What do you do to relax or calm yourself?

twilit

We all have stresses, anxieties, and other things that weigh us down in some way at some point in time. And we all have just as many ways of dealing with these things when they do come up. So how do you help yourself calm down or relax after feeling stressed or anxious?

Music is the biggest help for me when I'm feeling anxious or depressed, especially video game music. There's just something very soothing about the right song played at the right time.

Seconded on music - it's really incredible how listening to certain types of music can change your mood.

Going outside (e.g. for a walk) is another good way to get some fresh air and clear your thoughts. I personally like doing exercise, but that's not for everyone. Even something like looking at pictures of natural landscapes can help.

It can be different, but it can come in different ways, depending on the situation. One of my favourite things to do is going to a place where I am most quiet- even for me, it doesn't happen as often during the day, but if I can find it, I'd priotize it. Staying away from constant compulsive behaviours, like navigating the Internet mindlessly and doing something mildly productive (i.e dishes) helps surprisingly well.

And then there's personal stuff, like holding on to something (or someone) you really care about. It can be anything. It can help.

40 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Well...good for you then, I guess. But most people aren't lucky enough to be able to say that.

I know. I am rather fortunate. Well at least for now. Chances are something terrible is going to happen in the future and I'll be completely unfit to deal with it on an emotional level.

I put on my headphones with my favorite music and read a book in my room.  My room is my safe space since it is the only place that is truly mine.  Petting my dogs and my cat also help a lot as well.  

22 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I recently got into painting miniatures, it helps me calm down and relax at night

The Emperor protects!

—————————

I usually go for a walk or read to relax.

• 2 weeks later...