Ten Essential Units

jameslove001

Getting back into the game I have relied on YouTube heroes, particularly PhonenixMaster1. One of the particular styles of video I have liked is "If you only invest in (this many) characters, these are who you should invest in." So, it makes me wonder - for you who are the (approximately) ten most useful characters (your opinion) that gives you the most balanced stable for every mode? The caveat of course is ten characters to cover every mode, not an outstanding arena team that won't help you in Aether Raids or Grand Hero Battles at all. 

Before I give mine, I am a F2P who has quit the game and erased it several times, and am relying on memory of people I don't have, while also thinking of my current roster. I also understand that as a more defensive style player, my list may be a bit different, and maybe even slightly controversial (particularly one unit no one seems to like, but I love):

Veronica, Green Micaiah, Fjorm, VG Ike, Sothis, Colorless Tiki, Surtr, Dorothea, OG Julia.

I know that Flying Micaiah is not really loved, but the way she can single shot so many armors, horsies and even dragons, which you run across a lot, has been helpful. Similarly, Fjorm is a great tank for me, especially with the debuff help from Veronica. Also thanks to whoever it was that told me to use Sothis, because you let her float in space and she is a straight up savage.

There's a bit of a difference between essential units and units you should invest the most in. Legendary Azura is one of the most essential units out there imo but she requires almost no investment to serve her function.

Well, from an f2p perspective (which I'm defining as being willing to save orbs for skill inheritance, but not using 5 star exclusive merges).

These are ones to merge to +10. Not ones that are just useful as dancers or other utility at their free copy. The Askr trio, Fjorm, Eir, etc. are all important for obvious reasons.

1) Reinhardt

2) Offensive lance flier (Cordelia, Catria, or Est)

3) Spurn/Repel/Close Call tank (best f2p options being Lon'qu or Raven)

4) Black Knight

5) Nowi (much as I hate to say it). She's simply the best f2p breath unit.

6) Ares - best enemy phase cavalry in the game. Excellent at sweeping all but the highest PvE content.

7) Aversa (one of the best grail units, powerful debuffer, scores very well with her optimal R Duel Fliers).

8 ) Flame Emperor (highest scoring f2p unit, great bulk and stats)

9) Laslow - Enemy phase super sweeper

10) Eliwood - Best player phase f2p cavalry, aside from maybe Reinhardt. Hint, pair Eliwood and Reinhardt together for your top row offense unit in Mjolnir's Strike.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Legendary Leif and Legendary Azura. Everything else is just gravy. 😉

Oh fine, I'll fill out eight more. I'll go with all F2P-friendly ones, and none who need premium fodder, unless you count 20k feathers for Galeforce as premium.

- The Reinhardt. Self-explanatory.

- Nino or Tharja for good ol' Blade tome brute-force nuking. Tailtiu is a blue alternative but it's not available if you use her Prf, and therefore weaker than the other two. If you're going to use a regular Blade+ tome then you may as well choose a cavalry mage of some sort like Valentine's Titania, L'Arachel or Cecilia (pending information about her refine this week).

- Galeforce shenanigans: Eliwood with refined Blazing Durandal.

- More Galeforce: A cavalier with a Slaying effect weapon (e.g. Oscar, Peri, or anyone with Slaying Lance+) and the Heavy Blade seal. Technically you can go with Slaying Axe+ but suitable units for this build are few and far between. Groom Marth might be the only really accessible one. There's also Perceval and Sirius as premium options.

- Even more Galeforce: An infantry with the Slaying effect and the Flashing Blade seal. Raven is a great choice to complete the Galeforce weapon triangle with the above two. I find he's far beyond the next best (accessible) option, as plentiful as they are.

- Brave weapon Assassin 1: Cordelia

- Brave weapon Assassin 2: Cherche

- Brave weapon Assassin 3: Gordin/Klein

(Honorable mentions for Braves: Cain, Abel, Laslow, who all unfortunately need their refines to be effective. Elincia if you can get her.)

Yeah, these are all player phase units. I'm not against enemy phase units but they're just so much more expensive to build, and less reliable in general these days against heavy investment. To list a couple of Enemy phase options with some premium fodder: If you have DC, Ares. If you have Steady/Warding Breath fodder, then some sort of 3-4* pool Aether Dragon tank, like Bantu, Nowi or Fae.

P.S. Agreed with Aversa for utility. And I find a single copy of Legendary Marth is nice for just deleting pesky dragons.

Edited by Humanoid

1 hour ago, jameslove001 said:

I get that, and maybe it is clumsy wording on my part. But I take it she would be in your ten most essential units?

Most definitely. I guess I'll throw out 10

Legendary Azura - With her you basically need no other field buffs. Best dancer in the game by far unless you're building some specialized team (which I do with Peony and Fliers for massive combat boosts).

Reinhardt - His utility is still amazingly high, though his biggest boon probably comes from him being in the common summoning pool making him extremely easy to +20.

Red Tome Celica - After Reinhardt she's one of the most reliable fix all hammers out there. I've cleared so many Abyssal maps by simply throwing her at them with three dancers backing her up.

B!Ike - One of the best walls out there since his refine. Give him distant counter and special spiral and he'll be throwing out Aethers every time he attacks too.

Surtr - Though I think his utility has been power crept by the likes of Rudolf and now Mila, he's still one of the best tanks in the game, especially with the massive +20 passive damage he deals. He's also by far the best unit for Heroic Ordeals as the passive damage won't kill enemies but can leave them with 1hp quickly letting your heroic ordeal character you haven't even 5*ed get the kill. I've pulled like five Surtr's but I've never actually merged him, since the original I got was -spd +def and I'd rather fodder him for Armoured Stance and he still holds up even without merges.

That newest Shiida variation - She deals effective damage against basically everything and has built in vantage. You back her up with a team of units with Goad Fliers (my aforementioned use of Peony, and also Camilla and the new Palla) and she's basically untouchable.

Kronya - Just an absolute baller of a unit to play. Very effective and very fun. Also fun to built teams with. If you have Heroic Grails lying around you've got to throw them on her.

Grima - Still one of the best EP damage dealers out there thanks to his innate distant counter freeing up his A slot (Bracing Stance 3!), plus dragons. Not quite as good as he used to be, but still tonnes of fun to use.

That's only 8. There's plenty of more units I like using, Tibarn and Duma to mention a few. Fallen Tiki is also pretty great even though I don't find myself using her that much and Mila is turning out far better than I expected, but those 8 are the only ones I really consider essential units.

21 minutes ago, Florete said:

Not sure where you heard this. Micaiah was the popular pick for the CYL3 freebie.

I asked some questions when I first started back and it came from people saying that her skill set was pretty novel and that she is not often used in any of the Grand Hero Battle videos. The point was, not a lot of people have loved the unit since she came out. I personally use the heck out of her and she will easily be my first unit to max out her merit.

I'd say my most important units right now are Black Knight, Gwendolyn, Sheena, Winter Jaffar, Aversa, L'Arachel, Dancer Micaiah, Fallen Lyon, Peony, and Mila. The first four can feasibly be merged for a high-scoring arena team, although they do take a fair amount of resources to really be good. The last three are all really valuable for Aether Raids, they aren't enough to cover both seasons but they at least mean being well prepared for Light. Aversa and L'Arachel are also feasible to merge, I've found them really valuable in AR as well as being powerful nukes elsewhere with a blade tome. Micaiah is just really sweet as a dancer who can also explode things. 

3 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

I asked some questions when I first started back and it came from people saying that her skill set was pretty novel and that she is not often used in any of the Grand Hero Battle videos. The point was, not a lot of people have loved the unit since she came out. I personally use the heck out of her and she will easily be my first unit to max out her merit.

She's not used in many GHB videos because unlike Ike, Fjorm, Eir, etc. not everyone will get her since you can still choose one of the other three. When it comes to Abyssal maps and the like, though, Brave Micaiah does see use in video guides, while the other options largely do not.

And her skill set being so novel is a lot of why, tbh. Alm and Eliwood are great for what they are but ultimately still just typical combat units while Camilla is just worse than Veronica in most scenarios.

Anyway, I really just mean to say that Brave Micaiah is definitely a good unit to have who fills a pretty rare niche.

I do not think I can just name ten. One unit might be really good in one mode, but it is not necessarily good in another mode. Aether Raids and Arena have very different goals from each other. VS!Azura is generally the best Dancer/Singer, but she is rather lackluster in Røkkr Sieges compared to Reyson and Leanne. And oftentimes it is not a specific unit that is the best of the best, but more of a type of unit or team composition that is really good.

Aether Raids:

Spoiler

OFFENSE:

Support Units:
M!Corrin
BH!Lucina
Eir
Peony
Mila

Any Galeforcers with Heavy Blade or similar effects on their Weapon:
Caeda
Eliwood
Navarre
etc.

Super Tank Team:
BH!Ike, BH!Lucina, Offensive Mythic Spd, Offensive Mythic Spd, Offensive Mythic Spd/Random

— — — — — — —

DEFENSE:

Dark Mythic: Yune (general purpose), Bramimond (Infantry Pulse team)

Anima Mythic: Mirabilis (general purpose)

Stall team:
BH!Ike, Spurn Tank, Defensive Mythic Spd, Defensive Mythic Spd, Defensive Mythic Spd, Defensive Mythic Spd

Infantry Pulse team
Some combination of the following with various proportion: Blazing nuke, Firesweep staff, SK!Alm/QOV!Celica, Dancer/Singer

Cav Line team

Arena/Arena Assault Team 1/Allegiance Battles/Mjölnir's Strike

Spoiler

Any Legendary Hero that scores high.

Mjölnir's Strike

Spoiler

Any Mythic Hero that scores high.

Any high performance combat units.

Galeforcers

Røkkr Sieges

Spoiler

Brave Weapon Galeforcers with high Atk/Spd

Budget Galeforcers:
Palla, Catria, Est, Cain, Abel, Luke

Dancer/Singer-Healer
Reyson, Leanne

Grand Conquest/Rival Domains:

Spoiler

Use your Friend List.

High performance combat units.

Brave Lyn, Brave Ike, and Brave Veronica are all essential, in my opinion. Lyn has been given out for free more than once and is currently available in the starter support pack. Ike is available for free through the Hero Path quests. Veronica is rarer, but once you have her, she's great at what she does.

Legendary Azura and Legendary Leif are the two most essential Legendary units. They're both just SUPER good.

Reinhardt, Eliwood, an offensive flier (Caeda, Cordelia, Catria, Est, Cherche, etc.), and Nino are the most valuable units readily available to summon.

For free grail units, Black Knight, Aversa, Kronya, and Flame Emperor are good picks.

That's a little more than ten units, but it works.

Brave Ike, Brave Lucina, Eliwood( or B!Roy), Legendary Leif, Brave Veronica, Peony, LAzura, B!Fjorm, Mila, Altina

The first five of these in particular can clear virtually any PvE content. Somewhat related, it's honestly kinda sad that all the CYL3 units were pretty much outclassed upon release (or very shortly after) when you consider how strong Veronica is and how centralizing Brave Lyn used to be. I hope they don't wait until next year August to give them refines.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

I think it would be hard to narrow it down to just 10 units as essential in a game where you can make any unit fulfill a specifc role (support, nuke, tank etc.) especially with skill inheritance as a thing.

I guess for myself the top 10 essential units I use in most gamemodes are NY!Anna with a Spendthrift Bow build for enemy phase tanking (though Norne would probably be better and more FTP friendly), Apotheosis Anna as a speed tank, FH!Tiki as a mixed defense tank, FH!Delthea to nuke things, Eliwood, Cordelia and Raven as my Galeforce units, L!Azura as my refresher and finally Reinhardt and Cherche can hit hard on player phase with their brave prf weapons. Extra mentions to Catria (Flier team Galeforcer), Nagi (Colorless counter), Klein (another brave prf user) Celica (red nuke) and Elise (Wrathful Dazzle Pain Healer)

Some of these are going to be the usual suspects, but if I had to pick 10:

1. Legendary Azura: I hate her with a burning passion, but that's because of how incredibly effective she is even when controlled by the AI.
  2. Brave Veronica: Ditto.
  3. Legendary Leif: This guy carries me through Aether Raids thanks to his accelerated Galeforce. Not to mention being a Brave cavalry archer.
  4. Altina: Built-in Distant Counter, automatic Brave attacks, flight, excellent defenses. Being an Astra Mythic also helps.
  5. Reinhardt: He's free from Heroes' Path and has merges easily available.
  6. Nino: Easily available and still a fantastic Desperation mage.
  7. Fallen Julia: Doubles any unit that isn't effective against dragons, has monstrous attack, and neutralizes enemy bonuses and adaptive damage. A great beatstick.
  8. Bridal Micaiah: She flies and gets effectiveness against armor and cavalry on top of being a Duo unit. Another great beatstick.
  9. Brave Lucina: A fantastic support unit who can also kill dragons in a pinch.
  10. Brave Ike: A fantastic tank if given the right skills, although that might be tricky.

Solid color balance, a healer, a dancer, a Mythic, two Legendaries (albeit both Water), and a mix of physical and magical damage. The only one who needs any serious skill inheritance is Ike; everyone else needs minor improvements at most. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to use Bridal or Brave Micaiah. The latter is free, but the former is stronger IMO. Either one works though.

My personal 10 (just because I don’t have some standout units like L! Azura or Brave Veronica) would be

1. Brave Lyn and 2. Reinhardt

Some of the first two units I had that I still use today. Brave Lyn is great as is and doesn’t require too much investment to be good with her default Mulagir, but if you can, Brave Bow+ or Firesweep Bow+ (my personal favorite) makes her very fun to use. Reinhardt is... Reinhardt. Easily mergeable and free brave tome cavalry unit? What else would you want?

3. Brave Ike and 4. Brave Lucina

I got these two on a revival banner (even before I got the free Brave Ike) and from then on, they’ve been inseparable at the hip. Brave Ike is a good supertank with his refined prf (but requires DC to be much better) and Brave Lucina is an amazing support unit as is, as long as you refine her prf weapon. 

5. Peony

Fjorm and Eir are great, but Peony blows them away in terms of sheer utility - both dancing and buffing power. She needs literally zero investment to be good (but Swift Sparrow 2 from grails makes her a good attacker too). Get her as soon as you can and never let her go. 

6. Legendary Chrom, 7. Legendary Roy, and 8. Legendary Eliwood

All three of these heroes are crazy rare on account of being legendary heroes, but they’re all really good. Legendary Chrom is a fantastic enemy phase bow unit with Vantage (get it from Reinhardt), a fantastic player phase unit with Brave Bow+, and a pretty good mixed phase attacker as is. Legendary Roy is a great (self)-buffer and a really good speed tank with Close Call/Repel/Spurn. He also has built in DC and dragon effectiveness, which really comes in handy. Legendary Eliwood is amazing if you use him with a dragon/beast unit. Just deploy him and he’ll buff just by existing.

9. Winter Sothis and 10. Duo Alfonse

Same deal with these two being seasonal units, but they’re both really good tanks and indispensable. Winter Sothis is fast and has pretty balanced Def/Res, and her skills and unique weapon (which neutralizes dragon effectiveness) make her perfect right out of the box. Duo Alfonse is super slow but has standout def, decent res, and a very good unique weapon that allows him to use his base CC/Special Spiral perfectly. Neither unit requires any investment besides positional skills.

Special runner-up status to Altina (perfect brave vantage unit and came for free a fee months ago) and Lysithea (literally a nuke, just point her at the enemy).