Ashe is good; Change my mind

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Still, Ashe offers very little unique to give him an advantage over his peers. No OP combat arts (like Point-Blank Volley) or combat-enhancing personals (like Persecution Complex). And hus growths lend themselves to a lackluster strength stat. I have to ask, though - what class was your friend using Ashe in, when he gave an MVP-level performance? And should "extreme luck with crits and dodges" really be attributed to how good a unit is, overall?

iirc he was either sniper or bow knight, don't really remember

btw I do agree with the overall point that ashe is among the bottom half of the cast in terms of "strength" and probably even utility, but a thing I like about FE in general is that even a shitty unit with some luck can be decent (level up rng, the inverse can be true too), this adds to the repleyability because the -actual- usefulness of a unit is something that can only be estimated while playing -in the moment-

using my friend's Ashe as an example again, seeing as his Ashe probably got great level ups in his early game, should he have benched him because "there are better options"? the answer is: probably not. you update your unit evaluation with the new information you've got, a RNG blessed Ashe can be way better than some actual "stronger" units

Fire Emblem as a whole is a game where you adapt to the circumstances the RNG throws at you, both in battle and out of battle while planning, if a shitty character gets blessed you use him, if a strong character gets cursed you can bench him

Using better units means minimizing the possible effects of bad RNG, not erasing it from the game (still, if you wanted to play optimally you should minimize bad RNG obviously)

5 hours ago, AxelVDP said:

using my friend's Ashe as an example again, seeing as his Ashe probably got great level ups in his early game, should he have benched him because "there are better options"? the answer is: probably not. you update your unit evaluation with the new information you've got, a RNG blessed Ashe can be way better than some actual "stronger" units

This is absolutely true of course. If Ashe gains 5 str and 5 spd in his first five levels, then suddenly he's got offence which will be Felix-level for a good while, and continuing to use him makes a lot of sense. Naturally, the same is true of any unit whom you use for a bit if they get really strong levels (which is to say it doesn't apply to someone who may be benched immediately, but does apply to Ashe).

When people talk about Ashe being good/decent/not so good, they are generally referring to an average RNG experience, or making a value judgement before we see their first rolls. I don't think anyone has called Ashe completely devoid of value or thinks he should always be benched immediately on every playthrough.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, AxelVDP said:

this is the first time I've seen an admin shitpost more than a regular user in a thread, are you not supposed to provide a positive example to the userbase?

what can i say, i'm here to have a good time

• 3 months later...

After redoing the Blue Lions Azure Moon on Maddening, I did a War Master build for Ashe and he was my top tier unit! He was incredibly evasive, hit hard, and quadrupled often, while also have a crit of 50+ against every single enemy with Killer Gauntlets. He was pivotal with taking down all the gremories, mortal savants, war masters, monsters, and the turrets in the final battle, including Hegemon Edelgard, taking a good 80% or more out of her whole life. This is the build I did in case anyone would ever like to try him out:

Ashe (War Master)

Fighter > Brigand > War Monk/Grappler > War Master

• Brawling Prowess
  • Brawling Evasion +20
  • Death Blow
  • Quick Riposte
  • Alert Stance

For evasion, you can amp him up a bit using an evasion ring and/or an evasive gambit, such as Jeralt's Mercenaries or Sylvain's Gautier Knights. I did a combination of the evasion ring with the Gautier Knights. Alert Stance (or Alert Stance+ if you have the time) is not essential as he was already very evasive, but it gives an extra boost during enemy phase when Ashe does his best work.  

Apart from this build, I also have a lot of success with his canon class, the Sniper. My partner has also done a really awesome build with an Axe/Bow hyrbid Wyvern Lord; he is unstoppable with Defiant Critical. 

In short, Ashe can definitely be a nasty unit if used correctly!