hear that some people think the story of XV is not really worth the money...

Oh, I meant XIII-2 and LR, which are both not nearly as good as the first one.

Not XIV and XV.

15 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh, I meant XIII-2 and LR, which are both not nearly as good as the first one.

Not XIV and XV.

Ooooh, right! No, I'm not even interested in playing them...

On 10/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, BrightBow said:

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon
Just pointless cutscenes every 5 steps, Rotom commenting on everything, usually recapping the cutscenes I just watched and telling me how I am supposed to feel about them... 
And yeah, that's the game. It keeps this up until the credits. It's agony.

I can totally empathize with this sentiment. Like what was the point of them telling me how I should feel. I never understood that. 

I notice this is in various games where we get a silent protagonist (that is supposed to simulate self inserting). Some games pull it off well and could refine it just a little but others need to reevaluate if they should even do it in the first place. Like Dragon Age 2 with it's evolving system did a good job on paper. I mean the more you select certain responses, the more that character's personality solidifies so you could get a Hawke who actually had the tone and sounded aggressive and violent plus get the options in dialogue to make threats or somehow end up with a witty, clever, and sarcastic Hawke who makes jokes all the time. Take that system and tweak it a little and I'd have to say it could guide us down a path in gaming where we get actual good self insert avatars. Of course it'd need some balancing since we wouldn't want a game where you can be rewarded/punished for having a certain personality.  Like Fable...as much as I liked doing the occasional play thru being a douche and bad guy, I didnt like my guy growing horns and having flies move near my head. Plus the screaming villagers is funny but it quickly turns into a disadvantage. (I also didn't like the random applause and praise when I was a good guy since they stand in my way. I could be at a shop and all of sudden I got a crowd clapping)

Games i was overall displeased with. 

Super Mario Sunshine: all im gonna say is --damn you blue coins. Damn you to hell

Tales of Zesteria: i hate all the mechanics they experimented with. Like we have a proficiency bar or star rating for our monster encyclopedia, for all our equipment, our titles, our attacks, and we have to synthesize, plus fill up other journals such as miss-able scenes from points of interest, item collections. It just goes on and on. I wasn't even worried about gameplay or story because I was being weighed down by all the stuff they throw at you. I dunno why but it felt like a really bloated game with sloppy design. And the character's weren't that super appealing. Just so-and-so

Pokken: it was a waste of my money. I regret buying it. It wasn't even that good of a fighting game and the constant switching from field phase to duel phase was nauseating.  Like they couldn't decide if they wanted a side scrolling fighter game or a more open battle field with different gimmicks.

I could name more but I don't wanna make my post any longer