Let's Play: Banner of the Maid Fire Emblemesque Isometric Chinese Tactical RPG

IGdood

I think it's been a few years since I've done a LP on SF.  Real life has been quite busy, and well working in medicine hasn't allowed me much respite due to current events. 

But now and then I think I can take some time for myself and get back into the hobby of gaming. 

Banner of the Maid is a relatively new tactical CRPG that on first glance looks like a cross between Fire Emblem and FFTA in terms of isometric map perspective.  It's set during a fictionalized account of the French Revolution so a few familiar historical names are thrown around. 

The game is built on the Unity Engine.  It's made by Azure Flame Studio which is based in Mainland China.  It has been translated to English, although the voice acting is in Mandarin Chinese.

I'll be going into this completely blind. 

I won't be screenshotting on the dialogue, so I'll sum up some things. 

Here's the main menu!

f4OaFu9.jpg

I'm a peasant so officer mode it is for me

Fh0O5ax.jpg

Loading screen tips

PECGZRc.jpg

Totally reminds me of FFTA

sWeT1lS.jpg

nQZialp.jpg

Cutting down some infantry in a cutscene

4qfgzYB.jpg

YY9cjDD.jpg

Fire Emblemesque Chapter transitions

4TRCsX7.jpg

We're supposed to look for the King of France, who may have absconded.

7Ih1Ahq.jpg

I assume I'm NOT part of the Royalists

98gz9AB.jpg

Looks like I'm in command of General Marquis de Lafayette.

He's a heavy cavalry unit (Dragoon class), and his class ability is Charge, which allows him to gain +1 attack per 3 grids moved.

His character skill is Dignified, which inflicts -10 Def (resistance to guns) and -10 Amr (resistance to swords and cannons) after attacking an enemy unit.

You double an enemy if your SPD > theirs by 3.  Sco is the equivalent to SKL in FE.  Lead affects hit chance also, dodge, HP recovery, and morale gain. 

BcupNnT.jpg

oMZnSjC.jpg

I quite like the artwork.

ysvYHNY.jpg

JLE4Dym.jpg

Q5OvZnT.jpg

After eliminating some royalist guards, Lafayette goes off to look for the king.  Enter the Comte de Mirabeau, who notices there's a female royal in the carriage.

He has her step out.  She's worried about the fate of her children.  They talk about something she must do for the future of France.  As the revolutionary (?) soldiers approach her she flashes and a force field pushes them back. 

Gbe9aCa.jpg

Mirabeau mentions "the power of the Maid."  Looks like we're getting into a magical version of the French Revolution?

6BzwZs4.jpg

5 years later we're in Toulon, France.  We're still seeing things from Mirabeau's perspective, and he's in the carriage with Pauline Bonaparte, the sister of Napoleon Bonaparte.  France is currently ruled by the Assembly, and the nobility's grip is weakening.  Reforms have been made, and women are allowed to attend the Ecole Militaire, a military academy.  She and Mirabeau talk about how the royal family is changed from a "certain woman's" actions.  They talk about the powers of the "maids" but dismiss them as rumors. 

Pauline is relatively fresh from the academy.  She's still pretty green and easily affected by seeing the casualties of war.  Toulon is close to the front line (France is at war with both traitors, the British, the Austrians, the Prussians) and she's seeking to link up with her brother for advice. 

They note that if the revolutionary regime loses the war, the nobles and the royal family can get back in power. 

mrEdA9l.jpg

Now we play from Pauline's perspective.  Turns out Toulon has already become an active war zone much to her surprise.

She's alone but a new character named Leclerc shows up to reinforce. 

Historically he's probably Charles Victoire Emmanuel Leclerc, and historically he does end up marrying Pauline Bonaparte. 

YdQG9ec.jpg

Instead of having a weapon triangle we have a class triangle. 

Light Cavalry beats Light Infantry, but loses when going up against Heavy Cavalry.  Light Infantry beat Heavy Infantry.

In a way the design is based on historical tactics.  Light cavalry are used to catch light infantry who don't have the training to stand toe to toe in melee combat.  Light infantry are used to snipe out infantry of the line. 

LwDq0La.jpg

Leclerc is Chasseur a Cheval, France's skirmishing cavalry of the time. 

His class trait is First Mover Advantage, which the game states as "Range +2 when counterattacking, and enemies cannot 'Chase-Attack'"

His skills are Passionate, which increases attack by 2 when morale >=50 and morale gain also goes up by 5.  He also has Morale Strike, which lowers Morale equal to Damage Dealt and also removes "Heroic" status effects.  This is probably to reflect the duty of light cavalry harrying any would be impetuous troops, historically speaking. 

0SF06s4.jpg

Pauline Bonaparte is of the Fusilier Class.   Essentially she leads the rank and file, who do most of the dying during these gunpowder wars.

Her class trait is Line Battle, where adjacent infantry units gain +1 Atk and +1 Def.

Her skill is Inspiration, which can only be used once per mission.  It grants a unit +2 attack for 3 turns. 

She carries an Experimental Musket which has a range of 2 but lowers the speed for double attacking checks by 2. 

KM3ztEG.jpg

The enemies are Jagers from Austria.  They're light infantry and therefore pose a threat to Pauline.

Their class trait grants them +10 dodge. 

doI7CNB.jpg

That's all for now.  Hope you guys like this.  I find it interesting thus far.

Edited by IGdood

Huh, this game looks cool, I'll put my replies in a spoiler box to save space

Spoiler
2 hours ago, IGdood said:

I'm a peasant so officer mode it is for me

Fh0O5ax.jpg

Pssht, play on Lunatic Reverse ironman, filthy cashewl. Also anime so of course we have boooobies....

Totally reminds me of FFTA

sWeT1lS.jpg

Ooooh! Pretty!

Looks like I'm in command of General Marquis de Lafayette.

He's a heavy cavalry unit (Dragoon class), and his class ability is Charge, which allows him to gain +1 attack per 3 grids moved.

His character skill is Dignified, which inflicts -10 Def (resistance to guns) and -10 Amr (resistance to swords and cannons) after attacking an enemy unit.

You double an enemy if your SPD > theirs by 3.  Sco is the equivalent to SKL in FE.  Lead affects hit chance also, dodge, HP recovery, and morale gain. 

BcupNnT.jpg

Holy fuck the artstyle is incredible!

Guess that was all, I'm hoping to see more of this!

Alright thanks for the replies, got an update for ya!

To recap Pauline needs to be rescued.  The objective is to have both characters get to the yellow tiles to win the mission. 

This chapter introduces some terrain effects.

As I move Pauline around she scavenges some items.  Seems like they offer bonuses if equipped. 

hJ1g49I.jpg

jn3RQoy.jpg

k7vwgSt.jpg

KP6JZHg.jpg

Leclerc is going to do most of the killing this time.

s7Tukea.jpg

oPyubtP.jpg

aLkIj5A.jpg

YkKWmgv.jpg

Morale Bar sounds like a Limit Break of sorts. 

hEzMdWO.jpg

yqJhGJq.jpg

I'm not sure if healers exist in this game, but for the time being I subsist on Vulneraries I mean bread

3MSucUs.jpg

ie64pwy.jpg

Leclerc's unit is ready to unleash a Heroic Attack due to having full morale.  It deals 1.5x the usual amount of damage and grants extra EXP upon killing an enemy.

8dtEhEL.jpg

zIJhy7O.jpg

We get our characters to their meeting point.  Introductions are cut short when it is revealed that the enemy artillery has their sights on our protagonists and bombardment ensues.  Leclerc jumps off his horse to push Pauline out of the way, getting injured in the process.

gRzRMXm.jpg

UYZkzV4.jpg

We're introduced to Napoleon Bonaparte.  He states that Leclerc broke both his legs in the process and he'll need a replacement.  Pauline is chosen.  She blames herself for her mistakes, and Napoleon reminds her sternly that she's a soldier first and foremost.  If she's not up for the job, he'll send her home.  Interestingly enough, he was the one who persuaded Pauline to enlist in the military academy in the first place. 

Rk4uCjJ.jpg

To take back Toulon, the French have to assault Fort Mulgrave and take control of the cannon there.  Then they can drive the British warships out of the area. 

XQq7zY8.jpg

We are introduced to a few new characters.

Rose de Beaumont.  Aside from having large cannonballs, she's also an artillery commander and a noble.  She's also nicknamed the Maid of the Royal Family due to her almost supernatural talents for logistics and making use of the terrain.  Her loyalty is always in question by the revolutionary regime since she's a noble. 

I3ZgabI.jpg

Hubert Mondego is an adjutant sent to watch over Napoleon.  He's buddies with the higher ups in the army and has been rapidly rising through the ranks, though he doesn't necessarily have the talent.  In other words, he's a product of cronyism.  It's not uncommon in the French army at this point in time. 

udwmQu2.jpg

At first it seems there's a lot of enemies for an early game mission, but Hubert has the cannon instakill a few enemies here and there.

3Oa6yAJ.jpg

pGCSL6P.jpg

We're reminded that only Pauline gains EXP this map.

euWYdXN.jpg

UmvuvSV.jpg

I suspect that most of these characters will end up in the party at some point. 

Hubert Mondego leads a unit of the Garde Nationale, same in class as the Fusiliers.  He has Line Battle as a class skill.  His character skills include Stubborn (immune to unrecoverable and uncontrollable) status effects, whatever they are...  and Artillery Protection where he has 50% damage resistance against Artillery attacks.

Zbyx0Fq.jpg

Rose de Beaumont is an Artillery unit.  No speed (so no double attacking), no dodge.  Artillery units have a range of 2-4.

Interestingly enough her character skill of Terrain Mastery is labeled as a "Maid Ability" and it grants +2 speed on flat terrain to ALL units and +2 Def and +2 Amr on non-plain terrains.  Lots of geo effects from her.  Her other skill is Movement, so she gets +1 Mov compared to other characters. 

dtCVCa2.jpg

Napoleon is clearly like the Jaegen so far. 

He has Conqueror, which buffs all units within 2 grids with +2 Atk and +2 Def and +1 Mov at the start of each turn.  He also has Reorganization, which allows him to recover 20% of HP whenever he defeats an enemy unit.  

2VAAzVi.jpg

Clearly the tactics for this map are to use Napoleon to buff Pauline and Rose.  Rose will weaken enemies and Pauline will finish them off for EXP.

BWf9z2a.jpg

These white coats are Austrian Line Infantry.  Not very impressive when it comes to stats.  And they've got a smug grin too.

7Y2E1FG.jpg

Used Napoleon by accident, and he doubles and kills any unit so...  damn.  Wasted some exp.

CYYErxB.jpg

We make our way towards the top and now we're fighting British redcoats.  Their stats are a bit better, but our units still steamroll them.

YaLypOI.jpg

PoMLCcY.jpg

Lady Wellesley?  Did they genderflip Sir Arthur Wellesley, the man who historically defeated Napoleon? 

baU0fCM.jpg

Level up!  Not sure if growths are random though

7MGgwpZ.jpg

We've managed to kill off the British and take the cannons at the top.  Now the British warships will flee!

gQ3Qw5u.jpg

Pretty sure this is Lady Wellesley. 

5Cc6MO2.jpg

You gain money with victory, and probably you'll get graded too

LsqtQa5.jpg

2 months later, Pauline ends up invited to Paris for some awards ceremony.  She happens upon a lady named Josephine whom she's supposed to stay with.  Josephine's husband did not survive the guillotine during the purges of nobility during the revolution. 

uL7EE0D.jpg

OEcuiUk.jpg

Josephine also introduces Pauline to the different factions in the city of Paris.  These factions may end up giving sidequests after you establish a relationship with them.

Of note, Napoleon Bonaparte is affiliated with the Jacobins faction.

WVU7H17.jpg

zPKMWNY.jpg

lfLvszA.jpg

R6UBLle.jpg

Seems like occasionally there will be a choice to do something and it grants a skill to Pauline. 

q6CXe7U.jpg

qUL3YxK.jpg

IXtxZxp.jpg

Looking forward to side quests soon!

OZBQt4R.jpg

f44i0Om.jpg

4 hours ago, IGdood said:

Lady Wellesley?  Did they genderflip Sir Arthur Wellesley, the man who historically defeated Napoleon? 

Oh no, is it one of those stories? Where a bunch of major figures are female and a weird dynamic ends up forming from it? They've already done it to Wellingon, who's next?

Then again, the protagonist seems to be Napoleon's sister, so maybe I'm too pessimistic.

And this whole Maid thing is also something with a ton of questions, but I'll not ask that for now.

I also wonder what the wine does (very important in this game, I should hope.). The lack of cake as an item in this suggests that Antoinette withdrew her remarks.

Spoiler
14 hours ago, IGdood said:

Rose de Beaumont.  Aside from having large cannonballs, she's also an artillery commander and a noble.  She's also nicknamed the Maid of the Royal Family due to her almost supernatural talents for logistics and making use of the terrain.  Her loyalty is always in question by the revolutionary regime since she's a noble. 

I3ZgabI.jpg

Anime being horny? never...

14 hours ago, IGdood said:

These white coats are Austrian Line Infantry.  Not very impressive when it comes to stats.  And they've got a smug grin too.

7Y2E1FG.jpg

He reminds m of... Trevor from the Justice and Pride FE8 hack.

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

Oh no, is it one of those stories? Where a bunch of major figures are female and a weird dynamic ends up forming from it? They've already done it to Wellingon, who's next?

Lol, sounds hilarious but bad xd.

Got a non-battle update.  Here we go....

Previously, we've gotten started with the different factions of Parisian society.  We'll dwell a bit more into that...

It's time for a banquet!  And Pauline's gotta go. 

HUxTqwl.jpg

PQ6LzdQ.jpg

gdzLbti.jpg

There's a list of achievements and challenges for the player.  It would appear that one can build a party.  20 units?!

h6Oxgb0.jpg

There's also a Gallery with Pauline's thoughts on each item

nVWNdQk.jpg

m92Fgjd.jpg

Time to go to the palace

8acITRE.jpg

It's a bit clear that the royal family doesn't want all these non-royals around. 

Some folks believe the revolutionary regime will collapse and things will go back to how they were. 

5TH70Oe.jpg

iS3RrkP.jpg

zaQzL03.jpg

If I remember correctly Robespierre did have a hand in the execution of the king of France during the Reign of Terror. 

He is a member of the Jacobins faction. 

eJJHh10.jpg

Enter Marie Antoinette, the lady who wasn't named in the prologue. 

Interestingly enough, they bring up the concept of Maids again.  Some say they are Witches and heretics. 

W3phIb2.jpg

2LESceV.jpg

Seems like they want Pauline to thank someone.  Guess what?  I choose the third path and socially awkward Pauline goes on a speech about promoting her own faction and saloon.  Marie and Robespierre are taken aback, as they expected Pauline to choose a side.

sl710NB.jpg

8rEgL84.jpg

Unfortunately you're still forced to choose, and being the contrarian that I am I decide to have Pauline thank the royal family.  Robespierre is a bit nonplussed. 

dEuEVq6.jpgwGJ4nuS.jpg

It would appear that Queen Marie and Pauline already know each other from the past.  They talk about Marie's homeland of Austria and how she feels about being the queen of a country that is at war with her home country.  Marie doesn't have much to say, only that it is unfortunate.  Pauline's next mission is to go to the frontlines in Italy. 

Bxa1mro.jpg

pe5gG01.jpg

Time to leave the banquet.  Oh wait who is this? Not Desaix from Fire Emblem Echoes?

This chap is a noble but he sided with the revolutionaries.  Historically he was one of Napoleon's trusted men and ended up getting killed by a random musket ball. 

Seems that he's interested in Pauline, but she's reserved for Leclerc.

bySdxpJ.jpg

Joan of Arc was a Maid?

Anyone they talk a bit about sending soldiers to their deaths and fighting for the good of France, but otherwise not much else happens.

qzSo6Jz.jpg

There's sidequests now related to the different factions.

9fBGmm0.jpg

Z3QOa4i.jpg

Louis XV invites Pauline to talk about guillotines and how he's been improving them.  The servant also makes a mention that you never know who will end up next, implying that the roayls are trying to get back in power and the revolutionaries will likely be purged if that occurs.  Regardless, he grants Pauline a small sum of funds for her Italian campaign.

iAI7pnR.jpg

STvfC9w.jpg

ZwK93H8.jpg

lljnhHK.jpg

A new location has been unlocked!

15Vk8Ex.jpg

Napoleon is commander in chief of the French Army in Italy.  The enemies are the Austrians and the Prussians. Pauline will reinforce her brother. 

mxmJ5Ow.jpg

GeAEcvh.jpg

We're introduced to some new characters.

HtFJjnS.jpg

D'eon is a diplomat and Pauline's fencing instructor.  He's appointed by Queen Marie and likely has affiliations with the royals. 

UI4BYfw.jpg

Joachim Murat is an arrogant cavalryman and likes to wear extravagant clothing, which will actually factor into his skills later.

xWSXZZQ.jpg

Jean Lannes is a young, able officer and of merchant background.  Not a noble.  Seems to gripe a lot about logistics.

ZTlAN60.jpg

Definitely reminds me of the unit selection screen in FFTA with the checkerboard

qNpM9Pb.jpg

Murat is a hussar unit. Light cavalry meant for hunting down light infantry. 

Class skill is raid, granting him +2 Atk and +2 Def against light infantry.  His stats imply he doesn't do well in direct melee combat with melee enemies. 

His character skill is Gorgeous Clothing, granting him the ability to debuff enemies in 2 grids around him with -20 Dodge and -10 Hit chance. 

jEbsV1H.jpg

Jean Lannes leads Fusiliers. 

His character skill is Courage, allowing him to get a 20% buff to attack and +30% damage resistance to all attacks when HP < 50%.  During this time all successful hits against enemies allow him to recover 3 HP.  Sounds like a hardcore version of Wrath.

FN2izQ7.jpg

D'Eon leads Tirailleurs, or French Light Infantry.

Class skill is Skirmisher.  Grants Dodge +10 at baseline.  if attacking an enemy from the flank or rear, grant +1 Attack and +40 Dodge. 

Character skills are Guard, granting adjacent allies +1 Def and +2 Amr.  Also Search.  If target not on flat terrain then grant +3 Attack and Hit Chance +20.  Basically foes who try and use terrain bonuses get fucked by D'Eon. 

NdW1Eg8.jpg

Spoiler
11 hours ago, IGdood said:

Enter Marie Antoinette

W3phIb2.jpg

Yo what the hell why does Marie Antoinette have such huge bazongas?

His character skill is Gorgeous Clothing, granting him the ability to debuff enemies in 2 grids around him with -20 Dodge and -10 Hit chance. 

jEbsV1H.jpg

How enemies will manage to hit him less despite all that heavy clothing is beyond me.

Joan of Arc was a Maid?

Anyone they talk a bit about sending soldiers to their deaths and fighting for the good of France, but otherwise not much else happens.

qzSo6Jz.jpg

1: Oh god this might be going down that road I was afraid of after all.

1: Her being referred to as a maid is historically accurate (being she was referred to as such when she came to prominence)

2: Magic instead of divine miracles.... I guess that's where they're going with it. Especially with the earlier comment about maids and witches and how she was condemned.

As for Marie Antoinette, I have a feeling there's a bread joke somewhere with her.... considerable fields of wheat.

2 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yo what the hell why does Marie Antoinette have such huge bazongas?

How enemies will manage to hit him less despite all that heavy clothing is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

As for Marie Antoinette, I have a feeling there's a bread joke somewhere with her.... considerable fields of wheat

If you thought she had fields of wheat, look at what comes next.... 

CRPGs man 😅

As previously mentioned Pauline is now in Italy assisting Nappy's conquest. 

The pre-battle menu

s9ywznr.jpg

q4FGCUp.jpg

Victory conditions.  Apparently you can unlock battle advice by scoring relationships with another faction.

6anranZ.jpg

There's some artillery units on the ridge above.  Best to avoid them.  Murat calls into doubt having such a young commander in the form of Pauline.  He shuts up quickly when she gives a very detailed plan (to the player) on how to win this map.  Which is basically use the terrain, avoid the artillery, and use the class triangle.

HXnvPqv.jpg

msEc2lX.jpg

2abQSo5.jpg

Lannes respects Pauline, but being a stickler for supplies he laments the fact that we are all undersupplied.  Weapon durability is a thing in this game, but it resets after the end of every mission. 

fPucDmR.jpg

YfXI9VH.jpg

The Artillery class generally cannot counterattack if attacked at close range.  They also get a stat boost if they attack without having moved that turn. Otherwise they have poor defenses and speed, and will be doubled quite easily.

W5K5dg0.jpg

f1z5bOW.jpg

Lannes and Pauline get sent into the thick of it. 

2PauMVn.jpg

JaBXjQM.jpg

D'eon's high damage and the ability to double spells death for the enemy Line Infantry.  However he's a level 5 while everyone's a Level 2.  Don't want him sucking out too much exp

PIVBPhT.jpg

t8TrzuJ.jpg

Murat is the perfect choice to send against undefended Light Infantry and Artillery.

XQCctDd.jpg

fHJB3ln.jpg

Enter Paulette Meric, a drunk artillery officer who shows up late to the battle.  She, too, has impressive round shot.  Unfortunately she doesn't have any for her unit and we have to go scavenge the battlefield for some before she can be of use.  She is an acquaintance of Lannes.

qEGFk8D.jpg

CDQPXxj.jpg

QYjW8dI.jpg

Ub28M11.jpg

She has two unusable cannonballs, if you catch my drift.

SPVzz7A.jpg

Paulette carries a bottle of wine, which boosts morale.

Her character skill is Drunkard.  Whenever she drinks wine she gains an additional +10 morale and +2 attack for 3 turns on top of the +20 morale.  So she's very item dependent. 

rASJOuT.jpg

No healers, but if you place your units next to a campfire they can recover.

qVrpZBB.jpg

I'm letting D'eon draw fire and weakening enemies for the newbies to finish off.  Thanks FE training.

QHE04HT.jpg

Paulette turns red whenever she orders her unit to attack since she sips her wine at the same time.  Nice little details.  Unfortunately I let her get attacked but thankfully she didn't get doubled otherwise she'd be dead.

TqwJF77.jpg

vmWGQyg.jpg

Looks like he's the boss.  Too bad he shares the same portrait as that of any generic enemy's

Bh3WOuC.jpg

I like the artillery animations.  The enemy boss has high HP and attack but not much else. 

mZNvS4E.jpg

pBlgapn.jpg

D'eon uses a heroic attack to take that HP out!

Cp1T12D.jpg

64GfzFz.jpg

Pauline strikes the killing blow.  The Austrian officer accuses her of witchcraft.

iOIiJ4I.jpg

Victory!

O0273m1.jpg

rPA990h.jpg

The party develops a growing respect for Pauline.  Pauline calls Paulette an elder, whereas an irate Paulette says she's only 27 years old.

yZO9PLv.jpg

Next chapter but wait not yet

YFUjnvV.jpg

The royal family is the equivalent of the item shop.  Sell junk to them and buy equipment from them.

TPSJ5kv.jpg

FHxI4Yg.jpg

Murat can use some armor.  His hussars have none.

VBFknkX.jpg

Appease the royalists and higher tier items will unlock.

MhVA2Fu.jpg

I actually purchased a $5 DLC for Banner of the Maid, and that DLC chapter grants a character after completion.  Looks like it's unlocked.

rX52LGx.jpg

As it's developed by a Chinese developer, I'm not surprised they chose a Chinese character to be the DLC character and not somebody Korean or Japanese, etc.

A merchant escaped from some pirates and took some jade away from them in the process. 

dn1TuLi.jpg

8owUXWH.jpg

lO9QEQl.jpg

Meanwhile Pauline and Lannes are trapped behind enemy lines at an unknown port city.  Their only way out is to board a British ship.

YNBzSKD.jpg

SzcGTZj.jpg

Our DLC character is fluent when she speaks to herself in Chinese, but when she's speaking to British or French characters they purposely change up her level of grammar

Ching Shih is 鄭氏, a very famous female pirate lord who terrorized the South China sea in the 19th century during the Qing Dynasty.

NJr7ewo.jpg

ZNacrcW.jpg

Damn, this attack animation reminds me of the FE Swordsmaster's.  The female pirates leap and do a spinning sword strike, followed by a pistol shot, and then followed by a second slash as they run past their targets.

u3tpeu7.jpg

dNyBYl5.jpg

dZGQ5Gk.jpg

FF5cg13.jpg

Pauline and Lannes gain new nicknames as they assume command of pirates.  They are temporarily class switched to Light Infantry.

GRhImSw.jpg

OkpIaXg.jpg

5c4fsXc.jpg

4ZVYsyL.jpg

Meanwhile a bunch of color template switched pirate characters show up in another ship under our command.  They were hired by Zhiyun under the promise that there's some good looting to be done.

kMPZwM5.jpg

JzFAKyt.jpg

ekqkctn.jpg

So the class of Zhiyun is Oriental Pirate.  It is considered to be Light Infantry.

The class skill is She's a Pirate - Attack Range +1 when counter attacking and damage taken -40%.  Heroic attacks performed with these troops can sometimes yield an item. 

b17rpCK.jpg

Character Skills are

Survivor - Doesn't suffer the debuffs from Foggy or Rainy weather. Rather, they get buffed with +2 Movement and HP recovery of 4 whenever landing a successful hit on an enemy.

Plunder - When attacking and landing a hit, automatically take 1 durability off an enemy's weapon. 

Misguide - Switch spots with an enemy, consuming 30 Morale and debuffing them by Movement -3 and Attack -3 for 2 turns.

mIeZhAi.jpg

The enemies are all high level redcoats.  They gain HP if they end the turn with adjacent friendlies, so I had to position the units to separate the enemies from each other.  With their high HP and our limited supplies it was a matter of preventing any sort of HP recovery otherwise the battle would've been unwinnable.

3zDljLn.jpg

Zhiyun is also the only one capable of crossing ships with the blue tiles.

V3DcEYL.jpg

Our 4 other pirate characters have unique bios despite the blatant color swapping.

VFXlydm.jpg

mhvAmeG.jpg

E19QvWh.jpg

eaq72kx.jpg

They were good at dodging redcoats, but their damage barely put a dent in their HP

NEs9AlS.jpg

Zhiyun could reposition her ship.  Turns out her ship fires cannonballs from time to time which really put the hurt on enemies if you could get them to stand in the bombardment zone.

TfWmbzs.jpg

iswPm8e.jpg

mwEQ2I2.jpg

hKwMWOq.jpg

INcLeTJ.jpg

After what appeared to be a battle that took forever, I claim victory!

wRhFgbm.jpg

Hxfaz0B.jpg

V7A5IZl.jpg

Zhiyun didn't find any treasure from the merchant ship.  She can't go back empty handed to her boss back east.  So she offers to sign up as a mercenary with Pauline and co.  The possibility of plunder is quite attractive. 

vJhnWJV.jpg

rmd8LF6.jpg

Lannes has concerns about the military discipline of pirates, but Pauline says she can use light infantry like them.

yNIBZiu.jpg

c5EjkPK.jpg

3 hours ago, IGdood said:

QYjW8dI.jpg

I mean, there must be something about French wheat according to these devs.

I actually purchased a $5 DLC for Banner of the Maid, and that DLC chapter grants a character after completion.  Looks like it's unlocked.

rX52LGx.jpg

Suddenly, pirates.

Alright, that wasn't a thing I was expecting here.

Zhiyun didn't find any treasure from the merchant ship.  She can't go back empty handed to her boss back east.  So she offers to sign up as a mercenary with Pauline and co.  The possibility of plunder is quite attractive. 

That is a convenient reason for the pirate to not just sail off into the sunrise.

Spoiler

Enter Paulette Meric, a drunk artillery officer who shows up late to the battle.  She, too, has impressive round shot.  Unfortunately she doesn't have any for her unit and we have to go scavenge the battlefield for some before she can be of use.  She is an acquaintance of Lannes.

qEGFk8D.jpg

ooga booga, bigu tittie.

Looks like he's the boss.  Too bad he shares the same portrait as that of any generic enemy's

Bh3WOuC.jpg

I still like the smug faces of these guys.

Ching Shih is 鄭氏, a very famous female pirate lord who terrorized the South China sea in the 19th century during the Qing Dynasty.

NJr7ewo.jpg

Ching Shih was a badass. Also she looks cute, not overbearing, just beautiful ❤️

Damn, this attack animation reminds me of the FE Swordsmaster's.  The female pirates leap and do a spinning sword strike, followed by a pistol shot, and then followed by a second slash as they run past their targets.

u3tpeu7.jpg

Cool animation.

A side quest battle update.

These entrustment quests offer extra exp, provided you can beat them.

tJrBuFX.jpg

A simple, kill 'em all type of mission.  I'm ok with this

h8C92lt.jpg

Austrian Light Infantry lack the smugness of their Line counterparts.  Unlike Jagers, they're more like slow snipers rather than agile, dodgy folks who flank line infantry.

XOZOKQE.jpg

A very long time ago, I wondered if Fire Emblem sprites could be edited to represent regiments and entire squads.  The dodge animations probably would've been difficult to implement.  Banner of the Maid just has all the soldiers do a little shift to the right/left whenever bullets start flying to represent dodging.  It's kinda silly, but hey it works.

gPFqytG.jpg

Pauline and Murat gain speed for their level ups.

XssyBJm.jpg

H8o3qij.jpg

A few close calls here and there, but we fight our way to the town.

24ojgFZ.jpg

qRPneJL.jpg

This enemy boss doesn't move.  But he also has high artillery resistance.  But that's okay, just grind him down.  Paulette farms some EXP

3vUBGLh.jpg

FW7xa02.jpg

Wopyj00.jpg

Big OOF.

ZeL6YDL.jpg

1i8EYak.jpg

nWGnJ0K.jpg

dbEUSmY.jpg

WTeWjqo.jpg

Chapter 4, BEGIN!

lN1ybdu.jpg

We're introduced to children in the army.  This is Aimee Leclerc, sister of Charles Leclerc.  She reminds Pauline that Charles' legs are still recovering and she owes him big time.

P9E0Vry.jpg

rMDZo7s.jpg

SW7Pnkr.jpg

The party learns that Oscar de Rochambeau, a female noble officer and cavalry commander is trapped by the Austrians.  Murat has doubts about rescuing a noble, but he's quickly set straight by everyone else.

jfjsiYs.jpg

dL1fajn.jpg

ixiqNEK.jpg

Looks like there's a LOT of enemy cavalry to deal with.

FA6Y1BJ.jpg

0LZJard.jpg

Heavy Cavalry deal more damage the further they move to an enemy target.

XI3vbBt.jpg

msCIP6U.jpg

We're introduced to the portraits of the Austrian cavalry commanders.  Hussars are fucking swag.

5nqMN8R.jpg

xpabZSV.jpg

Heinrich appears to be an Austrian dragoon commander.  His skills make him seem like a ....not sure what to say.

Gentleman:  +5 attack against males, -3 attack against females

Intercept:  Inflict -3 speed and -2 Movement for 1 turn on an enemy that is attacked

qIsYEE7.jpg

Holy fuck, look at those stats.  I'm betting this one will retreat before I get to her.

FID5Bx7.jpg

Oscar de Rochambeau has a flat chest(plate) and has the skill Upright.  She seems to be a tank, as it grants her +2 Def, +2 Amr, +10 hit chance when she attacks an enemy from the front

Nr5n0tO.jpg

Aimee Leclerc leads the military band, presumably a combination of healers and the dancer mechanic from FE without granting extra turns.  The amount healed is dependent on the recipient's Leadership stat.  She can also raise morale artificially so heroic status can be achieved faster.

Class Trait Virgo: Friendly units within 2 grids gain +10 hit chance and + 10 dodge.

Character Skill Charity: When she uses an item, adjacent units receive +30% HP and +15 morale.

RbtxObC.jpg

How cute.  Drumroll!!!

TxqQbI1.jpg

Heavy cavalry have such high armor that light cavalry can't even touch them.  Oscar proceeds to wipe the cobblestone streets with the bodies of Austrian hussars.

4bYQc5e.jpg

nhCg3zt.jpg

3VGYh5j.jpg

Yes we know that

IlLfyce.jpg

Unfortunately Austrian Heavy Cavalry can stand up to Oscar.  Thankfully she's got some bread.

sTua8mf.jpg

Got cavalry hitting me from all sides, and Murat is kinda useless against heavy cav.  This game really makes the class rock paper scissors apparent.

pGve9PT.jpg

zwz4cdy.jpg

It starts to rain.  Lanne remarks that this will make combat difficult.  Paulette teases him a bit.  He's probably tsundere for her.

QiewmUX.jpg

mdmQOba.jpg

b8Xnj29.jpg

Oscar gets a new sword.

onLqEKj.jpg

As predicted, Leonore leaves before you get to her.  Heinrich borderline simps for her and declares that everything he's doing right now is to impress her.

mUqPZeb.jpg

arGN2h3.jpg

A few drunk enemies join the battle. 

AS6VUkg.jpg

Qs97NZg.jpg

Line Infantry are the best assets against heavy cavalry, as they lack defense against bullets in general.

QVJDOtc.jpg

r7ky4xu.jpg

b6XuXNy.jpg

h89GmSt.jpg

The King's Guard Sword makes Oscar more resistant to bullets. 

NPjvAlg.jpg

She deals the killing blow to Heinrich's unit.

dd3bL6v.jpg

phd0mtT.jpg

k30FmCc.jpg

Level ups all around.

vAos3Y5.jpg

K79b4v1.jpg

upDklnA.jpg

Got a juicy story update.  Either I haven't played tactical games in a long time or Banner of the Maid is actually challenging. 

Turns out that Oscar knows of Pauline from her very first battle.

S10YtGO.jpg

Oh this is steamy. 

6FMmjko.jpg

unyFSOa.jpg

MCV5trj.jpg

cq4i7bY.jpg

piJK2IO.jpg

1AIPzTP.jpg

And now back to Josephine

rn1fud9.jpg

YEUqZNi.jpg

6ToZxWf.jpg

We're introduced to Mademoiselle Laure, who seems to be accused of witchcraft.  Turns out she's just very socially awkward but is an actual healer.

04tEXWF.jpg

s9F9YJo.jpg

I choose the top option.

VaJtARw.jpg

JWG3ikK.jpg

There's some strange disease which is causing toenail discoloration, amongst other things.

ruWMyj2.jpg

dVVEtUp.jpg

g6jCLdj.jpg

6ZTUui0.jpg

ZLanYfE.jpg

7geJn8c.jpg

Yg25Vzx.jpg

This fucking chapter was nervewracking.  Or I just suck.

5X7Gh0X.jpg

J3xVIqD.jpg

Annnnd look who it is!  Desaix is here.

zF7eIgG.jpg

We're told that due to political instability back in France, Napoleon is running out of time to "liberate" Italy.  He's pushing hard into enemy forces but there's a second group ready to flank him.  This is where Pauline's army comes in.  Flank the flankers.

Vg2NQCN.jpg

E49W9F8.jpg

Louis Desaix commands heavy cavalry like Oscar. He's more offensive based than being a tank.

Character Skill: United as One: Every friendly unit adjacent to the target enemy gives a buff to Desaix in the form of +2 Attack, Def, Amr when he engages said enemy.  Seems like the perfect unit to throw at a boss.

Replace:  Swaps position with a friendly unit within 2 grids.

EbcnQ5m.jpg

The Jacobins Club is the place to buy firearms.

8sgdQFS.jpg

RNSQruQ.jpg

The Grocery Store sells swords and healing items.

jffQoiO.jpg

sqiDqCw.jpg

2 new sidequests appear.

WkzJMX9.jpg

VqmZzjs.jpg

Some flavor text.

hjR0VlU.jpg

FtqcCaY.jpg

I start off the Entrustment: Defensive side quest.  We gotta prevent enemies from occupying the flag.

8Lc99qI.jpg

Enemy cavalry whiz past my infantry.  It's gonna be a lot of cav on cav action

foXxEec.jpg

697ADS8.jpg

Murat isn't really helpful due to the sheer amount of heavy cav here, but he's doubling them and doing plenty of chip damage.

id23CVl.jpg

id23CVl.jpg

KDELCz3.jpg

Thankfully there's no permadeath in this game.

5AAYMSJ.jpg

This is the mission's boss.

p3UwbBZ.jpg

fpUuP0f.jpg

Desaix is a bit underleveled, so I give him the kill.

wNojcwy.jpg

onlbukG.jpg

SeCpImM.jpg

Honestly I'm not getting a lot of funds from these sidequests, but it's the EXP that's the true reward.

CX8Tk54.jpg

I initiate the other sidequest, where you command Oscar and see things from her perspective prior to the arrival of Pauline's forces.  It's essentially a mission granting her a lot of EXP.

Y3qKdjT.jpg

Since she's such a tank it's a piece of cake.  Just camp the campfire.

JJYOzDb.jpg

LAThzaA.jpg

zsboAab.jpg

zW3BBAs.jpg

Damn, she learns to debuff?  Nice.

M7vWs3B.jpg

It seems that because she's a noble, her family has suffered quite a bit from the revolution.

JXAZkhf.jpg

KM3LBsx.jpg

Okay, there's a shipper on deck here.

EVlfRzV.jpg

lR04ems.jpg

Dodge -10

Okay why would I let a unit carry this

qD3S3Te.jpg

Alright time for a full frontal assault.

D4k3f3g.jpg

UFUV4KY.jpg

e5hpLEQ.jpg

That's a lot of enemies.

And the enemy artillery units are going to be a total pain in the ass to defeat.

The challenge is to win the mission in one piece by knocking the gate down.

Otherwise you can just go around the walls and go through the more lightly defended gap once you get rid of the loads of enemy cavalry.

kO5J7Om.jpg

DlSgEhs.jpg

a3BOIrT.jpg

z2jBDIm.jpg

Regardless of a unit's attack, it takes 4 separate attacks to knock this barricade down.

eUOMxVn.jpg

Oh boy, can my forces withstand this assault? 

I have Lannes plug up the narrow path where all the enemy cavalry are.

FlNfEC2.jpg

hhDvh2Y.jpg

DQrxvCG.jpg

Desaix goes off to handle the light cavalry in the corner.

tpbabTv.jpg

D'eon gets bombarded.  His Amr is pretty shit so I move him to a bush and have him eat bread.

vEuKJMX.jpg

nO7IdtB.jpg

Oh man, I can't even touch the enemies

opXrEPh.jpg

WDSGTW4.jpg

wuzrC02.jpg

Using a 2 range experimental musket is sneaky as fuck.  Not to mention there's loads of warm bodies between my cavalry and the enemy artillery.  And now I've got no HP to fight back

0J3TcV1.jpg

UkhNicZ.jpg

I'm expecting casualties, but I eat as much bread as I can and heal the tank

TjktSpc.jpg

Thanks RNG

nszNe3z.jpg

Oof

kj5dMa9.jpg

Why did they have not one but two bosses here

a5yMHw3.jpg

WARhAH8.jpg

Lannes is just farming exp away from his comrades who are suffering heavy casualties

0NxjnQt.jpg

RNG fucks Oscar over and she misses

GPz3nSf.jpg

B0w8tLQ.jpg

Desaix is slow enough that Little John can wipe out his unit with a double attack.....

TL2SsXQ.jpg

Pauline levels up and learns Reorganization, which may be key this mission

OiCh0Xx.jpg

z06n6Ic.jpg

Big John is killed off

MwyBrqt.jpg

etZXW4T.jpg

Little John is enraged at his brother's death and WHY THE FUCK DOES THE GAME BUFF EVERY REMAINING ENEMY

misbr5A.jpg

EPVuGt3.jpg

Now we can reach the enemy arty!

hEVI1xO.jpg

teQMSoR.jpg

D'EON NOOOOO

xFQqnY7.jpg

OF51RwS.jpg

Paulette and Desaix kill off Little John for good

8xSyptL.jpg

SXU0dSx.jpg

D'eon was pushed to retreat, but we managed to complete the challenge!

TUEGicB.jpg

rGqLXgz.jpg

Pmp8zPy.jpg

IEHE5TL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We're introduced to a new character, Cosette.  She can talk to birds and is a dedicated scout and sniper. 

MxTaH3j.jpg

x3bzU6m.jpg

0VulB8H.jpg

CfAFGIV.jpg

Chapter 6 begin!

PupgFlH.jpg

Back in Paris, Robespierre and Lafayette lay into each other regarding an incident involving the shooting of civilians.

UghSaPG.jpg

ASydrsT.jpg

JqcM56c.jpg

We're seeing this from Josephine's perspective.  Lafayette says he had to arrest some nobles before they started fighting with the commoners.  Robespierre says Lafayette should not have decided to release the nobles and should've executed them all.

Personally I think Robespierre is out for blood so I choose to support the nobles.  Josephine words it with tact and Robespierre is satisfied with the response.

xUeouOy.jpg

REYCoyZ.jpg

GI4dYmV.jpg

SYetChP.jpg

Now that we're in Chapter 6 we're introduced to the military academy function.  Using items found in our battles, we can unlock extra skills for our units.

LJXMjS2.jpg

tCj83je.jpg

NwKf28C.jpg

252USZe.jpg

GuKC1Qo.jpg

I think Paulette can use this skill

pRnPp6w.jpg

jECHjxc.jpg

Lure would be useful for a cavalry unit

0GSg41w.jpg

Cosette is a Chasseur.  She's light infantry but not like D'Eon, who has high dodge and attack.  She is able to fight with a range of 2, and is treated as having a permanent penalty when counting doubles. 

Character skill:  Aerial View - Maid ability, if target is on flat terrain, deal 3 extra damage. This is sorta the opposite of D'Eon's, who gains higher accuracy when dealing with enemies on rugged terrain. 

0uF5OUS.jpg

Mirabeau sells free exp essentially for money.   He can also sell songs for marching band. 

gwM6JLG.jpg

Hmmmm

amR9N7S.jpg

Fuck, I wish there's no time limit when winning

rPh7OPt.jpg

KGeWT74.jpg

Paulette is gonna be VIP this battle.  She was sober enough to "remember" the skill of Horse Transport, which lets her move an extra 3 squares after an inital move.  This is reflective of the concept of Horse Artillery at the time

kl6e5ii.jpg

yfuA8L4.jpg

CRRyIVo.jpg

>Lashing

Damn, what are these Austrians up to

GqGDQVM.jpg

These Drillmasters gonna be fucked

7Dx9nft.jpg

GONcJ3k.jpg

Snipin' time

QeQDeLA.jpg

jJjy0jj.jpg

Paulette finally gains 1 speed.

She also learns something useful like an AOE

lgB1GRX.jpg

Murat and D'eon fucks em up

zQBywv7.jpg

dtwTAP0.jpg

My hoarding tendencies means I'll never take advantage of Paulette's drinking

cVGu6Ot.jpg

sn0l5ee.jpg

Death from above!

n7iIiWY.jpg

Murat gains some additional damage.

DLaVQSx.jpg

aG40uIP.jpg

Oh hey, it's the equivalent of a FE Thief coming in to break treasure chests

TxyOVpN.jpg

KnLeOA2.jpg

eWaFos4.jpg

>this is the boss

>he didn't care

>this is important biographical information

iFXwLt8.jpg

I was one turn away from killing the thief

They get to escape as soon as they get to the treasure chest.  Well shit, I wonder what i missed out on

18ofwdY.jpg

Alphonse doesn't stand a chance

NTk3tWc.jpg

wckgbNI.jpg

Oh nooooooo

kci7lCS.jpg

BYbFKrH.jpg

We won, but Cosette had to retreat...

2QdHd9y.jpg

I'll be keeping an eye on this, I've heard about this game and heard it was quite good.

Some things to note...

-Why does most girls have huge boobs and that the heroine the one with 'normal' ones ?
-GUNS ! 😄
-This game's grasp on french is pretty solid, thought reading 'THE Ecole Militaire' hurted my blue-white-red heart.

Good luck, I'll be watching

On 8/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, B.Leu said:

I'll be keeping an eye on this, I've heard about this game and heard it was quite good.

Some things to note...

-Why does most girls have huge boobs and that the heroine the one with 'normal' ones ?
-GUNS ! 😄
-This game's grasp on french is pretty solid, thought reading 'THE Ecole Militaire' hurted my blue-white-red heart.

Good luck, I'll be watching

The artists sure love their assets and chests hahaha

Indeed, GUNS!

On 8/30/2020 at 5:28 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

I don't have anything to reply to but hey the new units seem... interesting

Maybe something in this post will earn a reply!  Bahaha.

It's gonna be a castle assault mission.  There better not be a time limit. 

We're basically securing a fortress so we can guard Napoleon's army from being flanked.

eIaK4Ar.jpg

Also we can ask for a character's assistance.  Looks like it will impact what factions think of us.

EISZo9y.jpg

Tits win the day.  Also Rose seems nicer in personality than that other guy. 

QM9JvdD.jpg

lkrJW9t.jpg

yen6NMb.jpg

By improving our relations with the Royalists, we can buy more items.

PPSjsBl.jpg

Ooooh promotion items.

exaWk6a.jpg

But first...before we assault a castle let's take a sidequest and level Desaix up a bit.

ldZ0syN.jpg

Desaix recalls one particular officer who stood out to him from a past battle. 

This battle is also fucking RNG dependent as you have to keep all AI friendlies alive. 

FThIdI6.jpg

wWVfu4x.jpg

This particular guy's name is Fernand. Desaix thinks he's actually a deserter based on appearance but turns out he just looks like a ruffian (by French standards, I suppose)

He quickly apologizes to Fernand.

8Om8jCD.jpg

JVxnTOy.jpg

9wZHTVI.jpg

The trick to this battle is praying to the RNG that Fernand doesn't need your assistance because the two friendly dragoons need some degree of assistance and the friendly artillery unit across the gorge has only 2-3 turns of time before it gets obliterated by the enemy line infantry unit and you need to switch positions using Desaix's personal skill.

DcunxlA.jpg

ah7aZ2O.jpg

French NPC portraits!  Also Fernand.

Zv5kjfZ.jpg

U4BP2OW.jpg

kH46qu3.jpg

Fernand gives Desaix some doctor's medical journal. 

NbcLKF7.jpg

XRLopPw.jpg

5ibNvw3.jpg

xmN20LB.jpg

M9lo8tc.jpg

Desaix also says Murat looks like Fernand (in other words, he looks like a ruffian)

EjmJJsJ.jpg

hoOfEXL.jpg

YvvkMVF.jpg

Now that we improve relations with the Jacobins, we get better ranged weaponry.  Too bad I got no money.

D1IKrZj.jpg

CvZZf8G.jpg

Alright let's go.

p7AlYT8.jpg

Oscar recounts a particularly horrid battle which Pauline took part in as acting commander.  Pauline wonders if dead troops resented her with their dying breaths, but she is reassured that everyone is fighting for a better French future.  Oscar however mentions again that her father is still imprisoned for being a noble.

1bXNk5o.jpg

OmMacCe.jpg

Pauline hopes that as long as she keeps winning and fighting, things will right themselves for everyone.  A bit naive, but not a bad thought.

OD3Aoe3.jpg

>13 turn time limit

mrP88Jc.jpg

Prussian fusiliers are the Prussian equivalent of the Austrian riflemen with their 2 range

dvLGdXK.jpg

The enemy boss is named Baldur.  He seems a little senile.

But his abilities will fuck us up hard.

Keep the Line - Adjacent infantry will regain 20% HP per turn

He has Ricochet so can't group my guys together too much. 

H0rRd5J.jpg

The enemy generics talk about reinforcements.  Jee I wonder.

g4e1MSN.jpg

lPMZWnA.jpg

2KGWNRX.jpg

1pkXsFR.jpg

j0xgUcX.jpg

I will assign Lannes and Desaix to go intercept.  Everyone else will be part of the main contingent.

x5s5pJl.jpg

35lt3Ft.jpg

Enemy healers will probably be my number one priority

ogM1RNT.jpg

Oh hi Rose

VIdoM62.jpg

hZc0PYK.jpg

Taking great care to avoid the artillery on that elevated area...

6s6mSmH.jpg

gt42Ey4.jpg

0gkmRoD.jpg

Oscar narrowly avoids death

She gets doubled way too much.  So does Desaix.

jAGIAPy.jpg

MG8ASVl.jpg

Remember the challenge objective that Rose can't take damage or we fail?

Well fuck I knew the game was gonna pull this shit off

KM5vDWN.jpg

Lots of enemy light cavalry reinforcements

IzCUD71.jpg

nLFeZLE.jpg

But I managed to accomplish one objective!

zPQ7nY2.jpg

noUMGqj.jpg

4pOi6Wh.jpg

Rose can really take down HP, but unfortunately not enough to OHKO

OrUEdmU.jpg

Eat bread

XHZpeJw.jpg

Oh dear it's raining

And suddenly the boss and his crew charge us all

EUl32O8.jpg

Motherfucking Baldur launches a heroic attack on Pauline

Thankfully she is not stunned afterwards

mr6Qmo0.jpg

VVP1htu.jpg

Cutscene time

The French troops lose morale and Pauline's maid powers activate

ZaXU0XN.jpg

FghLalL.jpg

ZPWXlyG.jpg

Time to dis these Germanic fucks

dCBmq40.jpg

U5c8L0W.jpg

bKyORtM.jpg

kG7rGgH.jpg

>magical and inspiring

Ihspjl4.jpg

Inspiration is now upgraded to affect not just Pauline, but the entire army from now on.

yMQV29J.jpg

FJjiOIB.jpg

ZMAwgPS.jpg

HEROIC ATTACKS/HEALS FOR EVERYONE DIE MOTHERFUCKING BALDUR

7XERq5m.jpg

fcccTRV.jpg

QSjSuOs.jpg

rhOfJHC.jpg

2CmwUCi.jpg

ISQzWfX.jpg

Zkx6mEO.jpg

F7ERAVT.jpg

Have to Pauline back though.  She's too heavily hurt.  I wish I had 2 healers...

FhhVmxq.jpg

Cosette has gotten to the point where she can reliably double despite that skill taking off 2 SPD

I87MNIP.jpg

bElGbz1.jpg

vVZFERh.jpg

oPLoi2f.jpg

s7D4Mc0.jpg

My bad it was either you or Pauline

4lXa3TZ.jpg

fnHtLNy.jpg

ggyYvCV.jpg

s6LFKQU.jpg

Murat was useless this whole battle.  Granted I didn't use him well, he did minimal damage against the dragoons harassing Rose.  Rose was able to fend for herself anyways...

uRsgUse.jpg

NWmLIsw.jpg

Spoiler
18 minutes ago, IGdood said:

The trick to this battle is praying to the RNG that Fernand doesn't need your assistance because the two friendly dragoons need some degree of assistance and the friendly artillery unit across the gorge has only 2-3 turns of time before it gets obliterated by the enemy line infantry unit and you need to switch positions using Desaix's personal skill.

Oh gee sounds like fun </s>

20 minutes ago, IGdood said:

Now that we improve relations with the Jacobins, we get better ranged weaponry.  Too bad I got no money.

D1IKrZj.jpg

Lies I see 3160 funds right there. I also like how reputation gives you cool stuff, I wonder what would be the best shop or best thing to unlock first...

21 minutes ago, IGdood said:

1bXNk5o.jpg

Oscar is a girl? Wait what. What a weird name for a girl.

23 minutes ago, IGdood said:

35lt3Ft.jpg

Hey look, little babyface gained a new skill, sounds pretty good if you ask me.

26 minutes ago, IGdood said:

>magical and inspiring

Ihspjl4.jpg

Protagonist powers? Protagonist powers.

I could've sworn I had no money.  I might've been looking at another screenshot...

Anywayss....

Protagonist powers.  Witchcraft, heresy, and mutation!

FpqxtZp.jpg

FNeIiHa.jpg

Like most newfound magic powers, using it for the first time causes the protagonist to go into a coma

KnBVwFE.jpg

EBlg2wb.jpg

Uxy0AVP.jpg

lvGep6f.jpg

drzkrsd.jpg

Where this

eLxFxFD.jpg

m5CkPlG.jpg

RJrsh7o.jpg

Ah, it's Desaix's older sister, Francois-Antoinette Desaix.  She reminds me of Marianne from Three Houses.  She believes the Maid powers are a curse as all who carry such powers end up dying miserably.  Each maid's powers differ and it depends entirely on the woman.  Her own power is that she can inherit and view the memories of her dead ancestors like an animus machine from Assassin's Creed.  She also does not understand why lil bro joined the revolution, as the commoners have killed many members of her family. 

gImYe92.jpg

aKxxOdk.jpg

FNoUrYX.jpg

8adgHQS.jpg

Even in present day, maids are considered blasphemy and heresy though the days of the crusades and medieval times have long passed.

0KJ5IHb.jpg

flgjzhu.jpg

svZhRVR.jpg

vsylNUG.jpg

VHKKeHH.jpg

igeK6lX.jpg

Apparently Mirabeau knows more than he lets on about maids. 

xv33c7N.jpg

kf90ZZX.jpg

Pauline meets up with Desaix who informs her that Nappy was completely victorious in Italy and the war there is over.

dRBbJtB.jpg

9ePpS1V.jpg

AsmhMkV.jpg

yHpuIIy.jpg

Ohoho, next chapter.

Who be these new characters?  At least they don't have overly large chests.

vnhMf1K.jpg

Historically, the Secret du Roi was a network of intelligence agents that served the king.

Apparently D'Eon used to crossdress so well that men would ask for his hand in marriage. 

892hdST.jpg

uEJb4TO.jpg

Adelaide de Broglie is one of the Secret du Roi.

Nivernais is a teenage girl spy who is mistaken as a teenage boy.  Pauline is confused, as she remarks that Nivernais totally looks like a chick.  I mean, she's flat but she's still got a bit of chest.

cIHcwDH.jpg

WoLDyEK.jpg

ceCidgN.jpg

There is a plot to assassinate the king.  The crew attempts to deduce who the culprits would be.  The foreign powers would want to have French royals in command, so naturally if the king were to be assassinated the blame can go to the revolutionaries.  Therefore, if a foreigner did want to assassinate the king they would not be suspected.

rYTHPuk.jpg

6YGUQql.jpg

F5Q7svq.jpg

Adelaide de Broglie commands the same unit as D'Eon.  Like him, she's a flanker rather than a sniper.  Her character skill is Intelligence Gathering, which plays into her low HP base.  If HP < Target's, get +1 Attack and +20 Dodge.  Otherwise I think she's already faster than D'Eon.

SVnvh5O.jpg

Time to buy some skills and improvements..

sbPtgXq.jpg

CfGb6PA.jpg

These Free Combat missions yield EXP only, not additional money.  Otherwise you can endlessly grind.

oDIVOOC.jpg

DcG73xF.jpg

So I grind a bit.

Also wtf is this

Pk0ilTs.jpg

Turns out MUSYNX is a new indie rhythm game from another Chinese company.  And I guess Azure Studio is giving them a shoutout

dIyMpFB.jpg

1viURg8.jpg

I do some grinding and this is more or less what stats the characters have.  I don't know if the growths are random or fixed.

M4VZ2Ac.jpg

prHaVnp.jpg

BZg0UkH.jpg

Cosette is really one of my favorite units thanks to her long range, high attack, and she has good spd growth

4iLu6LP.jpg

I'm not really impressed by D'eon to be honest.  Adelaide has much better stats in almost all areas.  D'eon can stat boost adjacent infantry with his guard skill, but that's about it.

vSPdq71.jpg

rYaF25F.jpg

NgYyE7W.jpg

That SPD is so bad

lEjHUb5.jpg

Ip1uMq9.jpg

Murat needs a better weapon, otherwise despite his doubling he can't kill off light infantry and artillery fast enough

EAMPYyb.jpg

Let's pay the comte a visit.

BWQaiot.jpg

S726PEQ.jpg

It's the story of Joan of Arc.

>Spearmen
wait

cV4gSEg.jpg

x3v7nsy.jpg

>6 turns

Ah fuck

0sX1W4l.jpg

So basically this map is more puzzle than anything.  You have to kill off the enemy in 6 turns so you have to kill at least one per turn.  Some of the enemies have high enough HP to counterattack, but Pauline can kill them all and you need to utilize her Reorganization skill.

DxWA3BP.jpg

cBuBXJr.jpg

Sadly there's no pikeman or spearman animations. 

1f3gfyy.jpg

Took me three tries to get the right sequence

ljcyBf5.jpg

X9RiIea.jpg

lzevDOF.jpg

I like how Mirabeau essentially cuts Pauline off at this particular question and says "NEXT TIME WE SHALL TALK ABOUT IT"

Jrtsy1C.jpg

MWz9sB7.jpg

Okay now we go to the next map

K45vOaZ.jpg

CC7hiz6.jpg

>Investigable shark corpse

Cavalry units will be important in reaching those treasure chests. 

Maybe I should replace D'Eon with Mu Zhilun the pirate. 

ymVOXDQ.jpg

ulzLQUg.jpg

Spoiler
7 hours ago, IGdood said:

I could've sworn I had no money.  I might've been looking at another screenshot...

You did spend it afterwards, so that's what happened I guess

8 hours ago, IGdood said:

VHKKeHH.jpg

Perhaps her miserable end will be the guillotine...

At least they don't have overly large chests.

vnhMf1K.jpg

Still pretty big on average by irl standards I think... I'm not sure.

Cosette is really one of my favorite units thanks to her long range, high attack, and she has good spd growth

4iLu6LP.jpg

She's also a beauty.

She'll perhaps get the head chopped off....perhaps.

Cavalry will form the right flank.  All else to the left.

X8w6XBl.jpg

We thought there'd only be royalist insurgents.  But holy fuck how'd the Austrians get here?

Someone bribed the inspectors.  We must root out the corruption.

9ohBF8r.jpg

9ohBF8r.jpg

3Zne5E8.jpg

Bandits may not kill you, but if you lose all weapon durability then you're kinda fucked.

We gotta keep killing people to flush out the boss.

vK5wkyR.jpg

i06EFzV.jpg

Things are going well

8tNpRKu.jpg

>5 damage

>laughs in high defense

kvjSI1k.jpg

Lannes is really putting them down

cCr1sfb.jpg

BpcjfxD.jpg

Oh hey I know this generic portrait

RpfEzoB.jpg

Oh fuck lots of line infantry reinforcements

9bgQGl8.jpg

>mutual missing

afKjnwC.jpg

41tVT7f.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't bother to check that the Austrians can pull the heavy cavalry into enemy territory with Lure

EESBNKc.jpg

>38 HP

holy shit DLC OP

ZFOwYBf.jpg

What this

ypGe8dn.jpg

Oscar is dead, and Desaix will probably be routed soon

But I can lose 2 units before losing the battle

WXkZdaN.jpg

There's an ancient book found in the shark.  It seems to be written by someone who has magical powers

HnMVHHw.jpg

GHpcUnr.jpg

V0bSbgM.jpg

xXqK5rq.jpg

Pauline wonders if she'll die in mysterious manners like the author of said book

NmCJwTB.jpg

0RUNkzO.jpg

Opening some chests

xvHeWN2.jpg

EJIipS5.jpg

>Pecker

Please, give me all the dick jokes.

Pecker apparently was hired to guard the boats against....traitors?  He claims that he was duped and he didn't expect to fight French regulars.

IJDXJ1b.jpg

3joWZw9.jpg

My mind is in the gutter

GR1gl0x.jpg

7A2yLFV.jpg

Adelaide gets more OP.  Bye bye D'Eon.

iYG7NHL.jpg

9V9ngka.jpg

Exactly what are these badges?

PU5YAzE.jpg

dKHxYKg.jpg

ez3WPQp.jpg

xP82bXb.jpg

Ooh seems like an interesting gun.

hscZ5RO.jpg

Murat gets to be useful

5Sb8eeT.jpg

PnDoXxA.jpg

Pecker gonna get chopped

UDIJ281.jpg

3G627up.jpg

KLMUjIQ.jpg

8jPSN1J.jpg

8aeEXbZ.jpg

Pecker gets interrogated, and he says that he seriously doesn't know what the fuck is happening.

He states he used to be a guard for the nobles and now with the revolution he's out of work and has taken up banditry.  D'Eon believes that more hidden Austrians have likely snuck past and are on their way to assassinate the king. 

T6OI0eD.jpg

WmpX8SP.jpg

JV140Fo.jpg

Back in Versailles, Louis XVI throws a fit when he is told that the palace guards are being withdrawn.  He notes that the commoners are really testing his patience and he can't accomodate to such unfair demands.  Marie asks him to do it for the sake of their children.  Mirabeau states that this is what the Assembly would want; to have the king get into direct conflict with the Assembly so they can have an excuse to probably behead the entire royal family.

ytbLT6q.jpg

YpmYQyN.jpg

Mirabeau states that this is the only way to appease the commoners for now.  Louis XVI is not happy that the very consultant he has hired seems to be taking the opposition's side.  He also throws a pretty big threat in private conversation with Marie.

Lc9kGJC.jpg

GOlEqCj.jpg

vZDn1qu.jpg

We seem to get a hint of Marie Antoinette's maid power.  She can predict the future with prophecies.

Sx2rQge.jpg

They also mention that the armoire de fer had been broken into.  Historically it was an iron chest housing important papers. 

8Xju3Kr.jpg

Nivernais is mentioned, and Marie mentions that Nivernais actually grew up outside of France.

5BEs80b.jpg

Our next mission is made clear.  We are to escort Marie Therese, the royal princess.  Historically, I believe she was the only offspring to survive to adulthood.

R2ThFfy.jpg

ElvO83D.jpg

BRu59qJ.jpg

The pirate musket would probably be useful when you're able to camp a bush and bait enemies.

usskEaA.jpg

Mmmm, money

YVzzUZO.jpg

Ooh a side mission.  Marie Antoinette has rumors spread about her for apparently spending military funds on jewelry and etc.  The peasants are pissed and demand blood.  The sidequest objective is to arrest all the people spreading fake news.

K4u7lfA.jpg

lZJR096.jpg

56PLicz.jpg

tepJ0JG.jpg

u3xb4tA.jpg

cBgK2tA.jpg

We get our first glimpse of promoted class enemies.

2OnFukb.jpg

I only need to kill the bandits, but all these dragoons have the Intercept skill and can lower movement if they get a hit in

tH56N17.jpg

ovVRfYY.jpg

>those hats though

pFOUUzi.jpg

Desaix learns a useful skill

He's at the max amount of skills so I have to switch something out for Tenacious Defense.  I haven't really used Replace much so...

L3AKp6S.jpg

Adelaide will prove useful in 2-rounding bandits and dodging everything else

blcQZJZ.jpg

p1dF60q.jpg

They said for the challenge to complete this in 6 turns.  Did it in 4.

flpylfZ.jpg

Mp8f9W5.jpg

mNWtXsn.jpg

DMhc3oH.jpg

Efs92dr.jpg

cwVBFmd.jpg

V7XWeBe.jpg

Oh this is lovely.

jqRVrj3.jpg

>Special Bread

>not croissant

aorUqvy.jpg

I replaced Replace.

mhucSFj.jpg

Next chapter.

LGeKxWg.jpg

NEW CHARACTERS

1LrCleM.jpg

We're introduced to the princess and her female bodyguard...

She's probably gonna be an OP cavalry unit.

XQpdS8V.jpg

The princess believes she's living out a fairytale.  Her bodyguard is her fair knight with a blessed sword made to keep demons and enemies at bay.  She's undecided as to whether she is actually the fair princess of a fairytale or the arrogant noble archetype.  But she's riding a horse too.

dtkmUJ2.jpg

Y7EMyX2.jpg

NcOXrQt.jpg

Pauline shows up.  The bodyguard's name is Charlotte.  She used to be like an older sister to Pauline and her friends back at the academy.  She's also affiliated with the Feuillants.

K5ZHtW1.jpg

bpL42TC.jpg

ByXzFG1.jpg

esmui1x.jpg

>Try to reason

>It didn't work but I get 50 Royalist points anyways

SRuy4up.jpg

dbKtscU.jpg

Px9JhGJ.jpg

5Yg0fQI.jpg

TJo7CYk.jpg

3iFxzM5.jpg

It's an escort mission.

h5c7eL2.jpg

BXf8lC2.jpg

Charlotte commands Hussars.  She's only level 6 and her stats seem ok. 

Character Skill:  Merciful Revenge - Deal 2 extra damage to enemies not at full health/are buffed

zev6YCL.jpg

Marie Therese Charlotte

While she hasn't officially joined us (yet, probably), she commands Chasseurs like Cosette does. 

Princess:  Cavalry units close to her get morale and defensive buffs. 

TZkKuGb.jpg

Spoiler

She'll perhaps get the head chopped off....perhaps.

An ugly thought indeed.

Desaix learns a useful skill

He's at the max amount of skills so I have to switch something out for Tenacious Defense.  I haven't really used Replace much so...

L3AKp6S.jpg

Btw, have I said yet that Desaix looks like Quan? Because he really does.

>Special Bread

>not croissant

Dissapointment.

On an unrelated note, I believe you should write what you want to say below the designated image, it makes it easier to read along that way imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 6:09 PM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

An ugly thought indeed.

Btw, have I said yet that Desaix looks like Quan? Because he really does.

Dissapointment.

On an unrelated note, I believe you should write what you want to say below the designated image, it makes it easier to read along that way imo.

Desaix does look like Quan holy shit.  Down to the hair color!

The reason why i write the caption above the image is because I generally sum up the content of a group of images and then follow it up by the most relevant ones.  It's also easier to post because I post the images relevant to the statement rather than upload a group of images first and then describe what I just uploaded. 

Anyway!

To recap, the last post we were ordered to escort a princess!  This was quite the endeavor and I had to restart the mission 3-4 times due to deliberately shit AI probably because I had Pauline try to explain things rationally to the princess, causing her to act "arbitrarily."

The princess' AI would move her away from your units and the map has 3 possible paths that she can take.  So it became a strategy of moving your units just beyond all her possible move ranges in the hopes that she wouldn't get OHKO'd by pretty much 90% of the enemies on the map.

GJoZ1SS.jpg

hAKV7GY.jpg

sVKtysk.jpg

Charlotte.....the princess has her own guards but her stats are utter TRASH

4EYq1Yu.jpg

See how I'm making a piss poor attempt to form a protective ring around Therese's move range?

SDbkefR.jpg

FTlYIzA.jpg

Charlotte already proves herself to be just as capable as Murat in dodging shit. 

iPyOJ8f.jpg

The challenge objective of this map is to lure the bandit across the map over to the locked chest and hope that he doesn't get fixated on trying to kill your units (or get killed by your units) in the process.  Creative, but it's fucking hard

iIkL5me.jpg

PRINCESS GET BACK HERE

jjhj8Wg.jpg

Had to send Lannes in as a suicide unit because those dragoons are killer

MH8AEWj.jpg

WlU8fwn.jpg

Thankfully Cosette is capable of regularly doubling enemies now

RW9QSAS.jpg

It's so difficult to keep up with Therese.  Her move range isn't exactly low!

NrmSXN9.jpg

TlJgLfX.jpg

AkuV0cA.jpg

And of course the bandit goes after the NPC who can't be commanded .

XoUgxEg.jpg

bgupfdd.jpg

After 2-3 restarts as you see here Therese has reached the end of the map.  No, she doesn't disappear after reaching the objective tile.  Instead this triggers the boss to show up.

Luring the bandit?  Nope, not working.  He goes after the unit with the lowest stats and it seems like he's picked Therese.  Bye bye treasure.

YFbkP60.jpg

Philipp looks like a recruitable character in the future.

He's a Bavarian mercenary who seems to have unwillingly thrown himself in with this lot.  He regrets fighting in an area where civilians can be caught in the crossfire and he wishes he can just hookup with a lovely French woman.  Sain/Gatrie much?  But what can you expect?  Dude's got a flower pinned to his vest.  He's one of those dashing cavalryman archetypes. 

0Y12wrX.jpg

PTd4BGC.jpg

I forgot if I've ever seen this type of enemy before.  But looks intimidating.  Must be the manly 'stache.

>Threatening:  Okay making someone unhealable is just fucking unfair.

xFoCxul.jpg

Philipp mentioned that he lost Ernestine.  Must be his younger sister.

Self Protection seems to let him sustain combat without relying on a healer, but he ends up being unable to do heroic attacks.  His speed is terrifyingly high, and he's equally resistant to swords and bullets.

His other skill is Morale Strike, which as it says, allows him to lower morale and render heroic statuses void.

z98C7bm.jpg

Death's Head Hussars or not, Paulette don't give a fuck.  Your skull is but a stepping stone to her.

V2Fm74v.jpg

eq0MmK1.jpg

You can't render Threatening if you die in one hit.

QDHNrwc.jpg

>that speed

>that miss

U5T65Dq.jpg

PSxOoAS.jpg

A tune can only heal so much.  Channel your inner Beethoven. 

PGYBBl3.jpg

Yeah okay I can't deal with a boss battle and bandits at the same time.  Fuck this challenge objective.

z1fPmYJ.jpg

Never underestimate the power of classical music!

qRYw8sa.jpg

PSxOoAS.jpg

She may only have 4 speed but good luck killing her

xmTqeyF.jpg

360noscope motherfucker

jqASg4A.jpg

Sorry pal, your princess is in another castle.

Philipp doesn't die.  He retreats to fight another day.

mRjrY0E.jpg

iXCulbo.jpg

The bandit just can't stop harassing Therese and ends up killed.  So much for luring.

i2wCIz2.jpg

I will be very bummed if full collection of trophies is required for some secret character or weapon or job class

iiBUmTL.jpg

The party discusses how so many enemies managed to make their way into Paris of all places without nobody knowing.  Traitors in our midst?  The powers of a maid?!  Pauline believes seeking out Mirabeau would be the best course of action. 

They also wonder why the enemies weren't so sneaky.  Maybe Philipp made such bold moves because he felt bad about using Parisians as a bullet sponge?  Who knows.

Also Therese is sad because people died and this is nothing like her bedtime fairytales.  Boohoo.

RF0crqM.jpg

apO6V8V.jpg

qVEZv3l.jpg

o0PIhW3.jpg

NHXzQ6Y.jpg

At the rate at which I gain favor with the royalists, I'm sure Robespierre will end up being an enemy at some point

r7PmQE2.jpg

D1b9sXB.jpg

GHLQxxO.jpg