Failed to recruit Geitz in HHM

Whisky

I’ve never used Geitz in HHM before so I wanted to get him in this playthrough, but man is it hard to level up the lords that much. They need to average around level 17. That’s pretty high level to get such weak characters like Eliwood and Lyn. The deadline for this came up quicker than I expected and their total levels were only 43.

I even leveled up Lyn in LM and have her the Angelic Robe and Energy Ring just to make this easier but I still had a hard time using Eliwood and Lyn. Even with the Angelic Robe, Lyn is still frail and so is Eliwood. You have to be very careful using them, which makes it hard to give them so much exp. I only started this playthrough because I wanted to use Geitz with HM bonuses...

In conclusion, Geitz is hard to recruit, and Eliwood and Lyn are really bad.

I mean I've never had any issue recruiting Geitz in HHM but I guess that sucks for you.

In fact I typically find the actual recruitment part, getting Dart to talk to him, to be more difficult than raising the lords if Dart is untrained.

Edited by Florete

one of many solutions would be to actually give all your stats boosters only to the lords that need them.

example: in Lyndis's route, all stats boosters go to her. same goes for Eliwood's route and Hector's. and if they somehow manage to hit their stats caps on their way to lv20, even better, because you'll eventually have more items to share around characters. at least that's what i did before, and i'm doing it again in my current run of the game with no issues at all.

you could do arena farming too, but unless you're playing on an emulator with save files, i'd rather not recommend it due to the high risks of ending up with a bad match-up and getting blown away. it's probably wiser to let someone else lower the enemy's hp, and then let your lords do the final blow for a safe kill. less risks of resets, and better survival rate for the lords in the long run.

also, try to abuse the unit's weaknesses whenever is possible. Mani Katti, Rapier and Wolf Beil are always the best tools for farming enemy units like armored or mounted knights.

In my HHM ironman, I just managed to get Geitz by having Hector/Lyn/Eliwood at 20/15/15. It wasn't easy. Lyn still had six strength. Of course, my Hector was absurdly good (14 speed what the heck) and Eliwood was pretty okay, so that helped a lot. I just sorta gave 'em kills every once in a while and it was good enough, I guess. It was pretty hard initially because Eliwood had a rough start and Lyn was Lyn, but with use of dancer rings and effective damage, I didn't find training either one that hard.

Also-Once you get the Light Brand (If you get it) literally everyone, including Lyn, can put big damage on wyverns because it hits res.

Edited by Benice

27 minutes ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

one of many solutions would be to actually give all your stats boosters only to the lords that need them.

I did give the stat boosters in LM to Lyn. I didn’t give the lords the Dragonshield or Angelic Robe from HM though. That could have helped a little.

28 minutes ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

you could do arena farming too, but unless you're playing on an emulator with save files, i'd rather not recommend it due to the high risks of ending up with a bad match-up and getting blown away.

I don’t normally grind but if it’s to get Geitz, I might just do that next time. I’ve Arena grinder on lower difficulties but I haven’t on HHM. Is it riskier on HHM? I wouldn’t use save states for it, that’s cheating, I may as well just increase their levels with Gameshark codes at that point.

30 minutes ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

also, try to abuse the unit's weaknesses whenever is possible. Mani Katti, Rapier and Wolf Beil are always the best tools for farming enemy units like armored or mounted knights.

I definitely used those a lot. The Rapier And Wolf Beil both broke. Lyn still had her Mani Katti and was pretty effective with it. It was a lot harder to get kills for Eliwood once his Rapier broke since he doesn’t double enemies.

29 minutes ago, Benice said:

In my HHM ironman, I just managed to get Geitz by having Hector/Lyn/Eliwood at 20/15/15. It wasn't easy.

Oh wow, not a level to spare! And on an Ironman run. Good job. I find it hard to use Eliwood and Lyn because of how limited deployment slots are in HHM, although I guess deploying more units wouldn’t help them get more experience but it makes it harder when you’re deploying such weak  units instead of much stronger units with the limited deployment slots. Eliwood and Lyn have really bad bases and it takes a long time for them to get good.

31 minutes ago, Benice said:

Also-Once you get the Light Brand (If you get it) literally everyone, including Lyn, can put big damage on wyverns because it hits res.

It’s too late to utilize the Light Brand once you get it though, because the next chapter is the one that they need to reach the level benchmark for.

43 minutes ago, Whisky said:

I did give the stat boosters in LM to Lyn. I didn’t give the lords the Dragonshield or Angelic Robe from HM though. That could have helped a little.

thing is, if you're playing to fullfill some specific requirements, it's a given that the more your lords are boosted early on, the better it will be in the long run.

now, Hector has always been known to be a beast from the get-go, but Lyndis and Eliwood will surely need some babysitting before they actually get good enough to survive on their own.

once you reach the speed cap with Lyndis, you won't really need anything special as long as you use Slim swords. those are very useful for both dodging and critting too. you could eventually give her Guy's Killer sword for better critical chances on tough enemies.

Eliwood is kind of an hybrid unit though, so he might need some more time to become decent. he's not as tanky as Hector, and definitely not as dodgy as Lyndis.

using Ninian's rings also helps. actually, using bard/dancer all the time helps a lot, especially if you play by exploiting enemy weaknesses and the weapon triangle.

I don’t normally grind but if it’s to get Geitz, I might just do that next time. I’ve Arena grinder on lower difficulties but I haven’t on HHM. Is it riskier on HHM? I wouldn’t use save states for it, that’s cheating, I may as well just increase their levels with Gameshark codes at that point.

i honestly can't remember, but if it's lords we're talking about, chances are you will eventually have to reset due to gameover(wich can become quite frustrating due to time wasted), or loose your money in case of withdraw(wich will in turn lower your funds for stuff/units you will probably need later on, making things overall even harder for you).

money and items sharing between active/benched units is quite important regardless of difficulty, so unless you already have a lord with capped stats that can actually survive and get kills on his/her own, i'd rather not take the risks mentioned above.

I definitely used those a lot. The Rapier And Wolf Beil both broke. Lyn still had her Mani Katti and was pretty effective with it. It was a lot harder to get kills for Eliwood once his Rapier broke since he doesn’t double enemies.

you should probably try to not overuse them, since they're rare and have limited uses.

those weapons are more suited for killing bosses, rather than farming enemies whenever it's possible. it's alright if you want to use them on some tough enemy unit once in a while because the situation demands it, but it would be wise to save at least about 10 uses for each lord's weapon, in order to have enough tools available for defeating some bosses with armored/beast weaknesses.

out of the three lords, Lyndis is probably the one that will benefit the most from his own signature weapon due to overall better double attack/critical chances.

Hector can eventually one-shot armored units, but his accuracy isn't that great against other enemies.

Eliwood pretty much gets the short end of the stick, because he doesn't have the strength of Hector, nor the double attack/critical rate of Lyndis. he's basicly there to support others and leech exp until he gets good/promotes.

Edited by 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ

1 hour ago, Whisky said:

. I find it hard to use Eliwood and Lyn because of how limited deployment slots are in HHM, although I guess deploying more units wouldn’t help them get more experience but it makes it harder when you’re deploying such weak  units instead of much stronger units with the limited deployment slots.

I mean...

I've killed off literally 24 of 34 units so far, not including the multitudes of Lord deaths and Merlinus, or the characters I resurrected (Wil because he's a meme, Oswin because I didn't want to kill him off after a reset because he was so good and he didn't deserve it). Marcus died in 13x. (As it was a soft ironman.) More often than not I've had enough deployment slots to spare.

19 hours ago, Benice said:

I mean...

I've killed off literally 24 of 34 units so far, not including the multitudes of Lord deaths and Merlinus, or the characters I resurrected (Wil because he's a meme, Oswin because I didn't want to kill him off after a reset because he was so good and he didn't deserve it). Marcus died in 13x. (As it was a soft ironman.) More often than not I've had enough deployment slots to spare.

Oh wow, I might try a soft ironman of this game after this. I’m too scared to do a real Ironman. Personally, this game is harder for me than FE6 is. I beat a true Ironman of that game (didn’t get the secret ending though). I don’t know why this game is so much harder for me (on HHM that is), and using Lyn and Eliwood instead of better units doesn’t help.