Current plan for character promotions

Regarding Felix's progression, it's 2 Strengths and a Neutrality not impossible by a long stretch. Regarding Warrior on Annette, Axes are a Strength for her and Magic isn't infinite, plus it's better on low Def high Res units like Magic users.

7 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Regarding Felix's progression, it's 2 Strengths and a Neutrality not impossible by a long stretch. Regarding Warrior on Annette, Axes are a Strength for her and Magic isn't infinite, plus it's better on low Def high Res units like Magic users.

Swords aren’t necessary for Felix here. He doesn’t get anything put of Swordmaster if he’s planning on becoming a WarMaster afterwards. It’s needless investment. Any tutoring put into Swords is tutoring that could have been put into getting his Axes/Brawling/Authority higher instead, or given to a different character.

5 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Felix doesn't need Athourity period. He's hurt by having Battalions.

His personal ability only adds 5 damage, which is great early on, but later in the game, you have access to Battalions that add more damage than that in addition to other stats and a Gambit.

13 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Battalions as early as C rank can surpass the attack that’s given by his personal, and give other stats too, like hit, crit and avoid.

The game really tries to discourage you from training authority on Felix, between his personal and his authority bane, but ultimately Battalions are so busted you’ll want to give him one eventually.

Edited by Anathaco

6 minutes ago, Whisky said:

His personal ability only adds 5 damage, which is great early on, but later in the game, you have access to Battalions that add more damage than that in addition to other stats and a Gambit

In fairness, on Normal/Hard Felix works out fine without any battalion at all, especially running Gauntlets. But yes, raising his Authority is still the more 'optimal' move.

24 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Regarding Warrior on Annette, Axes are a Strength for her and Magic isn't infinite, plus it's better on low Def high Res units like Magic users.

Even though Axes are a Strength on Annette, she's not gonna be doing impressive axe damage until B Axes and Bolt Axe, or getting up close from C+ onwards with the Lightning Axe CA. Unless you actually plan on making Axes her primary weapon, the energy spent raising it up to B+ is better used on speeding up Reason/Faith/Authority instead

Edited by haarhaarhaar

40 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

False. While his personal is good early on, in the long run, it's questionable when battalions that give boosts rivalling or even surpassing his personal come along. Hell, even a few E rank battalions give an attack boost that comes close to his personal anyway.

Edited by Shadow Mir

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

False. While his personal is good early on, in the long run, it's questionable when battalions that give boosts rivalling or even surpassing his personal come along. Hell, even a few E rank battalions give an attack boost that comes close to his personal anyway.

I concur with that as well because eventually you'll want him to equip higher rank battalions which offer way better stat buffs. Maybe it's fine to not give him a battalion early on for that 5 extra damage since low rank battalions barely offer anything better at the moment. But again, raising his authority while it is a bane, will be worth it for him in the long term. I'd say once you get him to Authority rank D or C you'll start to notice the difference already. 

Also @ChaosStar0 if you're going for end game classes like War Master or Wyvern Lord, you got to make sure you're being realistic about the class progressions and that you're not getting side tracked too much. Even on normal mode where you can abuse free battles that can take forever. So we'll assume for a minute that you're doing hard/maddening where there are no free battles. If you want Felix for example to reach Warmaster/Grappler, then the best progress is to work on axes and gauntlets. You could go for a vantage/wrath build for him if you want to temporarily tutor him in swords for a bit (assuming you're picking Blue Lions off the bat) up to rank D+ at minimum to certify him as a mercenary. Then from there go for Death Blow then upgrade him to Warrior and then get Wrath and then Warmaster for Quick Riposte. Or if you want him to be a Grappler whose more of a player phase focused class, then ignore the vantage + wrath combo and just get him Death Blow (maybe brawl avoid +20 if you're willing to train his faith up to C rank at minimum while getting his brawling to B+ and simply leaving axes at rank D+ at minimum for Brigand), and then get Tomebreaker and Fierce Iron Fist which allows you to attack three times. 

So my (and everyone else's) point in all of this, plan out your class progression a little more thoroughly so that way you'll reach your end game class quicker

22 hours ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Regarding Felix's progression, it's 2 Strengths and a Neutrality not impossible by a long stretch.

You're still wasting effort trying to raise three skills when one of them will be irrelevant in the long run. Also, while I think Swordmaster is a decent class, the combat art you get for mastering it is useless.

22 hours ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Regarding Warrior on Annette, Axes are a Strength for her and Magic isn't infinite, plus it's better on low Def high Res units like Magic users.

Magic isn't infinite, but heavy weapons (axes) and fragile units (mages) don't mix. Especially when your class path largely is a magic one. About the only good reason to train Annette in axes is if you wanted to use the Bolt Axe, which is a laughable weapon with high weight and poor hit.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Magic isn't infinite, but heavy weapons (axes) and fragile units (mages) don't mix. Especially when your class path largely is a magic one. About the only good reason to train Annette in axes is if you wanted to use the Bolt Axe, which is a laughable weapon with high weight and poor hit.

Which is mitigated by the 19 base strength of Warrior.

Edit: Alright I gave it some more thought and decided to change it up a little. Each house now has a unit natively in it that qualifies for each of these archtypes: Lord, Mounted Hybrid, Archer, Flyer, Master Magician, Counterattacker, Tank, and Support. I had to do quite a bit of thinking for this and it may not be perfect.

Edited by ChaosStar0

Byleth is better in physical classes than in magical ones (I learnt this the hard way). But even if you really want magic Byleth, Bishop is almost completely useless for Byleth (the class gives no offensive boosts, Recover is good but on its own it's not enough to justify being in a healing class, Renewal from mastery isn't really necessary because you have healers). And if you're gonna end up in Enlightened One anyway, you may as well just get Death Blow (since Enlightened One is best with swords, so you want skills that buff physical attack, and there are no proficiency requirements needed to use the class so you can train Axe for a bit). 

1 hour ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Which is mitigated by the 19 base strength of Warrior.

Edit: Alright I gave it some more thought and decided to change it up a little. Each house now has a unit natively in it that qualifies for each of these archtypes: Lord, Mounted Hybrid, Archer, Flyer, Master Magician, Counterattacker, Tank, and Support. I had to do quite a bit of thinking for this and it may not be perfect.

That works roughly, I think. For Blue Lions and Golden Deer, at least- who’s the flier and who’s the counter attacker for Black Eagles?

4 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Petra is the Flier and Caspar is the Counterattacker.

I see. So Ferdinand is the tank I suppose? Then who is the mounted hybrid?

16 minutes ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Byleth is better in physical classes than in magical ones (I learnt this the hard way). But even if you really want magic Byleth, Bishop is almost completely useless for Byleth (the class gives no offensive boosts, Recover is good but on its own it's not enough to justify being in a healing class, Renewal from mastery isn't really necessary because you have healers). And if you're gonna end up in Enlightened One anyway, you may as well just get Death Blow (since Enlightened One is best with swords, so you want skills that buff physical attack, and there are no proficiency requirements needed to use the class so you can train Axe for a bit). 

Plus even as EO you can just get Byleth's Faith Rank up to C Rank just for Recover so you can at least have a emergency back up heal in case things get hairy. So yea Swordfaire + Death Blow works really well together. Plus Byleth gets WIndsweep which is one of the better sword combat arts to use. And EO even has a ranged option with Swordfaire using a forged Levin Sword as well

10 hours ago, Anathaco said:

I see. So Ferdinand is the tank I suppose? Then who is the mounted hybrid?

Here are the Archetypes and who's in what.

Lords: Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude

Mounted Hybrid: Hubert, Sylvain, Lorenz

Tank: Ferdinand, Dedue, Raphael

Master Magician: Dorothea, Annette, Lysithea

Counterattacker: Caspar, Felix, Hilda

Flier: Petra, Ingrid, Leonie

Archer: Bernadetta, Ashe, Ignatz

Support: Linhardt, Mercedes, Marianne

Edit: Though I could be convinced to swap Hilda and Raphael.

Edited by ChaosStar0

9 minutes ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Here are the Archetypes and who's in what.

Lords: Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude

Mounted Hybrid: Hubert, Sylvain, Lorenz

Tank: Ferdinand, Dedue, Raphael

Master Magician: Dorothea, Annette, Lysithea

Counterattacker: Caspar, Felix, Hilda

Flier: Petra, Ingrid, Leonie

Archer: Bernadetta, Ashe, Ignatz

Support: Linhardt, Mercedes, Marianne

Edit: Though I could be convinced to swap Hilda and Raphael.

I think that works well.

The only issue is that the counterattackers prefer to be in different classes- Felix and Caspar work as war masters but Hilda can’t be one. So you could swap Hilda and Raphael, or you could make Hilda a Wyvern Lord/other class instead.

6 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

I think that works well.

The only issue is that the counterattackers prefer to be in different classes- Felix and Caspar work as war masters but Hilda can’t be one. So you could swap Hilda and Raphael, or you could make Hilda a Wyvern Lord/other class instead.

Blame Tom Fawkes's LP of Three Houses. It was the first Three Houses LP I watched and he made Hilda an Armored Knight and I loved it. Haven't seen post Time Skip though. So yeah, Hilda will always go Heavy Armor in my mind.

22 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

I think that works well.

Hilda does well as a Wyvern Lord and she also does pretty well using a Bow, either as a Bow wielding Pegasus Knight/Wyvern Rider or even as a Sniper/Bow Knight.

Her personal ability increases the damage of adjacent male allies, so using a Bow allows you to damage an enemy from 2 spaces away, setting up for a male ally to come in for the kill right next to her to benefit from her personal ability. This can be combined with her Budding Talent; Seal Spd, to lower an enemies Spd from a distance setting up for allies to double enemies more easily. If you do this as a Bow wielding Wyvern Rider, you can also combine with it Wyvern Rider’s mastery ability; Seal Def. Also, Canto from Wyvern Rider allows her to kill an enemy and then move into a better position to take advantage of her personal ability.

Sniper is good for the range benefits mentioned above along with great killing power from Hunter’s Volley, and Bow Knight would make her a good support unit by combining her personal ability, Seal Spd, and Canto, as well as high range, but she won’t have Seal Def this way.

-

Another cool thing about Hilda is that she can learn Bolting if you want to try her out in a magic class to take advantage of that. Maybe War Cleric so that she can still be physically strong? Magic attacks can still combine with Seal Spd and attacking from range with magic has the same advantages I already mentioned about Bows.

Edited by Whisky

2 hours ago, ChaosStar0 said:

Blame Tom Fawkes's LP of Three Houses. It was the first Three Houses LP I watched and he made Hilda an Armored Knight and I loved it. Haven't seen post Time Skip though. So yeah, Hilda will always go Heavy Armor in my mind.

Fair enough haha. Hilda can certainly put in work as an armoured unit.