NobodyKnowsTheHack (FE8, Tentative title, looking for feedback and some help)

TheJavKnowsNobody

Greetings! I'm currently working on the first hack I'll ever release. This is not my first rodeo when it comes to hacking (I've been making FE6 and FE7 hacks for my own enjoyment since early 2018, and I know my way around FEBuilder) but I'd say I'm still fairly inexperienced, as I still don't know some of the more technical stuff. So, what's this hack going to be? A comedic, jokey, slightly gimmicky one full of references to everything and a very thin plot (the basic premise for most of the hack is that the lord is sick of some guy's guts, so he sets out with his army on a crusade to kill him). There's a certain focus on humor, but I also want it to be a bit more than a joke stretched too thin by trying to give it fairly decent gameplay. So far, I have a good chunk of the 28 planned maps conceptualized, and about two maps that are more or less implemented. For the most part, the maps have a fairly clear design philosophy behind them, instead of being stuff slapped together. The hack will have 69 units, most of which have unique prfs and skills. I'm trying to avoid making an enemy-phase focused game by jacking up enemy offenses to respectable levels while nerfing their defense and resistance slightly.

I'd rather keep some of the hack's more specific details (see: characters) until it's officially announced and I've made some progress.. As for the exact help I'd need? Well, it's mostly graphical (palettes, animations, making maps look good...), musical (I can insert midis and tracks from other games just fine, I just need to know how to loop them and learn how to use midi editors), related to events (cutscenes, map conditions/events...), gameplay-related (when it comes to units I think I can make them fun and varied even if they're not well balanced, but I don't trust my map design skills as much). I wouldn't mind having to commission someone for music or animations (because that's a thing), though it might be a bit impractical.

If you have any questions or want to help, just ask me! For now, I'll leave you with this map layout I want some feedback on:

(yes, the file name is named bitches. Let's not talk about that.)

bitches.png

Well the map doesn't look too good but I guess enemy placement matters more anyways.

However do try to touch it up a little, use different plain tiles for example, and try to give the cliffs a more natural form instead of a straight line.

That's all I can say, I mean ok also when it comes to enemies if you want the game to be challenging make sure that some enemies overlap their ranges with each other.

Thanks for the feedback. I've added some "cosmetic" touches (trees, the path, more natural cliffs) and some modifications of my own (more breathing room at the start, a wider bridge, both an armory and a shop that aren't too off the beaten path, since the map is meant to be a light gauntlet). There's also some space between cliffs that could be used for secrets only certain units can access. Anyway, I think this map turned out better than the only other one I've made, which has more thought behind its concept but is a bit rough.

i swear maps won't be the only thing i post

bitches2.png

Edited by TheJavKnowsNobody