Can I play FE3 without playing FE1/FE11

TheChoZenOne

So here's the thing. I heard Mystery of the Emblem is good. But I played Shadow Dragon on DS since its the prequel, and its a bit.... eh. I heard FE3 is a remake/sequel to FE1, so is it okay if just play FE3 to get connected and understand the full story with the Archanea saga?

14 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yes, as Mystery has the original game as Book 1. 

Cool, thank you!! 😁 I probably will stream it blind as soon as I finish my Pulseless Maddening run of Three Houses 👍

Tbh, I would recommend instead of playing through the first game again in FE3 to play the DS remake, New Mystery, with a translation patch. If you didn't like Shadow Dragon, I don't think you'll enjoy playing what is essentially the same game, but with a more dated interface. To get straight to part 2 of the Archanea saga, FE12 is your best choice, in my opinion.

Edited by twilitfalchion

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tbh, I would recommend instead of playing through the first game again in FE3 to play the DS remake, New Mystery, with a translation patch. If you didn't like Shadow Dragon, I don't think you'll enjoy playing what is essentially the same game, but with a more dated interface. To get straight to part 2 of the Archanea saga, FE12 is your best choice, in my opinion.

Oh no but I really want to play the first game, so if mystery has a part of it to play. I defintely want to, to get the full story

1 hour ago, TheChoZenOne said:

But I played Shadow Dragon on DS since its the prequel,

You said that SD is the prequel though. It's not. If you've played SD then you've played the first Archanea game, unless you didn't finish it. FE11 is a remake of FE1 and Book 1 of Mystery FE3. FE12 is a remake of Book 2 of FE3. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

40 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

You said that SD is the prequel though. It's not. If you've played SD then you've played the first Archanea game, unless you didn't finish it. FE11 is a remake of FE1 and Book 1 of Mystery FE3. FE12 is a remake of Book 2 of FE3. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

I didnt finish FE11 in the first place cuz like I said, I thought it was meh. Which is why im asking if I can just play FE3 in the first place. And yes I know all of that already. Hope that clears that up lol

Just now, TheChoZenOne said:

I didnt finish FE11 in the first place cuz like I said, I thought it was meh. Which is why im asking if I can just play FE3 in the first place. And yes I know all of that already. Hope that clears that up lol

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood you. Sorry about that.

Just playing FE3 is probably fine to get the general story of Archanea. It's missing a handful of characters (Wrys, Roger) and chapters (Pyrathi) from FE1, but I don't believe any of those compromise the story or gameplay. I haven't played the original Mystery personally, but I've heard it's worth playing. 

No, I wouldn't say so.

FE3 Book 1 basically axes the five least important chapters (as decided upon by the developers) from FE1/11, but no plot details or important characters are missing at all. There are a few minor recruitable characters who got cut, though: Wrys, Darros, Roger, Jake, Beck, and Gotoh. This means that the Pirate and Ballistician classes are enemy-exclusive in FE3's version of FE1's story, but your team should be more than diverse enough without them. As well, Gotoh does still appear in the story, he just no longer joins your party at any point.

I don't know that I'd call FE3 Book 1 the definitive way to experience the story of FE1—I would say Shadow Dragon is the definitive version in terms of plot—but it's definitely perfectly serviceable in that regard and you won't be missing anything major by playing that version.

Incidentally, if you would like to give Shadow Dragon another go, I'd definitely look into Cirosan's "Full Content" patch! This patch removes the unlock requirements for sidequest chapters and Norne's recruitment, makes the four Prologue chapters accessible regardless of difficulty, and integrates the online shop-exclusive items (Brave weapons, Elysian Whips) into the main game. There's pretty much no reason to play the vanilla game anymore if you're able to play it with this patch.

Edited by Topaz Light

• 2 weeks later...

Personally? I say that just playing FE3 on its own is good enough. It's arguably my favorite of the Archanea games. Furthermore, if you decide to play Book 2, there are actually a bunch of plot elements that got axed from FE12. It's really an interesting play.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:15 AM, GlitchWarrior said:

Personally? I say that just playing FE3 on its own is good enough. It's arguably my favorite of the Archanea games. Furthermore, if you decide to play Book 2, there are actually a bunch of plot elements that got axed from FE12. It's really an interesting play.

Wait, really? There were plot events cut from FE3 in FE12? Wow... Just, wow.

6 hours ago, GlitchWarrior said:

Yep. It actually ties into a twist related to Marth's heritage.

You have got to me kidding me... I gotta know that plot point now. Why is New Mystery such a disappointment good grief-

If there IS one flaw to FE3 other than it being an older, clunkier game, it's exposition. Jagen is always giving details on the situation at the start or end of battles. But hey, less main character worship than the remake (where everyone loves both Marth and Kris, the remake's avatar unit).

On 8/6/2020 at 11:34 AM, TheChoZenOne said:

Can I play FE3 without playing FE1/FE11?

you can, and you should. it's a unique experience by itself, compared to its original and the DS remake.

let's just say that it has its own charm. visually it's almost like playing a GBA game, with its own different mechanics and features.

On 8/6/2020 at 11:34 AM, TheChoZenOne said:

I heard FE3 is a remake/sequel to FE1, so is it okay if just play FE3 to get connected and understand the full story with the Archanea saga?

it surely has way more plot compared to FE1, not only in terms of main story but also because FE3 is actually two games in one( wich come in the form of 2 books ).

On 9/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

you can, and you should. it's a unique experience by itself, compared to its original and the DS remake.

let's just say that it has its own charm. visually it's almost like playing a GBA game, with its own different mechanics and features.

it surely has way more plot compared to FE1, not only in terms of main story but also because FE3 is actually two games in one( wich come in the form of 2 books ).

No I know its two games. Im saying if its good to experience F1 through FE3 instead of playing shadow dragon first?

On 9/17/2020 at 5:34 AM, TheChoZenOne said:

No I know its two games. Im saying if its good to experience F1 through FE3 instead of playing shadow dragon first?

in terms of gameplay, they have all different settings and features, so each game will give you a different experience.

in terms of story, FE3 and the DS remakes will probably have way more plot to offer compared to FE1.

since from what i understood you're actually playing for the story, i would suggest going for FE3 first.

you can always go for the DS remakes after that, if you're willing to replay the whole saga under different settings.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

in terms of gameplay, they have all different settings and features, so each game will give you a different experience.

in terms of story, FE3 and the DS remakes will probably have way more plot to offer compared to FE1.

since from what i understood you're actually playing for the story, i would suggest going for FE3 first.

you can always go for the DS remakes after that, if you're willing to replay the whole saga under different settings.

Okeydokey. Thanks for the suggestions man 😁👍

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it'd be that confusing to pick up on FE3 first if you prefer to do that. But I do think you should give Shadow Dragon a finish at some point, if you're a hardcore FE player anyway. I think it's kind of an underrated FE game and I like it more than its sequel.