Special Heroes 8/7: Pirate's Pride

SockPuppet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brigid has some nice skills. Tibarn's new B skill has a bit more conditions than I like. Geese looks nice, despite being the demote. Still amused that Darros got included as the TT+ unit. I might try for Geese just because, and maybe Brigid, but I don't wanna spend too many orbs here.

this banner really is a "Wait after CYL/Legendary" kind of banner. 

The flier skill - way too many conditions (i get why but when you have guard bearing that also has dumb conditions on it. it just irritates me)

These are Solo Lull Weapons which are decent i guess. (Maybe Echinda could use this? I dunno). 

Veronica  basically can do this

20200804_202628.jpg?width=947&height=530

but i can wait until after Legendary.  Start of it All revival is in two months and i want many merges on Caeda and I want a Merric etc. 

Not a fan of PP!Brigid as a unit due to being colored and no access to Blade tomes. I will wait until they put Helm Bow into the calculator before deciding for certain, but I am skeptical that it is as powerful as Brave Bow. Steady Impact is super niche in my opinion, since Galeforcers can just use Darting Blow for even more Spd; the defensive portion of Impacts are simply unnecessary in most cases, if not downright counter productive, since you want low bulk to use Wings of Mercy. Steady Impact is better in the AI's hands than in the player's hands in my opinion. Pulse Smoke is really nice though.

Sky-Pirate Claw is nice. PP!Tibarn can also be a raw damage nuke with Moonbow and Death Blow 7. Dive-Bomb sounds badass, but I like Desperation better due to synergy with Wings of Mercy. I hope it is not class restricted, but based on the name, it might be.

Flowing Lance just screams "put me on dual phase armors" to me. Infantry Pulse is also nice.

Gate-Anchor Axe is cool. PP!Veronica is definitely someone I want. Having a strong green cavalry Galeforcer is nice. Wish they would tune the Weapon to be more suitable for Galeforce.

I think I would try to get everyone, but I really want some merges on PP!Tibarn and PP!Veronica. I think I will try to get two base copies of PP!Veronica. Having two SP!Mias helped me a lot with Resonant Battles.

Hrm... I don't wanna say "easy pass," cause I do like the pirate aesthetic, but... well, there really isn't anything here that I really NEED, ya kno-

Wait. Dive Bomb... unit can initiate follow-up attacks immediately if both units are healthy? Oooooh mama, that's actually really tempting to pull for Cordelia...

Hooray! Another demote with draw back/reposition! Too bad I probably won't be spending orbs for Geese, really need to save up for the end of the month.

Hmm...overall this banner seems skippable for those that are saving for CYL4 although that's unoptimal as hell nowadays or want to take advantage of the 2x1 Hero Fest. 

Anyways, onto the units themselves (we already know their stats so no need to guess on that part): 

Brigid damn you IS, I wanted her with Yewfelle is more fodder than unit despite her high Atk/Spd. Igrene outright outclasses her as a red infantry archer and her stat spread doesn't let her go for an alternative route like Midori. The new theme for the inheritable weapons is "Solo Lull" it seems, that's going to be disgusting for cavalry. Pulse Smoke is awesome as it as always been. 

Tibarn is super min-maxed. His weapon synergizes perfectly with HB4 and his B-skill may as well have no conditions (unless you step on a bolt trap in AR or try to make him tank something for whatever reason). Being colorless and having the slaying effect makes this Tibarn superior to his original form, so yeah. If you like Tibarn this is an upgrade. Also that B-skill is really strong for any GF flier, quad fliers can also benefit from this but it is pretty rare to see them need all 4 hits to kill their target so...

Geese has good stats for a 4* unit so he'd make for a good merge project considering how rare infantry lances are. Fodder-wise he only has his Solo Lull lance and Infantry Pulse. Niche, but effective when used on the proper team. 

Harmonic Veronica&Xander....well, they're bulky and hit hard, that's for sure. The Harmonic skill grants Follow up protection which is a huge boon for tanks...until NFU gets into the equation. Being min-maxed with no Spd for a cavalry unit isn't that great nowadays when NFU is getting more and more common, and being green makes you easy pickings for the myriad of Repel/Close Call/Spurn red swords that are running about. At least they seem decent enough to fullfill their role in Resonant Battles with all that Atk and Def allowing them to plow through the guards during the EP while chasing the thieves, that's a lot more useful that what Harmonic Mia does so that's a plus for them. 

Just as well that I never pulled OG Tibarn? Dunno, I'd take either really. But not on this banner, in which I'll open the green and greys in the first round then bail probably. Maybe include red if there's one of them.

Thinking of the future double seasonal re-runs, Summer Byleth will have a red infantry bow either side of her, which is a little suboptimal. Tibarn alongside Dorothea, if it happens, will be good, but so would Harmonic Mia with Dorothea, so that's win-win. Hoping Xander-Veronica doesn't have to split with Sylvain and instead with whoever comes next. Ingrid shares with a 4* demote either way so blue is dead to me regardless of whether it's Lute or Geese.

Edited by Humanoid

52 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Wait. Dive Bomb... unit can initiate follow-up attacks immediately if both units are healthy? Oooooh mama, that's actually really tempting to pull for Cordelia...

I completely forgot about Cordelia. Her Weapon is actually pretty viable now. Hm... It is really tempting to fodder PP!Tibarn.

Wait a minute... If "foe cannot make a follow-up attack," then what's Steady Impact's +10 Def for (outside of Bonfire and Ignis?)

Tibarn looks like he'll be atk-heavy (no surprise.) He has a nice weapon for a Laguz unit (they don't like standing next to Beorc anyway since transforming gives them power-ups.) He'd do well on non-Laguz teams, looks like. I'd replace his B skill, though. May as well just put Quick Riposte or something on him if you want to guarantee a quick double.

Flowing Lance isn't bad, Infantry Pulse is nice, and I guess Geese looks cool, but I only know what FEH has told me about him, so... Well, makes sense that he's the 4* unit.

As for Veronica and Xander, they seem to largely be atk/def based (no surprise there; Xander seems to always focus on atk/def and have pretty bad res in Heroes), but...why inflict -res on the foe during combat if you're hitting their def? The harmonized skill seems nice, especially for mixed phase teams (especially ones that lean toward EP fighting.) Lets you strike without fear of being countered, and gives you some bulk for EP.

Not sure if I'll pull on this banner, even though I'd like to get Veronica and Xander. I just don't have the orbs for it, and really should save up. I'll free pull green, though.

9 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Wait a minute... If "foe cannot make a follow-up attack," then what's Steady Impact's +10 Def for (outside of Bonfire and Ignis?)

It only prevents the foe from doubling. The foe can still counterattack if they're able to.

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

It only prevents the foe from doubling. The foe can still counterattack if they're able to.

Ah, yeah; I see now. Thanks. 🙂

YAR HAR FIDDLE DE DE-

Alright, I'll stop. But I didn't realise I'd like a seasonal so much until they we actually smart enough to do this.

Anyways, they start off with Brigged (YES! Absolute perfect alt), a red infantry bow with Helm Bow (If unit not next to ally, give enemy -5 Spd/Def and nulls bonuses to those stats), Harsh Command+, Steady Impact (+7 Spd/10 Def on initiation and foe can't follow-up (Not what I expected, but still nice)) and Pulse Smoke 3. Next is Tibarn who's a flying colourless beast with Sky-Pirate Claw (SC -1, if unit not next to ally, get +5 Atk, foe gets -5 Atk and unit doubles for sure, usual flying beast stuff), Galeforce, Heavy Blade 4, Dive-Bomb 3 (If both units have > 79% HP and unit initiates, unit gets Desperation (Kinda disappointing, but not unuseable)) and Atk Smoke 3. Next is Geese, a lance infantry who wields Flowing Lance (Atk/Def -5 on foe and neutralises those bonuses when no ally is next to them), Reposition, Fire Boost 3 and Infantry Pulse 3 (That last skill is neat. I wish this would be in the regular pool honestly, it'd make sense imo). Finally we have Veronica and Xander (Who reminds us he cannot swim (Fitting for pirates actually)),  a cav duo (on a ship.) who have Gate-Anchor Axe (SC-1, if unit is not next to an ally, gets Def/Res -5, gives foe -5 Def/Res and gets to double), Bonfire, Atk/Def Solo 4, Lull Atk/Def 3 and Atk/Def Gap 3 (So lots of offence and defence), with their duo skill granting Def/Res +4 and a status that prevents foes from doubling to allies and is every second turn.

You guys. I am tempted by this banner, I will be honest. Can you blame me? This thing is pirate gold.

Edited by Dayni

Not sure if this is the right topic for this question, but I'm going to ask anyways as it concerns the story of this banner.

Tibarn mentions his hawks are the shipless pirates, but in my memory it was the ravens that were the pirates, and Tibarn had a distaste for piracy.

I reread the shipless pirates chapter in PoR, and while Nasir does say both the hawks and the ravens are known for piracy, all enemies in that chapter are ravens. I recall Tibarn refuting them being pirates in a later chapter, but I don't remember when. Am I misremembering stuff? Does anyone know what chapter Tibarn defends himself on this point?

31 minutes ago, whase said:

Not sure if this is the right topic for this question, but I'm going to ask anyways as it concerns the story of this banner.

Tibarn mentions his hawks are the shipless pirates, but in my memory it was the ravens that were the pirates, and Tibarn had a distaste for piracy.

I reread the shipless pirates chapter in PoR, and while Nasir does say both the hawks and the ravens are known for piracy, all enemies in that chapter are ravens. I recall Tibarn refuting them being pirates in a later chapter, but I don't remember when. Am I misremembering stuff? Does anyone know what chapter Tibarn defends himself on this point?

The hawks defintelly do engage in piracy, but they only ever attack Begnion ships out of revenge for the Serenes Massacre. That's why Tibarn is disdainful about the Ravens actual piracy, because they do it solely for profit.

Edited by Nanima

10 minutes ago, Nanima said:

The hawks defintelly do engage in piracy, but they only ever attack Begnion ships out of revenge for the Serenes Massacre. That's why Tibarn is disdainful about the Ravens actual piracy, because they do it solely for profit.

Ah so there lies my confusion, thanks! Do you happen to know where that is explained?

53 minutes ago, whase said:

Ah so there lies my confusion, thanks! Do you happen to know where that is explained?

It's been a long time since I played, but it must be in one of those early chapters when the birds are introduced.

Tibarn and Veronica both look pretty wild, but seasonals need more than power for me to pull for them these days. It'll be nice if I can get one while pulling for Geese, but I certainly don't expect it.

Brigid is unimpressive. Her skills are interesting but unexciting, and I don't particularly like her art. More importantly, I want regular Brigid with Yewfelle, and this makes it look like that'll take even longer.

Dive Bomb looks like it's going to be fucking annoying to deal with. And there's no doubt Pirate Tibarn is going to be on every other Aether Raids defense map. And as if he weren't annoying enough, he's also colorless.

This game has literally no good checks against melee colorless units (and barely any good checks against ranged colorless units). Nagi isn't going to cut it because it's blatantly obvious everyone's going to be running Pirate Tibarn alongside normal Tibarn. And all of the annoying people are going to have Dive Bomb on their normal Tibarn and Naesala, too, just to be extra annoying.

Or maybe I can just stack a million Ward Fliers buffs on Myrrh and see if she can tank this bullshit with her refine.

So yeah, Pirate Tibarn is bullshit and can go fuck himself.

The only redeeming quality about Duo Veronica is the fact that Duo Idunn gives zero shits about her.

I feel like they're really pushing Evasion skills hard. Except Ophelia and Lysithea still shit all over them.

Aether Raids can also go fuck itself.

Edited by Ice Dragon

29 minutes ago, Othin said:

Tibarn and Veronica both look pretty wild, but seasonals need more than power for me to pull for them these days. It'll be nice if I can get one while pulling for Geese, but I certainly don't expect it.

Brigid is unimpressive. Her skills are interesting but unexciting, and I don't particularly like her art. More importantly, I want regular Brigid with Yewfelle, and this makes it look like that'll take even longer.

well, Sigrun took relatively short for her OG version to come out after her Bride alt

anyway, i'd really like to get at least one Tibarn and one Brigid
i'd also like to +10 Geese, but i simply don't have enough orbs

now that i think about it, i'd have liked Seeker (the first crow laguz boss Ike and his crew have to face when traveling to Begnion) much better than Dart
i know, Dart is the series's first pirate ever, but i still think Seeker would've been a better, more meme-y choice

@Ice Dragon "So yeah, Pirate Tibarn is bullshit and can go fuck himself."
that's all i wanted from him tbh, to be really good

Edited by Yexin

3 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Isn't DiveBomb the same as Summer Byleth's Duo Ability?

No, it is not the same. OM!F!Byleth's Desperation status effect is unconditional. Dive-Bomb is conditional.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Dive Bomb looks like it's going to be fucking annoying to deal with. And there's no doubt Pirate Tibarn is going to be on every other Aether Raids defense map. And as if he weren't annoying enough, he's also colorless.

This game has literally no good checks against melee colorless units (and barely any good checks against ranged colorless units). Nagi isn't going to cut it because it's blatantly obvious everyone's going to be running Pirate Tibarn alongside normal Tibarn.

Or maybe I can just stack a million Ward Fliers buffs on Myrrh and see if she can tank this bullshit with her refine.

So yeah, Pirate Tibarn is bullshit and can go fuck himself.

The only redeeming quality about Duo Veronica is the fact that Duo Idunn gives zero shits about her.

I feel like they're really pushing Evasion skills hard. Except Ophelia and Lysithea still shit all over them.

I would just throw BH!Ike at the problem, he will take care of it. With Flowers and Summoner Support, he is basically a free +10 unit.

Close Call, Repel, and Spurn are not good enough to handle Blazing nukes on their own, but with help from Urvan, Blazing nukes are pretty easy to deal with.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

(and barely any good checks against ranged colorless units)

There are lots of good checks against ranged colorless units. Fallen Lyon is the best one, but plenty of units can pull off Raven tomes well enough. Although the presence of Cancel Affinity does complicate things if you want to go all-in on that.

1 minute ago, Yexin said:

well, Sigrun took relatively short for her OG version to come out after her Bride alt

anyway, i'd really like to get at least one Tibarn and one Brigid
i'd also like to +10 Geese, but i simply don't have enough orbs

now that i think about it, i'd have liked Seeker (the first crow laguz boss Ike and his crew have to face when traveling to Begnion) much better than Dart
i know, Dart is the series's first pirate ever, but i still think Seeker would've been a better, more meme-y choice

Yeah, Sigrun was fast, but more of them seem to take at least 6 months. I was really hoping for Brigid on a Gen 1 banner by the end of Book 4, but that's looking a lot less likely now.

As for Dart, he isn't the first pirate in the series. In fact, this banner has the two playable pirates released before him.